Help!

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
Hey guys

Its time for me to finally surrender - I have a mental disorder. I cannot for the life of me decide on a program. I really need some help and input here and would greatly appreciate any help. I'll leave a TLDR as well for those not wanting to read everything.

TLDR
-Can't find a program that quite fits. I have tried 5x5, HST, arnolds blueprint, PHAT, full body etc etc
-Have a hard time balancing workouts
-Prefer upper/lower split 6 days a week
-Currently cutting
-Want to focus on strength/size

What I would like to do is essentially something like the PHAT but not having seperate power/hypertrophy days

My thought so far was

Upper Day
Bench3x5
Row3x5
Overhead Press3x5
*assistance hypertrophy work

Lower Day
Squats 3x5
Deadlift 3x5
Romanian Deadlift 3x5
*assistance hypertrophy Work

However - I get stuck around this point - at the moment I am fine with doing this much strength work and not much hypertrophy work because I'm cutting and wanted to seize the next couple months to practice my lifts and get stronger since I can't cut and gain muscle but I can cut and gain strength.

Any thoughts here? Do you think this is too much - not necessary - or would this be a good strength routine to run. I'm not as concerned with programming of it at the moment because I'm still quite small and weak (Squat205x5 , Bench 165x5, OHP 100x5, DL 255x5)

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You might be "small and weak" do the the fact you are unable to stick to a program. Also, if you are new to strength training, you don't need to be lifting 6 days a week. Where are you giving yourself room to increase volume/frequency if you are already training 6 days a week as a beginner? If i was you, for your goals, i suggest 5/3/1 with dave tate's periodization bible for accessories. Follow the program man, it really is one of the best bits of training advice anyone could give you. Ive seen countless people on here say their biggest regret is not following a proven program earlier in their lifting career.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Also, are you as OCD about your recovery (nutrition, rest, etc) as you are about finding the perfect program? Id tend to think if you are killing yourself in the gym 6 days a week and you are asking this question, you could be lacking on the other knowledge involved in building strength and obtaining muscle. Now, i could be totally of basis here, and if that is the case; i'm sorry in advance.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
Lol probably not that bad really. I have been training for about 13-14 months now. I do make sure to get a good eight hour sleep and track my caloric needs. I guess I've just had the best experience so far doing a 6 day upper/lower split. That's what I did with HST and had great muscle gains. I did 5x5 for about 2-3 months and had great strength gains before that. I guess now I would just like to combine the methodology of strength training with frequency and lower volume per session but more per week. No apologies needed :p

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
The closest thing I could find was phat that suited my needs. I would just prefer instead to have 1 Strength movement and combine the power/hypertophy and lower volume.

I went with the ideology that if my nutrition and rest are on point that I can train frequently and make the strength gains through that. Not sure though lol