Fish Oil vs. Flaxseed Oil?

GreenSquats

GreenSquats

Awards
  • Established
My guess would be that they all have different oils in them, however 4 of the gels look really similar, and then the others are all different.

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established
There we go. Yes, that was my concern. Even in the Omega writeup, the writer states his regimen during his professional years was to split his EFA doses through his meals, and I believe this is the common dosing. Now, you say you've used Animal Omega before? Are all of the pills in a pack a mixture of the same oil, or does it appear they are all different (as in the Animal Pak vitamins)?
You mean the article by Ox? He takes two packs of Animal Omega per day--but most of us take a single pack daily. I take one pack.

Some feedback on AO:
Animal Omega: Official Feedback Thread - the F O R V M

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I hate eczema. I feel your pain bro, I have it too.
Ugh.. I currently have it almost everywhere! I just got married a few weeks ago and pre-wedding stress flared up my eczema big time! Because of it i've had a lot of problems sleeping. It's been driving me insane feeling bipolar cause it effects my mood. Itchy+poor sleep= very irritable. I'm gradually getting better this week as the stress is coming back down and my workouts have been really good. Also I've eliminated any type of food that may be making it worse. No dairy, wheat, nuts, etc.. It's tough going without milk but it's even harder living with eczema! I got some pea protein left over and drinking hemp milk! haha.. it's actually really good! Take care man!

GreenSquats

GreenSquats

Awards
  • Established
Ugh.. I currently have it almost everywhere! I just got married a few weeks ago and pre-wedding stress flared up my eczema big time! Because of it i've had a lot of problems sleeping. It's been driving me insane feeling bipolar cause it effects my mood. Itchy+poor sleep= very irritable. I'm gradually getting better this week as the stress is coming back down and my workouts have been really good. Also I've eliminated any type of food that may be making it worse. No dairy, wheat, nuts, etc.. It's tough going without milk but it's even harder living with eczema! I got some pea protein left over and drinking hemp milk! haha.. it's actually really good! Take care man!
When I was broke out really bad, the doctor identified soy as the problem. I try to avoid soy now, you might want to look into that.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
When I was broke out really bad, the doctor identified soy as the problem. I try to avoid soy now, you might want to look into that.
Just avoid soy in general :)

Lots of good points have been covered, not much else to add. I say go with fish oil, and for flaxseeds grind them up and put them in porridge, granola, cereal etc.

As for pricing, somebody mentioned 90 softgels for $9, NP has 1000 for $27, which is quite a good deal. It is molecularly distilled, and I can look into the origin for you guys.

I typically don`t worry too much about the amount per cap because I can just take a few extra caps and the few extra calories won`t hurt. Sure there`s extra-concentrated fish oil, but it tends to drive the price up. I sometimes like to supplement with cod-liver oil to get more DHA than EPA (I find this improves my mood during the winter), but NP`s bulk fish oil caps are good enough for me and my family & friends. Ive ordered over 7000 so far, and probably many more to come!

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I generally don't have anything with soy unless it's in a small amount as "other ingredients' in something but I went to the doc a while back to get tested for a bunch of things including environmental allergens and food allergens. Unfortunately I lost my health insurance and I never got it done. I still have the lab work sheet though and plan on doing it when I get insurance again..

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Just discovererd something that may be more benificial then fish oil. Chia seed! chi chi chi chia!!! hehhehe claims are 8x amount of omega-3 then found in salmon. Found this stuff salba too but have to do more research on it to see whether it's chia or salba is the plant. Check it out! gotta run..

www.salba.com

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I did not know the planet had chia! thanks! :goodpost:

GreenSquats

GreenSquats

Awards
  • Established
Wonder if I could stack Chia Pro with Animal Omega... :bb:

Fabulous One

Awards
  • Established
from what I have been reading huge doses of these healthy omegas may not be exactly what we need. We need just enough. Here is what I was reading:

How Essential Are the Essential Fatty Acids?

The PUFA Report Part 1: A Critical Review of the Requirement for Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids

By Chris Masterjohn. Cholesterol-And-Health.Com Special Reports Volume 1 Issue 2. 25 pages, 3 figures, 114 references. $15.00

Abstract

Current reviews and textbooks call the omega-6 linoleic acid and the omega-3 alpha-linolenic acid "essential fatty acids" (EFA) and cite the EFA requirement as one to four percent of calories. Research suggests, however, that the omega-6 arachidonic acid (AA) and the omega-3 docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) are the only fatty acids that are truly essential. Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) occurs in fish products but is probably not a normal constituent of the mammalian body and in excess it interferes with essential AA metabolism. The EFA requirement cited in the scientific literature is inflated by several factors: the use of diets composed mostly of sucrose, glucose, or corn syrup; the use of diets deficient in vitamin B6; the use of purified fatty acids instead of whole foods; the use of questionable biochemical markers rather than verifiable symptoms as an index for EFA deficiency; and the generalization from studies using young, growing animals to adults. The true requirement for EFA during growth and development is less than 0.5 percent of calories when supplied by most animal fats and less than 0.12 percent of calories when supplied by liver. On diets low in heated vegetable oils and sugar and rich in essential minerals, biotin, and vitamin B6, the requirement is likely to be much lower than this. Adults recovering from injury, suffering from degenerative diseases involving oxidative stress, or seeking to build muscle mass mass may have a similar requirement. For women who are seeking to conceive, pregnant, or lactating, the EFA requirement may be as high as one percent of calories. In other healthy adults, however, the requirement is infinitesimal if it exists at all. The best sources of EFAs are liver, butter, and egg yolks, especially from animals raised on pasture. During pregnancy, lactation, and childhood, small amounts of cod liver oil may be useful to provide extra DHA, but otherwise this supplement should be used only when needed to obtain fat-soluble vitamins. Vegetarians or others who eat a diet low in animal fat should consider symptoms such as scaly skin, hair loss or infertility to be signs of EFA deficiency and add B6 or animal fats to their diets. An excess of linoleate from vegetable oil will interfere with the production of DHA while an excess of EPA from fish oil will interfere with the production and utilization of AA. EFA are polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) that contribute to oxidative stress. Vitamin E and other antioxidant nutrients cannot fully protect against oxidative stress induced by dietary PUFA. Therefore, the consumption of EFA should be kept as close to the minimum requirement as is practical while still maintaining an appetizing and nutritious diet.

Islandgirl010

Awards
Which do you guys use and which would you recommend. This is has been a long debate and I'd like to see it answered AM style. Thanks, your answers are greatly appreciated. :D
Definately fish oil, flax has to be coverted by the body and the percentage isn't as good.

:)