Jas's Strongman Training log

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
When I explode off of my chest, I have a tendency to thrust my back backwards but not to a ridiculous degree from what I can tell. Honestly, I sometimes contort my back to finding the easiest angle of pressing, not on purpose, it just happens. My 225-3 set last week was probably ugly as hell. Using a belt really helps on these if you ever do them. It gives you something to sort of resist backwards against. It might help with push pressing as well since you said that you used to do those.

Good luck on the ME bench.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
When I explode off of my chest, I have a tendency to thrust my back backwards but not to a ridiculous degree from what I can tell. Honestly, I sometimes contort my back to finding the easiest angle of pressing, not on purpose, it just happens. My 225-3 set last week was probably ugly as hell. Using a belt really helps on these if you ever do them. It gives you something to sort of resist backwards against. It might help with push pressing as well since you said that you used to do those.

Good luck on the ME bench.
Last time I did standing military presses half way through I noticed that I had turned it into basically a flat bench press. I'm pretty flexible/contortable?, and my torso must've been at about 20 degrees(exaggeration). Is today a day off for you? Do you ever feel like your CNS is taxed to hell? I know my CNS is fvcked when my left eye gets a little lazy, lol.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Yeah definitely feel like my CNS gets taxed to hell. When I first started doing the stone loads regularly and was trying to go heavy weekly on deads, I actually failed on a 1 rep warmup dead at 455. I knew my CNS was fried to hell if I failed at that. I think it's natural to thrust back on the standing military to explode off the chest.

Thurs.

BW: 219.3

deadlift:
515-1 PR
525-1 new PR :head:

widegrip pullups: 16
closegrip : 15

snatch:
135-3 (trying for max. speed)

550# hexbar (I guess most people call it the trapbar) hold:
32 seconds

core work

Well, I figured out the perfect preparation for deadlifting heavy. Usually I look at it too long and get nervous and go up to the bar then back away...... On a 455 warmup as I went down to grab the bar, my belt hit the volume button of my Ipod turning it up ridiculously loud. It was very unpleasant so I just wanted to do the rep as quickly as possible and I did it as easy as a 315 rep. This didn't allow me to worry about it and pace around. So I turned the music up really high on my other sets and it worked really well too. Not really ingenious or anything, but it did the trick.

My training partners said my 525 rep looked as painful as any deadlift rep that they had ever seen. I got it stuck about 5'' off the ground for maybe 3s or so and the full rep probably took over 5s. I didn't feel too bad, but we'll see how it is tomorrow. :run: I'm going to start doing some rack squats to give me some more power off the ground. Any suggestions on a rep scheme for these? Heavy singles?

I tried 5 RPM tonight, and it really performed well. I guess that I just wasn't taking enough and maybe spoke too soon. Unfortunately, I'm still really stimmed up, and it's midnight here. Might be a long night. Oh, and first day of Clout today.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Also, I only have a ****ty picture camera and not a phone camera, but I can lend it to you if you wanna take some movies to analyze your technique.
Poly, I might take you up on that camera offer some time. It would be good to see how it looks.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
I'm going to start doing some rack squats to give me some more power off the ground. Any suggestions on a rep scheme for these? Heavy singles?
By rack squats do you mean starting with the bar on the safety bars at the bottom of the squat? If so, that sounds like a good idea but heavy singles seem very injury prone.

I just re-read in starting strength (2nd edition) that in a correct deadlift the quads are used first to straighten the knee. So it sounds like you might try some front squats or something like that to strengthen your quads? (good practice for the clean, too).

Name the place and time for the camera, just give me a couple of hours of notice so that I can charge it.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
By rack squats do you mean starting with the bar on the safety bars at the bottom of the squat? If so, that sounds like a good idea but heavy singles seem very injury prone.

I just re-read in starting strength (2nd edition) that in a correct deadlift the quads are used first to straighten the knee. So it sounds like you might try some front squats or something like that to strengthen your quads? (good practice for the clean, too).

Name the place and time for the camera, just give me a couple of hours of notice so that I can charge it.
Yeah you start with the bar on the safety pins and squat it up to the standing position. It's not really a full squat, though. You start where you are weak in the movement. I think for me it would be about a 3/4 squat. The PL team guys do them.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
Yeah you start with the bar on the safety pins and squat it up to the standing position. It's not really a full squat, though. You start where you are weak in the movement. I think for me it would be about a 3/4 squat. The PL team guys do them.
Nice work on the PR.

I do rack squats for upper body strength in supporting heavy deads and squats and in preparing CNS for handling heavier loads.

I do not see how they will help the bottom part of the Deadlift at all.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Nice work on the PR.

I do rack squats for upper body strength in supporting heavy deads and squats and in preparing CNS for handling heavier loads.

I do not see how they will help the bottom part of the Deadlift at all.
Thanks.

The idea is to start with the bar at height so that if you reached your arms down, they would be in the position to grab a barbell resting on the floor. In a DL, the first part of the motion is mainly your legs starting to straighten with the angle that your back makes with the floor staying relatively constant. Since you are starting at the bottom, the rack squat simulates the leg drive/push off the bottom of the floor and should provide you with more explosive speed off of the ground.

A lot of local PLers use this training technique which I think may be a little more old school and combine it with rack pulls, stiff legs, and shrugs.

I may also try some high rep halting deads as well or instead of.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
post up a vid of your dead when you get a chance.

the lift is completed by driving the hips through and not by lifting with the legs. you never lift with your legs during any point in the lift and your back should never stay at the same angle. The angle of the back should change at the exact same rate (in an optimal world) as your legs. Because you are driving the hips forward...not doing a squat or a stiff leg dead.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Well, driving the hips through at the end isn't a concern for me so that's not what I'm trying to work on. I said the angle the back makes with the floor stays constant, meaning that as the bar rises your hips should open up too but at a rate that keeps that angle fairly constant at least for the first ~6'' or so of the lift.

By the time the bar gets to your knees, your knees should be getting close to being locked out (ie maybe at a 165-168 degree angle but it will depend on anatomy). If your legs aren't reasonably close to being locked out then the bar has to travel around your knees in a suboptimal (and probably painful) path. So the first part of the lift you should be straightening out your knees to a great degree and as you said your hips will open up as well. The rack squat will simulate this straightening out of the knee but your hips won't be back as far and your torso will be closer to erect than on a deadlift so (I think) you can use more weight.

I was definitely wrong when I said 3/4 of a squat a few posts ago. It should be more like the last 1/3 of the squat for the rack squat.

Anyway, I won't swear by the rack squat because I haven't ever done them, but I know some people that do swear by them.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Pump-up video for tomorrow's strongman training - 400# log press

Rage inducing video to fire up for tomorrow's workout. (Who the **** would do these?)

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
The second video, that should work for you, I mean I'm pretty pissed right now. Was the guy in the first video using a loop? The lift was ok, but I was more impressed by him lifting his foot off the floor when he had the weight overhead, haha. It's always hilarious when some monster does some ghey little movement. The WSM competitors celebrations are almost always incredibly feminine somehow.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Does it hurt your wrists to clean the log? That lift seems pretty incredible, especially at 21.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Rage inducing video to fire up for tomorrow's workout. (Who the **** would do these?)

I wonder in which podcast they show how to use the Swiss ball to efficiently handle copious amounts of gay c0ck.

You'll be surprised how hard you can work your arms without any weights.
Yeah, OK, good luck with that buddy. :toofunny:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Does it hurt your wrists to clean the log? That lift seems pretty incredible, especially at 21.
It's never hurt mine too bad. When he sets it on his knees, some people really aim their hands down toward the ground and use a lot of wrist to roll it up. I actually don't use as much wrist, but a LOT of bicep which has been bothering them. His name is Nick Brugal and he has some other videos on Youtube. He's not as good at other stuff, but for 21 he's pretty amazing. I think the record on the log for anyone of any weight is 440.

If he was using a loop in the belt, after he set the log on his knees, he would have thrust his hips forward slightly to hook the loop under the log which acts as like a third arm coming out of the belly button to help lift the log.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I wonder in which podcast they show how to use the Swiss ball to efficiently handle copious amounts of gay c0ck.

Yeah, OK, good luck with that buddy. :toofunny:
Yeah, I like how there is a safety disclaimer at the beginning and some rockin' music in the background to get you fired up.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Sunday:

log press (1 clean then presses):
265-2

log cleans without using a loop:
225-3

tire flips in 60s:

farmer's walk with 190# per hand:
60 yards

My left arm was bothering me a little too much for the stones. At 265, the log is very hard to catch on your chest after you press it. You either smoke your chin or it falls forward and you have to really lean back and use your biceps to keep it up. I felt like I had another rep in me at 265 but I lost it coming back down to my chest after the 2nd one.

It was lower 50's today for the workout and it seems much harder to grip the rubber on the tire in this weather. This really gets my heart going.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Nice workout Big Dog. You should tell your GF about that. I'm sure she'll get a kick out of someone thinking that she would call you Big Dog, assuming she has a good personality and would never in her right mind call you something like that.

UNCfan1

UNCfan1

Awards
  • Established
Damn beast!!! 525lb deadlift, now thats what I am talking about!:dl:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Nice workout Big Dog. You should tell your GF about that. I'm sure she'll get a kick out of someone thinking that she would call you Big Dog, assuming she has a good personality and would never in her right mind call you something like that.
I told her and she was said "I would never call you that...." but thought that it was funny. Thanks Alex and UNC. Next week I'll try heavy singles on the log. 285 must fall :clean:

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
285 would be impressive. You were at 265 just a few weeks ago, right?

Deadlifting is weird, sometimes you have it sometimes you have nothing. I was looking back and like 3 weeks ago you did 455x2 and then a few days ago you did 525x1, thats a pretty big discrepancy. Glad to see it's coming along for you.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
285 would be impressive. You were at 265 just a few weeks ago, right?

Deadlifting is weird, sometimes you have it sometimes you have nothing. I was looking back and like 3 weeks ago you did 455x2 and then a few days ago you did 525x1, thats a pretty big discrepancy. Glad to see it's coming along for you.
I got 275 about 3 or 4 weeks ago, and 265 probably 2 months ago.

I f-ed up my back trying a third one at 455 that week I think. But yeah doing stones and DL every week was too much for me so I'm doing a high rep day week 1, then a heavy set of 1-3 week 2, then I take a week off or do something much less taxing on week 3. I don't feel overtrained / like my CNS is fried anymore.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like you've found a nice balance. You should do well in your next comp, unless Mullet comes down from Canada and whoops you weighing 170, and training in bodybuilding.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Tues.

BW: 221.8

Squat to a 14.75'' box:
405 - 8 PR

rack squats:
495-1
545-1
585-1
615-0

close grip rows (one end of barbell against wall and lift up other end with weight):
5 plates-10
6 plates-9

hold fat end of barbell for time:
90# on the end -
right-1:01
left-1:03

125# on the end -
right-:33
left-:31

hypers

Squats felt great today. I wanted to try another rep at 405 but I was so light-headed that it seemed like a bad idea. The rack squats really hit my quads which I think are quite weak. This is probably what's killing me at the start of my deadlift.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Wed.

BW: 223.4

Standing military:
230-0
230-2

Incline:
335-2

dips:
BW+90 - 10
BW+135 - 9

shoulder assist

I need to come up with a better system than trying for heavy triples every week on standing military. Maybe I'll use dumbells next week to mix it up. The clout seems to be adding a few pounds....

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
You've put on a good 10 pounds in what 3-4 months? Is it all quality, or have you noticed a little fat gain? It'll be nice to be a big MW instead of competing against guys that weigh 20-30 pounds more than you. What happened with the first set of standing military presses?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
A little fat gain :donut: but overall it's pretty decent :bb2: . I think just the different training with strongman equip has helped me pack on a lot of mass especially in the upper legs, glutes (all of my jeans are getting really tight), core, and upper back. Some of it is probably water gain from the clout.

Haha, not sure exactly what happened on the first set. I guess I just didn't get a good explosion off the bottom and maybe left the bar a little too far forward. The second set was ugly as hell too. I took a step on the first rep and the spotter put his hand on my back because he thought that I might fall backwards. Like I said, I think that I need to drop down, maybe to sets of 5, because each rep at that weight is tough enough that I could fail and my back takes a beating shifting under the weight. I wasn't going to go so heavy but a warmup rep at 205 felt really good.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Thurs.

BW: 221.5

stiff legged overhand DL from 6 or 7'' platform (simulate start of stone load for cardio):
275-15

snatch:
175-3
190-2
200-1 PR
205-1 PR

wide grip pullups:
BW-14
BW-14

550# trapbar hold:
27s (hmm seem to be getting worse each week...)

core work

exercise bike-high intensity-10 min.

I think that I'll work on my cardio to help me on stone loads, high rep deads and squats. Nothing crazy just like 10 minutes of fairly high intensity stuff about twice per week.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Pump up video for the workout today. Kaz log pressing 345 and then 355. He does it dynamically which I've never seen anyone else do.

Alex, my back bends like his does on his 355 attempt on some of my standing military's.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Wow, Kaz was amazing, worst form/technique possible, and still no problem. Good luck on strongman day, Jasito.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Sunday

log press:
280-1 PR
285-0 (locked out and standing up but taking steps and I bailed before disaster)

farmer's hold with 280# per hand: 36.21 s PR

farmer's walk with 230# per hand: 30 yards

atlas stone loads over 50'' bar in 60s:
with 235# stone - 5 (fvcked up and got stuffed by the bar on 6)
with 160# stone - 11

235# log cleans (no loop used) : 3

I think that with another attempt or two I could have gotten 285 on the log but we were out of time. My log cleans without the loop are getting real smooth, kind of like the one at 400 in last week's pump up vid.

I'm pretty happy with how my holds are progressing.

Storms all night and rain this morning yet some how it was perfect by lifting time. Lucky us.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Nice workout. I'm always envious of your Sunday workouts, seems like a lot of fun. I'm pretty sure I'll train strongman style pretty soon. I think I would have to get my umbilical hernia fixed before hand. That's gonna suck, I won't be able to do much for a few months.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Nice workout. I'm always envious of your Sunday workouts, seems like a lot of fun. I'm pretty sure I'll train strongman style pretty soon. I think I would have to get my umbilical hernia fixed before hand. That's gonna suck, I won't be able to do much for a few months.
Yeah I look forward to Sundays. After the contest, though, there won't be anymore workouts until spring probably. Outside workouts in winter don't work too well here. Glad to hear about the strongman style training coming up soon.

Don't worry, I won't gain on you too much during those few months you're out. :twisted: (Now you respond about having a big enough lead.) Umbilical hernia...that's some weird ****. How'd you get it again?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure. I think I remember coughing hard and feeling a little pain in my bellybutton, but it wasn't until much later that I noticed I had an outtie bellybutton. The thing just kind of showed up, I never really felt any pain except maybe the coughing and now I'm rolling with an outtie. It almost never bothers me, but sometimes if its cold or maybe after a hard workout I'll feel it being a little tender.

I think outside workouts in the cold might be how all these Eastern European dudes get so strong?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure. I think I remember coughing hard and feeling a little pain in my bellybutton, but it wasn't until much later that I noticed I had an outtie bellybutton. The thing just kind of showed up, I never really felt any pain except maybe the coughing and now I'm rolling with an outtie. It almost never bothers me, but sometimes if its cold or maybe after a hard workout I'll feel it being a little tender.

I think outside workouts in the cold might be how all these Eastern European dudes get so strong?
I guess if you're squatting 495 for reps and DLing 600+ (although less than Mullet :stick: ) then it's not hurting your core strength too much.

Yeah the Eastern Europeans and Scandanavians seem to dominate at strongman. Maybe better genetics? Better steroids? Anyway, a Rocky IV winter workout could be cool too with "Hearts on Fire" pumping the background.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I guess if you're squatting 495 for reps and DLing 600+ (although less than Mullet :stick: ) then it's not hurting your core strength too much.

Yeah the Eastern Europeans and Scandanavians seem to dominate at strongman. Maybe better genetics? Better steroids? Anyway, a Rocky IV winter workout could be cool too with "Hearts on Fire" pumping the background.
haha, nice with the "Hearts on Fire". I really think their is something to training outside especially in the cold. It hardens you, turns you into an animal, OK now I'm drifting off into fantasyland.

One of my horrible short stories is available for your enjoyment in my workout log thread.

Mullet doesn't seem to bite on many of our jabs?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Tuesday:

BW - 221.7

squat to 14.75'' box (not in front of mirror today)
405-5 (just couldn't get my hips far enough back without looking at the mirror :frustrate)

Rack squats (bar resting 1 to 1.5'' below the bottom of my sternum):
495-1
545-1
585-1
615-1
635-1

speedy front squats:
185-3
185-3
185-3

BO rows:
225-10
275-5
295-4

hypers

I really need to work on feeling the right body position on the squats. It's easy with the mirror, but I'm terribly dependent upon it.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Wed.

BW - 222.0

Incline-
335-2

standing military with DBs:
80's - 5
90's - 4
100's - 3

dips -
BW - 32
BW - 20

shoulder assist

My elbow was killing me today after incline so I took it somewhat easy on everything else.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Wed.
dips -
BW - 32
BW - 20
Got enough dips there? Those are pretty impressive numbers after doing DB press.

Do you find that weighted dips are all the accessory tricep exercise that you need? I'm wondering because I'm trying to get by just on those.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I think the dips hit them pretty well and the standing military of course does too. Weighted dips would be better for strength than this high rep crap that I did, but my elbow's too beat up to push it. I think that you'll be fine. You could also add in floor presses or close grip bench, though, if you wanted more.

By the way, I've gotten 35 before so no it wasn't enough.

I'll be doing my 445 DL reps tomorrow a little after 8 if you have time to record them. Don't feel obligated.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Thurs.

BW: 223.8

DL - 445 reps in 60 s

18.5'' rack pulls-
495-1
545-1
565-0

widegrip pullups - 20
medium grip - 14

end of barbell holds
right hand - 35.7 s
left hand - 37.0 s

right hand - 18.7 s
left hand - 20 s

core

high intensity cardio 10 min - HR 180+

I was pretty happy with my DL reps today. I think that I'd like to get at least 12 at the contest but this is a big improvement. I'll put up video of this eventually. Thanks to Poly for help recording it.

I'll post a progress report of improvement on the events soon from mid August when I started training for this until now eventually. No strongman this weekend since I and many of the guys will be traveling for Thanksgiving. A week off is probably good thing at this stage....

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
nice pulling!!!

i find that high rep stuff to be so much easier doing sumo than conventional. that was impressive.

lots of back...but that's what happens when you get fatigued.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, Kabuki. Only conventional is allowed at the contest. I've been trying to get the most out of the bounce off the floor so it seems like a nearly stiff-legged approach is ideal. The last attempt wasn't so good (the one that failed). I should have gotten down and used my legs/hips more.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Nice pulling. What kind of kicks are you wearing? I wear chucky t's and catch plenty of sh*t for it.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
They're adidas street shoes that have a really thin sole and Goodyear tread on them. The Chuck's are cool, but I feel like they have too thick of a sole for DLing.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Are you watching Strikeforce. Salmon took another baaarutal KO via Jorge Santiago. Buentello/Overeem comin up!

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
No, I've been following the pbp. Is it on ppv or showtime?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Streaming Live on Yahoosports, get on that man. Bobby Southworth just got stopped due to cut, but the combo he received was nasty. What up with them kicks, otomix?