joh408's Longterm Quest for Fitness

joh408

Awards
  • Established
They'd crazy repping that 140 on OHP. I can't wait to get there.

Haven't done cage presses in a minute. Nice work Justin.
Thanks Thomas. My OHP has been steadily climbing this time around.

I was feeling them today. Good burn in the traps with the shrugs at the top too

....Everything in those workouts is heavy! Becoming a powerhouse
Thanks man!

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks Thomas. My OHP has been steadily climbing this time around. I was feeling them today. Good burn in the traps with the shrugs at the top too Thanks man!
That's exactly what I was thinking as soon as I read those!! Holy burn!!! Nice work Justin!

joh408

Awards
  • Established
Long break off... Spent the week with family and friends without a gym. Hope everyone had a great Christmas.

Back at it today at a barebones rec center near my parents house:

Legs

Squats
45x10
135x5
185x5
225x3
295x5
330x3
365x1
405x1
http://instagram.com/p/xNecUhKp0G/
425x1 (+20lb PR)
Phone died midset so no video. Not even a grind.
445x0
Unrack felt off. Couldn't get it settled. Reracked without an attempt. No sense in getting hurt

Seated Leg Curls
5 sets of 10

Leg Extensions
5 sets of 10

Hip Abduction
4 sets of 15

Hip Adduction
4 sets of 15

First time squatting in sleeves. Ordered a size or two too small haha. Just the EFS normal cloth sleeves. Definitely getting some rebound out of them. Need to order a size up or just deal with it until they stretch out. I couldn't figure out the measurements to use for the sizing and I was getting ridiculous numbers for calves and quads so I went with large thinking they make them for lifters so they might fit.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Puttin in work?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I spoke too soon.

I think you posted the wrong video. That one went way too fast to be 405, especially for not attempting 425.

Maybe that was 225?

Lol. Very nice man.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
Nice PR, joh. Smart call to rerack 445. Can't train if you're dead lol

joh408

Awards
  • Established
I spoke too soon.

I think you posted the wrong video. That one went way too fast to be 405, especially for not attempting 425.

Maybe that was 225?

Lol. Very nice man.
Thanks Thomas!

405 felt really easy today haha. All that holiday eating and a week off I guess. 425 was almost as fast. I had really good unracks on 365, 405 and 425. Got the hips under, caught my air in one fluid motion and I felt locked in and tight. Not much extra movement. Need to replicate that on every set.

Nice PR, joh. Smart call to rerack 445. Can't train if you're dead lol
Thanks man! I was super pumped about the 425 going so smooth. Wanted a bigger PR but as soon as I walked it out I knew it wasn't there. Gotta train smart to stay healthy

joh408

Awards
  • Established
Christmas haul:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419899915.737674.jpg

EliteFTS sleeves
Sabo deadlift shoes
Rogue 24" wrist wraps
Slingshot compression cuff (need to order another one)
Jam Transit Bluetooth headphones

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice man. I've been thinking lately about getting wrist supports. I'm prob not fr from knee wraps either.

joh408

Awards
  • Established
Nice man. I've been thinking lately about getting wrist supports. I'm prob not fr from knee wraps either.
My wrists have been hurting for the last couple weeks on presses. Rogue wrist wraps are cheap so I might as well try them out. I'll get some heavier duty ones if I'm presses need it later.

I'm holding off on knee wraps for a bit tho

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Brace a little harder for your unracks and do some heavy walkouts and you can move to the head of the class with a 460-something squat PR in a matter of a few weeks, buddy.

joh408

Awards
  • Established
Brace a little harder for your unracks and do some heavy walkouts and you can move to the head of the class with a 460-something squat PR in a matter of a few weeks, buddy.
Thanks for the tips herder! I was thinking about adding in some walkouts so hopefully that'll help on maximal lifts

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Getting any work in?

joh408

Awards
  • Established
Getting any work in?
Unfortunately no... Got sick for a bit, couldn't hold anything down and was getting nauseous when I tried to lift a couple times. Decided to go to the mountains to enjoy the last couple days of break. Will be back in the gym soon and my school schedule is set up so I have clear lifting times every day so I am going to make up for this extended break.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The gym will always be there.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Jumping straight into singles? Beast...

joh408

Awards
  • Established
Jumping straight into singles? Beast...
Might as well. Should get an idea of how I'm feeling with rep work. Could make it a doubles or triples day too depending on how it goes.

joh408

Awards
  • Established
Back in the gym and hit another squat PR at 440. Need to film these but I was at the last half rack where there's nowhere to set it down. Next time I'll get more and film it

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
Back in the gym and hit another squat PR at 440. Need to film these but I was at the last half rack where there's nowhere to set it down. Next time I'll get more and film it
Nice!!!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice job Justin.

joh408

Awards
  • Established
Thanks yall! Felt great to be back in the gym. Should be able to hit legs again this week

joh408

Awards
  • Established
Legs

Squats
High bar:
45x10
135x5
185x5
225x3
300x5
+belt
330x3
365x1
396x1
440x1 PR

Walkout:
500 for 10 seconds

Squats
Low Bar
-belt
225x5x5

RDLs
135x10
185x10x3

Leg Press
360x15
450x15
540x15
630x15

Leg Extensions
150x15
170x15x2
170x15+30 partials out of bottom

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Strong numbers man. I'm gonna try and do similar work with high/low bar.

joh408

Awards
  • Established
Strong numbers man. I'm gonna try and do similar work with high/low bar.
I'm miserable at low bar. Can't get tight enough and my shoulders lack the mobility to be any closer than collars plus I can't get my elbows down. But I gotta try to stick with it for more than a session or two

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm miserable at low bar. Can't get tight enough and my shoulders lack the mobility to be any closer than collars plus I can't get my elbows down. But I gotta try to stick with it for more than a session or two
You're pretty strong at high bar tho. I bet if you could get low bar down you'd jump up quickly.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Wow!! Congrats on the PR!! That's huge!!

joh408

Awards
  • Established
Chest/Shoulders

Bench
45x10
95x5
115x5
135x3
175x5
195x3
225x1
265x1 Paused PR
285x1 TnG PR

Incline Bench
45x10
95x5
135x5
155x5
165x5
175x5
185x5
195x4

Mechanical Dropset:
Slight Bend Side Lateral Raise -> 90' Bent Arm Side Lateral Raise
30x12x2
30x10->30x8

Front Raise:
25x12x3

Machine Flyes
90x15
110x15
130x15
150x10

Machine Rear Delts
70x12
90x12
110x12
120x12

Neck Press
95x10
115x10
135x10x3

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sweet volume, and nice PRs! I like the way you set up your routines a lot.

joh408

Awards
  • Established
Sweet volume, and nice PRs! I like the way you set up your routines a lot.
Thanks man! A lot of it is based on what equipment is open and keeping a balance for these chest and shoulder days so I can keep progressing on OHP too

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
PR city up in here!

joh408

Awards
  • Established
Reading through Renaissance Diet as I'm looking to lean up a bit and came up with these macro ratios with the timing:

Any thoughts?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm not a fan of one-size-fits-all diets, but it could be a good starting point if you aren't 100% on how your body responds. I'm doing a slow cut at 3100c, approx 300p/260-280c/70-90f. That 40/40/20 works well for me.

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Best thing to do is try it. Give it a week or so and see how you respond..then make slight changes till you get what works best for you.
RegisterJr liking those numbers ... I know you are not really taking many rest days currently, but when you do are you dropping cals are staying constant?

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
I think low-bar will suit you well once your accustomed to it. At the moment, you don't seem to be staying as upright as you should be with a traditional high bar squat (this could be due to a number of factors...including the angling of the video). With low-bar, a little lean like you have, isn't as big of a deal.

Congrats on the PR!

Edit: this was meant for reg's log...my bad! Lol

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Best thing to do is try it. Give it a week or so and see how you respond..then make slight changes till you get what works best for you.
RegisterJr liking those numbers ... I know you are not really taking many rest days currently, but when you do are you dropping cals are staying constant?
I will be, yes. My rest days have been few so far... It will depend on that days activity, but probably 2500-ish. I usually move quite a bit, especially on the weekends.
I think low-bar will suit you well once your accustomed to it. At the moment, you don't seem to be staying as upright as you should be with a traditional high bar squat (this could be due to a number of factors...including the angling of the video). With low-bar, a little lean like you have, isn't as big of a deal.

Congrats on the PR!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I will be, yes. My rest days have been few so far... It will depend on that days activity, but probably 2500-ish. I usually move quite a bit, especially on the weekends.

Congrats on the PR!

I heard you the first time. Geesh. lol

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
l
Might not even need to with the minimal rest days you are taking.. and like you said if active anyway..