Is Creatine timing bro science?

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
Your opinions please........

Do you feel creatine timing is bro science and as long as you supplement with it everyday thats all that matters to receiving the benefits?

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, 5g a day and you are Gucci.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Your opinions please........

Do you feel creatine timing is bro science and as long as you supplement with it everyday thats all that matters to receiving the benefits?
I think it's mostly "bro science" in that the practical significance of it is vastly overstated, but there are arguments and research suggesting that some times may be more "ideal" than others, although it is possible that this may just mean a slightly faster time to reach saturation, and then no real difference once saturation is reached. Just getting enough creatine regularly to reach and maintain saturation is far and away the most important factor for creatine supplementation, and really the only one worth considering IMO.

TL;DR: Don't major in the minors, just take your creatine whenever you remember to and will actually take it regularly.

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
I think the "timing" was created by the industry along the same lines as the "loading phase"

Both have been found to be false and 3 to 5 g once a day is all one really truly needs

bb333

Awards
  • Established
5 gr a day after breakfast (or in any case the first meal of carbohydrate). every day forever! Amen

EricMM

Awards
  • Established
I think there is some minor benefit to creatine prior to a workout as long as you dont over do it. May help uptake and CP levels

rowz4broz

rowz4broz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
im telling you 1.5 grams upon waking up fasted and 2.5 grams 25 mins and 33 seconds pwo and 1 gram 39 seconds after your last set of biceps curls will show the best results with creatine.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think there is some minor benefit to creatine prior to a workout as long as you dont over do it. May help uptake and CP levels
If anything, post-workout has minor benefits over pre-workout:
While there were trends, no significant interactions were found. However, using magnitude-based inference, supplementation with creatine post workout is possibly more beneficial in comparison to pre workout supplementation with regards to FFM, FM and 1-RM BP.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23919405/
It is possible that this minor difference would have been negated over a longer period of time, as perhaps the post-workout use just helped to reach saturation faster. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it though, but if you're adamant about optimizing every detail, post-workout may be the way to go.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I honestly think the timing is total bro science. I've never seen any benefit over different creatine timing, consistency is key

Angrypolak

Angrypolak

Awards
I'm what one would call a creatine non-responder. I have tried multiple dosages and types and have seen no benefit. However, creatine supplementation has health benefits outside of just lifting, and it's cheap, so I supplement with it.

I did read that non-responders MIGHT see a benefit it taken post workout (probably based on the study above), so that's what I do.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I'm what one would call a creatine non-responder. I have tried multiple dosages and types and have seen no benefit. However, creatine supplementation has health benefits outside of just lifting, and it's cheap, so I supplement with it.

I did read that non-responders MIGHT see a benefit it taken post workout (probably based on the study above), so that's what I do.
Yeah, even if you notice nothing from it in regards to lifting, there's lots of other studied benefits that make it worth while.

Gridles

Awards
  • Established
Anyone know if you need to bump it up on anavar. I've seen guys talking about running 20mg a day while on Var. Just don't know if that was broscience as well. Any input/experience would be helpful.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
I'm going with "bro science" as well. There are so many threads of discussion on creatine and most say 3-5 grams, any time, all the time. Well, something like that.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
im telling you 1.5 grams upon waking up fasted and 2.5 grams 25 mins and 33 seconds pwo and 1 gram 39 seconds after your last set of biceps curls will show the best results with creatine.
Repped for sarcasm :D

Gridles

Awards
  • Established
I'm going with "bro science" as well. There are so many threads of discussion on creatine and most say 3-5 grams, any time, all the time. Well, something like that.
Yeah I figured the synergistic interaction between creatine and var was probably over stated or bro science. I was just thinking if someone was running 20g of creatine because they thought it would be beneficial than I could see how timing of the dosage could come into play. The amount of water you'd have to drink on 20g of creatine would probably be insane!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Like others have said timing doesn't matter. Just get in 5g daily and consistently and you'll be good to go.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If anything, post-workout has minor benefits over pre-workout:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23919405/
It is possible that this minor difference would have been negated over a longer period of time, as perhaps the post-workout use just helped to reach saturation faster. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it though, but if you're adamant about optimizing every detail, post-workout may be the way to go.
Have been taking it Post-workout from day-1. Now it's bro science? WTH!!

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
5gr a day whenever you want....not sure how taking it daily or within a 24 hour window can be bro science

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
i'd say 99% bro science. The only time I think it makes a difference is in a SEVERE deficit. In this case, spreading multiple, higher doses through the day seemed to make a legit difference in how I felt (reduced fatigue). Otherwise, 3-5g anytime is pretty much the standard for me.