I have a question about workout routine while bulking?

Fun2Train

Awards
I was hoping for some suggestions on some good workouts for bulking. I do mostly heavy compound workouts in the range of 8-10 reps now. I usually go workout on a monday and tuesday doing all the major compound muscle groups in those 2 days take Wed. off and the start over Thur. and Fri. and take the weekend off. I had been doing like 3-4 sets say Benchpress then maybe do some incline benchpress and then jump over to military press and do some in the front and back for about 3 sets of each. So im getting about a total of 6 sets for both compound workouts. Is this too much? I have read some posts where some people say that all you really need to do is say 1 set of benchpress 10 times then do military 10 times and thats it for those 2 compound workouts. I would assume they mean 1 set of 10 after warmups. Any help or advice woudl be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

smblkolds

Awards
Nope, what your doing, 2 movements per bodypart, 3 sets each twice a week sounds about right to me. Make sure you eat enough and get sleep and put all you got into those sets. Thats about all you can do. Maybe play with your rep range, though. Between 4-15. Good luck.

Fun2Train

Awards
Nope, what your doing, 2 movements per bodypart, 3 sets each twice a week sounds about right to me. Make sure you eat enough and get sleep and put all you got into those sets. Thats about all you can do. Maybe play with your rep range, though. Between 4-15. Good luck.
Yea I been doing this for 3 weeks now and I figured I would just switch up the reps a bit every few weeks to keep my body guessing :)

I been getting plenty of sleep and eating tons and I guess I have to keep in mind im one of those people who have a super slow metabolism so me eating 4000 calories a day is allot , specially mostly clean foods. My first week i gained 4 pounds but I think that was water and my initial gain from adding so much carbs into my diet but now im gaining about 2-3 pounds a week which is fine with me, I dont mind getting some love handles, I can always cut down to 10% body fat when im done bulking. Anyway thanks for the reply its very much appreciated.

zarro84

zarro84

Awards
I think that your plan could be ok depending on how strong you are. My personal opinion would be that you need to get on a powerlifting/powerbuilding routine for a long time. This way you will get freaky ass strong and if you keep eating to support your gains, you will get bigger no doubt.

Fun2Train

Awards
I think that your plan could be ok depending on how strong you are. My personal opinion would be that you need to get on a powerlifting/powerbuilding routine for a long time. This way you will get freaky ass strong and if you keep eating to support your gains, you will get bigger no doubt.
When you say powerlifting are you refering to doing compound workouts like deadlift/military press/bench/sqauts with high weight and lower reps to increase strength gains?

zarro84

zarro84

Awards
When you say powerlifting are you refering to doing compound workouts like deadlift/military press/bench/sqauts with high weight and lower reps to increase strength gains?
Well, yes and no. You will need to do sets at or above 90% of your max, but it isn't sufficient to just do that. Look at a program called Westside for Skinny Bastards by Joe Defranco. You do do high weight low reps stuff, but after that you do stuff in more traditional hypertrophy ranges. This allows you to get strong and get big.

DeFranco's Training ..:: The Ultimate Way To Become A Better Athlete ::..

jvb20

Awards
check out the 5x5 routine builds good strength and size