GDA question

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I am made of questions regarding GDA’s. @sns8778 @Mike Arnold. I have read threads of it being used during a bulk and during a cut. Should it be cycled? Is it like creatine and can be taken year round? When should it be taken? I’m assuming it depends on what you are using it for goal wise. I have also read that Mikes GDA works differently than Steve’s GDA. If someone was carb cutting should a GDA still be used?

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I am made of questions regarding GDA’s. @sns8778 @Mike Arnold. I have read threads of it being used during a bulk and during a cut. Should it be cycled? Is it like creatine and can be taken year round? When should it be taken? I’m assuming it depends on what you are using it for goal wise. I have also read that Mikes GDA works differently than Steve’s GDA. If someone was carb cutting should a GDA still be used?
I am now reading a similar thread created back in august. I’m such a bonehead
Ha. No worries.

If its the thread that I think you're talking about, I had given some in depth answers in there.

But in general, there are a lot of people that use GDA's year round and they can be used for cutting, recomp, or to help stay as lean as possible while bulking.

Yes, you can still use a GDA when carb cutting, especially if using carbs at certain timing.

Some people really cutting carbs very low may choose to use GlucoVantage XT over GlycoPhase during those times.

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yeah you went into detail on differences between GlucoVantage XT and GlycoPhase

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am made of questions regarding GDA’s. I have read threads of it being used during a bulk and during a cut. Should it be cycled? Is it like creatine and can be taken year round? When should it be taken? I’m assuming it depends on what you are using it for goal wise. I have also read that Mikes GDA works differently than Steve’s GDA. If someone was carb cutting should a GDA still be used?
1)GDA's can be used during any phase, whether that be cut, bulk, recomp, maintenance.
2&3)GDA's don't need to be cycled and can be used all year round.
I personally use SNS's GlycoPhase all year round and add in GlucoVantage XT for those extra carb heavy meals/days.
4)GDA's are typically taken 20-30 minutes before a meal, preferably on an empty stomach.
5)GDA's can be used whilst carb cutting, it'll help put the carbs you are consuming to good use.

Darkhorse192

Darkhorse192

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
1)GDA's can be used during any phase, whether that be cut, bulk, recomp, maintenance.
2&3)GDA's don't need to be cycled and can be used all year round.
I personally use SNS's GlycoPhase all year round and add in GlucoVantage XT for those extra carb heavy meals/days.
4)GDA's are typically taken 20-30 minutes before a meal, preferably on an empty stomach.
5)GDA's can be used whilst carb cutting, it'll help put the carbs you are consuming to good use.
100% agree with all points, though would add, GDA's probably not the most ideal to use during a super high-fat meal. they are amazing for the high-carb meal of the day or high-carb refeeds. I am not like others who like to use them prior to huge cheat days when you have high carbs and gats together.

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
100% agree with all points, though would add, GDA's probably not the most ideal to use during a super high-fat meal. they are amazing for the high-carb meal of the day or high-carb refeeds. I am not like others who like to use them prior to huge cheat days when you have high carbs and gats together.
What is the negative for a high fat meal? Fat storage?

timmy8888

Awards
  • Established
For those 500g carb day refeeds, easily glycophase is best gda out there not too far behind is Glucosatrol®. Both are amazing so can't go wrong with either; game plan start of new year is to do a slow lean bulk and use glycophase everyday

*Cross our fingers maybe for holiday season we can get defuse from evomuse @dsade . Hands down best supplement work for high fat amd high carb meals.

A good replacement for time being that has worked for high fat meals is Glucosatrol® by KetoGenics. More efficient for heavy carbs but for me even when I take this before a high fat meal, things seem to digest better and don't feel crappy afterwards (ime, you or others may be different)

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
No real negative with a high fat meal; if you're doing both carbs and fat, just better to choose to take them with carb meals.

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I use GDA's year around. I follow a modified Carb backloading diet, but instead of skipping my backload on nights I don't train, I use a GDA.

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
*Cross our fingers maybe for holiday season we can get defuse from evomuse @dsade . Hands down best supplement work for high fat amd high carb meals.
I have an unopened bottle of Defuse I probably won't use?

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I am more confused than before I asked the initial question

Darkhorse192

Darkhorse192

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
you can use a GDA year-round regardless of whether you are bulking or cutting, and it does not need to be cycled. Works best with higher carb meals, and if it has berberine in it, probably best to dose away from your workout.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I am made of questions regarding GDA’s. @sns8778 ]. I have read threads of it being used during a bulk and during a cut. Should it be cycled? Is it like creatine and can be taken year round? When should it be taken? I’m assuming it depends on what you are using it for goal wise. I have also read that Mikes GDA works differently than Steve’s GDA. If someone was carb cutting should a GDA still be used?
I can see why, but here is the simple answers based on your post.

I have read threads of it being used during a bulk and during a cut. Should it be cycled?
No, there is no need to cycle GDA's. They can be used during a bulk, a cut, or during recomp.

Is it like creatine and can be taken year round?
It can be taken year round.

When should it be taken? I’m assuming it depends on what you are using it for goal wise.
Yes, it would depend a bit on your goals. Generally speaking, they are taken with your highest carb meals of the day.

I have also read that Mikes GDA works differently than Steve’s GDA.
I don't like to compare our products to other companies products, so I can only speak for GlycoPhase, GlucoVantage XT, and the topic of GDA's in general.

If someone was carb cutting should a GDA still be used?
Yes, they can still be used and will help with fat loss, improved insulin sensitivity, and helping keep your blood sugar levels more balanced. Basically, they can be very helpful with the reasons that most people cuts carbs for to begin with.

Important note:
One reason this subject can get very confusing is that some products on the market that call themselves GDA's are really more of blood sugar control products than GDA's and that can confuse the subject of what GDA's are for a lot of people.

You said that you had read my detailed info in another thread on the subject, and I think I covered that in the thread, so I won't bore you with it by repeating it here.

Here is a link to @TheMrMuscle 's review on GlycoPhase and he goes into a lot of great details about why and how he uses it:

If you have any questions, please let me know. If you'd rather discuss privately, you're welcome to pm me.

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Thanks Steve. As always, much appreciated A-D-D got the better of me. Lmao

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thanks Steve. As always, much appreciated A-D-D got the better of me. Lmao
No worries at all. I have terrible ADD myself, so I can completely relate. Sometimes too much information hits a point of information overload.

I think my ADD is one of the reasons why I tend to overexplain things sometimes because I always worry that people can't understand things if I don't. Like I never want to shorten things too much and confuse anyone or assume that everyone knows all the basics. I know it can get on people's nerves sometimes that do know a lot of it, but I always try to think about the people reading and not posting and want them to be able to understand as well.

Mike Arnold

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The type of GDA used should be decided by your goals. Is fat loss and insulin sensitivity your goal? Then go with an AMPK heavy GDA, such as dihydroberberine/berberine. DHB/ BB is the single most effective AMPK-based GDA on the market, period. Of course, DBH/BB products are often stacked with other ingredients. Some of these products primarily and potently target a singular goal, such as fat loss, so they will typically contain other fat loss-based ingredients. Other products will contain a miss-mash of ingredients that provide all sorts of different effects, but the strength of each effect will be more moderate in nature, thereby making the product a "jack of all trades" rather than an expert in a single area. Both kinds of products can be great, depending on what you're looking for.

If you're looking for more of a growth oriented GDA, then you don't want to go super heavy on the AMPK component. Some AMPK activation is OK and even good for growth, but excessive activation is not. If you prioritize growth, you want products which contain more insulinotropic ingredients.

Remember, both AMPK-based ingredients and insulinotropic ingredients still provide "glucose disposal" effects. The difference is in HOW they do so. This makes some better suited for growth, and others better suited for fat loss.

Furthermore, GDAs as a class rarely work through just a single pathway. For example, one ingredient may be primarily insulinotropic, but that doesn't mean it doesn't activate AMPK. It may indeed activate AMPK, but just not to the same degree as its primary pathway (ex. insulin release). Likewise, just because an ingredient primarily targets AMPK, it does not mean it possesses zero insulinotropic/insulin mimetic effects. When selecting a GDA ingredient(s), we should choose those which best target the pathways that help us accomplish our goals.

There is no need to cycle GDAs, but you can if you want to.

Last edited:
PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
The type of GDA used should be decided by your goals. Is fat loss and insulin sensitivity your goal? Then go with an AMPK heavy GDA, such as dihydroberberine/berberine. DHB/ BB is the single most effective AMPK-based GDA on the market, period. Of course, DBH/BB products are often stacked with other ingredients. Some of these products primarily and potently target a singular goal, such as fat loss, so they will typically contain other fat loss-based ingredients. Other products will contain a miss-mash of ingredients that provide all sorts of different effects, but the strength of each effect will be more moderate in nature, thereby making the product a "jack of all trades" rather than an expert in a single area. Both kinds of products can be great, depending on what you're looking for.

If you're looking for more of a growth oriented GDA, then you don't want to go super heavy on the AMPK component. Some AMPK activation is OK and even good for growth, but excessive activation is not. If you prioritize growth, you want products which contain more insulinotropic ingredients.

Remember, both AMPK-based ingredients and insulinotropic ingredients still provide "glucose disposal" effects. The difference is in HOW they do so. This makes some better suited for growth, and others better suited for fat loss.

Furthermore, GDAs as a class rarely work through just a single pathway. For example, one ingredient may be primarily insulinotropic, but that doesn't mean it doesn't activate AMPK. It may indeed activate AMPK, but just not to the same degree as its primary pathway (ex. insulin release). Likewise, just because an ingredient primarily targets AMPK, it does not mean it possesses zero insulinotropic/insulin mimetic effects. When selecting a GDA ingredient(s), we should choose those which best target the pathways that help us accomplish our goals.

There is no need to cycle GDAs, but you can if you want to.
Thanks for clearing this up Mike. Much appreciated. Supplement chosen should be goal oriented, makes sense.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 16
Supplements 1
Supplements 31
DWeaver Supplements 16
Johnston Supplements 21