Hypothyroid??

L_J

Awards
First post on the forum, wasn't sure where to post this so dropped it in here...

Bit of history... 34 years old, and for the past 2 years or so I've been getting various symptoms with no idea as to the reason - tremors, serious brain fog (to the point it's affecting work and social life), anxiety, extreme fatigue, dizziness etc. etc.

About 18 months ago my G.P suggested it may be a thyroid issue so ordered bloods, these all came back within range (not sure of levels) and so told me to 'see how you get on over the next 12 months'. I went back after another 3 months or so as I was struggling at work, relationships had started to suffer etc., he suggested it may be MS so ordered an MRI which was clear, thankfully.

At this point I was at a loss as to what was causing these symptoms, the more research I did, the more it pointed to hypothyroidism. I decided to get some private bloods done, the results of which are below.

Thyroid Function
*THYROID STIMULATING HORMONE *4.58 mIU/L (0.27 - 4.20)
*FREE THYROXINE 14.41 pmol/L (12.00 - 22.00)
*TOTAL THYROXINE(T4) 70.0 nmol/L (59.00 - 154.00)
*FREE T3 5.32 pmol/L (3.10 - 6.80)

Thyroid Antibodies
*THYROGLOBULIN ANTIBODY 13.950 IU/mL (0.00 - 115.00)
*THYROID PEROXIDASE ANTIBODIES 15.11 IU/mL (0.00 - 34.00)

My T levels are also a little messed up, which I'm guessing is due to AS use in my 20's - currently trialling a low dose of clomid and recent levels are below

D.H.E.A. SULPHATE 9.210 umol/L (0.440 -13.400)
FOLLICLE STIM. HORMONE 2.38 IU/L (1.500 -12.400)
LUTEINISING HORMONE 5.14 IU/L (1.700 -8.600)
TESTOSTERONE 16.16 nmol/L (7.600 -31.400)
SEX HORMONE BINDING GLOB 40.35 nmol/L (16.000 -55.000)
FREE ANDROGEN INDEX 40.05 Ratio (24.000 -104.000)

If anyone could help interpret these results a little it would be much appreciated, my GP is not interested so am at a bit of a loss.
I think in the short term I'll jump on a low dose of t4 to try and alleviate some of the symptoms.
One thing to also note is I've been taking a low dose of finasteride for a couple of years for hair loss so DHT levels will most likely be rock bottom, I've read this may interfere with the thyroid so have stopped as of today.

Thanks

Mr.TT

Awards
  • Established
Do you have a family history of hypothyroidism?
Before you dive into SYNTHETIC LEVOTHYROXINE, insure that your iodine, iron, selenium intake is high enough, and
that you are not eating goitrogenic foods.
Yes, obviously, your TSH indicates a thyroid problem, and any Dr. should see that.
It is long process, to zero in the dose of thyroid replacement hormones.
DHT blockers..... some people have no problems from them, some people are not that lucky.

(yes, I am hypothyroid, and have been through this for decades. good luck )

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Please check out secondary hypothyroid due to adrenal insufficiency as I see if commonly.
Suggest 4 point adrenal cortisol test from ZRT, or labrix if you are in UK
Also look into your history to see what toxins you my have been exposed to as a child or current job, Also think about mold, as I am seeing these case more often
Best of luck.

L_J

Awards
Do you have a family history of hypothyroidism?
Before you dive into SYNTHETIC LEVOTHYROXINE, insure that your iodine, iron, selenium intake is high enough, and
that you are not eating goitrogenic foods.
Yes, obviously, your TSH indicates a thyroid problem, and any Dr. should see that.
It is long process, to zero in the dose of thyroid replacement hormones.
DHT blockers..... some people have no problems from them, some people are not that lucky.

(yes, I am hypothyroid, and have been through this for decades. good luck )
No family history that I'm aware of. I'm researching all I can on diet and will be making some big changes!
thanks

L_J

Awards
Please check out secondary hypothyroid due to adrenal insufficiency as I see if commonly.
Suggest 4 point adrenal cortisol test from ZRT, or labrix if you are in UK
Also look into your history to see what toxins you my have been exposed to as a child or current job, Also think about mold, as I am seeing these case more often
Best of luck.
Thanks Matrix, I'll check Cortisol also - do you know of any success treating adrenal issue itself?
I don't know of any toxins I'd have been exposed to and my job is office based so no issue there. Mold is an interesting one though, I know I've been in contact with that for periods of time over the past few years.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Mold will cause dysregulation to the HPTA resulting altering hormones as well as thyroid issues. I see this quite often, espeicially in people from UK.
Yes, Addressing the adrenals can help the thyroid or reveal a hidden thyroid problem which was being masked. If mold is present it needs to be binded and removed from the tissue and out the body.

Mold is a nasty Biatch, it is one of the silent killers leading to suicides and other chronic illness we deal with. It was never an issue in the past, but due to our weaken immune system from increasing gene expression it has become a major issue in the past 5 years and will continue to grow. Right now in UK they are having an epidemic of lyme disease. Its always been there, but weaken immune system is causing it to come out of its dormant form to active form as they are messing

MetalMX

MetalMX

Awards
  • Established
Your Free T3 looks good. I would suggest investing in a high quality multi-vitamin which will provide you all the raw materials for making adequate thyroid and other hormones. Iodine is particularly important. But all the vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids (omega 3's) and Vitamin D are important. Are you eating enough protein a day? This is also key.

Great multi: https://au.iherb.com/pr/doctor-s-best-best-multiple-fully-optimized-vitamin-mineral-complex-90-veggie-caps/50548

This multi contains methylation donors methylcobalamin and methylfolate, it also contains enough Vitamin K (as K2, menaquinone-7) to support sex hormone production and works with Vitamin D to prevent calcification of the arteries and direct the calcium you eat into your bones vs your arteries. It lacks in Vitamin D at 1600 IU so you can add two tablets of this to get about 10,000 IU of Vitamin D a day:
https://au.iherb.com/pr/Doctor-s-Best-Best-Vitamin-D3-5000-IU-180-Softgels/21367

I would add magnesium to the multi to get 300-500mg a day: https://au.iherb.com/pr/Doctor-s-Best-Magnesium-High-Absorption-100-Chelated-120-Tablets/15

about 4 of these a day you'd get enough omegas: https://au.iherb.com/pr/Now-Foods-Omega-3-200-Softgels/323

Just doing this i would say you'd have improvements in how you feel as well as your blood work after a month or so.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Iodine and also selenium would be suggested to add here
Often I recommend Nascent iodine along with eating a few organic brazil nuts a day.