Fourth Year Student: My Senior Year

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
2008 FAME World Championships, June 13-15, Toronto, Canada

Friday, June 13, 2008

I got up at 4 AM and left my home in Birmingham, Alabama at 5 AM for my 6 AM flight to Atlanta and on to Toronto, where I arrived at noon.

One nice surprise was that I was upgraded to First Class on both of these flights and again on my Toronto to Atlanta leg on Sunday. Nice

After checking in at the Novotel Toronto hotel, one of two host hotels for the FAME Worlds, I headed for the John Bassett Theatre at the Metro Toronto Convention Center to check in and attend the Athletes Meeting at 4 PM.

After the meeting, I anxiously waited for my “partner” to arrive from California. Ruby Carter-Pikes a 62 year-old Master Bodybuilder and Master Figure Pro and I had agreed at the FAME North American Championships in Miami last November to enter a new category at the 2008 Worlds called, FAME Fittest Duo. The competition has two options. One is a choreographed routine set to music to show creativity, muscularity, and style and the other is called Toned Twosome,” mostly for models. We chose the Routine option.

We each had the CD with our music, but had never met to work on a routine. We spoke by phone a few times to discuss what each would bring to the party. Our contest was scheduled to begin at 7 PM. Ruby was scheduled to arrive at 3 PM. After a flight delay, she showed up at 6:30. Did we panic? Nope. We are Pros.

She changed into her posing suit and we went to a large room where other athletes were preparing for their, Figure, Fitness and Muscle Model contests. We played the CD a couple of times and discussed what we wanted to do. After 15 minutes of rehearsal, we hit the stage for our rendition of Paul McCartney’s, “When I’m 64.” We did the routine flawlessly and the audience loved it, laughing at the right places and applauding a few times during the routine. We had a great time. Many of the athletes who watched us put the routine together “on the fly” came up and said, “Wow that was incredible.”

There were three other young couples in the Class and as 60 + Masters, we finished in Fourth Place. We had achieved our goal of bringing the Masters Class to this new Competition.

I returned to the hotel at around 10 PM, showered off the Dream Tan (as best as I could) and had my final meal of lean beef and rice. I cut my water when I went to bed.

Saturday, June 14, 2008

I woke up at 7:30 after a restful night and had my first portion of dried oatmeal. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. I was hungry. I sipped a little water and then practiced my posing and posing routine for my contest later that day.

I became harder and leaner as the morning progressed. It’s fun to watch your contest preparation come to a successful conclusion. I was upbeat as I prepared my bag for the show. This is my 25th major contest and I have learned to relax and take my time as I get ready.

I left the hotel at 1 PM after a pancake breakfast to add my final carbohydrate load and arrived at 1:30, an hour before the 2008 FAME Masters World Championship was to begin.

When I arrived at the venue, I found that the show was running about an hour behind schedule. Instead of going on at 3:30, the Grand Master Pro Class didn’t hit the stage until nearly 5 PM. There were four of us entered in the contest, including the first place winner in the FAME Grand Master Worlds in 2005, an athlete I have been looking to go against again. He placed Third and told me after the show, “I’m finished competing.” I was sorry to hear that. Guy was a good competitor. In what the judges called an extremely close contest, I was edged out for the Championship by a good middleweight and placed Second.

I accomplished one of the two goals I had set for this show: I wanted to come in better than I did when I won the 2007 FAME North American Grand Master Pro Championship in Miami last November and I did. And, I wanted to win my Pro class, which I almost did. Nevertheless, to win the Silver Medal at a World Championship is pretty cool.

Sunday, June 15, 2008.

After Church, I checked out of my hotel and went to the venue to watch the Advance Amateur classes compete. These are athletes who have placed in the top three in regional shows and had the opportunity here to win a FAME Pro Card.

I left Toronto at 6 PM and arrived home at 11 PM that evening.

Tomorrow, I begin training for my 26th show, the 2008 NPA Nationals and Masters Universe in Ft. Lee, Virginia on June 28, where I will try to win my fourth Pro Card.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Tuesday, June 17, 2008, 11 days until the 2008 NPA Nationals and Masters Universe Pro Qualifier, Ft. Lee, VA.

http://www.bodybuildingsenior.com/photos2008.htm

I have posted some stage shots from the 2008 FAME Grand Master Pro World Championships in Toronto on June 14. In a very close contest, I won the Silver Medal in my fourth Pro Show.

Today my training partner and I worked legs and calves for the first time in two weeks. It was good to get back to heavy lifting. We did heavy sets of squats, extensions, leg curls and calve raises. We followed that with 100 crunches and 30 minutes of tread mill.

I have about a week and a half to prepare for my final contest of the first half of the year. After the NPA show in Virginia, I will take some time off from competing to prepare for two Pro Shows in Florida in November.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday, June 18, 2008, 10 Days Until the 2008 N.P.A. Nationals and Masters Universe Pro Qualifier, Ft. Lee, Virginia.

Weight: 141.0

Today my training partner and I left the weights in the rack and did a bodyweight workout.

Unassisted Pull Ups
10 x 10 - 100 reps (wide, narrow, hammer and biceps grips)

Rotating Handle Push Ups
10 x 10 - 100 reps

Hanging Leg Lifts
10 x 10 - 100 reps

Bensen Ball Crunches
10 x 10 - 100 reps

Skip Rope
10 x 25 skips - 250 reps

Tread Mill
20 minutes of moderate speed, moderate elevation work

I'm looking hard, lean and cut as I prepare for my show next week. I am fully recovered from the FAME Worlds and an looking forward to hitting the stage again on June 28th. As it will be my final contest of the first half of the year, I'm really looking forward to dumping my face in the food trough.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Thursday, June 19, 2008, Nine Days Until The 2008 N.P.A. Nationals and Masters Universe Pro Qualifier, Ft. Lee, Virginia

Weight: 140.6

Today my training partner and I worked on back, lats, shoulders and biceps. We did two sets of two exercises, 8-10 reps each, for each body part. We lifted as heavy and as slowly as we could, holding at the top of each rep. We ended our session with 100 crunches and 30 minutes on the tread mill.

Michael, my training partner, is driving with me from Birmingham, Alabama to Ft. Lee, Virginia. He plans on competing next year and wants to see and feel the whole experience of contest prep, the last week and the last two days before a show.

We will enjoy eating our way back home on Sunday.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Friday, June 20, 2008, One Week Until the 2008 N.P.A. Nationals and Masters Universe Pro Qualifier, Ft. Lee, Virginia

Weight: 141.0 - After a Re-Feed Day

Today my training partner and I did a legs workout. Since I am one week away from my next contest, I did a very light legs workout while my partner kicked butt with his.

I am very keyed up about the Natural Physique Association (N.P.A.) show. Last year, I tied for First and lost in the tie-breaker, "leaving" my N.P.A. Pro Card on the stage. I am determined to bring my Pro Card home this time. I will bring a better package to the show than I did last year. I will not tie again.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Monday, June 23, 2008, Five Days Until the 2008 NPA Nationals and Masters Universe Pro Qualifier, Ft. Lee, Virginia

Weight: 140.0

Today my training partner and I played around with the Advance GH/ITT Cardio Training Plan that we will begin working after my contest this weekend. Michael and I are driving from Birmingham, Alabama to Ft. Lee, Virginia on Friday for the show.

My contest prep is going well and I believe I will be better than I was at the FAME Worlds on June 14. I am trying for my fourth Pro Card at the N.P.A. contest.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Tuesday, June 24, 2008, Four Days Until the 2008 Natural Physique Association (N.P.A.) Nationals and Masters Universe Pro Qualifier, Ft. Lee, Virginia

Weight: 139.0

I am ready now and will hold it all together until stage time on Saturday. I'm feeling great and I'm really excited about this show. I have been waiting for a year to come back to this venue. Last year, I tied for First and won Best Poser. This year, I am going to place First and win Best Poser...at least, that's the plan. Ha, ha.

Today my training partner and I worked the second day of our post-contest training plan, Advance GH and HITT Cardio. We did biceps and triceps. This plan is about reps to failure or near failure. It's tough but fun. I'm looking forward to training hard for my next two Pro Shows later this year.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday, June 25, 2008, Three Days Until the 2008 Natural Physique Association (N.P.A.) Nationals and Masters Universe Pro Qualifier, Ft. Lee, VA

Weight: 137.0 - Body Fat 6.8%

I'm taking is real easy. Today I did a few body weight exercises and a slow walk on the tread mill. After the workout, I did a full-body shave and exfoliation to prepare for my first of two professional spray tans. I will apply Dream Tan II on top of the two sprays before the contest.

Last evening, I had my first Artist Model session at the Forstall Art Center in Homewood, Alabama. I posed in my posing suit for one male and eight female artists who worked in acrylic, pencil and oil to capture the male anatomy on canvas. I had to do several two-minute poses, two five-minute poses and three 20-minute poses. For the longest ones I chose to pose as Rodan's The Thinker sculpture. It worked. I got to sit during the hour. After the session I was asked if I would come back again. The artists work with live models once a week. I got paid for my time. So now I can add 65 Year-Old Buff Artist Model to my resume. Ha, ha.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Thursday, June 26, 2008, Two Days Until The 2008 Natural Physique Association (N.P.A.) Nationals and Masters Universe Pro Qualifier, Ft. Lee, Virginia

Weight: 138.6 Body Fat 6.8% No Weight Training or Cardio Today.

I am carbing up and enjoying every bit of it. Ha, ha. I'm ready to get it on. This one's mine to Win. I am bringing my best-ever physique to the stage on Saturday. Last year, I tied for First and lost my Pro Card in the tie-breaker at this show. I'm not driving 11 hours on Friday from Birmingham, Alabama to Ft. Lee, Virginia to come home on Sunday with another Second Place trophy. I never worry about who else is going to show up. I have no control over that. I want 'them' to worry about me showing up for this one. LOL.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Monday, June 30, 2008

The NPA 2008 Nationals and Si-Flex Masters Universe Bodybuilding & Fitness/Figure Championships Pro Qualifier, Ft. Lee, Virginia, June 28.

Results:

NPA Masters Universe Grand Master 60+ - 2nd Place
NPA Nationals Open Men's Lightweight - 4th Place
Best Poser - I have won Best Poser in competitions at ages 61, 62, 63, 64 and now at 65.

For the second time this season, I have been in the best condition of my life for a contest. I hit the stage at 140 pounds and 6% body fat. I was hard, lean, muscular, vascular, symmetrical, well tanned and groomed and posed my butt off and for the second time in a row, I lost to a guy who was less conditioned, less muscular, less cut, less vascular, much less symmetrical, less well tanned and groomed and not as good a poser, but HE WAS BIGGER. He was an inch shorter than me and was about 15 pounds heavier.

The message is clear. The judges were looking for size, not symmetry, size, not definition, size, not vascularity, size, not muscularity. In this show, In my opinon, shared by others, they also awarded a large heavyweight the Overall against a much more defined, muscular, symmetrical middle weight.

Because of these results, I have made a decision to stop competing for the rest of the year and the first half of next year. I am taking the next 12 months to add lean mass and not diet and cut for a guest posing appearance or contest. I will lift hard and add enough muscle mass to be able to stand on the stage next June and win my class.

Since I am not going to be training for a show anytime soon, I'm going to end this journal now and start a new journal when I begin my contest prep for my next show in 2009. This journal was called, "Fourth Year Student: My Senior Year," playing on the idea of this being my fourth year of competing as a senior and student of the sport. My new journal will be called, "Getting My Kicks On Route 66" as I compete in my 66th year.

I will continue to post on this site and add my comments to the dialogue as appropriate.

Thank you for your interest.

Old Navy