It's that time of the year... Let's get SCARY STRONG! + Free Suppzzzzz

KingLeonidas9

KingLeonidas9

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think that the best thing to do when it comes to squats and this is what this huge dude told me when I first started working out in 2004 was. Always warm up your legs. What he told me was eat carbs at least an hour and half before. Than when get to the gym do 10mins on the stationary bike on heavy level to get he legs fully warmed up and ready to squat.

I always did that since and I enjoy it. Because I don't have to do so many warm up sets before hand. I usually do 2 warm up sets and I'm set to start my working sets.And it has always worked for me. If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
Going off of this.
Dynamic stretching till help release the hip girdle and make flexibility easier.
I also am a huge advocate of rumble rolling 5-10 minutes on your IT Bands, hamstrings, Glutes, and Calves prior to doing legs. This will help release those muscles for a better workout

NOBODY wants to go into a squat with a tight low back, legs. which will take away from performance. we want to set ourself up for the best possible workout
I totally forgot about foam roller!
I got into it because of Kris Gethin when I did DTP few years ago and it helps a lot! Hurts a lot but helps a lot more in the end.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I totally forgot about foam roller!
I got into it because of Kris Gethin when I did DTP few years ago and it helps a lot! Hurts a lot but helps a lot more in the end.
A PVC pipe
Is good too if you want more pain !

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
properly done Band walks (around ankles) are great for this...they target the glutes.
Just above the knees for the mini bands. Internal and external rotation each leg, mini walks forward and backward, and mini shuffle sideways and back. Literally the most painful pump in my glutes.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I like to utilize bands on squats and leg press
John Meadows has some nice intensity techniques doing so
And they hurt
A LOT

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
This is a savior for leg day before you hit legs

[video=youtube;FSSDLDhbacc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSSDLDhbacc[/video]

TheIronAsylum

Awards
  • Established
Hey KAbuki i have a question for you il do my best to describe the issue, but it seems to be common recently with myself and all my powerlifting buddys. I have this knot in my trap/reardelt/scapula that like locks up that side and i cant use my lat or trap to stabalize anything it seems like. it also will tighten up my bicep and shoulder as well also resulting in somewhat crooked pressing movements. even my chest on the oposite side of the knot has been getting tight and in pain after benching which i feel is from more load on that side due to whatever knot in my scapula/trap/reardelt. my squat has suffered as well as i cant get upperback tight or even set the bar comfortably. Sorry if i didnt describe the issue very well i know its hard over the internet but thanks anyways

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
Hey KAbuki i have a question for you il do my best to describe the issue, but it seems to be common recently with myself and all my powerlifting buddys. I have this knot in my trap/reardelt/scapula that like locks up that side and i cant use my lat or trap to stabalize anything it seems like. it also will tighten up my bicep and shoulder as well also resulting in somewhat crooked pressing movements. even my chest on the oposite side of the knot has been getting tight and in pain after benching which i feel is from more load on that side due to whatever knot in my scapula/trap/reardelt. my squat has suffered as well as i cant get upperback tight or even set the bar comfortably. Sorry if i didnt describe the issue very well i know its hard over the internet but thanks anyways
This is very common. And one of the areas my movement system directly targets. But I can't sum up 12hrs of couching in a post and won't even come close to attempting.

Watch the videos I have on breathing and bracing and all my video's on positional work for stabilization and squats. This will help address the root of the issues leading to this problem.

Short term you can.

Also work the drills linked on the unlisted video on my product page for the shoulderok. The link is about halfway down the page and highlighted in red "this link" http://store.kabukistrength.net/collections/strength-training-equipment/products/shoulderok

If that doesn't get you moving the right direction as fast as you would like the ShouldeRok is an invaluable tool.

The seminars I do are absolutely fantastic. I have lots of physical therapist and chiropractors that attend them as well to learn my approach. In the last one I had a Doctor who has been using his resources in the field to attempt to rehab from a full shoulder dislocation for the last 2 years with no success. Between the shoulderok and the seminar 2 weeks ago he is now pain free and also benching pain free for the first time in 2 years.

Chris

classic34

classic34

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The final day...

Winners will be chosen tonight!

TheIronAsylum

Awards
  • Established
This is very common. And one of the areas my movement system directly targets. But I can't sum up 12hrs of couching in a post and won't even come close to attempting.

Watch the videos I have on breathing and bracing and all my video's on positional work for stabilization and squats. This will help address the root of the issues leading to this problem.

Short term you can.

Also work the drills linked on the unlisted video on my product page for the shoulderok. The link is about halfway down the page and highlighted in red "this link" http://store.kabukistrength.net/collections/strength-training-equipment/products/shoulderok

If that doesn't get you moving the right direction as fast as you would like the ShouldeRok is an invaluable tool.

The seminars I do are absolutely fantastic. I have lots of physical therapist and chiropractors that attend them as well to learn my approach. In the last one I had a Doctor who has been using his resources in the field to attempt to rehab from a full shoulder dislocation for the last 2 years with no success. Between the shoulderok and the seminar 2 weeks ago he is now pain free and also benching pain free for the first time in 2 years.

Chris

Thanks for your advice Chris big fan of all your teachings and i would love to go to one of your seminars if you ever came down to AZ or southern California
were you talking about the instructional video link or the prep one? also i have a few maces and iv always wondered when youre doing the swing are you trying to focus on keeping the ribcage and abs flexed and down during the whole movement? or do you like inhale and have a big chest while the mace is behind and then flex down and exhale while pulling it back in front?

edit also i should add to my initial post when rolling my shoulders back and trying to push that side back and down i get a grinding sensation/noise back in the scap and trap area

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Adding Calories:
Sometimes eating more everyday on general calories will not be enough to grow.
You may need to throw in a cheat meal or a refeed (lowering protein and fat and increaseing carbs) to help shuttle down more food and help the body get into a higher caloric surplus. I know some people who intake upward to 3.5-4-5,000 calories almost on the daily norm and have to throw in a full pizza or a dozen donuts to help keep the scale moving and keep the gains coming.
Do not fear "going out of your comfort zone" to grow

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Round 1 stack winners will be selected today!

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I may be in the minority but I'm pretty much on that year long recomp plan and no hibernation... Though gets 'squirrely' for me as Halloween gets here with the influx of candy in house, then have 2 kids bdays within a week of each other mid Nov, then thanksgiving, then Christmas, then by the time New Years rolls around it becomes 'no treat 16'...until Superbowl :eek: No advice in there, lol ..except moderation. Brb, thinking about eating a Twinkie and some bottle caps...

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I may be in the minority but I'm pretty much on that year long recomp plan and no hibernation... Though gets 'squirrely' for me as Halloween gets here with the influx of candy in house, then have 2 kids bdays within a week of each other mid Nov, then thanksgiving, then Christmas, then by the time New Years rolls around it becomes 'no treat 16'...until Superbowl :eek: No advice in there, lol ..except moderation. Brb, thinking about eating a Twinkie and some bottle caps...
Just hang a twinkie from a string from the top of the squat rack cage. That way as you complete each rep, you're rewarded with a delicious bite and incentive to squat deep once more.

/ thread

lol

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just hang a twinkie from a string from the top of the squat rack cage. That way as you complete each rep, you're rewarded with a delicious bite and incentive to squat deep once more.

/ thread

lol
That is so boss! I'll have to get the technique down with some body weight squats though...peeps should be OK with me doing that in the squat rack, right?

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I love adding Peanut Butter for extra calories. Of course, I can eat a whole jar in a short time ;) A couple of PB sandwiches work wonders for a caloric boost :)

As for Squat tips: Make sure to maintain calf flexibility as well. I'm paying the price for not listening to my body right now. Also, don't let people force you into choosing either high or low bar squats, do what feels more natural to you.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I find I am much stronger with low bar squats. If I am wanting to grow/target quads, high bar squats. With that said, I am a high bar squatter :)

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
It's a good idea to eat mostly nutrient dense food when adding calories.
While it is smart to focus on getting most of your intake from micronutrient dense foods sometimes there will be a law of diminishing returns and you will need to add other sources to reach a proper intake

Adding more fiber , oatmeal, or heavier sitting sources as you try to add more calories may take away from your appetite and a I lift to push down more calories where adding things like cereal , pancakes , waffles , pop tarts , extra liquid carbs around training could be a good boost to help you add size and quality LBM while keeping bloat down

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
People need to find and eat foods that they absorb and digest in turn allowing them to use the nutrients to grow. This seems to be very misunderstood in regards to growing and caloric intake.

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When I make the time, will sometimes a toss in a few sets of ole fashioned bb hack squats after regular squats...get some extra quad burn going...

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Unilateral leg work after squats to 'balance' things out, like lunges, single leg presses, bulgarian split squats. And foam roll the knots and tight spots out before leaving the gym.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Planks and Bird Dogs!

Helps me keep the boat motor running and getting stronger

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Many people lack proper core/abdominal strength to perform compound exercises (Squats) to their strongest effort. Sometimes their core limits them from heavier loads and keeping an upright posture when squatting. These are people that may suffer from low back problems because their core cannot support the load on their back.
Focus on targeting your core, doing front squats (which kills your core) and accessory work on your core besdies heavy compounds to improve your big 3 and squat.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Many people lack proper core/abdominal strength to perform compound exercises (Squats) to their strongest effort. Sometimes their core limits them from heavier loads and keeping an upright posture when squatting. These are people that may suffer from low back problems because their core cannot support the load on their back.
Focus on targeting your core, doing front squats (which kills your core) and accessory work on your core besdies heavy compounds to improve your big 3 and squat.
I found this to be more then true pushing my Lunges to the limit. Very humbling and makes you remember to train your core just as if not more intensely than your other lifts.

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Def core strength, forgot about that, has also really helped me as well as strengthening the midback and rhomboids to enable the flexibility to be able to have my elbows behind back to grip the bar, without any pain... Years of having a desk job had taken its toll by the time I realized what had happened...

classic34

classic34

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The time has come ... to announce round one winners! The three winners are:

kbayne
KingLeonidas9
choccyswag

Congratulations winners! You've each won two ModernPROTEIN (Vanilla), one ModernCREATINE, and one USPlabs Barbell Club T-shirt! Please PM me with your name, shipping address, and email address!

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

kbayne
KingLeonidas9
choccyswag

Congratulations winners! You've each won two ModernPROTEIN (Vanilla), one ModernCREATINE, and one USPlabs Barbell Club T-shirt! Please PM me with your name, shipping address, and email address!
Not a bad way to start an early morning to the work day :).

Huge thanks to USPlabs and the USPlabs team!!

Congrats to the other winners as well.

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In4 Kbayne's post squat workout modern baking party!! I'll bring the sprinkles :)

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Congrats, guys! 2 tubs of vanilla is a wonderful prize ;)

KingLeonidas9

KingLeonidas9

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

kbayne
KingLeonidas9
choccyswag

Sweeeeeeeeeeet!!!! Thank you!!

For those that tried the modernPROTEIN how does it compare to the old OXYELITEProtein?

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
2015-10-09 16_28_49-124439-its-time-year-800x600_scarystrong_banner.jpg (800×600).png

Week 1 went awesome... We'll call it Confessions of the Squataholics. Thanks to Mr. Kabuki Strong himself, Chris Duffin for the help!

Now we're on to week 2!

To enter: All you have to do it post up SOMEthing that will help us get scary strong. Post daily, hourly, minutely(?)!

This weeks topic is Bench Press / Chest and Carb Intake!

This week, I've enlisted the help of one of the best bench pressers of all time, and Team USPlabs wildman... Joey Smith.

2015-10-09 16_04_48-Joey Smith.png

Owner Nebobarbell Gym - NC. Pro Elite Lifter, Sponosors - USPlabs, Elitefts.com, Metal Gear, Oxygen Factor - 10 years straight the top 5, 10, 15, 20 on powerlifting watch.com - 7 time national bench press champion, 2 time world bench press champion, elite total raw full power, elite total multiply full power, Compitition best lifts - 805 multiply benchpress, 530 raw benchpress, 750 raw squat, 615 raw deadlift

He will be stopping in for the next week to assist wherever possible.

As if that's not enough.... EVERY post enters you into a random lottery to win free supps. This weeks supp stack:

1 bottle of ModernPROTEIN (BEST Vanilla EVER) // ModernCREATINE // Barbell Club T-Shirt

ENTER NOW - Post your bench press and carb intake tips!​

----------
You may enter as many times as you’d like; DAILY entries = MORE chances to win!

THREE (3) winners will be randomly selected on 10/15/15 for round 2. They will each receive a full USPlabs Hookup (one bottle of USPlabs ModernPROTEIN (Vanilla), one bottle of ModernCREATINE, one Barbell Club t-shirt)!

(Winners will be announced in this thread. Winners must submit information within 5 days of selection. 18+ ONLY please. US Shipping Address’ Only. We are not responsible for packages that do not make it to their final destination. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited.)

REF#AM15-SCARYSTRONG2

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Gotta eat Carbs to get big once you meet protein protein and fat minimums

Dont forget your AP Too

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Volume, lots of volume will help your bench. Of course, don't neglect your upper back, either. Lots of rear delt and lat work is a must!

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
"Rowing" the bar down and trying to twist the bar apart on the way up, can help quite a bit.

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Don't forget to properly use leg drive, not doing a glute bridge, but driving back towards the bar.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Comsume complex carbs throughout the day and simpler carbs around your workouts.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Comsume complex carbs throughout the day and simpler carbs around your workouts.
Simple Carbs may not even be needed around your workouts in the first place... Especially all the research on insulin spiking shows how little merit it has for fed individuals or those with food overlapping. Some people also cannot handle simple carbs it will make their energy drop and crash.

Post a few studies:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15277409
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17617942

For most of us who train with an intra-workout BCAA or pre-workout meal there is stil food overlap as i touched in the other thread, do we need to spike insulin? absolutely not, food is still digesting, aminos are still present, so do we really need simple carbs post-workout not really..

Could they be optimal .. sure why not? but remember the total calories/macros if meeting your protein/fat/fiber minimums on a daily basis are optimal for your goal.

more:

he postexercise "anabolic window" is a highly misused & abused concept. Preworkout nutrition all but cancels the urgency, unless you're an endurance athlete with multiple glycogen-depleting events in a single day. Getting down to brass tacks, a relatively recent study (Power et al. 2009) showed that a 45g dose of whey protein isolate takes appx 50 minutes to cause blood AA levels to peak. Resulting insulin levels, which peaked at 40 minutes after ingestion, remained at elevations known to max out the inhibition of muscle protein breakdown (15-30 mU/L) for 120 minutes after ingestion. This dose takes 3 hours for insulin & AA levels to return to baseline from the point of ingestion. The inclusion of carbs to this dose would cause AA & insulin levels to peak higher & stay elevated above baseline even longer.

So much for the anabolic peephole & the urgency to down AAs during your weight training workout; they are already seeping into circulation (& will continue to do so after your training bout is done). Even in the event that a preworkout meal is skipped, the anabolic effect of the postworkout meal is increased as a supercompensatory response (Deldicque et al, 2010). Moving on, another recent study (Staples et al, 2010) found that a substantial dose of carbohydrate (50g maltodextrin) added to 25g whey protein was unable to further increase postexercise net muscle protein balance compared to the protein dose without carbs. Again, this is not to say that adding carbs at this point is counterproductive, but it certainly doesn't support the idea that you must get your lightning-fast postexercise carb orgy for optimal results.

To add to this... Why has the majority of longer-term research failed to show any meaningful differences in nutrient timing relative to the resistance training bout? It's likely because the body is smarter than we give it credit for. Most people don't know that as a result of a single training bout, the receptivity of muscle to protein dosing can persist for at least 24

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21289204

Here's what you're not seeming to grasp: the "windows" for taking advantage of nutrient timing are not little peepholes. They're more like bay windows of a mansion. You're ignoring just how long the anabolic effects are of a typical mixed meal. Depending on the size of a meal, it takes a good 1-2 hours for circulating substrate levels to peak, and it takes a good 3-6 hours (or more) for everythng to drop back down to baseline.

You're also ignoring the fact that the anabolic effects of a meal are maxed out at much lower levels than typical meals drive insulin & amino acids up to. Furthermore, you're also ignoring the body's ability of anabolic (& fat-oxidative) supercompensation when forced to work in the absence of fuels. So, metaphorically speaking, our physiology basically has the universe mapped out and you're thinking it needs to be taught addition & subtraction.

More:

"You do not need to neccessarily "spike" insulin for creatine to be maximally absorbed, but yes insulin is involved with the trasnsport.

FYI: The insulin and creatine studies I have seen up to this point have involved taking the glucose 30 minutes after the creatine. This may be because the insulin release from the dextrose doesn't entirely coincident with the pharmacokinetics of the creatine absorption.

Personally I think more consistent waves of insulin may be more anabolic than "spikes" anyway. This is because smoother waves of insulin more than likely affect ATP production more beneficially than "spikes" probably do. ATP is what rebuilds muscles and you want the most efficiency you can get here. I'm saying this because there is a delicate balance here between oxidative phosphorylation and lipogenesis (stimulated by acetyl COA carboxylase from HCO3-) in the mitochondrial in the presence of insulin. This "balance" I am talking about here is different for everyone though. Some people "shunt" over to lipgenesis so much sooner than other people. This has to do with other "global" processes happening in the body."

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

The postexercise "anabolic window" is a highly misused & abused concept. Preworkout nutrition all but cancels the urgency, unless you're an endurance athlete with multiple glycogen-depleting events in a single day. Getting down to brass tacks, a relatively recent study (Power et al. 2009) showed that a 45g dose of whey protein isolate takes appx 50 minutes to cause blood AA levels to peak. Resulting insulin levels, which peaked at 40 minutes after ingestion, remained at elevations known to max out the inhibition of muscle protein breakdown (15-30 mU/L) for 120 minutes after ingestion. This dose takes 3 hours for insulin & AA levels to return to baseline from the point of ingestion. The inclusion of carbs to this dose would cause AA & insulinlevels to peak higher & stay elevated above baseline even longer.

So much for the anabolic peephole & the urgency to down AAs during your weight training workout; they are already seeping into circulation (& will continue to do so after your training bout is done). Even in the event that a preworkout meal is skipped, the anabolic effect of the postworkout meal is increased as a supercompensatory response (Deldicque et al, 2010). Moving on, another recent study (Staples et al, 2010) found that a substantial dose of carbohydrate (50g maltodextrin) added to 25g whey protein was unable to further increase postexercise net muscle protein balance compared to the protein dose without carbs. Again, this is not to say that adding carbs at this point is counterproductive, but it certainly doesn't support the idea that you must get your lightning-fast postexercise carb orgy for optimal results.

To add to this... Why has the majority of longer-term research failed to show any meaningful differences in nutrient timing relative to the resistance training bout? It's likely because the body is smarter than we give it credit for. Most people don't know that as a result of a single training bout, the receptivity of muscle to protein dosing can persist for at least 24 hours: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21289204

classic34

classic34

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Keep the entries coming... Winners will be selected on Thursday. :)

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
Do not neglect incline barbell or dumbbell press

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Pancakes = PR's
Do not neglect a proper caloric surplus and once protein and fat minimums are met load up the carbs

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
When unracking the bar for a bench press you should already be set, shoulders should be retracted, back should be arched, and descend the bar right to around your nipple. Going too low will take pressure off your chest, going too high may put more pressure on your shoulders. Make sure to keep your wrists straight or else you will cause long term damage on your wrists from cocking them back. A huge mistake many people weight as the weight gets heavier. Cocking your wrists will apply more pressure to your wrists over time and cause them to get achy over time.