importance of rest b/t sets

SatireWolf

SatireWolf

Awards
  • Established
i understand that there should be a certain amount of rest time between sets, but is there a certain amount thats best for bulking? also, whats the importance of 2 min vs 5 min, for example?

Eclipse Gym :: View topic - Bill Starr 5x5 Primer - How to create your own 5x5 program

that site says to rest 5 min between some sets, but doesn't list any times for other sets (you have to read thru the whole thing to get it). let me no what u guys think.
The best advice for resting is 'do what works'. Everyone's body responds differently to the way you work in the gym. I know for me, the only way I was ever able to get BIGGER legs was to use 30 second to a minute rest periods between squats and declines to the point I was almost blacking out.

Otherwise, the work load was never enough to stimulate growth in my legs. Even at 90 percent load and 3-5 reps it never worked for me to rest very long.

I know my arms are the same way. If I rest more than 2-3 minutes I get nowhere with my arms. 3 months of training shows for striated muscle the same size if I rest too long.

But you have to do what works for YOU! Some people can rest 3-5 minutes and get adequate stimulus to make their muscles grow. Others, can't... You've got to figure out what works best. So try one way, if that doesn't work over a 3-4 week period, try something else. When you find your secret formula, stick with it.

There is no magic pixie dust formula to lifting weights, because everyone's physiology responds differently. Just like a billion simple sugars and protein gets some people huge, and makes others fat asses even if they're working out the same, and have the same calorie requirements.

I've always been able to gain strength regardless of time between sets, but size, no.

GI2EG

GI2EG

Awards
Yeah, it seems to vary between persons. Try it out. One strategy is to reduce rest periods as you progress. Your body will become better at gettin' goin' quicker, so to speak.

For strength with only some size (my goals), I use anywhere from 25-60 seconds, almost never more, unless i'm attempting a PR.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
I can't nearly lift to my potential if I only rest for 30sec between sets. Try supersets.

SatireWolf

SatireWolf

Awards
  • Established
That's why you have to do what works for you :) Biological diversity precludes the 'magic' workout.

lazerss9

Awards
thats what i figured, but i didnt no if there is a general range that is better for bulking.