I'm a Carnivore

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Hope he's ok. His approach was pretty extreme, possibly unhealthy.

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Hope he's ok. His approach was pretty extreme, possibly unhealthy.
Carnivore diet is extremely healthy. If you take the time to read around, so many people are healing with it . That’s the opposite of unhealthy

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Carnivore diet is extremely healthy. If you take the time to read around, so many people are healing with it . That’s the opposite of unhealthy
Fruits and vegetables have been the problem all along...who knew?! Those damn micronutrients and antioxidants have been killing people for centuries.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Fruits and vegetables have been the problem all along...who knew?! Those damn micronutrients and antioxidants have been killing people for centuries.
Just playing devil's advocate here - but you mean micronutrients like B vitamins, iron, etc?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Just playing devil's advocate here - but you mean micronutrients like B vitamins, iron, etc?
That's precisely what I mean - Vitamins and minerals. Ive been pondering it for a few minutes now and I'm actually unsure of what else I you'd be thinking I could mean haha. And before you get all devil's advocate on me, im aware many of these do have toxic levels a (fat soluble vitamins, iron, copper, etc) and pathological effects after a certain threshold. But, that isn't the case in nearly anyone without them having some congenital condition affecting their metabolization and excretion abilities (Wilson's disease, hemochromatosis, etc) or eating some extremely restrictive diet for one reason or another (eg. Alaskin indians eating whale/polar bear liver nearly exclusively and getting Vitamin A toxicity).

(I also hope you picked up in the sarcasm in my initial post you responded to).

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
The nutrients in animal fats, are much more soluble and absorbable than nutrients in veggies and fruit.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
The nutrients in animal fats, are much more soluble and absorbable than nutrients in veggies and fruit.
Some are, some are not, with some individual variability I believe.

Also, there are a few nutrients not found in meat.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That's precisely what I mean - Vitamins and minerals. Ive been pondering it for a few minutes now and I'm actually unsure of what else I you'd be thinking I could mean haha. And before you get all devil's advocate on me, im aware many of these do have toxic levels a (fat soluble vitamins, iron, copper, etc) and pathological effects after a certain threshold. But, that isn't the case in nearly anyone without them having some congenital condition affecting their metabolization and excretion abilities (Wilson's disease, hemochromatosis, etc) or eating some extremely restrictive diet for one reason or another (eg. Alaskin indians eating whale/polar bear liver nearly exclusively and getting Vitamin A toxicity).

(I also hope you picked up in the sarcasm in my initial post you responded to).
Haha, yeah, I got the sarcasm.

The reason I threw out iron and b vitamins in particular is because these are examples of micronutrients people often become deficient in when they stop eating meats and become vegan/vegetarian.

On the flip side, I am not sure there are a lot of microutrients in fruits and vegetables that truly make fruits and veggies super nutritious like people believe.

They have Vitamin A and vitamin E. B vitamins are out. Vitamon C is often minimal. Vitamin D is not really available in fruits/veggies.

They also have some minerals - potassium being a big one. But they lack others.

Now, I am not really trying to say that fruits and veggies are not healthy. They also have a tone of phytonutrients, bacterias, etc. That our bodies can use. It is not cut and dry.

But I think that is the point. It is not cut and dry. People for some reason believe that fruits and veggies are super foods while meat is just horrible for you.

The truth is that fruits and veggies are not as nutritious as people want to believe, and meats are highly nutritious.

Meats are very dense in nutrition actually. But maybe some of the benefit of veggies is actually that they are NOT very nutrient dense.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Haha, yeah, I got the sarcasm.

The reason I threw out iron and b vitamins in particular is because these are examples of micronutrients people often become deficient in when they stop eating meats and become vegan/vegetarian.

On the flip side, I am not sure there are a lot of microutrients in fruits and vegetables that truly make fruits and veggies super nutritious like people believe.

They have Vitamin A and vitamin E. B vitamins are out. Vitamon C is often minimal. Vitamin D is not really available in fruits/veggies.

They also have some minerals - potassium being a big one. But they lack others.

Now, I am not really trying to say that fruits and veggies are not healthy. They also have a tone of phytonutrients, bacterias, etc. That our bodies can use. It is not cut and dry.

But I think that is the point. It is not cut and dry. People for some reason believe that fruits and veggies are super foods while meat is just horrible for you.

The truth is that fruits and veggies are not as nutritious as people want to believe, and meats are highly nutritious.

Meats are very dense in nutrition actually. But maybe some of the benefit of veggies is actually that they are NOT very nutrient dense.
The carnivore diet as applied by Alex completely excludes fruit and veg. This is definitely not healthy.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
To prove it isn't healthy, long term studies would need to be performed. From what it looks like, many people are healing.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The carnivore diet as applied by Alex completely excludes fruit and veg. This is definitely not healthy.
I am not saying it is necessarily optimal...but neither is veganism. Still, I think the human body has been designed to run in a bunch of different environments and in some times/situations it may be a good approach. Or maybe not. I don't know. But I would not discount the fact that it may be healthier than most would think.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I am not saying it is necessarily optimal...but neither is veganism. Still, I think the human body has been designed to run in a bunch of different environments and in some times/situations it may be a good approach. Or maybe not. I don't know. But I would not discount the fact that it may be healthier than most would think.
Since I am a Christian, I do believe the body was originally designed for fruits, and then due to the fall of man, men became omnivores. The big point for the mainly carnivore push is the idea that most fruits and veggies dont grow in the winter/fall, and so meat and fat was the primary consumption of man, at least during those seasons.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
The testimonies I have heard, auto immune disorders, depression, anxiety, dread, lethargy, obesity.
Maybe it works.
Maybe its a placebo effect.
Either way, I believe a balanced approach to nutrition is healthier for most people. At 39, I have seen a few fad diets come and go, and often I feel they are more likely to work for people who need something to believe in.