Getting my dad back on track

antiacus

Awards
Hey guys.

I'm now 41 and on a good run with my fitness & bodybuilding. I grew up in the gym watching & spotting for my dad. He was the biggest natural bodybuilder i've ever seen (that i could confirm was 100% natty anyway), a genetic freak.

He's 65 now and looks very good for his age. He's 6'2" 195 and probably 12ish% bf. He still trains with weights but he hasn't gained any muscle in a long time. We were talking on the phone the other night and i told him that with the latest in training and supplementation that wasn't necessary. He said to hook him up and he would try whatever i suggested.

I would be so excited to see him get re-invigorated about weight training and see what he could do! He hasn't done squats or deads in many many years because of an old knee injury (logging) but i'm going to have him try the dead-squat bar this week and see what happens. But that's for another thread.

Here are the supps i know i'm going to put him on:

Fish oil (probably cod liver) and extra virgin raw coconut oil
Creatine
Whey
D3
multi
turmeric (anti inflammatory, arthritic, joints etc)
ZMA (he complains of insomnia, also considering something with melatonin)

Any criticisms of what i've got so far?

Also seeking advice on a good pre-workout shake (non-stim) to help invigorate his workouts and also any suggestions on natural t boosters (besides the ones listed above) with solid clinical trial results? Maybe a combination with the usual suspects, terestrus, saw palmetto, nettle and see how he responds?

Thanks!

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Check out FINAFLEX REV PCT and Pure Test combo for test boosting. Great stack to get the levels boosted up.

Pure Test is DAA wich is by far the most popular natural test booster on the market today.

REV PCT has a liver enzyme, heart help and prostate matrix on top of estrogen controlling and testosterone boosting ingredients.

These two products work synergistically together to boost testosterone levels while simultaneously reducing estrogen.

Our MAX PUMP along with BCAA+SAA would be a nice little stim free pre workout concoction if you are looking to go the non stim route

Other Non stim pre workout options you might check out are Body Octane, Hemavol, High Volume and caffeine free Focus XT. All of those are solid solid choices.

antiacus

Awards
Check out FINAFLEX REV PCT and Pure Test combo for test boosting. Great stack to get the levels boosted up.

Pure Test is DAA wich is by far the most popular natural test booster on the market today.

REV PCT has a liver enzyme, heart help and prostate matrix on top of estrogen controlling and testosterone boosting ingredients.

These two products work synergistically together to boost testosterone levels while simultaneously reducing estrogen.

Our MAX PUMP along with BCAA+SAA would be a nice little stim free pre workout concoction if you are looking to go the non stim route

Other Non stim pre workout options you might check out are Body Octane, Hemavol, High Volume and caffeine free Focus XT. All of those are solid solid choices.
Thanks man. I'm thinking something that provides a nice pump would help spark some intensity for him.

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
Montego's suggestion of pct revolution and pure test is a very good one. Both are great products.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks man. I'm thinking something that provides a nice pump would help spark some intensity for him.
If a pump is what you want MAX Pump is perfect in that aspect.

It is ourBetaine Nitrate wich increases endurance, strength and blood flow (da pump). After a initial loading phase, (about five days), he will also notice increased muscle hardness throughout the day as well a day long pump.

Also quite a few people report improved erection quality :) I dunno if the old man is looking for that but if he is it well help for sure lol.

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
Formutech nutrition has a few sups they may be of interest.

First for trouble sleeping we have REM 8.0 which is superb. This can help Him get into REM sleep which is where the body does a lot if work. We also have a ZMA that works well. I really sleep good with it.

As a non stim pre workout he could use endurance BCAA plus. This has great lactic acid buffers and provides a full serving of BCAAs.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
first things first.. have him get cleared for supplement use by a doctor. you don't want to kill your dad because you gave him something that doesn't mix with some of his meds.
after that I think I would stick to your plan and ease into it. at 65 yrs of age hes not a spring chiken any more.
hes liable to get hurt if you give him some stuff that makes him feel too strong or too recovered.. just keep it simple.
deffinately add some creatine and some iForce joint help to the list.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As Ripper says, get a full checkout from the doctor. BP spike from lifting can be an issue for someone older. Also agree with adding IForce Joint Help, glucosamine and creatine.

antiacus

Awards
Thanks guys, good advice. He presently lifts at least 2x per week (as he has for the last 45 years).

I was going to start him easy and on a HST type plan, so he will be going down in tonnage likely to start things off.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i got my father down 2 pants sizes....he refuses to take most supplements because he thinks they are harmful in the long run

however for their age i have him on whey protean, had him drinking bcaa's but now he's all about compete (i think he still believes its just bcaa's), fish oil, and he loves garlic supplementation

sleep could really help the older crowd, personally for me zma disrupts my sleep, so i'd recommend lights out but if it helps him sleep zma could be a nice addition at his age

try hemavol for a non stim pre workout for him though, he won't mind drinking it because it tastes good and will give him pumps to really make him feel good in the gym (check with the dr of course)

as far as working out, i'd recommend having him start with body weight squats first even before a bar

antiacus

Awards
i got my father down 2 pants sizes....he refuses to take most supplements because he thinks they are harmful in the long run

however for their age i have him on whey protean, had him drinking bcaa's but now he's all about compete (i think he still believes its just bcaa's), fish oil, and he loves garlic supplementation

sleep could really help the older crowd, personally for me zma disrupts my sleep, so i'd recommend lights out but if it helps him sleep zma could be a nice addition at his age

try hemavol for a non stim pre workout for him though, he won't mind drinking it because it tastes good and will give him pumps to really make him feel good in the gym (check with the dr of course)

as far as working out, i'd recommend having him start with body weight squats first even before a bar
He won't squat. I'm hoping the dead-squat bar (cage you stand in) will work for him. I'll have him start at 135 (he cuts down trees, hauls them around, splits wood regularly) x 6 or 8 to begin with and see how it feels. I think right now he uses hip sled so that he can set his range of motion to whatever he wants. This is no weight lifting newb. He's been lifting since around 1970 and was at one time ****ing huge on nothing but home cooked meals and water.

The reason i'm stepping in is because i think his routine has gotten pretty static and he has never taken so much as a vitamin as far as supps go. Like i said, he was a genetic freak in his youth and could gain muscle without trying.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My 2 cents: see a doctor, get a physical, make sure everything is working properly. I don't see the point, or use, to get him a bunch of stuff outside of generic health products. I would think that most of it would be wasted. Now, my studies in biology/nutrition do not stretch to the elderly, so i may not be the best person to comment. But this is what i do/study.

Solid multi vitamin: Orange Triad, Anavite, Life Force
EPA/DHA product: Orange Oximega, SAN fish fats
Cissus: SNS bulk
Creatine: from SNS or any bulk supplier that can assure quality
Whey protein if needed, but i doubt it really is.
A blood test would be great to see if he's deficient in any specific vitamin like D.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
Pretty much whats already been said. Doctors approval would be your best bet first. My family is very "young" and I have my grandpa taking creatine and joint help. He drinks plenty of coffee so he doesnt need any preworkout :)