Holy sh*t, P90X just beat my ass.

AttackLife89

Awards
I'm 5'11" and 230 lbs, I've been that way since high school. I played lineback in high school so my coach had me bulk from 215 to around 230 (over the course of a year) and I've kept that weight up until now. I'm 20 years old and I decided that it wasn't really practical for me to be this big so I decided to cut. One of my wrestling friends from high school got really good results from P90x and he sold me the DVD and the diet program for about 1/4 of the cost of the program. I'm now on week two of p90x and I think it is a very good program to get leaner, increase endurance, and boost your cardiovascular health.

This program is obviously for people who want to get leaner and isn't for everyone because everyone's goals are different. This program is a lot different than other programs I've been on, but it fits my goals perfectly. I really like the plyometrics workout, I've played AAU basketball and it reminds me a lot of the plyo program I was on. Obviously this isn't as hard a MMA workout, but I want to get lean, improve my endurance, and it didn't cost a ton of money. I know you can get the same results from the gym (there are **** loads of info on the net), but I'm going to give this a try. I'll give it 90 days and then probably start my own program.

FAMOUSX1

Awards
For the ppl running P90X, do you do it everyday and do the dvd's in order or do you make your own routine? There are 12-13 dvd's, so it would take you about 2 weeks to get thru them doing one a day.
I am about to start the program hopefully next week and just trying to get a soild routine going. Right now i goto the gym 4-5 days a week, i was thinking of do p90x 4-5 days a weeks or maybe 2-3 and goto the gym 2-3 days a week. It seems like alot of ppl here are only using 3-4 dvd's.

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
For the ppl running P90X, do you do it everyday and do the dvd's in order or do you make your own routine? There are 12-13 dvd's, so it would take you about 2 weeks to get thru them doing one a day.
I am about to start the program hopefully next week and just trying to get a soild routine going. Right now i goto the gym 4-5 days a week, i was thinking of do p90x 4-5 days a weeks or maybe 2-3 and goto the gym 2-3 days a week. It seems like alot of ppl here are only using 3-4 dvd's.

Well, the program doesnt work that way exactly, basically there are three stages to it, all 6 day workouts for about an hour a day, the first stage is a few of the dvds, then it changes for the next month, changing up the dvds you watch, then finally the last stage, which changes a few of the dvds again, so you dont really go thru all 12 at once. As much as it may or may not be in fashion, I think p90 has a definite niche it can fill, wether you want to change up your workouts, do the whole program, or supplement your current training with something a little different for a little change of pace. I would never and have never said that p90 is a replacement for iron, and anyone who thinks that is under a misconception. In your case, I would go through the dvds, try a few of the workouts, find which ones you like and incorporate them into your training program. After years of training, sometimes its nice to change things up, and there are a couple of nice workouts in the p90x program, the plyometrics, the kempo and the chest and back, Ive also heard good things about the ab routine, but there also are supposed to be a couple of routines that people find useless. Let us know how you make out, as I am not hawking the program to anyone, but I am always on the lookout for new and interesting things.

plenny

plenny

Awards
  • Established
http://www.wellsphere.com/weight-loss-article/get-p90x-results-by-knowing-the-correct-order-of-the-p90x-workouts/9918

the order in which to do p90x:drillsergeant:

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i've heard only good things about p90x but my biggest question is, what do u do after the 90 days? do you start all over again and isn't that pointless? you worked 90 days harder and harder and then u go back to the easier exercises? it's pretty much the only reason i haven't ordered it yet...well that and i have low ceilings so i have no where for a pull up bar

enswalters

Awards
i've heard only good things about p90x but my biggest question is, what do u do after the 90 days? do you start all over again and isn't that pointless? you worked 90 days harder and harder and then u go back to the easier exercises? it's pretty much the only reason i haven't ordered it yet...well that and i have low ceilings so i have no where for a pull up bar
There is a P90X "plus" system you can use after completing P90X. It's consists of Upper Plus, Total Body, Kenpo, Core, and Interval training. The Interval training is MUCH harder than the plyometrics. It still incorporates some of the routines from regular P90X, but adds variety to the routines.

As for pullups, you can do them in just about any doorway so it doesn't matter how low your ceiling is. Only costs about $25 for a pullup bar.

anythingless

Awards
i heard too much about this thing got so hyper that i got out of shape so that well u know....to use it n get in to .....now my long term(relatively) dream of using it n burn some serious fat is coming close only 1 thing i never knew that i have to buy the program as well ......... thats it i am dropping the idea
hows that 4 a ripoff

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i heard too much about this thing got so hyper that i got out of shape so that well u know....to use it n get in to .....now my long term(relatively) dream of using it n burn some serious fat is coming close only 1 thing i never knew that i have to buy the program as well ......... thats it i am dropping the idea
hows that 4 a ripoff
Dude.... what?

REEVESDIESEL

REEVESDIESEL

Awards
  • Established
My gf recently gave me the dvd's for P90X. I checked out the yoga one and it looks good! It's long as **** though. How's the kick boxing one, anyone?

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Im sorry, but if P90X kicks your ass, youve never done hard training in your life.
Not trying to start a fight, but I am going to have to disagree with you there- I am extremely well-conditioned- and their plylo workout still kicks my ass, and I am no stranger to hard training-my daily workouts consist of speed interval training along with plylos, no rest (including the weight training)- for 90-120 minutes per session

The track coaches at UNCC (where I have done a lot of my training for track) actually use a lot of the similar components of P90-X for fall conditioning- and this type of conditioning is brutal- drill circuits (plylos, but continuous for 1-1.5 hours with core work in-between), 300m sprints with plylos in between, 800m The Hard Way, Jog/Sprint 200's, a very long list, and P90-X incorporates quite a bit of this stuff.

Not really who took what from whom (Track pgm. v. P90-X)- I trained there from 2002-2007- and a lot of this stuff was in place when I got there. I have seen a lot of guys (and girls) who are in top-notch condition puking their guts out over similar workouts- and some of these individuals are Olympic-level athletes.....

Believe it or not- they used to make us do the advanced Tai-Bo (sp.?) as part of fall conditioning as well- it was one of the best things I have done to improve hip flexibility.....

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not trying to start a fight, but I am going to have to disagree with you there- I am extremely well-conditioned- and their plylo workout still kicks my ass, and I am no stranger to hard training-my daily workouts consist of speed interval training along with plylos, no rest (including the weight training)- for 90-120 minutes per session

The track coaches at UNCC (where I have done a lot of my training for track) actually use a lot of the similar components of P90-X for fall conditioning- and this type of conditioning is brutal- drill circuits (plylos, but continuous for 1-1.5 hours with core work in-between), 300m sprints with plylos in between, 800m The Hard Way, Jog/Sprint 200's, a very long list, and P90-X incorporates quite a bit of this stuff.

Not really who took what from whom (Track pgm. v. P90-X)- I trained there from 2002-2007- and a lot of this stuff was in place when I got there. I have seen a lot of guys (and girls) who are in top-notch condition puking their guts out over similar workouts- and some of these individuals are Olympic-level athletes.....

Believe it or not- they used to make us do the advanced Tai-Bo (sp.?) as part of fall conditioning as well- it was one of the best things I have done to improve hip flexibility.....
I agree with you. Not even my military basic training was as intense in the physical conditioning department as this. I would like to get my hands on Insanity as well.

REEVESDIESEL

REEVESDIESEL

Awards
  • Established
I agree with you. Not even my military basic training was as intense in the physical conditioning department as this. I would like to get my hands on Insanity as well.
What's the Insanity??

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What's the Insanity??
The same company as P90X released a new product with Shaun T... called Insanity. From what I have read it is twice that of P90X, but more concerned with condition and sport functionality. Something I am highly interested in.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ya Insanity has no weights(I believe). It is all body weight work. A lot of conditioning. Personally not for me. The people they show who have completed the workout don't have bodies anywhere close to what I want. P90X runs a little be closer.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ya Insanity has no weights(I believe). It is all body weight work. A lot of conditioning. Personally not for me. The people they show who have completed the workout don't have bodies anywhere close to what I want. P90X runs a little be closer.
Yeah.. most around here are looking for the bigger is better type. That insanity looks like more functional conditioning and ripping apart the fat slabs.

I am impressed by some of the people they show myself, but to each their own. Though I wouldnt discount the body weight being a strong factor.... the military has proved that to me! :D

But yeah, its probably not for most people around here that are more size than anything.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah.. most around here are looking for the bigger is better type. That insanity looks like more functional conditioning and ripping apart the fat slabs.

I am impressed by some of the people they show myself, but to each their own. Though I wouldnt discount the body weight being a strong factor.... the military has proved that to me! :D

But yeah, its probably not for most people around here that are more size than anything.
I think other than 1 guy that the people's muscles look flat. It looks more of a skinny build than even an atheletic build.

I wish the military could prove it to me but after living in a military base it has prove to me that they need to step it up. Maybe it is just where I live and the fact it is Air Force. The equipment that they send to the Fitness Center is crap and sets people up to be less in shape.

I am not knocking anybody in the military but any means because they are possibly giving up the ultimate sacrifice(ESPECIALLY 2 days before Veterans Day)

:usa:

REEVESDIESEL

REEVESDIESEL

Awards
  • Established
I personally like wts. mixed with a LITTLE of bodywt exercises. Plus some med ball & tubing. Everybodys idea of the badass look is different.

shortstop1616

Awards
Has anybody taken beachbody's shakeology. Tastes freakin awesome... chocolate or greenberry flavors. Just hit the shop tab at the top. You won't regret it.

dreamofkettle

Awards
how long is each p90x workout?

Ps... dreamofweight is BACK Bitches!!

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established

I go to uncc lol

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think other than 1 guy that the people's muscles look flat. It looks more of a skinny build than even an atheletic build.

I wish the military could prove it to me but after living in a military base it has prove to me that they need to step it up. Maybe it is just where I live and the fact it is Air Force. The equipment that they send to the Fitness Center is crap and sets people up to be less in shape.

I am not knocking anybody in the military but any means because they are possibly giving up the ultimate sacrifice(ESPECIALLY 2 days before Veterans Day)

:usa:
You can not factor Airmen into fitness. Their service doesn't require the level of fitness of some of the other services. That being said, the Air Force base I work on actually has a really nice gym and even have a whole section set up and dedicated to Crossfit where they have contracted Crossfit Alexandria to run session all throughout the week, I dig it.

ryanp81

ryanp81

Awards
  • Established
You can not factor Airmen into fitness. Their service doesn't require the level of fitness of some of the other services. That being said, the Air Force base I work on actually has a really nice gym and even have a whole section set up and dedicated to Crossfit where they have contracted Crossfit Alexandria to run session all throughout the week, I dig it.
Tell that to any Airmen in AFSOC or SOCOM, get your facts straight before you "factor" in a whole entity.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Tell that to any Airmen in AFSOC or SOCOM, get your facts straight before you "factor" in a whole entity.
I would hope that you are able to realize that when I make a generalized statement that it is, in fact, just that, generalized. As with most anything there are exceptions to rules and obviously members of Special Operations Command and other "elite" formations such as AF Combat Controllers and Pararescuemen fall into those exceptions. Hell, there are even Airmen who do nothing, but sit behind a desk who are in the elite level of fitness, but it is a fact that the Air Force in general does not hold it's members to the same level of fitness standards as some other services. A quick google search of the different services' fitness evaluations will show just that.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Very true and no the AF isn't accountable like the 'Corps when it comes to fitness, perhaps it just your base that you work at that is full of fatbodies and airmen/airwomen that ride desks.
Well, I'm in DC and spend a lot of time on Bolling AFB, to be fair, Anacostia, the Navy base that conjoins it is not any better. :bigok: But none the less, Bolling has a fairly nice gym though.