Journey to Elite

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That thing is freaking awesome. I was able to really hit a tiny strip in my glutes that has been tight as hell an it alleviated it. I'll just have to get a new one of each.
Holliday wish list ma man

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
12/9

Floor Press
230x5x3

HS Row (neutral)
190x8x4

Incline DB Press
60x12x2

BB Curls/Pullapart Series
85x10x3/10x3

Tate Press
30x15x2

Irritated my right AC further on my last set of FP. I've iced it and took Aleve as soon as I got home. Hopefully, this will mitigate some of the inflammation tomorrow. However, I was noticing extra speed in my sets at 230, which is encouraging for the future.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
12/11

OHP
135x8
150x7
150x8

Pull-ups (neutral)
BWx8
BWx6x2

Prone Incline DB Shrugs/Band Facepulls (light)
70x15x3/15x3

Getting back some mobility in my upper back after some good massage and shoulder dislocations. OHP felt good and I was able to go slightly heavier. I tried to do some dips, but it didn't feel right and I scrapped them. I was a tad too aggressive with the MFR around my biceps tendon and bruised the fascia. It didn't hold me back on OHP, but it was quite uncomfortable on dips.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
12/13

Incline BP

185x5x2
195x5
205x8 (Ram)

Prone Incline DB Shrugs
75x15x3

DB Preacher Curl
30x8x4

Band Ex Rotations (mini)
15x3

Nothing too special here. Just getting some work done and playing it safe. Some of the guys shirted up and it made me a little sad inside.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
12/16

Seated DB Press
50x10
60x10x2

Inverted Rows
BWx15x4

BB Curls/Pullaparts (mini)
85x10x3/15x3

Rolling DB Ex/DB Shrugs
40x10/70x15
40x10/80x15

I wanted to do some DE FP, but my AC is rather inflamed right now and it was a no go. I'm slowly working out a gnarly adhesion in the upper trap that is exacerbating the situation and causing extra tightness in the area.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How did the AC joint handle the presses?

I'm going to a sports masseuse tomorrow to have her work all the crap out in my back. Maybe that'll help mine.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Better take care of that thing Ryan. It might be almost time to see a doc...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How did the AC joint handle the presses?

I'm going to a sports masseuse tomorrow to have her work all the crap out in my back. Maybe that'll help mine.
Overhead and DB presses are fine. There's no irritation as long as I remain tight in my upper back.

Better take care of that thing Ryan. It might be almost time to see a doc...
This is very reminiscent of what happened to me in '10. At that time, the AC was inflamed due to internal rotation of the humerus. This is about the same thing, but its's more retraction of the humerus and less of the internal rotation. I can palpate the area and it temporarily alleviates the pain when I gently massage the area.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
12/18

WYT
15x6x3

Cambered Curls
75x10
95x8x2
75x12-pause-6

Seated DB Preacher Curls
30x8x2

DB Shrugs
80x15x3

Rope Pressdowns/Incline Rear Fly
70x12x3/40x12x3

I'm more or less hitting weak points and focusing on increasing both the ROM and strength of the RC concurrently. I did a ton of band traction prior to doing any lifting and I could feel my humerus being driven back into socket along with more upper back mobility. While it's frustrating that I can barely do any pressing outside of OHP and maybe incline, this will give me time to recharge my head and move forward in the new year.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
12/22 Lower

Box Squat
135x3x10

GM
95x10x4

Band Pallof Press (light)
8x4

I've never been so happy to box squat with 135 as I was today. Zero pain in the QL during the sets and I was really able to feel the psoas stretching and working during the Pallof. I did the hip mobility that was recently posted by EFS and it is a fücking godsend for anyone with hip mobility or stiffness. I usually have some clicking in my right hip, but this almost immediately cleared it up and also helped to open up the glutes to dig out some adhesions.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Was that the band article that Napalm posted?

And it's nice to see a lower day in here again!

napalm

napalm

Awards
Heal up bud, I'm trying the hip thing tomorrow...

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subbed. Nice work in here Rodja.

I'm looking into this hip article right now.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Got a link for it?

Is it the mini band one?

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Awesome news!

And that hip series is boss

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
12/24

OHP
140x8
150x8
160x8
140x8

Meadows Row
90x12x3

Incline DB Press
65x10x3

Inverted Rows/Pullaparts (monster mini)
BWx10x3/10x3

Rope Pressdowns
70x12x2

Outside of OHP, I dropped the weight and focused on TUT. The EQ is making for some painful pumps and muscle contractions even on the warm up and feel sets. There was some slight discomfort in the AC during the day, but nothing significant.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You've motivated me to do some real overhead work and not my baby weight. Thank you.

Good lookin work

Is EQ, test?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You've motivated me to do some real overhead work and not my baby weight. Thank you. Good lookin work Is EQ, test?
No, it's a different anabolic altogether. I am concurrently using it with test, though.

Oh, I should mention that I'm in full mass-gain mode. The goal is 240 and then trim up to ~230.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No, it's a different anabolic altogether. I am concurrently using it with test, though. Oh, I should mention that I'm in full mass-gain mode. The goal is 240 and then trim up to ~230.
Awesome dude. Following IF or the stuff your face doctrine?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
12/27

Incline BP
185x5
205x5
225x2

HS Row
170x10x4

Rolling DB Ex/Seated DB Curls
40x10x3/40x8x3

Band Facepulls/Pressdowns (light)
15x3/15x3

The bug bites again for me. On my last set of incline, I strained something in my left anterior delt. I was tight and stable during the set and I was about to hit a PR. There's not much inflammation in the are this morning so I'm optimistic it'll be a minor problem.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
12/30

Box Squat (low bar)
185x3x2
205x3x2
225x1

GM
135x8x3

DB Bulgarian SS
BW+20x10x3

Band Pallof Press (light)
8x3

Checked off 225 on the road back to squatting and I'm definitely ahead of schedule. I'm having to rebuild my muscular endurance in my hips and QL as I felt both fatiguing during the box squats and GM.

It's slightly cart before the horse, but I'm most likely going to implement a Cube and 5/3/1 hybrid. I love the volume of within Cube, but wanted something more organized for the fourth day of training. It's more or less Cube rotation and 5/3/1 for OHP.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm glad to here that things are looking up again for squats, buddy. How's the shoulder?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm glad to here that things are looking up again for squats, buddy. How's the shoulder?
Slowly getting better. I attempted the bar on bench last week and it still felt all sorts of bad. The tweak last week is a little tender to pressure, but there's no pain in any position right now.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Slowly getting better. I attempted the bar on bench last week and it still felt all sorts of bad. The tweak last week is a little tender to pressure, but there's no pain in any position right now.
Eh. Eventually. At least the squat bar doesn't bug it.

smoker145

Where is the pain? I know you said left anterior. I had something bugging me like that not too long ago. It only seemed up hurt when the bar was lowered to my chest

I think it was more rhomboid

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Where is the pain? I know you said left anterior. I had something bugging me like that not too long ago. It only seemed up hurt when the bar was lowered to my chest I think it was more rhomboid
It's in the area where the pec attaches, but it's the anterior delt. I had a minor strain of the pec in that area last year, but it took me maybe 10 days before I was back at it.

smoker145

It's in the area where the pec attaches, but it's the anterior delt. I had a minor strain of the pec in that area last year, but it took me maybe 10 days before I was back at it.
Oh ok.
Does it bother rowing? Or have you not tested that yet. And that's good it doesn't affect you squatting

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
1/1

OHP
135x5
150x8
135x10

Meadows Row (weight added)
90x12
115x10x3

Incline DB Press
70x12x2
70x9

Neutral HS Row
145x10x2

BB Curls/Side Laterals
85x10x3/25x10x3

Overhead Rope Ex
60x15x2
60x12

I've started my OHP 5/3/1 since it'll give me some more structure than just freestyling it, which I've had to do for awhile now. I was hoping to get 10 on my working set, but ran out of gas at 8. No big deal as I still hit well over the prescribed reps for the day. Other than that, I've changed the rep schemes on the assistance to more TUT for extra hypertrophy especially in the chest and lats.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm with you on the chest/lat hypertrophy train. Your shirt is going to be awfully tight.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm with you on the chest/lat hypertrophy train. Your shirt is going to be awfully tight.
It's the arms of the Ace shirt that are the tightest area, but that's months away right now. I've been 235 and it was tight, but nothing unbearable.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
1/2

Conventional Deads
225x3x7

Uni Leg Press (weight added)
270x15x4

Rounding Hypers/DB Side Bends
BWx15x2/70x10x2
BWx15/80x10

Uni DB Shrugs
80x10x3

On the road back to recovery. For those that are curious, the rounding hypers are something that I came up with a couple of years back. They're done on a back raise with a neutral spine, chin tucked, and curl your torso. I've found that, for me at least, these really help to hit the QL and I didn't have any back issues at the time. I did the DB shrugs one arm at a time for additional anti-lateral flexion while I hit some upper back.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Bleh, conventional. And good idea on the hypers and uni-shrugs. Gonna give it a whirl.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bleh, conventional. And good idea on the hypers and uni-shrugs. Gonna give it a whirl.
I've been playing around with the idea of only using conventional for ME work and sumo for DE work. I figure it'll save my hips, build a weak point, and still allow me to get some sumo work in throughout the month.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've been playing around with the idea of only using conventional for ME work and sumo for DE work. I figure it'll save my hips, build a weak point, and still allow me to get some sumo work in throughout the month.
Good stuff. I like that idea of ME Convo. You can always take advantage of blocks, too.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good plan, my thoughts exactly on getting stronger on my "wrong" deadlift.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That must be why my pulls suck, because I don't sumo.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Conventional builds sumo, but sumo doesn't build conventional. I will be a sumo puller unless there's a reason that I can no longer do it as I am built to pull that way.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Agreed. You and Sean both are slanted that way hard, along with a few other guys... I was really just joking around. Sumo would have some carry over to squat though I'd think. Can't really say as I don't do it or understand the mechanics as well past a basic level.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Agreed. You and Sean both are slanted that way hard, along with a few other guys... I was really just joking around. Sumo would have some carry over to squat though I'd think. Can't really say as I don't do it or understand the mechanics as well past a basic level.
Not that much due to the lack of eccentric contraction.