GSP-Hughes III

MisterEZE

Awards
  • Established
Dana White announced they will fight April 7 in Montreal. Is this too early for Hughes to get his rematch? It may be. GSP dismantled Hughes with ease. Perhaps Hughes should fight Diego Sanchez after he takes out Riggs on Wednesday. I'm not sure, I know Hughes is (was) the best WW in the world, but the rematch situation in UFC is out of control. I guess this announcement shows how much faith Dana White has in Matt Serra!

size

Awards
  • Established
Hughes game plan should be a lot less standing and a lot more shooting.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
Hughes game plan should be a lot less standing and a lot more shooting.
agreed, hell, any aggressiveness would help. he just kind of stood there last go round.

Forster

Forster

Board Supporter
Awards
Agreed Matt will have to take it to the ground fast.

I am rooting for Matt (have to stick with blood).

GSP is a amazing fighter.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
...I'm not sure, I know Hughes is (was) the best WW in the world, but the rematch situation in UFC is out of control.
I'm not a Matt Hughes fan, but he was definitely the best in the for some time...you have to admit that a few things fell his way though...think about how he got the belt from Carlos Newton (that fight pisses me off everytime I watch it) and then the circumstances in which he got it back when The Prodigy stepped over to K1...Hughes definitely did well at holding onto the belt once he got it though. There's no denying that.

Anyways, Matt Hughes wants very badly to knock somebody out and I think he let that get the best of him against GSP the second time around.

Forster

Forster

Board Supporter
Awards
Anyways, Matt Hughes wants very badly to knock somebody out and I think he let that get the best of him against GSP the second time around.

Yep, Pride will get you everytime.
It's the major demon i fight everyday.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This really doesn't surprise me too much because the next couple of legitimate WW title fights will be rematches. I am a little annoyed at the talk that Diego should get a shot before BJ because BJ is 0-2 in his last 2 fights. BJ was either dominating or in control of each of those fights and I still think that he won against GSP in their first fight.

MisterEZE

Awards
  • Established
This really doesn't surprise me too much because the next couple of legitimate WW title fights will be rematches. I am a little annoyed at the talk that Diego should get a shot before BJ because BJ is 0-2 in his last 2 fights. BJ was either dominating or in control of each of those fights and I still think that he won against GSP in their first fight.
agreed.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
This is a little silly to have the rematch so soon. I'm sure Hughes will have a lot of fans cheering for him in Montreal given his recent statements about Canada. If Diego wins tonight, I want to see him against one of the big three.

Based on the UFC scoring, I think GSP beat BJ. If you want to argue that the UFC scoring should be changed then I'm listening.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is a little silly to have the rematch so soon. I'm sure Hughes will have a lot of fans cherring for him in Montreal given his recent statements about Canada. If Diego wins tonight, I want to see him against one of the big three.

Based on the UFC scoring, I think GSP beat BJ. If you want to argue that the UFC scoring should be changed the I'm listening.
I just think that GSP won because of two takedowns throughout the fight. BJ clearly won the striking and attempted more submissions and I also think that the first round could have been a 10-8 round for BJ. I think that the judging of UFC fights is very, very suspect and if cumulative damage and takedowns that actually lead to damage and/or submissions were added to the criteri, then there would be less disagreement. I just hate how LnP fighters get a win when they are only using 2 of the 5 scoring elements.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just hate how LnP fighters get a win when they are only using 2 of the 5 scoring elements.
...and that is why I love the yellow card and Bushido rules...but, as we all know, Pride is a whole different animal.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I just think that GSP won because of two takedowns throughout the fight. BJ clearly won the striking and attempted more submissions and I also think that the first round could have been a 10-8 round for BJ. I think that the judging of UFC fights is very, very suspect and if cumulative damage and takedowns that actually lead to damage and/or submissions were added to the criteri, then there would be less disagreement. I just hate how LnP fighters get a win when they are only using 2 of the 5 scoring elements.
I agree with your statements on scoring 100%. Pride's scoring is better, but a little too subjective IMO. There have been some questionable decisions in Pride too, just look at poor Mezger's career over there.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree with your statements on scoring 100%. Pride's scoring is better, but a little too subjective IMO. There have been some questionable decisions in Pride too, just look at poor Mezger's career over there.
There is not a flawless system when opinions are involved, but I think that if there is a split decision in a fight, then they should continue the fight.

andro69

andro69

Awards
  • Established
I'll be more than happy to watch a rematch. GSP is phenomenal. I'm a Hughes fan too. Diego kicks azz but will have a learning experience if he ever gets in the octagon with GSP.

GSP vs. BJ was a good fight. GSP may have looked for the worse but was clearly the winner.

canadian champ

Awards
  • Established
The Serra vs GSP fight is trying to be avoided because they are friends... they are trying to get Serra a title shot at the lighter division. Besides, Serra has no chance.

cc

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
The Serra vs GSP fight is trying to be avoided because they are friends... they are trying to get Serra a title shot at the lighter division. Besides, Serra has no chance.

cc
You're right, and I hope Serra gets a shot at 155, cause like you said he has no chance against GSP.