Is Planet Fitness really all that bad from a gym layout?

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Well we all had our debate for the day. I like being a member at bodybuilding gyms and PF. I find both useful.
We can easily agree to disagree I forgive Ya ?

Side note why is pizza BB food? I mean isn't there a fine line between a healthy option pizza VS dominos lol I think pizza is great but moderation is more than key with any good choice.

Wonder if they still do donuts Lls

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Yes agree to disagree is fine with me.

Pizza in moderation I was referring to. Nothing wrong once in a while throwing down a couple slices after a hardcore workout where you feel exhausted. Never have had Pizza at PF and don't plan on it in the near future.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You called pizza bodybuilding food...

"Bro, you're looking shredded. What's your secret?"

"Pizza." Said no one ever.

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
Are we talking about bodybuilding or powerlifting here? Because it is proven that you do not need a squat rack for bodybuilding. Squatting is a powerlifting move. There are plenty of bodybuilders who do not squat. It is proven fact! There are plenty of people who have built massive legs without squatting. Also like I said before if you need more than 75 pound dumbbells for bodybuilding something is wrong with your form. Unless you are a pro of course. Most people who are bodybuilding are not pro's so stop with the " 75 pounds is too light" bull****. Save it for someone who is naïve enough to think that you need more than that. You should know by now that bodybuilding is about building muscle, not how much you can ****in lift. If you lift too heavy and your form sucks, you might as well just take up fishing. When I see guys like Juan Morel using less than 75 pounds on shoulder exercises with dumbbells, I know for a fact that you can get a solid workout at PF if needed. I am highly amazed at how egotistical so many bodybuilders are. You got guys like Juan Morel using Smith Machines and so many people say "Oh PF is such a bad gym! They only have smith Machines!" WTF? P.S. Anyone with any common knowledge would know that foods like Pizza are beneficial to a bodybuilder, especially post workout when they are bulking. So why are so many bodybuilders against Planet Fitness Monday night pizza? That also blows my ****in mind.
Sooo much wrong here. Your just weak if you think there is no need for db's over 75 lbs. and I really hope your joking about pizza being benificial

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
If a person is bulking it for sure is fine to eat it. There are plenty of guys who eat Pizza and benefit from it when their goal is to put on as much mass as possible. Nothing wrong with Pizza here and there when you need to bulk. I need to correct myself about the post workout thing though. It has too much fat so you don't want to eat it after a workout. But other times of the day once in a while is fine. Remember the key words are once in a while.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards

You must be always cutting then aren't you? Ever hear of bulking? Pizza is perfectly fine on a bulk.

juniorab

juniorab

Awards
You must be always cutting then aren't you? Ever hear of bulking? Pizza is perfectly fine on a bulk.
Let me ask you a couple questions if you are ok with answering them:

1) what are your stats? age, height, weight, BF%
2a) Have you ever competed?
2b) if so, how well did you do?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, pizza is fine in a bulk if you want to look like me, but at 235 and high teens bodyfat, I haven't been mistaken for a bodybuilder in a long time. Now I gotta mess around with brown rice and tilapia, or what the rest of us call bodybuilding foods, just to reach my competitive goals.

I'll agree with you with one caveat: Pizza is fine on a bulk IF you're small enough that 75lb dumbbells are as big as you need, because mass at all costs is probably good for the little people.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
6'5, 220. Bodyfat right now is 14 %

Im currently doing my best to put on mass so Im bulking. Why are you so against Pizza? You can make it healthy if you cook it at home as well and its filled with carbs, fats, and protein if it has the right ingredients. Perfect for building mass.

Macros are important as you know. Your body doesn't discriminate against Pizza as long as its doing the job that you need it to. 95 % of my diet consists of chicken, Steak, sweet potatoes/brown rice, and ****in asparagus. Along with fish , Milk, and olive oil.

juniorab

juniorab

Awards
6'5, 220. Bodyfat right now is 14 %

Im currently doing my best to put on mass so Im bulking. Why are you so against Pizza? You can make it healthy if you cook it at home as well and its filled with carbs, fats, and protein if it has the right ingredients. Perfect for building mass.
This is all making sense now. I bet you're an IIFYM kind of guy, right?

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Yes that is what I believe. I have a set number of fats, carbs and protein I do my best to reach every single day. I do my best to keep my fats as healthy as possible but I do throw in stuff like Pizza a couple times a month because I am what they call an Ectomorph. Im not going to get anywhere If Im afraid of eating big. If I gain some fat because of it so be it. I'll know when its time to cut. As of right now Im happy with the progress I am making.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I love pizza. It's not a bodybuilding food, though. That's like saying "I make my casein into pudding. Pudding is a bodybuilding food." Same as PF is not a gym. If you like working out there, I recommend you cover up. I hear they toss folks for looking too fit.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
I love pizza. It's not a bodybuilding food, though. That's like saying "I make my casein into pudding. Pudding is a bodybuilding food." Same as PF is not a gym. If you like working out there, I recommend you cover up. I hear they toss folks for looking too fit.
Listen here is the thing, its not my main gym. I have moved on to better gyms geared towards bodybuilding and lifting in general. But I kept my membership at PF because sometimes it is nice to go there. It is open 24/7 and when I go at 3 am no one is there anyway. I can workout in peace and quiet and not have to deal with running into people I don't want to see. Im in my own world. Plus when Im on the road I can use it as well. Even if its to get some cardio in which as you know is still important. There have been a few times where I have been on the road and the only gym open when I got into town was PF. I could have used the fitness center at the hotel but they didn't have dumbbells. So thank god I had my membership still.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
PF caters to a demographic that isn't as serious about fitness.

I am ok with that. Keeps them out of my gym and from maxing out with 75# DBs on all the benches...

blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards
I mean this in the absolute nicest way possible...... but are you really that much of an idiot?
Haha...so since I warm up with 75 lbs on db press and seated db shoulder press, my form must suck? You must be a nube

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Would that mean a nube to this forum, a nube to lifting, or a nube to something else?

blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards
Dude, the guys with the biggest thighs squat and squat heavy. You think Platz, Coleman, etc. built their thighs without squats? 75# is not heavy at all and there are tons of dudes using 100+ DB for all presses. The Smith machine is a garbage piece of equipment that isn't worth the steel it costs to make.
Exactly...I honestly have not watched a bb video with past or current BB'S or read an interview on leg development who did not squat..i say go to PF and eat the pizza they give away on wed to the over weight people who go there to feel comfortable because they feel insecure at real gyms...maybe do some cardio with the guy who waste money their to do cardio and hopefully at least look at the hot women in yoga pants

blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards

Exactly...I wish pizza was bodybuilding food .I would eat it every damn day..only thing I agree with this troll is eating pizza in moderation haha

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Hmmm....why wouldnt pizza help build muscle?

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Pizzadrol has an A/A ratio of atleast 10,000:10,000
So not sure how pizza is not producing gains?

blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards
Hmmm....why wouldnt pizza help build muscle?
Never said it wouldnt...eat it everyday, guarantee you, you will look fluffy or fat..OK yea mabe if your bulking and eating whatever to add excess cals..my opinion..yours differs..

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Never said it wouldnt...eat it everyday, guarantee you, you will look fluffy or fat..OK yea mabe if your bulking and eating whatever to add excess cals..my opinion..yours differs..
Have you eaten pizza everyday? Ive been debating on a trial iifym diet for a few weeks using pizza and other random fast foods.... im very open minded however its impossible for you to guarantee anyone will look fat.... a calorie reduced diet will triumph the actual foods being consumed...

PF sucks btw

blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards
Have you eaten pizza everyday? Ive been debating on a trial iifym diet for a few weeks using pizza and other random fast foods.... im very open minded however its impossible for you to guarantee anyone will look fat.... a calorie reduced diet will triumph the actual foods being consumed...

PF sucks btw
I really don't feel like debating over pizza just stating my opinion man..OK you have a point

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Pizza is serious business, you can't just take it back now!! Haha, wait so this thread is about PF right? A quirky looking place for sure.

throneof

throneof

Awards
  • Established
So now Bodybuilders are mad now that PF serves bodybuilding food. Listen I understand the concern for other people, but lets be realistic. Bodybuilding is an individual sport. Worry about your own gains. If you don't like them eating pizza on Mondays then show up there and eat it instead. There are plenty of people who are not fat lifting at PF who could benefit from eating Pizza btw.
Bodybuilders don't care that they serve pizza. They don't care about that fitness center either. They were merely pointing out that it's asinine to serve pizza at a gym, which it is. Sure, some could benefit from a 'healthy' pizza. I don't think anybody can benefit from a dominos pizza or whatever they serve there

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't know how this thread became a hate of pizza. What did that delicious cheesy saucy goodness ever do to us?

blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards
I don't know how this thread became a hate of pizza. What did that delicious cheesy saucy goodness ever do to us?
Oh I love pizza..I didn't say I didn't eat it haha...yes that was my point...it doesn't male sense why they serve pizza...and soda...I've got kicked out because I was dead lifting and making "grunts" the alarm went off...that's when I said f this place. ..but it's a judge free zone...

iddc

iddc

Awards
Any place that doesn't have squat racks is a joke of a training facility.
Well this just sums it all up!

All this pizza talk is making me hungry

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
hot women in yoga pants NOW THAT'S AS GOOD REASON TO GO !!!

yoga.jpg

warrior737

Awards
Im sorry but PF is sort of a joke. Free hair cuts, pizza, tootsie rolls. trainers that are obese or look terrible.. No free weights and dumbells that go up to 60#. Sounds like a ton of fun. I have seen people kicked out for that alarm. hahaha. I would have fun going with my GF and eating pizza while watching the cattle on the sea of treadmills.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
I've deadlifted plenty of times at the Planet Fitness locations I have gone to, and not once has anyone ever came up to me and said "Oh you can't do that here."

It all comes down to some people exaggerating their noise when they grunt or lift weights, on purpose. There are people that grunt while lifting and then there are people that go overboard with their emotions in the gym. Seen it plenty of times and honestly Im glad PF kicks their ass out of the gym. Nothing more annoying than seeing people trying to set the lunk alarm off on purpose. Very immature. You can thank those people for the way PF chooses to run their operation. This is the same reason that places of business put an age limit on who can come there and who can't. If I ran a gym you wouldn't be able to be a member unless you were 25 or older.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Considering a light day on deadlifts for me is 405, I doubt the alarm wouldn't go off.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Didn't read any of this thread. Strictly based off the title, please do not give your business to Planet Fitness. It is a bad gym and goes against progression. They commend bull ****, half-assed workouts, while condemning intensity. If you aren't pushing yourself to beat your last records and training with intensity THAT is why you aren't seeing results.

This gym sets people up for failure by providing an environment of "hey, come on in, you don't even need to try here. In fact, if you do try, we'll kick you out. Please, be lazy and we promise you won't see results."

Do you know what that mentality does? It facilitates people to believe that they CAN'T get results, which leads to people giving up on THEIR HEALTH. The member then quits and returns to their previous lifestyle.

Training progressively to get BETTER and see the subsequent results, isn't supposed to be comfortable!

Please, do not help this gym destroy fitness

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Couldn't have said it better myself. Just read the reviews and what the members are expressing pleasure in- the cute desk guy, the snacks, always having a machine available, and no feeling of pressure.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Well if the desk guy is cute, I have to go! :D

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I hammer out pushups, burpees, and have a little extendable pull up bar I throw in my check in. Then I go for a run. Probably better than anything at PF.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Wow. Strong opinion. I'm sure that works for your trips, but often I'm out for a week or two at a time. So no, for me, PF is better than your little workout or any Holiday Inn Express gym.
Smart man. That's the way I look at it as well. So many locations of PF out there that I know odds are I will have one within a comfortable driving distance from the hotel I stay in on the road. That's why I kept my membership to be honest with you. Very pushup friendly also. ;)

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There are gyms everywhere, look up 24 hour fitness. Ultimately for me it comes down to who I do and do not support as a consumer. In my opinion, giving any money to companies such as this is perpetuating the problem. If I were to pay monthly dues, then I would then be a part of the problem. My aim is to be a part of the solution, not the problem.

Every time I travel for the military or go do fire classes somewhere I can always find a gym that will let me pay per day or buy a week pass. ****, even the Y is better than planet fitness

Ascic1

Awards

Actually. I think Dave Palumbo used Pizza and Ice cream as a cheat meal to keep his metabolism ramped up.

blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards
Everyone is different but when I'm on a cycle I eat pizza often and I don't notice a difference in body comp...but when I'm off its a different story

Highreps

Highreps

Awards
Planet fitness is a nice gym if your looking for a quick workout they have everything you need unless your a wanna be superman.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Went to Planet Fitness Yesterday (2 Minutes From Work) Tanned and 40 minutes of cardio.

I Must say I saw a young girl there my guess 14 or 15 years old training alone, She was doing deadlifts, later I saw her doing walking lunges up and down the aisles, I thought it was nice to see a young lady doing some "Hard Core Exercises". There is hope for the future!!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Went to Planet Fitness Yesterday (2 Minutes From Work) Tanned and 40 minutes of cardio.

I Must say I saw a young girl there my guess 14 or 15 years old training alone, She was doing deadlifts, later I saw her doing walking lunges up and down the aisles, I thought it was nice to see a young lady doing some "Hard Core Exercises". There is hope for the future!!
She better slow her roll before she gets kicked out.