I have a hiatal hernia and would like some input and advice.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So, I found out that I have a hiatal hernia after seeing a gastro. I already met with a surgeon and signed the papers to have surgery. Two days later the gastro calls me and tells me the hernia is too small for surgery and to just ween off the proton pump pills. That of course is not going to work. So I went and had an Esophageal manometry. I'm waiting on the results(it's been two weeks and I keep calling), but I'm afraid she might tell me that the hernia is too small, despite me throwing up after the test and me having to drink maalox almost every night. Has anyone else had to go through this? Also, I'm worried about if I can go back to deadlifting and squatting after surgery. I never got to reach my goal of squatting and deadlifting in the 400 range, even if the low 400 range. I was able to sumo deadlift up to 375 before I had flat foot corrective surgery.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Unless you can't......but lots of people lift extremely heavy with small hernias.
Most of the time a hernia is harmless.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Now if it hurts or is in your nutt sack that's different.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Unless you can't......but lots of people lift extremely heavy with small hernias.
Most of the time a hernia is harmless.
Yeah, the trouble is the acid keep coming back up even with the GERD pills and frankly I don't want to keep having to take the pills. Another main concern is lifting after surgery, if there is any possibility that heavy lifting might mess up the surgery; even though I plan on going back to lifting anyway. Also I forgot to post, I keep having sinus breathing issues and it's exacerbated when I feel the acid especially after I lay down. So, I can't lift heavy now since I'm not breathing correctly. I went to an ENT and he said he didn't know what the issue was. I'm convinced it's related to the hernia.