Hanging out on the Westside

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How strong should you be before adding bands to dynamic effort day? I just bought some elite fts minis and wanna give em a go in dynamic effort day.
Stick with minis for bench and squat. Double them for deads.

I workout at a commercial gym. So far, i know how to use a db to set up the bands for benching. Is it the same manner for squat? What about deads??
Squat, yes, but not for deads. It's much easier to buy the short bands and put them under your feet.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
10/23: DE Upper

Floor Press (3 grips)
185x3x9

DB Rows
145x20

JM Press
185x10
205x9
215x7

WY/DB Shrugs
15x7/75x15
15x7/75x15
15x7/75x15
15x7/75x15

Rope Pressdowns
70x15x2

Got it some great work on this day, but got really ****ty news earlier in the day: the meet for December was canceled. The organizer of the meet was diagnosed with cancer and needs rigorous chemo, so the even has been canceled, but there is some hope that it will be rescheduled.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bummer man. Sucks the organizer got cancer.

Well, hopefully a meet comes up sooner than later.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bummer man. Sucks the organizer got cancer.

Well, hopefully a meet comes up sooner than later.
I'm keeping it business as usual for the next 2-3 weeks before I decide whether or not I am going to change the plan. Right now, I'm worrying about establishing openers and realistic expectations. If the meet isn't rescheduled, I will shift towards more advanced techniques to work on top-end strength and shoring up weaknesses within the kinetic chain.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
10/24 DE Lowe

Box Squats
315x2x9

Snatch Grip Deads
315x5x3

DB Bulgarian Split Squats
40x10x4

DB Side Bends
75x10
80x10
90x10
105x8
105x8

Much better on this day in terms of my technique on box squats. Used only briefs and made sure to really sit back on my hips and drive with my chest up. Once again, snatch grip deads took a ton out of my and my upper back is fried from the past two days of training.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
10/26 ME Upper

Bench
Worked up to 455x1 off a 1-board PR
Touched 425x1 PR

OHP
135x9
135x9
135x8
135x8

W/DB Shrugs
15x8/75x20
15x8/85x15
15x8/85x15
15x8/85x15

It's only one session, but so far my 2 on/1 off rotation for shirt work is off to a great start. Set a 20lb PR on touching and went from a 2-board to a 1-board on 455. It looks like the meet is going to be rescheduled and I feel as though I'm starting to get close to a peak for this training cycle. Sunday will be working on my opener, which is going to be a modest 615, and my second attempt, which is 655. At this point, my openers are going to be 615/405/545.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
10/28 ME Lower

Squat
615x1 (projected opener)
655x1 (reverse doubled minis; projected 2nd attempt)
690x1 (reverse light; projected 3rd attempt)

Worked on my attempts to get a better feel on my plan going into December. I was having some depth issues and would stop about 1/2" high on everything but the opener. Overall, the day went well and I hit the big number that I needed for the day. Next week will be a small deload as I've been having consistency issues.

aceroni

Awards
10/28 ME Lower

Squat
615x1 (projected opener)
655x1 (reverse doubled minis; projected 2nd attempt)
690x1 (reverse light; projected 3rd attempt)

Worked on my attempts to get a better feel on my plan going into December. I was having some depth issues and would stop about 1/2" high on everything but the opener. Overall, the day went well and I hit the big number that I needed for the day. Next week will be a small deload as I've been having consistency issues.
When is the meet again? Good work on the squats bro

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hey I got the erase today, will get some blood work done in a week or so for some "befores" then ill start. Do you want a long or anything?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey I got the erase today, will get some blood work done in a week or so for some "befores" then ill start. Do you want a long or anything?
The bloods are more than enough. If you want to throw in a summary of your experience(s), go ahead, but it's not mandatory.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
10/30 DE Upper

Speed Bench
185x3x9

DB Rows
200x8 PR

Dips
BWx15
BW+25x12
BW+45x7

Pullups/Overhead Rope Ex
BWx7/70x15
BWx7/70x15
BWx7/70x15

Facepulls/Side Laterals
70x15/25x25
70x15/25x20
70x15/25x20

I was really freaking rolling on this session. Decided to kick up the DE percentages for a few weeks to see if there is some carryover to my shirted bench and play around my arch, which has been hit or miss lately. I really focused on getting uncomfortably tight from the beginning of the movement and maintaining that tightness for the entire set.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
10/31 DE Lower

Cambered Box Squats
285x2x10

Cambered GM
185x10
205x10
225x10

Walking DB Lunges
55x10x4

Standing Cable Crunches
100x15
120x15
140x10
140x10-drop-100x20

I'm in a good deal of pain today, but the good kind. I finally got my left hip to loosen up and it helped to increase my speed off of the box (big surprise there). Finalizing my plan for the next 3-4 weeks on both upper and lower MEs.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The bloods are more than enough. If you want to throw in a summary of your experience(s), go ahead, but it's not mandatory.
Alright ill get the blood work, and write a summary for you.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
11/2 ME Upper

Worked up to 455x1 (1-board) PR

Since I planned next week as a deload, I had it in my mind to hit a PR and then call it a day. Sure enough, that's exactly what happened and my confidence on bench is getting a little better each week.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
You play around with big weight like nothing Ryan , posting after lurking for a damn good while here haha. Congrats on those bench PRs , where they suited bro?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You play around with big weight like nothing Ryan , posting after lurking for a damn good while here haha. Congrats on those bench PRs , where they suited bro?
Nearly everything ME right now is geared.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
11/4 ME Lower

Squat
585x1
635x1 (second attempt; straps down)
690x1 (reverse average band; straps down)
740x0

I was feeling particularly energetic on this day and we had a full crew at the gym. There was a nice competitive vibe going on and I decided to jump into the foray and attempt a solid PR for the day. 690 flew up and everything was feeling great, so I threw a quarter on each side and decided to give it a go. I had a different guy wrap my knees and his method was very different to what everyone else has done for my knee. As I started getting into position, I felt my left calf (the one I strained about a month ago) starting to tighten. I tried to ignore it and stay focused on the attempt. However, as soon as I unracked the weight, my calf seized up and I had my spotters take the weight. It didn't worsen the injury, but it definitely irritated it.

Here's where the day gets good, though (sarcasm). After I got home and ate, I loaded up my shot to pin before I showered. As I went to pivot to sit down on my bed, my femur internally rotated, but my tibia/fibula stayed in the same place and my patella dislodged for a brief moment. There was a loud crack and I immediately felt an intense pain in my MCL/meniscus are. I had this exact feeling happen to me earlier this year while prepping one of my friends during a fight and it put me out of commission for about 2 weeks. Luckily, this one is not as bad, but there is some swelling and pain in the area. I'm still planning on doing the meet, but I may have to scrap this.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Those numbers are amazing :blink: ...think I can get some of those ratios you have (bw to load on the back) in some 10 years Bro? That just seems superhuman haha

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Those numbers are amazing :blink: ...think I can get some of those ratios you have (bw to load on the back) in some 10 years Bro? That just seems superhuman haha
I still have at least 100 lbs that I'd like to add by the time that I'm 30 and maybe, just maybe, get close to squatting 900 or so by the time I call it a career.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
I still have at least 100 lbs that I'd like to add by the time that I'm 30 and maybe, just maybe, get close to squatting 900 or so by the time I call it a career.
Teach me master :hail:

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
I am still but an apprentice in the geared world.
You are a Jedi Knight training under a Jedi Master...I am but a mere Padawan in the making! No but seriously brother, totally amazed how much weight you handle!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
11/9 ME Upper

Bench
455x1 (1-board) PR
495x1 (3-board) PR

Pressdowns/Side Laterals
80x15x4/30x15x4

Tried a smaller shirt on this day. I use a Metal ace size 54; the one I used on this day was a 52 and it made a huge difference in terms of technique and how much effort it took to get the weight down. I can usually get 405 to a 1-board, but I could barely touch 405 to a freaking 2-board and it moved at a glacial pace. Needless to say, I will be making some slight adjustments to my shirt to get a similar feeling. However, I skipped my lower DE session to let my knee rest, but it's till far from 100 or even 80%. If it doesn't get better by next week, I'll be skipping the meet as it's not worth risking major injury for a hobby.

RicFlair

Awards
Also a very mature attitude to take regarding the meet. That must feel awful but if you can't go up can't go and need to live to lift another day.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
11/11 ME Lower

Cambered GM
325x3x3

Unilateral DB SLDL
50x8x4

DB Side Bends
80x10
85x10x3

DB Shrugs
90x15
95x15x2
100x12

My knee is feeling somewhat better, but definitely not good enough to have significant flexion at the joint. This may turn out to be a blessing in disguise as I do need to focus on strengthening my posterior chain specifically my erectors and my upper back. I'm also going to resurrect a proposed template that I made in the Spring and adapt it to the geared lifter.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
11/13 RE Upper

Close Grip Incline Press
205x5x4
20 reps

HS Pronated Rows
160x12
180x8x4
44 reps

Dips
BWx15
BW+25x10x2
BW+25x8
43 reps

Overhead Rope Ex/Facepulls
70x10x4/80x12x4

Changing gears a little bit here. I've been doing a lot of reading on block periodization and am tinkering with a way to implement it into my training. It'll take some time to get everything right with the three phases and geared work, but I have some ideas that should help to make it a little easier of a transition. The main hangup that I'm incurring right now is whether or not I should make the first lower body a full DE or stick to something in between a RE and a DE.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
11/13 RE Upper

Close Grip Incline Press
205x5x4
20 reps

HS Pronated Rows
160x12
180x8x4
44 reps

Dips
BWx15
BW+25x10x2
BW+25x8
43 reps

Overhead Rope Ex/Facepulls
70x10x4/80x12x4

Changing gears a little bit here. I've been doing a lot of reading on block periodization and am tinkering with a way to implement it into my training. It'll take some time to get everything right with the three phases and geared work, but I have some ideas that should help to make it a little easier of a transition. The main hangup that I'm incurring right now is whether or not I should make the first lower body a full DE or stick to something in between a RE and a DE.
Block periodization? Ill keep on this. Taking a page of dave tates book with the close grip inclines?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Block periodization? Ill keep on this. Taking a page of dave tates book with the close grip inclines?
Yeah, that's why I decided to go with the close-grip incline. I've done incline as ME several times this year, but have never done a close grip variation of it. Not knowing what my 1RM on it is, I kinda guessed as to what weight I should use and stuck with the middle ground of Prilepin's chart on reps.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What do you mean a hybrid?

What I've seen people do before is they actually do somewhere on the order of 14-20+ sets of doubles on DE lower days during accumulation blocks. I don't know if this is with or without accommodating resistance. The other alteration is they stick to dumbbell or bodyweight work for accessory movements, which I hear is for recovery purposes.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What do you mean a hybrid? What I've seen people do before is they actually do somewhere on the order of 14-20+ sets of doubles on DE lower days during accumulation blocks. I don't know if this is with or without accommodating resistance. The other alteration is they stick to dumbbell or bodyweight work for accessory movements, which I hear is for recovery purposes.
Technically, a straight DE falls into block periodizations rep ranges and percentages, but I may do a RE on if I feel my technique loosening. DB and BW work will be done on the "heavier" days for, again, recovery purposes.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
11/14 DE Lower

Speed Pulls (+100# chains)
315x2x10
20 reps

Deficit Conventional Deads (4")
315x5x4
20 reps

Cambered GM
225x10x3
30 reps

Standing Cable Crunches
100x15
120x15x3
60 reps

My hamstrings were fried by the end of this session, which is exactly what I needed. I wouldn't say they're a weak area for me, but they can never be too strong and I've noticed that I'm having some trouble sitting back once I get to ~90% of my 1RM and staying tight at the bottom. Again, switching around some things to make the DE/RE the days where I really hammer the assistance lifts and the ME where I can somewhat easier on them and, also, implementing upper back to lower body days since there is only so much volume you can handle during an upper-body session.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
11/16 ME Upper
Bench275x5x3
275x6
21 reps

Neutral Pullups
BWx8x2
BWx7x2
30 reps

Tate Press/DB Curls
30x15x3/40x10x3

Side Laterals/WYT
30x20/15x830x18/15x8

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
11/17 ME Lower

SSB Box Squat (14")
355x3
355x5x4
23 reps

Conventional Rack Pulls (bar at knee height)
315x5
365x5x3
405x7
27 reps

Hanging Leg Raises/DB Shrugs
BWx15x4/90x20x2

Solid first week of accumulation. Definitely more rep work than I've been doing the past few months and I've had some lingering DOMS, as expected. Tried to do some unilateral thigh work, but the knee didn't feel stable enough and there was too much discomfort for my liking.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
11/19

Close Grip Bench (pinky on rings)
225x5x2
225x4

OHP
135x6

Cable Rows/Facepulls
180x15x4/80x15x4

Looks like I may be taking some time off after this morning. The plan was to do four sets of 5 on CG bench and the first two sets went very well. I was able to get my leg drive and stay tight throughout the lift and everything felt great. On the third set, though, something went awry. I first had trouble unracking the weight, but didn't think anything of it. The first two reps also felt fine and felt like I was on my way to another good set, but the third rep was where things went bad. I think I overtucked at the bottom at it opened up my left shoulder and I felt a slight burning on the anterior side near the bicep tendon/pec area. I tried to continue on, but the fourth rep hurt very badly and I racked the weight. I attempted some OHP, but there was also some discomfort. I've iced the area and took some NSAIDs to hopefully lessen the swelling in the area and the specific ROM that hurts is horizontal flexion with no discomfort raising the arm as long as I don't move it medially. I've never any pec strain until this session, so I'm hoping it heals quickly.

aceroni

Awards
That sucks man..
I've definitely been there though, strained my pec, a little while ago, ended up taking a good six Weeks off of any pressing..
During that time, I really hammered my upper back, scaps, and what not and.. My deads and rack pulls increased quite a bit.. Added some quality muscle to my upper back too ..

So hey on the bright side, everyone can use more upper back..

Anywho I wish you a speedy recovery

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
11/23

Accumulation Week 2, Day 3

Neutral Pullups
BWx8x3
BW+25x6
BW+25x5
35 reps

Tate Press/Pressdowns (w/lat pulldown bar)
30x15x3/70x15x3
90 reps

T-Bar Rows
135x12x4
48 reps

DB Curls
40x12
45x12x3
48 reps

W/Band Pullaparts (mini)
17.5x8/12
17.5x8/12
17.5x8/12
60 reps

The plan today was floor press with my ring finger on the ring, but my pec was not ready. I attempted to give it a go and did a very thorough warmup on the pec/delt tie-in and then did a few sets of 125, which felt good, but 185 hurt. Instead of being stupid, I cut my losses and just go on with what I had planned for the day and subbed in the pressing volume with extra rowing volume.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
11/25

Accumulation Week 2, Day 4

Squat
405x4
455x3x5
19 reps

Sumo Deads
405x5x4
20 reps

Hanging Leg Raises
48 reps

DB Shrugs
90x20x2
100x15
55 reps

Got in some really good work on this day. Went at a slower pace than usual because we had a big group with a couple of guys going full gear. Finally working out a kink in my technique that was messing up the last third of the my squat as I figured out I was driving my hips too far forward and it was throwing me off balance while returning the weigh to the hooks.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
11/27

Accumulation Week 3, Day 1

CG Incline
205x5x2
225x5
225x6
21 reps

DB Row
150x20 PR

OHP
135x6x3
18 reps

Facepulls/Rope Pressdowns
60x20/60x15
60x20/60x15
60x16/60x12
56 reps/42 reps

I was very, very diligent with warming up on this session even if it meant taking away some of my numbers. I usually don't take 10-20lb jumps while warming up, but I did just that to make sure the pec had plenty of bloodflow and was nice and warm. I usually only do 4-5 sets before I start everything , but I did 8 sets before I put 205 on the bar (bar, 95, 105, 135x2, 155, 165, 185) with 4-6 reps on each set. Once I got going, though, everything went very well. The bar was moving very fast and I didn't take any of my sets to failure to stay within my goals for the day. I did notice a slight dip in my lockout strength on OHP, which I attribute to my triceps being fatigued from the CG incline, but I anticipated something like that would happen and I also lightened my pressdown weigh to make sure to get a ton of bloodflow into the area and really stretch the muscle.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
11/28

Accumulation Week 3, Day 2 (w/ suit bottoms)

Speed Pulls (+120# chain)
345x2x10
20 reps

Cambered Box Squats (14")
315x5x4
20 reps

Hypers
BWx15
BWx15 (1 red band)
BWx15x2 (2 red bands)
60 reps

Ab Wheel
BWx10x5
50 reps

I am fairly confident that I have hit the overreaching phase as my power on speed pulls was not where it usually is. It is definitely not from a lack of food as I have increased my calories by 500-1000 per day to try to add some mass. Starting to notice some kinks and soreness in my back, hips, and delts as well even while using my suit. The plan for Friday is floor press, which I supposed to do last week, but couldn't and Sunday is still up in the air. I might do SSB box squats to a higher box, but that isn't set. One thing I will not be doing is pulling with a DL bar for awhile as my hands are killing me from the extra pulling volume that I've been doing for the past three weeks.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
11/30

Accumulation Week 3, Day 3

Floor Press
275x3x3
275x4
13 reps

Neutral Pullups
BW+25x5x3
13 reps

Tate Press/Pressdowns/BB Curls
35x12/70x12/75x12
35x12/70x12/75x12
35x12/70x12/75x12

Seated DB Cleans/Pullaparts (mini)
20x8/12
20x8/12

Final upper body session of the accumulation phase and, sans the strain, I'd say it went well. Combined with the extra calories, I've added on about 3 lbs and my shirts are tighter now. Still not sure about when I will train fully geared again, but I'm leaning towards the first week of the transmutation phase. The main thing I need to decide is whether or not I should deload next week.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How often do you normally deload personally? Or is it more when you feel the need or between phases.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How often do you normally deload personally? Or is it more when you feel the need or between phases.
It's pretty infrequent as I tend to program in waves to avoid overly taxing the CNS and when to scale back on volume of the assistance movement. With gear, you have more wiggle room on loads as you have different scales for different lifts and the corresponding gear. I seldom go fully geared on squat (briefs, suit, and straps up) as it really, really tears me down from the pressure at the bottom.

y0lked

y0lked

Awards
long time no see man! Your a PES rep now? I just finished up my anabeta/endosurge stack and was happy with it. PES is a great company.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
12/2

Accumulation Week 3, Day 4

Box Squats (14" box)
405x3x4
12 reps

Rack Pulls (3-4" below knee)
365x5
405x5
455x7

DB Shrugs
100x15x3

DB Side Bends
75x15x3

Ab Wheel
20 reps

Last day of the accumulation phase. Felt good overall, but a tad slow off of the box once I hit 405 and stuck with that weight. Briefs are starting to feel tighter, which is great as they haven't offered much support for awhile as I lost some weight while I was prepping for 198. I'm holding off on buying some new briefs until I get to my target weight.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I am gonna park in here to get hit with some knowledge and see **** get done :D

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com