Fourth Year Student: My Senior Year

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday, April 2, 2008, Training for the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Showdown, Toronto, June 13-15

Weight: 152.8 (coming down nicely)

Today, training solo, I did four sets of 10 reps for four exercises. The fifth exercise, jump rope, was 100 skips.

Unassisted Pull Ups - hammer, wide, medium and biceps grips
5 x 10 - 50 reps

Hanging Leg Lifts
5 x 10 - 50 reps

Push Ups
5 x 10 - 50 reps

Weighted Machine Crunches
5 x 10 - 50 reps

Skip Rope
5 x 100 - 500 skips

I enjoy circuit work to break up my training routine.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/03/fashion/03Fitness.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

My 10-seconds of FAME. I am quoted in a New York Times story today about senior bodybuilding.

Thursday, April 3, 2008, training for the 2008 FAME World Championships, Toronto, June 14

Weight: 152.4

Hungarian Oak Leg Blast - Final Segment (16 of 16)

I held a 90 pound bar bell, my larger friend held 100 pounds and my very large friend did 110.

Squats
1 x 350 reps - 90 pounds (8:00 without rest). Chris (100 pounds) did 348 and Michael (110 pounds) did 354. Whew!

Extensions
2 x 30 - 90 pounds

Hamstring Curls
3 x 10 - 90 pounds, then, each set to failure (3 x 30)

Donkey Press Calf Extensions 3 x 25
3 x 25 - 175 pounds

Standing Calf Raises 3 x 25
3 x 25 - Body Weight

Adduction
3 x 15 - 295

Abduction
3 x 15 - 250

Abdominal's 4 x 25
2 x 25 Crunches
1 x 25 Leg lifts
1 x 25 Unassisted sit ups

Treadmill
30 minutes

The Hungarian Oak Leg Blast was awesome. We are going to rest this for a week or so and then do it again, with a leg press machine instead of barbells. Should be interesting. We'll start at 2:00 like the Oak.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Friday, April 4, 2008, Training for the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Showdown, Toronto, June 14

Weight: 152.6

My training partner and I celebrated his new Brown Belt in Karate by doing a good shoulders and biceps workout.

Barbell Shrugs
3 x 10 - 185 pounds

Dumb Bell Extensions
3 x 10 - 25 pound dumb bells

Dumb Bell Laterals
3 x 10 - 25 pound dumb bells

Machine Shoulder Presses
3 x 10 - 130 pounds

Dumb Bell Curls
3 x 10 - 35 pound dumb bells

I Go You Go Barbell Curls
3 x 10 - 50 pounds

10 minutes of treadmill.

I have been invited by CBS News to fly to New York City on Sunday to shoot a segment on Monday morning in a local NYC gym and be interviewed about senior fitness for CBS News Sunday Morning, which will air on the CBS TV Network on April 13.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Monday, April 7, 2008, My New York City Adventure

After the New York Times article on senior bodybuilding, which mentions me, appeared last Thursday, I got a call from CBS News in New York and was invited to NYC to do a follow up story for CBS News Sunday Morning, a network program that airs early each Sunday to an audience of about eight million viewers.

CBS News made all of the arrangements and I arrived in NYC on Sunday night and was met at the airport by a car and driver who dropped me off at a hotel in the City for the night. Early this morning I had breakfast with the producer to go over what he wanted to do with me. We then went to Club "H" Fitness on West 55th Street, a few blocks away from CBS and were met by a film crew from 60-Minutes who were going to do the shoot. I changed into my workout gear and went to the gym floor to began working out in front of the cameras. I did pull ups, pushups, crunches, seated rows, dumb bell curls, lats pull downs, hanging leg lifts, Arnold's, dumb bell presses and skip rope. I managed to use good weights in my workout. I did 60 pound dumb bells for the bench press and 35 pound dumb bells for the biceps curls. My rows and lats pull downs were also heavy.

Then, I did a sit down interview with Dr. Emily Senay, M.D., a CBS News health and medical correspondent who asked me several questions about our sport and about my participation in it.

According to the producer, unless it is 'bumped' by a hot news item, my segment will appear this Sunday (April 13) in CBS News Sunday Morning as the lead story.

After the shoot and interview, I was driven back to the airport and caught a direct flight home to Birmingham, in time for dinner.

I will be back in the gym with my training partner tomorrow morning.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Tuesday, April 8, 2008, Nine Weeks Until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 NGA Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 10 Weeks Until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada

Weight: 151.6

Birmingham Steel Legs Blast Furnace- First Segment (1 of 16)

We decided to begin another round of intense Leg work as I prepare for my first contest of the year in 10 weeks. For the next eight weeks, we will do a version of the Hungarian Oak Legs Blast by incorporating the Leg Press instead of Bar Bell Squats. Every thing else in the plan stays the same.

We figure with the weight of the Leg Press sled (about 80 pounds) and the plates, with the angle we are sitting, we are lifting 60% of the total weight we have recorded and will use that calculation to figure our total lifts

Leg Press
1 x 63 reps - 110 pounds (2:00 without rest). On Thursday we will add :20 to the time.

Extensions
2 x 30 - 110 pounds

Hamstring Curls
3 x 10 - 110 pounds, then, each set to failure (3 x 15)

Seated Calf Extensions
3 x 25 - 170 pounds

Standing Calf Raises
3 x 25 - Body Weight

Adduction
3 x 15 - 250

Abduction
3 x 15 - 250

Abdominal's
2 x 25 Crunches
1 x 25 Leg lifts

Treadmill
30 minutes of moderate speed work

Be sure to check your local TV listing and watch Old Navy next Sunday on the CBS News Sunday Morning program. They are featuring me as a senior bodybuilder in an aging and health segment.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday, April 9, 2008, Training for the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, June 13-15, Toronto, Canada

Weight: 150.6

Today my training partner and I did a bodyweight workout.

Unassisted Pull Ups
5 x 10

Push Ups
5 x 10

Hanging Leg Lifts
5 x 10

Floor Crunches
5 x 10

Unassisted Sit Ups
4 x 25

Skip Rope
4 x 100

Tread Mill
20 minutes

Footnote to My Moment of Fame.

In addition to my story in the New York Times on Thursday, my trip to New York City to do a story with CBS News on Monday (which will air in the CBS News Sunday Morning program on April 13), today, the local CBS TV station sent a news team to the Birmingham YMCA to interview me for their 5 PM News Program on Friday, April 11. It has been quite a week.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Thursday, April 10, 2008, Nine Weeks Until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 NGA Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 10 Weeks Until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada

Weight: 149.4

Birmingham Steel Legs Blast Furnace- Second Segment (2 of 16)

We decided to begin another round of intense Leg work as I prepare for my first contest of the year in 10 weeks. For the next eight weeks, we will do a version of the Hungarian Oak Legs Blast by incorporating the Leg Press instead of Bar Bell Squats. Every thing else in the plan stays the same.

We figure with the weight of the Leg Press sled (about 80 pounds) and the plates, with the angle we are sitting, we are lifting 60% of the total weight we have recorded and will use that calculation to figure our total lifts

Leg Press
1 x 75 reps - 110 pounds (2:20 without rest). On Monday we will add :20 to the time.

Extensions
2 x 30 - 110 pounds

Hamstring Curls

Donkey Press Seated Calf Raises
3 x 25 - 200 pounds

Standing Calf Raises
3 x 25 - Body Weight

Adduction
3 x 15 - 250

Abduction
3 x 15 - 250

Abdominal's
2 x 25 Crunches
1 x 25 Leg lifts

Treadmill

Be sure to check your local TV listing and watch Old Navy on Sunday (April 13) on the CBS News Sunday Morning program. They are featuring me as a senior bodybuilder in an aging and health segment.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Friday, April 11, 2008, Nine Weeks Until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 NGA Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 10 Weeks Until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada.

Weight: 149.0 - 9.5 percent body fat with a 7 skin fold, computer-based caliper measurement.

My training partner and I worked a Paramount Rotary Station this morning, a good, fun workout.

Rotary Chest
1 x 8 - 100 pounds
1 x 8 - 115 pounds

Rotary Upper Back
1 x 8 - 100 pounds
1 x 8 - 115 pounds

Rotary Incline Chest
1 x 8 - 85 pounds
1 x 8 - 100 pounds

Rotary Lats
1 x 8 - 130 pounds
1 x 8 - 145 pounds

Rotary Shoulders
1 x 8 - 100 pounds
1 x 8 - 115 pounds

Tread Mill
30 minutes

Please check your local TV listing and watch Old Navy on Sunday (April 13) on the CBS News Sunday Morning program. They are featuring me as a senior bodybuilder in a health and fitness segment.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Monday, April 14, 2008, 8 Weeks Until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 NGA Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 9 Weeks Until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada

Weight: 149.0

Birmingham Steel Legs Blast Furnace- Third Segment (3 of 16)

We decided to begin another round of intense Leg work as I prepare for my first contest of the year in 8 weeks. For the next seven weeks, we will continue a version of the Hungarian Oak Legs Blast by incorporating the Leg Press instead of Bar Bell Squats. Every thing else in the plan stays the same.

Leg Press
1 x 100 reps - 110 pounds (3:00 without rest). On Thursday we will add :20 to the time.

Extensions
2 x 30 - 110 pounds

Hamstring Curls

Seated Calf Raises
3 x 25 - 200 pounds

Standing Calf Raises
3 x 25 - Body Weight

Adduction
3 x 15 - 250

Abduction
3 x 15 - 250

Abdominal's
2 x 25 Crunches
1 x 25 Leg lifts

Treadmill

Please visit my web site: www.BodyBuildingSenior.com and click on the New York Times and CBS News logos to read the texts of the two stories on aging and fitness that featured me. On Sunday evening in the late news, CBS 42, the local TV affiliate in Birmingham, Alabama also did a story on me that you can review at www.CBS.42.com.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Tuesday, April 15, 2008, 8 Weeks Until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 NGA Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 9 Weeks Until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada

Weight: 147.2

We did a dumb bell only workout today, really fun stuff.

Dumb Bell Bench Press
1 x 8 - 60 pound dumb bells
1 x 8 - 65 pound dumb bells
1 x 8 - 75 pound dumb bells
3 x 8 - Dips, chest dominate position

Dumb Bell Incline Bench Press
1 x 8 - 40 pound dumb bells
1 x 8 - 50 pound dumb bells

Dumb Bell Decline Bench Press

Dumb Bell Flat Bench Flies
1 x 8 - 35 pound dumb bells

Dumb Bell Triceps Extensions
1 x 8 - 25 pound dumb bells
1 x 8 - 30 pound dumb bells
3 x 8 - Dips, triceps dominate position

Dumb Bell Triceps Kick Backs
3 x 8 - 15 pound dumb bells
3 x 8 - Dips, triceps dominate position

Tread Mill
30 minutes

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday, April 16, 2008, 8 Weeks Until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 NGA Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 9 Weeks Until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada

Weight: 146.4

We did a non-weight training workout today.

Unassisted Pull Ups
6 x 10 - 60 total

Unassisted Sit Ups
4 x 25 - 100 total

Push Ups
4 x 25 - 100 total

Hanging Leg Lifts
4 x 25 - 100 total

Machine Crunches
4 x 25 - 100 total

460 Reps. Sweet.

30 minutes of tread mill

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Thursday, April 17, 2008, 8 Weeks Until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 NGA Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 9 Weeks Until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada

Weight: 145.6

Birmingham Steel Legs Blast Furnace -Fourth Segment (4 of 16)

We decided to begin another round of intense Leg work as I prepare for my first contest of the year in 8 weeks. For the next seven weeks, we will continue a version of the Hungarian Oak Legs Blast by incorporating the Leg Press instead of Bar Bell Squats. Every thing else in the plan stays the same.

Leg Press
1 x 110 reps - 110 pounds (3:20 without rest). On Monday we will add :20 to the time.

Extensions
2 x 30 - 110 pounds

Hamstring Curls

Donkey Press Machine Seated Calf Raises
3 x 25 - 230 pounds

Standing Calf Raises
3 x 25 - Body Weight

Adduction
3 x 15 - 250

Abduction
3 x 15 - 250

Abdominals
2 x 25 Crunches
1 x 25 Leg lifts

Treadmill

I'm traveling to Cape Cod, Mass tomorrow to judge the 2008 OCB Spirit of America show in Hyannis on Saturday. I competed in this show in 2006 and won my age class and I judged the contest last year.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Friday, Saturday and Sunday, April 18, 19 and 20, Singing and Judging at the 2008 OCB Spirit of America, Mashpee (Cape Cod), Massachusetts.

On Friday morning, I met my training partner at the gym for our 6:30-8 AM workout. We did some shoulders, back, biceps and abdominals training.

After our workout, I drove directly to the Birmingham, Alabama airport for the flight to Atlanta and Providence, Rhode Island. I picked up my Ford Mustang rental for the drive to Cape Cod and Mashpee, where Sean and Deb Sullivan’s OCB Spirit of America Bodybuilding and Figure Super Pro Qualifier competition was to be held the next day.

I competed in this show in 2006 and won my age class. That’s where I met Sean for the first time. We had been keeping a running email connection for several months and I looked forward to finally meeting this excellent bodybuilder, promoter and cop. We became fast friends and even share the same birthday, April 28. Sean will be 43 and I will be 65. He could be my son. He calls me Pops. Ha.

In 2007 Sean invited me to judge the SOA. He invited me back this year and I gladly accepted. Both last year and this year, I was Deb and Sean’s house guest. It’s much better than the host hotel. I can raid the refrigerator and drink all his protein shakes.

I arrived at the Cape Cod Nutrition Corner in Hyannis, where the registration and polygraph testing took place. The store is owned by James Carron, a promoter, pro competitor and great guy. I love his store. It’s better than any GNC I have ever visited and his prices are very good. I spent about $100 on supplements I can’t find in Birmingham. Here is James’ web site: www.capecodnutritian.com.

More than 90 outstanding men and women athletes showed up for registration and drug testing. It was to be a height class contest with several competitors in each class.

We ended the evening’s registration as scheduled at 7 PM and returned to the house for dinner. Early next morning we loaded the trophies and athlete’s goodie bags and drove to the venue at Mashpee High School. The school has a great auditorium with excellent lighting and a very good sound system. The Athlete’s Meeting began at 10 AM and a little after 11, the first competitors walked on to the stage.

From the Teens, Masters, Figure, Fitness and Open class came 96 outstanding competitors. This was an IFPA Bodybuilding and Figure Pro Qualifier and a National Qualifier for Ms. Fitness USA. Everyone brought their “A” game to the stage.

Prejudging lasted until 4:30 and the judges barely had time to take a break, change into Evening Show attire and return to the venue for the 5:30 PM start.

Sean asked me to sing our National Anthem a cappella to start the show and I offered my baritone version to an appreciative audience.

The show ran very well. We were finished by 10 PM and then met at a local Pizzeria for the after party. Several new IFPA Pros showed up to enjoy their post-contest “snack.”

As a former competitor in the Spirit of America and judging for the second year in a row, I have to say Sean and Deb know how to run a competition. Nice work, Guys

After hitting the pillow at midnight, I woke up at 6, left the house at 7 for my 90-minute drive from the Cape to Providence to catch my flight home. I arrived back in Birmingham in the early afternoon and spent the rest of the day working on the story Sean asked me to write about the show for BodyBuildig.com.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Monday, April 21, 2008, 7 Weeks Until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 NGA Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 8 Weeks Until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada

Weight: 148.0 I lost a bit of control over my contest diet this weekend when I flew from Birmingham to Cape Cod to judge a bodybuilding contest. There was no way I could maintain my strict diet during prejudging and the evening show, the after party and traveling to and from the airports. I am on it today and am confident I will quickly get back on track.

Birmingham Steel Legs Blast Furnace-Fifth Segment (5 of 16)

Leg Press (Weight is net, adjusted for the sled and angle of press)
1 x 125 reps - 110 pounds (3:40 without rest). On Thursday we will add :20 to the time.

Extensions
2 x 30 - 110 pounds

Hamstring Curls
3 x 10 - 110 pounds, then, each set to failure (3 x 20)

Seated Calf Raises
3 x 25 - 200 pounds

Standing Calf Raises
3 x 25 - Body Weight

Adduction
3 x 15 - 250

Abduction
3 x 15 - 250

Abdominal's
2 x 25 Crunches
1 x 25 Leg lifts
1 x 50 Unassisted sit ups

Treadmill

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Tuesday, April 22, 2008, 7 Weeks Until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 NGA Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 8 Weeks Until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada

Weight: 146.6 pounds-back on track with my contest prep diet.

Today my training partner and I started a new Body Comp workout plan that will take me to my contest in eight weeks. It's designed for upper and lower body work in each session, lifting heavy weights with little rest between sets.

We did dead lifts, lunges, lats pull downs, seated rows, dumb bell curls, incline dumb bell bench press and a few other fun exercises. We finished with 20 minutes of cardio and left the gym floor feeling pretty well drained.

I have added boxing (gloves against pads) to my Personal Training regimen for my clients at the YMCA. My clients love the change. Some of them have never strapped on a pair of boxing gloves. Boxing is a great aerobic exercise.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 7 Weeks Until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 NGA Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 8 Weeks Until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada

Weight: 145.2 pounds-back on track with my contest prep diet.

Today we did a non-weight training body weight workout. We completed 500 reps in one hour.

Unassisted Pull Ups
10 x 10 - 100 reps

Unassisted Sit Ups
4 x 25 - 100 reps

Hanging Leg Lifts
5 x 20 - 100 reps

Push Ups
10 x 10 - 100 reps

Dips
10 x 10 - 100 reps

25 minutes of tread mill in the morning and another 35 minutes in the afternoon.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Thursday, April 24, 2008, 7 Weeks Until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 NGA Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 8 Weeks Until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada

Weight: 144.2

Birmingham Steel Legs Blast Furnace-Sixth Segment (6 of 16)

1 x 130 reps - 110 pounds (4.00 without rest). On Monday we will add :28 to the time and go 4:28, to celebrate my 65th birthday on April 28.

Extensions
2 x 30 - 110 pounds

Hamstring Curls

3 x 25 - 230 pounds

Standing Calf Raises
3 x 25 - Body Weight

Adduction
3 x 15 - 250

Abduction
3 x 15 - 250

Abdominal's
2 x 25 Crunches
1 x 25 Leg lifts

Treadmill

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Friday, April 25, 2008, 7 Weeks Until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 NGA Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 8 Weeks Until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada

Weight: 144.4 Body Fat 9.0

Today we did several sets of shoulders and biceps, doing 8 reps per set and lifting as heavy as we could for each set.

We also did 30 minutes of tread mill and rowing.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Monday, April 28, 2008, 6 Weeks Until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 NGA Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 7 Weeks Until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada

Weight: 146.0

Birmingham Steel Legs Blast Furnace-Seventh Segment (7 of 16)

1 x 165 reps - 110 pounds (4:28 without rest). On Thursday we will add time and go 4:40.

Today is my 65th Birthday. For the past 15 years, I have had a goal to be in the best shape of my life on my Birthday. Today, I have once again achieved that goal. For the Legs Blast, I did 4:28 without rest and completed 165 reps to celebrate being 65 on 4/28.

Extensions
2 x 30 - 110 pounds

Hamstring Curls

Seated Calf Raises
3 x 25 - 210 pounds

Standing Calf Raises
3 x 25 - Body Weight

Adduction
3 x 15 - 250

Abduction
3 x 15 - 250

Abdominal's
2 x 25 Crunches
1 x 25 Leg lifts

Treadmill

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Tuesday, April 29, 2008, 6 Weeks Until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 N.G.A. Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 7 Weeks Until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada

Weight: 146.8

I'm still carrying a little extra weight from two days of carbohydrate loading to test the current cutting diet I'm on.

Chest and Triceps Workout

Incline Bench Press
1 x 8 - 115 pounds
1 x 8 - 125 pounds

Decline Bench Press
1 x 8 - 135 pounds
1 x 8 - 155 pounds

Flat Bench Press
1 x 8 - 155 pounds
1 x 8 - 185 pounds

Flat Bench Dumb Bell Flies

Decline Triceps Extensions (Skull Crushers)
2 x 8 - 60 pound bar bell

Triceps Cable Push Downs
2 x 8 - 60 pounds

Tread Mill
30 minutes

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday, April 30, 2008, 6 Weeks Until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 N.G.A. Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 7 Weeks Until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada

Weight: 144.5

Today my training partner and I did a non-weight training slowmo (slow motion) day. Each rep of every exercise had a 5 second up and 5 second down pace. Fun stuff. Brutal.

Slowmo Pull Ups
3 x 10

Slomo Push Ups
3 x 10

Slomo Hanging Leg Raises
3 x 10

Slomo Slant Board Crunches
3 x 10

Skip Rope
3 x 100 regular speed skips

Tread Mill
30 minutes of moderate speed

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Thursday, May 1, 2008, 6 Weeks Until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 N.G.A. Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 7 Weeks Until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada.

Weight: 147.0

Birmingham Steel Legs Blast Furnace-Eights Segment (8 of 16)

1 x 150 reps - 110 pounds (4:28 without rest). On Monday we will add :20 and go 5:00.

Extensions
2 x 30 - 110 pounds

Hamstring Curls

3 x 25 - 250 pounds

Standing Calf Raises
3 x 25 - Body Weight

Adduction
3 x 15 - 250

Abduction
3 x 15 - 250

Abdominal's
2 x 25 Crunches
1 x 25 Leg lifts

Treadmill

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Friday, May 2, 2008, 6 Weeks Until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 N.G.A. Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 7 Weeks Until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada.

Weight: 146.2

Today my training partner and I worked back and lats:

Cable Lats Pull Downs
1 x 8 - 100 pounds
1 x 8 - 110 pounds
1 x 8 - 120 pounds

Dumb Bell Bench Lat Pulls
1 x 8 - 50 pounds each arm
1 x 8 - 60 pounds each arm
1 x 8 - 65 pounds each arm

Dumb Bell Bench Pull Overs
3 x 8 - 60 pounds

Tread Mill
30 minutes of moderate speed

Hot Tub
20 minutes of soaking and BSing. It's Friday. Yea!

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Monday, May 5, 2008, 5 Weeks Until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 N.G.A. Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 6 Weeks Until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada.

Weight: 146.6 (After a Re-Feed Day)

Birmingham Steel Legs Blast Furnace-Eights Segment (9 of 16)

1 x 190 reps - 110 pounds (5.00 without rest).
On Monday we will add :20 and go 5:20.

Extensions
2 x 30 - 110 pounds

Hamstring Curls

Seated Calf Raises
3 x 25 - 225 pounds

Standing Calf Raises
3 x 25 - Body Weight

Adduction
3 x 15 - 250

Abduction
3 x 15 - 250

Abdominal's
2 x 25 Crunches
2 x 25 Kneeling Rope Pull Downs

Treadmill

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Tuesday, May 6, 2008, 5 Weeks Until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 N.G.A. Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 6 Weeks Until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada.

Weight: 146.2

Chest and Triceps

Hammer Strength Equipment

Iso Lateral Bench Press
1 x 8 - 90 pounds
1 x 8 - 110 pounds
1 x 8 - 120 pounds

Iso Lateral Super Incline Press
1 x 8 - 110 pounds
1 x 8 - 140 pounds
1 x 8 - 150 pounds

Iso Lateral Wide Chess Press
1 x 8 - 200 pounds
1 x 8 - 220 pounds
1 x 8 - 230 pounds

Peck Deck
1 x 8 - 145 pounds
1 x 8 - 160 pounds
1 x 8 - 175 pounds

Triceps Cable Push Downs
1 x 8 - 65 pounds
1 x 8 - 70 pounds
1 x 8 - 75 pounds

Cardio
Tread Mill - 20 minutes of moderate speed, no elevation

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday, May 7, 2008, 5 Weeks Until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 N.G.A. Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 6 Weeks Until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada.

Weight: 146.0

Today my training partner, Michael Jackson, Brown Belt Karate Man, and I did a bodyweight workout:

Unassisted Pull Ups
10 x 10 - hammer, medium, wide and biceps grips

Push Ups
4 x 25

Crunches
4 x 25

300 Reps. Fun Stuff.

30 Minutes of tread mill

Hot Tub - 20 Minutes - Soothing Stuff

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Friday, May 9, 2008, 4 Weeks Until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 N.G.A. Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 5 Weeks Until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada.

Weight: 145.4 - 8.2% body fat (down from 9.3% on 4/28)

I have a cold. I caught it at the Y for sure. Lots of sick people working out and as much as I tried to stay sanitary, I got hit. I took yesterday off from training, but not work. I did a light workout today and also went to work as a Personal Trainer at the Y. I had no choice. If I don't train clients, I don't get paid. I told all of my clients I was "sick" and we kept our distance and still got the job done.

My training partner and I did light shoulders and biceps this morning. I will be back on my rigorous training schedule on Monday.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Monday, May 12, 2008, 4 Weeks Until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 N.G.A. Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 5 Weeks Until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada.

Weight: 144.4 pounds

Birmingham Steel Legs Blast Furnace-Eleventh Segment (11 of 16)

1 x 200 reps - 110 pounds net (5:40 without rest).
On Thursday we will add :20 and go 6:00.

Extensions
2 x 30 - 110 pounds

Hamstring Curls

3 x 25 - 230 pounds

Standing Calf Raises
3 x 25 - Body Weight

Adduction
3 x 15 - 300

Abduction
3 x 15 - 250

Abdominals
2 x 25 Crunches

Treadmill

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Tuesday, May 14, 2008, 4 Weeks Until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 N.G.A. Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 5 Weeks Until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada.

Weight: 145.2 pounds - After a Re-feed day

Flat Bench Dumb Bell Press/Flies
1 x 8 - 35 pound dumb bells - Flies

Incline Dumb Bell Press/Flies
1 x 8 - 55 pound dumb bells
1 x 8 - 40 pound dumb bells - Flies

Decline Dumb Bell Press/Flies
1 x 8 - 45 pound dumb bells - Flies

Overhead Cable Triceps Rope Pull Down
3 x 8 - 50 pounds

Reverse Grip Single Cable Triceps Pull Down
3 x 8 - 25 pounds

Barbell Skull Crushers Decline Triceps Press
3 x 8 - 60 pound bar bell

Tread Mill
30 minutes - moderate speed. 30 minutes - moderate speed in the PM.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday, May 15, 2008, 4 Weeks Until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 N.G.A. Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 5 Weeks Until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada.

Weight: 143.6 pounds

Non-Weight Training Workout - Bodyweight Session

Hanging Leg Lifts
10 x 10

Push Ups
4 x 25

Crunches
4 x 25

Pull Ups
5 x 10

Treadmill
30 minutes at 4.0 speed and 4.0 elevation

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Thursday, May 15 and Friday, May 16, 2008, 3 Weeks Until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 N.G.A. Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 4 Weeks Until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada.

Weight: 144.4 pounds

Thursday - Birmingham Steel Legs Blast Furnace-Tenth Segment (10 of 16)

1 x 225 reps - 110 pounds net (6:00 without rest).
On Monday we will add :20 and go 6:20.

Extensions
2 x 30 - 110 pounds

Hamstring Curls

Seated Machine Calf Raises
3 x 25 - 230 pounds

Standing Calf Raises
3 x 25 - Body Weight

Adduction
3 x 15 - 290

Abduction
3 x 15 - 250

Abdominals
2 x 25 Crunches

Treadmill

Today (Friday) we had a good shoulders and biceps workout. I added cardio sessions throughout the day at my YMCA job.

As I enter my last month of contest prep I am feeling very good about my chances to do well at the FAME Worlds. I am ahead of schedule for cutting and hardening. I am confident that I will bring my best package ever to the stage in Toronto on June 14th.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Monday, May 19, 2008, 3 Weeks until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 N.G.A. Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 4 Weeks until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada.

Weight: 145.6 pounds

Birmingham Steel Legs Blast Furnace-Eleventh Segment (11 of 16)

1 x 240 reps - 110 pounds net (6:20 without rest).
On Thursday we will add :20 and go 6:40.

Extensions
2 x 30 - 110 pounds

Hamstring Curls

3 x 25 - 230 pounds

Standing Calf Raises
3 x 25 - Body Weight

Adduction
3 x 15 - 300

Abduction
3 x 15 - 250

Abdominal's
4 x 25 Elevated Feet Crunches

Treadmill
30 minutes of moderate speed, moderate elevation work including three speed splits of HITT. I did another 30 minutes later in the day. I am shooting for 60 minutes a day for the remainder of my contest prep.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Tuesday, May 20, 2008, 3 Weeks until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 N.G.A. Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 4 Weeks until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada.

Weight: 145.6 pounds - No Change From Yesterday. Over the weekend, my nutrition coach, Eric Brugh, the 2007 NABBA Masters and Overall National Champion (I love to promote this fine Warrior), had me do a high carb load/cheat day on Saturday to see how my body would react. It reacted by adding four pounds of bodyweight. I had some photos taken Sunday night, which I sent to Eric. He was happy with the results of our "test." Me, too. I have since lost two of those added pounds and have two to go to get back to Friday's weight.

Barbell Bench Press
1 x 8 - 135 pounds
1 x 8 - 155 pounds
1 x 8 - 185 pounds

Machine Incline Rotary Press
1 x 8 - 100 pounds
1 x 8 - 120 pounds
1 x 8 - 140 pounds

Machine Decline Press
1 x 8 - 100 pounds
1 x 8 - 120 pounds
1 x 8 - 140 pounds

Flat Bench Triceps Dumb Bell Extensions
1 x 8 - 20 pound dumb bells

Cable Triceps Push Downs
1 x 8 - 100 pounds
1 x 8 - 120 pounds
1 x 8 - 140 pounds

Tread Mill
1 x 30 minutes AM
1 x 30 minutes PM

I'm feeling strong in spite of my contest prep. I am pumped and ready to get going. Four more weeks until the FAME Worlds.
I am judging the 2008 NGA Magic City Bodybuilding and Figure Championships in Hoover, Alabama (Birmingham) on Saturday. I am also practicing my posing for my Guest Poser appearance at the 2008 NGA Carolina Night of Champions in Greensboro, NC on June 7th. I will be judging at that contest, too.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday, May 21, 2008, 3 Weeks until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 N.G.A. Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 4 Weeks until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada.

Weight: 144.6 pounds

Body Weight Workout

Pull Ups
5 x 10 - 50 reps

Push Ups
10 x 10 - 100 reps

Crunches
4 x 25 - 100 reps

Tread Mill
1 x 30 minutes AM
1 x 30 minutes PM

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Old Navy on the 2008 FAME World Championships Poster

Thursday, May 22, 2008, 3 Weeks until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 N.G.A. Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 4 Weeks until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada.

Weight: 145.4 pounds

Birmingham Steel Legs Blast Furnace-Twelfth Segment (12 of 16)

1 x 250 reps - 110 pounds net (6:40 without rest).
On Monday we will add :20 and go 7:00.

Extensions
2 x 30 - 110 pounds

Hamstring Curls

Machine Seated Calf Raises
3 x 25 - 200 pounds

Standing Calf Raises
3 x 25 - Body Weight

Adduction
3 x 15 - 250

Abduction
3 x 15 - 250

Abdominal's

Treadmill
30 minutes of moderate speed AM
30 minutes of moderate speed PM

I was interviewed by CBS News Radio in Los Angeles via phone today to talk about Harrison Ford's new movie and how realistic it is for a 62 year-old actor to play a "action hero." They wanted to relate my bodybuilding career to Ford's role as Indiana Jones and asked me several questions about weight training, diet and competitions as a senior athlete. The live radio interview lasted about five minutes.

Attachments

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Friday & Saturday, May 23 and 24, 2008, The 2008 NGA Magic City Bodybuilding and Figure Championships, Hoover (Birmingham), Alabama

A full house greeted the men and women athletes at the Hoover High School Auditorium in Birmingham, Alabama on Saturday for the first-ever natural bodybuilding and figure competition held in this city. Hoover High School is famous for the MTV series "Two-A-Days," which was shot on location at the school.

On Friday evening, the athletes checked in at the Better Fitness Nutrition Center in Pelham, a store owned by the show's promoter, Jason Thornton. The athlete's that needed it were weighed to determine their class and everyone took a urinalysis test to determine their seven-year drug-free status. The NGA requires a seven-year period from use of illegal muscle enhancing drugs.

On Saturday, Laura Tourtellot, affectionately known in the body-building world as "Turtle," started Prejudging at 11:15 AM with the Teen Class. This was followed by Men's Novice, Men's Masters, Women's Figure and the Open Men's classes. Laura kept things moving and we were finished with the morning session by 1 PM.

The Athletes returned to the Hoover Auditorium for a 4:30 meeting and then prepared for the 6:15 PM start of the Evening Show. NGA Master Pro, Scott "Old Navy" Hults kicked off the proceedings with an a capella singing of our National Anthem. He also judged the show, along with Guest Poser, NGA Pro Figure Nicole Weeks. All of the competitors brought their best to the stage in hopes of winning a coveted NGA Pro Card. Two athletes won their card that night: Eddy Smith, the Open Men's Middleweight Champion and Adrianne Egan, the Women's Figure Champion. Best Poser went to Lightweight Champion, Kennett Washington, who traveled from South Carolina for the show.

Feedback from several competitors and from the audience was very positive. The enthusiastic crowd enjoyed the friendly atmosphere and obvious camaraderie of a drug-free competition and to a person, the athletes vowed to return next year to have a go at the 2009 NGA Magic City Bodybuilding and Figure Championship, which promises to be a much bigger event.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Monday, May 26, 2008, 2 Weeks until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 N.G.A. Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 3 Weeks until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada.

Weight: 142.8 pounds

My training partner and I skipped the Legs Blast workout we usually complete on Mondays and instead did a regular workout.

Dead Lifts
1 x 8 - 185 pounds
1 x 8 - 195 pounds
1 x 8 - 215 pounds

Machine Leg Extensions
1 x 8 - 100 pounds
1 x 8 - 140 pounds
1 x 8 - 175 pounds

Hamstring Curls
1 x 8 - 100 pounds
1 x 8 - 110 pounds
1 x 8 - 120 pounds

Machine Calf Raises
3 x 25 - 200 pounds

Tread Mill
20 minutes

We started at 7 AM and finished by 8:15 AM. We trained at my YMCA and then I had three clients to train before the Y closed early for Memorial Day. My wife and I went to the movies at 1 PM and saw the new Indiana Jones film. Fun. Back to regular training tomorrow.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Tuesday, May 27, 2008, 2 Weeks until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 N.G.A. Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 3 Weeks until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada.

Weight: 142.2 pounds

Today my training partner and I worked in the weight room with dumb bells for chest and did some machine triceps exercises.

Flat Bench Dumb Bell Press
1 x 8 - 70 pound dumb bells

Incline Bench Dumb Bell Press

Decline Bench Dumb Bell Press

Dumb Bell Fly's
1 x 8 - 40 pound dumb bells - Flat Bench
1 x 8 - 40 pound dumb bells - Incline Bench
1 x 8 - 50 pound dumb bells - Decline Bench

Triceps Rope Pull Downs
1 x 8 - 70 pounds
1 x 8 - 75 pounds
1 x 8 - 90 pounds

Triceps Push Downs
1 x 8 - 80 pounds
1 x 8 - 90 pounds
1 x 8 - 100 pounds

Tread Mill
1 x 30 minutes AM
1 x 30 minutes PM

I'm looking forward to the start of my contest season in just a few short weeks. I believe I will hit the stage on June 14th in Toronto in the best shape of my life. This has been a good contest prep for me. I will only lose if someone better comes along and not because I wasn't 100 percent prepared.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday, May 28, 2008, 2 Weeks until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 N.G.A. Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 3 Weeks until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada.

Weight: 142.0 pounds

Today my training partner and I had a bodyweight training session.

Unassisted Pull Ups
10 x 10 - 100 reps - hammer, narrow, wide and biceps grip.

Hanging Leg Lifts
4 x 25 - 100 reps

Push Ups
4 x 25 - 100 reps

Bensen Ball Crunches (the little crunch ball sold on TV)
4 x 25 - 100 reps

Skip Rope
100 reps

Tread Mill
30 minutes AM
30 minutes PM

500 reps without touching a weight. Nice.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Thursday, May 29, 2008, 2 Weeks until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 N.G.A. Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 3 Weeks until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada.

Weight: 142.0 pounds - 7.2% body fat

Birmingham Steel Legs Blast Furnace-Sixteenth Segment (16 of 16)

We completed this excellent Legs program and will do this program again later in the year. Good Results!

1 x 340 reps - 110 pounds net (8.00 without rest). My 6 foot, 6 inches tall, 255 pounds training partner did 351 reps with 120 pounds..
Extensions
2 x 30 - 110 pounds

Hamstring Curls

Machine Seated Calf Raises
3 x 25 - 200 pounds

Standing Calf Raises
3 x 25 - Body Weight

Adduction
3 x 15 - 250

Abduction
3 x 15 - 250

Abdominals

Treadmill
30 minutes of moderate speed AM
30 minutes of moderate speed PM

With my guest posing appearance in one week and my first contest of the year in two weeks, this is the last heavy legs workout I'll do until June 16th. Then, I have two more weeks before my next show on June 28, so I will only do one week of heavy legs.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Friday, May 30, 2008, One Week until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 N.G.A. Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and Two Weeks until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada.

Weight: 142.0 pounds - 7.2% body fat

Today my training partner and I had a good shoulders, back and biceps workout. We did two hard, three-sets of eight reps exercises, including machine shoulder press, machine press downs, seated rows, standing rows, shoulder rotation and biceps curls. We then worked on my training partner's form routine for his Senior Brown Belt test tomorrow in Karate and shot some one week out photos of me in the locker room.

I'm very close to being contest ready.

Attachments

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Monday, June 2, 2008, One Week until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 N.G.A. Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and Two Weeks until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada.

Weight: 142.2 pounds

Today my training partner and I did a lower body workout. Actually, he did a lower body workout and I acted as his personal trainer. Since I am one week out from my guest posing appearance and two weeks out from my pro show, I am not doing any heavy legs. I am mostly flexing my quads and doing very light leg extensions and calf raises.

Michael's Workout

Squats
1 x 8 - 185 pounds
1 x 8 - 205 pounds
1 x 8 - 225 pounds

Extensions
1 x 8 - 100 pounds
1 x 8 - 120 pounds
1 x 8 - 140 pounds

Ham Curls
1 x 8 - 100 pounds
1 x 8 - 120 pounds
1 x 8 - 130 pounds

Calf Raises
3 x 25 - 200 pounds

Tread Mill
20 minutes

I enjoyed watching my training partner workout this morning. I will join him tomorrow for upper body. LOL

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Tuesday, June 3, 2008, Four Days until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 N.G.A. Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 11 Days until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada.

Today my training partner and I did a Upper Body Composition workout.

Incline Dumb Bell Flies
1 x 8 - 30 pounds
1 x 8 - 35 pounds

Machine Chest Press
1 x 8 - 150 pounds
1 x 8 - 170 pounds

Arnold's

Cable Shoulder Raise
1 x 8 - 100 pounds
1 x 8 - 120 pounds

Biceps Hammers to Curls

Biceps Work the Rack
1 x 10 - 25 pound dumb bells
1 x 10 - 20 pound dumb bells
1 x 10 - 15 pound dumb bells
1 x 10 - 10 pound dumb bells
(Each Arm - No rest between sets)

Tread Mill
30 minutes AM
30 minutes PM

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday, June 4, 2008, three days until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 N.G.A. Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 10 days until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada.

Today my training partner and I had a bodyweight training session.

Unassisted Pull Ups
10 x 10 - 100 reps - hammer, narrow, wide and biceps grip.

Dips
10 x 10

Hanging Leg Lifts
4 x 25 - 100 reps

Push Ups
4 x 25 - 100 reps

Crunches
4 x 25 - 100 reps

Tread Mill
30 minutes AM
30 minutes PM

I had my first professional spray tan applied for my Guest Posing appearance this weekend. I'll have a second coat applied tonight and my final spray applied on Thursday night. I should be dark enough to not need a coat of Dream Tan II for the show.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Thursday, June 5, 2008, two days until My Guest Poser Appearance at the 2008 N.G.A. Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC and 9 days until the 2008 FAME World Championships and Pro Show Down, Toronto, Canada.

Weight: 141.0 pounds - 7% Body Fat (131 pounds of lean mass and 10 pounds of fat)

Today I trained my training partner. He did a good barbell chest workout. No training for cardio for me today or tomorrow as I travel to Greensboro, NC from Birmingham, AL to judge and Guest Pose at the 2008 NGA Carolina Night of Champions Bodybuilding and Figure Championships. After the show, I will not 'celebrate' in the usual way, but instead get right back on to my contest prep for the 2008 FAME World Championships in one week.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Friday, June 6, 2008 - NGA Carolina Night of Champions, Greensboro, NC

I left Birmingham, Alabama at 7 AM this morning and after a stop in Atlanta, arrived in Greensboro, North Carolina at noon. The show's promoter, Marty Lotito, NGA Chairman for North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee, met me at the airport and drove me to our host hotel, the Marriott in town. The 2008 NGA Carolina Night of Champions is the first-ever drug free bodybuilding show in the state. Marty and his co-promoter, John Dabbs have done a great job with the set up. At check in, the athletes receive a cool "goodie bag" with a t-shirt, hat, shaker bottle, and a good supply of supplements. Nice. For a new show, they got some good sponsors, including GNC, Family Fitness and Scivation. All of the athletes take a polygraph to attest to being drug-free for seven years. The venue is the old Carolina Theatre an art deco landmark in the city. There is also a free-post party at a local club, Natty Greens, a few blocks away. I am looking forward to judging at this show and guest posing tomorrow evening.

My training partner, Michael Jackson, received his Senior Brown Belt in Karate last evening. Congratulations, Warrior. Now, go get your red and then your black belt.

I'm one week out from my next Pro Show, the 2008 FAME World Championships in Toronto. I will be ready to Rock and Roll on June 14th.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Monday, June 9, 2008, Five Days Until the 2008 FAME Grand Master Pro World Championships, Toronto, Canada

Weight: 142.0

I'm really pumped about my show this Saturday. Over the weekend I judged and guest posed at the 2008 N.G.A. Carolina Night of Champions in Greensboro, NC. I had a great time at the show and while judging the competitors on stage, I thought about my own contest next Saturday. I will be competing against Master Pros who are 55 years-of-age and older. At 65, I will be giving up 10 years to the young athletes I'm competing against, but I will be ready to take them on.

Today, my training partner and I worked our chest and triceps.

Flat Bench Dumb Bell Press

Incline Bench Dumb Bell Press
1 x 8 - 45 pound dumb bells

Decline Dumb Bell Press Machine
1 x 8 - 160 pounds
1 x 8 - 180 pounds
1 x 8 - 200 pounds

Cable Cross Flies
1 x 8 - 60 pounds
1 x 8 - 70 pounds
1 x 8 - 80 pounds

Triceps Press Downs
1 x 8 - 50 pounds
1 x 8 - 60 pounds
1 x 8 - 70 pounds

Decline Bench Triceps Extensions
1 x 8 - 20 pound dumb bells
2 x 8 - 25 pound dumb bells

Slant Board Crunches
3 x 25

Tread Mill
30 minutes

I am zoned in and am in my game face contest prep mode. It's time to get it on.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Tuesday, June 10, 2008, four days until the 2008 FAME World Grand Master Pro Championships, Toronto, Canada.

Weight: 140.0 pounds

Body Weight Workout

Hanging Leg Lifts
10 x 10 - 100 reps

Pull Ups
10 x 10 - 100 reps

Push Ups
10 x 10 - 100 reps

Ball Crunches
10 x 10 - 100 reps

Skip Rope
10 x 20 - 200 skips

Total - 600 reps of body weight exercises.

Tread Mill
1 x 30 minutes

I'm feeling great. I look hard, lean and vascular. I'm pumped!

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday, June 11, 2008, three days until the 2008 FAME World Grand Master Pro Championships, Toronto, Canada.

Weight: 139.0 Pounds. 6.4% Body Fat

This is my last day of training before my contest this weekend. My training partner and I worked back, biceps and shoulders.

Seated Cable Rows
1 x 8 - 115 pounds
1 x 8 - 130 pounds
1 x 8 - 145 pounds

Lats Pull Downs
1 x 12 - 100 pounds
2 x 12 - 115 pounds

Dumb Bell Shrugs
4 x 32 - 50 pound dumb bells (four count for each rep: front, side, back, side)

Dumb Bell Hammer to Curls Biceps
3 x 8 - 25 pound dumb bells

Back Against the Wall Bar Bell Curls
1 x 8 - 40 pound bar bell
2 x 8 - 50 pound bar bell

Tread Mill
30 minutes of moderate speed and moderate elevation.

I am ready to Rock and Roll.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Thursday, June 12, 2008, two days until the 2008 FAME World Grand Master Pro Championships, Toronto, Canada.

Weight: 139.6 Pounds. 6.4% Body Fat

Today I trained my training partner and put him through a tough full-body comp workout.

I am carbing up for my show and am enjoying the food after a few days of carb depletion. I hope to come in hard, lean, full and in the best shape of my life for this show. Competing in the Grand Master Pro 55+ Class, I am giving up 10 years-of-age to the other Master Pros in the competition. I have to be at the top of my game and I am. I will leave for Toronto at 6 AM tomorrow and will compete at 7 PM Friday evening in a Fittest Couple competition as a warm up. My contest begins at 2:30 PM on Saturday and I will probably be on stage around 4 PM. The third finger of my right hand is empty. I hope to fill that finger with a FAME World Champion ring on Saturday.

Old Navy