Help w/Cutting Diet Tweaks

auto_mail8939

Awards
After a long and successful bulking period, I'm ready to start cutting for the spring. Here's my cutting plan thus far:

(Also, I used the BMR calculator from michaelandkendra.com for the caloric values)

9 am (wake up)
Protein pancakes (1/2 cup oats, 5 egg whites, ½ cup cottage cheese)

10:40 am (pwo)
Protein Shake (1/2 cup milk, 1 scoop whey, ½ cup oats)

12:00 noon
2 oz. Deli meat, 1 slice w/w bread

3 pm
1 Chicken Breast, ½ Cup rice

5 pm
1 Can Tuna, 1 slice w/w bread

7 pm
1 Chicken Breast, 1 Cup rice

9 pm
1 Protein Shake (1/2 Cup milk, 2 Scoops whey)

11 pm
1 Small apple, ½ Cup cottage cheese

TOTALS:
2145 Calories (1078, 722, 251) (53/35/12)

My goal is to get into single digit bf from my current 15% or just be able to see my abs without flexing.

This is right in my target range for calories (at 5'8" 160lbs). At this point I'm trying to figure out how to get a little more protein and a little less fat for a more even 55/35/10 split.

Also--if I wanted more carbs in my pre workout meal (when I wake up) do you have any suggestions how to do so while keeping my ratios and calories about the same?

One more note--I don't do well with milk so I keep it to a minimum. A cup a day is about all I can handle.

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
I would either eat the apple in the morning or do away w/ it altogether. Also, move the whey to either before or after your w/o (idk if pwo means pre or post) and replace the 2 scoops w/ some real meat. For your first few meals you are eating every 100mins so if you stretch this to at least 2 hours that would allow you to eat a larger meal earlier in the day to help keep you full. Finally, I don't see much need to go over 6 meals/day unless you know that this works best for you.

auto_mail8939

Awards
I would either eat the apple in the morning or do away w/ it altogether. Also, move the whey to either before or after your w/o (idk if pwo means pre or post) and replace the 2 scoops w/ some real meat. For your first few meals you are eating every 100mins so if you stretch this to at least 2 hours that would allow you to eat a larger meal earlier in the day to help keep you full. Finally, I don't see much need to go over 6 meals/day unless you know that this works best for you.
Sorry, pwo stands for post.

Revised:
9 am (wake up) Protein pancakes (1/2 cup oats, 5 egg whites, ½ cup cottage cheese)

10:40 am (pwo) Protein Shake (1/2 cup milk, 2 scoop whey, ½ cup oats), 1 small apple

12:00 noon 1 Chicken Breast, 1 Cup rice

3 pm 2 oz. Deli meat, 1 slice w/w bread

5 pm 1 Can Tuna, 1 slice w/w bread

7 pm Fish Fillet (tilapia or salmon) & ½ cup Rice

9 pm 1 Chicken Breast, Fibrous veggie

11 pm ½ Cup cottage cheese

And the timings for my meals are fairly inflexible--the 8 meals just kinda have to work due to my school schedule.

This is 2,290 Calories (52/32/16)(P/C/F)

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
I would get rid of the bread.

ditto, I would also up the cals to at least 2500 for a couple of weeks so that you can cut calories when you stall.

Replace the carbs w/ either oats or whole grain carbs.

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Lose the deli meat too, its chock full of sodium. Grab some turkey breast or steak..

auto_mail8939

Awards
My days are hectic... and bread is a carb on the go--sometimes I just have to grab something on the way somewhere. What could I use instead?

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
My days are hectic... and bread is a carb on the go--sometimes I just have to grab something on the way somewhere. What could I use instead?
I'd grab a cup of low fat yogurt. I buy the fit & active vanilla and it's delicious. You can even get the low fat smoothies and they're great for on the go.

auto_mail8939

Awards
I'd grab a cup of low fat yogurt. I buy the fit & active vanilla and it's delicious. You can even get the low fat smoothies and they're great for on the go.
Good call--never would've thought of yogurt.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I see two glaring issues: the first is the lack of veggies and the second is your final meal of the day. I think that you should have more than 1 meal w/ veggies and at least a cup of CC b/f bed.

auto_mail8939

Awards
I see two glaring issues: the first is the lack of veggies and the second is your final meal of the day. I think that you should have more than 1 meal w/ veggies and at least a cup of CC b/f bed.
I toss veggies in here and there, usually spinach or green beans. I'll try to get more throughout the day. I suppose ma was always right.

As for the cottage--a cup? Really? That's like 50g of carbs and 10g of sugar--that's more like something I'd do when bulking. Plus that's a bunch more calories I don't need.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What kind of cottage cheese do you have...mine has 14g of protein and 4g of carbs per half cup

punta

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I toss veggies in here and there, usually spinach or green beans. I'll try to get more throughout the day. I suppose ma was always right.

As for the cottage--a cup? Really? That's like 50g of carbs and 10g of sugar--that's more like something I'd do when bulking. Plus that's a bunch more calories I don't need.
Try some broccoli. Good Stuff :thumbsup:

auto_mail8939

Awards
What kind of cottage cheese do you have...mine has 14g of protein and 4g of carbs per half cup
Whoops I'm retarded... you're right--26% not 26g.

That said, a cup would be 26g of protein, an additional 90 calories. I suppose I could cut some calories somewhere else... my diet is already at the high end of where I'm aiming.