How much vitamin D can your body absorb

Derek Wilson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How much vitamin D can your body absorb from supplements[/URL] at one time?

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
my wife was diagnosed with vit d deficiency and doc put her on 50,000iu once per week.
Same for me. I worked nights for a long time and hardly go out.

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't know how much can be absorbed at one time, but I managed to get my levels from 8ng/ml (Seriously Deficient) up to 42ng/ml (Very High) with 3x4,000iu (12,000iu) per day. I've lowered it to 8,000-10,000iu per day now but my levels remain in the high 30's/low 40's.

macedog24

macedog24

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I take 2000iu once ed.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I get it. He embedded a link to a peptide site in his questions... lol. Nice one joker.

macedog24

macedog24

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
How much vitamin D can your body absorb at one time?
This is not so easy a question to answer straight forward. There can be many factors that vary from person to person.

Making sure your getting an adequate amount of healthy fats in your diet is crucial for the proper functioning of the vitamin. Cholesterol is also a precursor to vitamin D, and must be consmed in adequate amounts for its synthesis to occur properly.
Poor gastric health and food allergies can cause binding of vitamin D in the small intestine rendering it unusable. Maintaining a healthy gut flora by eating fermented foods and taking probiotics is helpful in promoting full absorption of vitamin D.
Taking Magnesium is also crucial for converting vitamin D to it's active form, calcitriol. When vitamin D is taken by someone who is also low in magnesium, vitamin D cannot be properly used by the cells.
Not only will your deficiency remain unchanged, but the metabolic work from this prevention will drains magnesium from your muscles.

macedog24

macedog24

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I think it depends on your body and how much sunlight you get. I was told I was deficient, went on 5000iu a day and was still deficient. I work indoors. So I can't see it being a specific amount.

macedog24

macedog24

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I think it depends on your body and how much sunlight you get. I was told I was deficient, went on 5000iu a day and was still deficient. I work indoors. So I can't see it being a specific amount.
When in the sunlight your skin can produce up to 10,000iu of vitamin d in somewhere around 30 minutes.

TooMuchSauce

Awards
If you guys can only go with 1 specific vitamin for the day. .A,B,C, Etc...What would you guys choose and why?

Derek Wilson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't know how much can be absorbed at one time, but I managed to get my levels from 8ng/ml (Seriously Deficient) up to 42ng/ml (Very High) with 3x4,000iu (12,000iu) per day. I've lowered it to 8,000-10,000iu per day now but my levels remain in the high 30's/low 40's.
Doc adviced me this.

Derek Wilson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You are right! Per day 30 min. is enough. Extra sunlight is the reason for a headache.

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Taking Magnesium is also crucial for converting vitamin D to it's active form, calcitriol. When vitamin D is taken by someone who is also low in magnesium, vitamin D cannot be properly used by the cells.
I'd like to add and 2nd macedog24 advice too. My doctor fixed my magnesium deficiency 3 months prior to normalising my vitamin D levels.

diana_wills

Awards
Well there is recommendation of 2000IU, but you always have to adjust it to your own life and needs

Derek Wilson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'd like to add and 2nd macedog24 advice too. My doctor fixed my magnesium deficiency 3 months prior to normalising my vitamin D levels.
Good to know the doc advice.