Hiatal hernia surgery?

clint3612

Awards
Anybody ever had a hital hernia surgery? The reason I'm asking this board, is because I think I had one and I think I caused it through weight lifting. Since were all lifters here, I wanted feedback if you had one. The questions I have are: How long did it take before you could train? Did you have lessen the intensity of exercises? Any drawbacks? Any relapses (i hope you haven't) Any feedback would be appreciated!

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
The best thing to do is; get it checked, if it is a hernia get it fixed as soon as possible, take a year off weights and any thing strenuous. When you start back up, start and stay at really light weights for 3 months, if you experience any pain stop lifting weights. JMO

fieldt76

Awards
I had a hernia repaired in 2003, although it was inguinal not hiatal. I still feel pain at the repair site sometimes and am very careful about putting pressure on it. There are some lifts that I go light on or stay away from all together (squats, deads, some ab exercises). It sucks, but I never want to go through the pain of hernia surgery again. I think taking a year off from weights is pretty reasonable after a repair. Like Knowbull said, when you come back, stay light and back off if it starts to hurt. I know this is probably not what you want to hear and I'm not in the medical field at all, just my personal experience.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
A hiatal hernia shouldn't require surgery. If your MD wants to operate on you for a hiatal hernia, get a second opinion.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
A hiatal hernia shouldn't require surgery. If your MD wants to operate on you for a hiatal hernia, get a second opinion.
What about lifting weights? Wouldnt a hiatal get worse? What are the symptoms?