HST Training

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Here's a suggestion someone might want to try as well. Instead of having each bodypart following the same rep and volume cycles why not have them each start at a different point in the total cycle. Such that you may be doing 15s for your quads but 5s for your hamstrings, just as an example. This would likely make each workout a little shorter (only marginally) and help keep things from getting too monotonous. Just a thought.
Probably not a good idea. You still need to progress the weight and doing a workout with a weight calculated to fit in the fifteen or ten range with only five reps might not give enough time under tension. The rep scheme is artificial, it's just a construction to allow for the increasing weight which at some point will cause a drop in reps anyway. It's also a convenient way to look at the workout sometimes be breaking it into those smaller microcycles, but overall the rep range is irrelevant.

Manu20

Manu20

Superman
Awards
  • Established
I'm doing a lot of repeating this cycle from one workout to the next, so an example may be:

for the 12's, if my 12RM on DB curls is 50lbs, I'll work up to 50lbs for two weeks, starting around 25lbs. then once I hit 50, I'll stick with that for about 6 workouts of the 10's, then move it up to 55, etc. I'm not doing any zigzagging of weights, just repeating until I can increase. I can already tell that HST while on cycle is going to amount to some hella 8's and 5's, as Haycock has said happens with the German guy and other cyclists :thumbsup:
Thanks for the reply Jweave.

Manu20

Manu20

Superman
Awards
  • Established
A common mistake is to keep the same number of exercises as when doing a split. When you go with a full body routine it's best to concentrate almost exclusively on core lifts. Bench Press, Squats, Dead Lifts, Bent Over Rows. Big compound movements mobilize the most muscle mass and are the most efficient for a full body routine. For instance my last HST workout went as such:

Bench Press
Bent Over Row
Clean and Press
Barbell Curl
Triceps Extention
Dead Lifts
Calf Raise
Swiss Ball Crunches

Simple and effective. Unfortunately I can't do squats regularly because of a knee problem. I workout at home and my rack doesn't have adequate safeties should me knee give out.
Good choice of exercises there....after a few more week and my knee is fully recovered I can incorporate squats into my next HST cycle.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Good choice of exercises there....after a few more week and my knee is fully recovered I can incorporate squats into my next HST cycle.
Lucky bastard. My knee is as fully recovered as it's ever going to be, and I still can't do them without a spotter/safeties. I do some light weight squats every now and then by myself, and it seems my range of motion through the exercise sufferred a lot. Lost a lot of flexibility in my calves and glutes. I think someone here once wrote about doing dead lifts on a platform with the weight actually on the floor so you have to go down further to grab it. I'm thinking of doing that to get a fuller ROM.

As for the workout, I love it. Right now I split it into Push/Pull and added an exercise per body part, I do a Push-Pull-Rest split now, and it's working rather nicely.

Manu20

Manu20

Superman
Awards
  • Established
Just started my first week of 5's...I can already tell this is going to be tough...the 10's were pretty tough.

Gethuge

Gethuge

Awards
  • Established
Just started my first week of 5's...I can already tell this is going to be tough...the 10's were pretty tough.
Just you wait and see!! The 5's are brutal....i'll be honest with ya bro. The final few weeks of a hst cycle are tough but you know what? That's also the time when you'll begin to actually SEE some results. Keep it up!

xraven13

Awards
Does anyone recommend this for cutting phase ? I need to lose around 5kg in 5 weeks, and maintain current muscles... I was thinking to do this workout every 48h, and between 1 hour of cardio workout... So, day 1 : HST , day 2 : cardio, day 3 : HST etc.
Also, I plan to change number of reps every workout to maintain the strength and intensity... So on day 1 I will be doing 10 reps, day 2 5 reps, day 8 reps, day 4 12 reps etc. Any idea is this any good ?