Fish Oil vs. Flaxseed Oil?

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established
Be weary Flax seed oil can easily turn toxic.

If you did choose Flax, I would go with the seeds or meal.
Any natural product can spoil, including fish oil. That said, it's a solid reminder, A. We need to treat these important oils like fruits and veggies to keep 'em as fresh as possible. When I used to buy flaxseed oil, I'd buy the liquid out of a refrigerated case, check that manufacture date on the bottom and put it right in the fridge when I got it home.

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established
I would partially agree. In order for the CLA to be effective, you need a nice dose depending on bodyweight (6-10g for around a 200lb indvidual), which can get expensive .
"Effective" at doing what? What's the therapeutic dose you're referring to and what are the implied benefits?

Ares

Ares

Banned
Awards
Any natural product can spoil, including fish oil. That said, it's a solid reminder, A. We need to treat these important oils like fruits and veggies to keep 'em as fresh as possible. When I used to buy flaxseed oil, I'd buy the liquid out of a refrigerated case, check that manufacture date on the bottom and put it right in the fridge when I got it home.
I agree however, fish oil doesn't become toxic. Toxic is the keyword, and the increased estrogenic effects from Flax, keeps it off of my lists of supplements.

GreenSquats

GreenSquats

Awards
  • Established
I've been researching and Animal Omega seems to have all the bases covered. I'll be posting a review of it when finished. ;)

Thanks for the generosity Universal.

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established
I agree however, fish oil doesn't become toxic. Toxic is the keyword, and the increased estrogenic effects from Flax, keeps it off of my lists of supplements.
Fish oils have their own set of issues, A--contamination. At least make sure that the fish oils use "molecular distillation".

Ares

Ares

Banned
Awards
"Effective" at doing what? What's the therapeutic dose you're referring to and what are the implied benefits?
Well to body composition, CLA inhibits fat formation.

Health benefits: CLA is an inhibitor of tumor growth, stabilizes cholesterol from oxidation, and is benefical with your mental facilities.

The dose comes from a study, which I can dig up.

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established
Well to body composition, CLA inhibits fat formation.

Health benefits: CLA is an inhibitor of tumor growth, stabilizes cholesterol from oxidation, and is benefical with your mental facilities.

The dose comes from a study, which I can dig up.
I'm familiar with 'em, not necessary A. Just wanted to be sure exactly what you were referencing, that's all. Thanks.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
What about fish oil powder?

CROWLER

GreenSquats

GreenSquats

Awards
  • Established
What about fish oil powder?

CROWLER
Er... maybe I should redefine the thread as to the best source of EFA's. Yes, just whatever you feel provides the best health benefits in the general EFA category. ;)

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
um what?

That's directed at the guy spamming the thread about some product...

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Er... maybe I should redefine the thread as to the best source of EFA's. Yes, just whatever you feel provides the best health benefits in the general EFA category. ;)
Oh sorry about that I wasn't really sticking to the OP question.

Got wrapped up in people talking about fish oil and I wondered what people's thoughts were about fish oil powder.

CROWLER

rob561

rob561

Awards
  • Established

Got wrapped up in people talking about fish oil and I wondered what people's thoughts were about fish oil powder.

CROWLER
fish oil powder sounds disgusting!!!

GreenSquats

GreenSquats

Awards
  • Established

CROWLER
What? No you didn't do anything wrong. My fault, I wasn't clear on the question. Continue the discussion on fish oil powder. ;)

Fabulous One

Awards
  • Established
honestly, I wouldn't get too damn wrapped up in it. Its this type of worrying about little **** that pulls guys away from the main focus and that should be adding pounds to the bar.

Diet and supplementation has became a stress in itself that one really doesn't need. CLO + Fish Oil sounds the best to me actually, but Animal Omega sounds great too. I'd about bet that the positives of a little flax will outweigh the negatives. Flax is just one little bleep on the radar as far as estrogens all around us. You know thats why they make good stuff like Formestane to counter these little bleeps here and there.

g37SkylineGTR

Awards
I just found out that Flax oil is no good and is linked to prostate cancer, in rats atleast. Just a thought. Fish oil FTW

GreenSquats

GreenSquats

Awards
  • Established
honestly, I wouldn't get too damn wrapped up in it. Its this type of worrying about little **** that pulls guys away from the main focus and that should be adding pounds to the bar.

Diet and supplementation has became a stress in itself that one really doesn't need. CLO + Fish Oil sounds the best to me actually, but Animal Omega sounds great too. I'd about bet that the positives of a little flax will outweigh the negatives. Flax is just one little bleep on the radar as far as estrogens all around us. You know thats why they make good stuff like Formestane to counter these little bleeps here and there.
Totaly agreed.

This thread is just for debate... I'm not actually worked up about it... LOL I'm not that low in life... ok so maybe I am... LOL JK.

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
I use Barleans Fish Oil.

Doesn't require the body to convert it inefficiently into actives like flax does.

Nacho1545

Awards
I still stand by saying that having both fish oil and Flax seed is the best.. But if I had to chose one, it would be fish oil...

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established
I still stand by saying that having both fish oil and Flax seed is the best.. But if I had to chose one, it would be fish oil...
Why choose? It's like those raging debates, whey vs. casein.

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established
Whey vs. Casein eh? Hee hee, I smell another thread in the making.

LOL just kidding, that one could get ugly.
Hahaha, yeah... There are those in the whey camp who only take whey. Whey is great, but it's def not the be all, end all. Certain uses make more sense than others. Same with the other proteins. Anyways, same type of argument, "this or that". Why not both? All? That's my point.

GreenSquats

GreenSquats

Awards
  • Established
Hahaha, yeah... There are those in the whey camp who only take whey. Whey is great, but it's def not the be all, end all. Certain uses make more sense than others. Same with the other proteins. Anyways, same type of argument, "this or that". Why not both? All? That's my point.
Yup, you've persuaded me.

clownbaby

clownbaby

Awards
  • Established
fish oil, ur diet has plenty of omega 6 in it but prob not enough omega 3

iDShaDoW

Awards
I don't recall exactly and don't wanna post a long thing but the ALA is what you're consuming Flax Seed for.

The ALA is then converted by the body into Omega-3s and I think they also say that people who consume Omega-6 (not sure what foods sources contain it) but the Omega-6 also interferes with the conversion efficacy of ALA to Omega-3, along with individuals converting it differently from others.

Chances are my information may be off, but if that's the case, then you'd probably wanna supplement with both and if you had to choose one, the Fish Oil would be better.

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established
While flaxseed oil is rich in alpha-linolenic acid, it is not the only reason I supplement with it. The primary FA is n-3, but there is n-9 and n-6 as well. There are also many beneficial compounds in flaxseed oil, outside of FAs in particular which make using flaxseed oil something to consider for general health. For some reason, so many people I talk to talk about flaxseed oil, alpha-linolenic acid and the issue of conversion, talk as if this is the only thing that matters... As with protein powders, I try to get a nice balance as each protein powder offers distinct benefits. The question of fish oil vs. flaxseed oil is like saying which protein powder should I take--whey or casein--exclusively? Why not both? Why not balance?

ari4216

ari4216

Banned
Awards
  • Established
fish oil for shure

did you know they had prescription fish oil called Lovaza
its 3 times as potent as regular fish oil and its in an ethyl ester form.FDA approved for lowering high triglercides

So taking 12 fishoils a day is not a waste, but thats a lot of pills!

LatSpread

LatSpread

Awards
  • Established
certainly both unless taking arachidonic acid, then I just use fish, no flax.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Fish oil is superior because it's omega 3 that we lack in our diets.. not omega 6 and 9's which flax is higher in. The issue though that fish oil is so expensive and to get good quality pharm grade stuff you gotta pay a good price. I take a pharm grade fish oil from a company that I work with which has 360mg epa and 240mg dha in each softgel. I take 3 a day. Who knows what it does for me.. I have no idea but I take it cause I think I should. I have taken flaxseed before and I loved it. My skin improved.. my libido went up despite estrogen raising claims..and it was cheaper! I say if you got the money for a good fish oil product buy it.. if you don't 2 tbsp of flaxseed oil a day sure won't hurt you.

SokVichet

SokVichet

Awards
  • Established
Any brand preference or guidance for finding "high grade" fish oils? How might one determine the quality? I've been buying the oils available at walmart (300mg EPA per gram).

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
Daily i use the following:
a) animal flex
b) animal pak
c) 6g fish oil (6caps)
d) 2-3 whey shakes/day
e) lots of quality chicken/beef
f) water
g) fruit
(typical day is 2-3 apples, bunch of grapes, nectarines)
h) Lift like a maniac. Heavy weights in a PUSH/PULL routine. Quit screwing around with all the pansy exercises (i.e. tri ext, leg ext, conc.curls.....get under the bar and SQUAT, DEAD, pullups, db presses, standing mil presses, etc). Sleep.

I dont care what anyone tells you. Eat fruit, lots, It will not turn to fat. Are u kidding me.

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established
Fish oil is superior because it's omega 3 that we lack in our diets.. not omega 6 and 9's which flax is higher in. The issue though that fish oil is so expensive and to get good quality pharm grade stuff you gotta pay a good price. I take a pharm grade fish oil from a company that I work with which has 360mg epa and 240mg dha in each softgel. I take 3 a day. Who knows what it does for me.. I have no idea but I take it cause I think I should. I have taken flaxseed before and I loved it. My skin improved.. my libido went up despite estrogen raising claims..and it was cheaper! I say if you got the money for a good fish oil product buy it.. if you don't 2 tbsp of flaxseed oil a day sure won't hurt you.
Flaxseed oil is typically around 60% n-3. I agree with you, the typical American diet is way higher in n-6 as compared to n-3, but remember, n-6s are considered "essential" as well.

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established
Any brand preference or guidance for finding "high grade" fish oils? How might one determine the quality? I've been buying the oils available at walmart (300mg EPA per gram).
IMHO, with fish oils, quality counts. You might want to look for a broad spectrum fish oil supplement and make sure it's molecularly distilled for purity.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Interesting you mention walmart! I usually skip over the supplement asle at walmart because I think how good could the quality be but today I stopped and looked at the fish oil and the flaxseed oil cause of this thread. The fish oil you mention is esterfied and claims to have higher epa and dha's. The price is great at just under $10 for 90 softgels. The quality I don't know. It should mention the LAB it comes from and the lab should use GMP's (good manufacturing practices) It should come from a lab which also manufactures prescription drugs so you know the regulations are high and FDA approved. There are few supplement companies out there unfortunately that use these practices. It's not regulated. So just some things to look at.. Do your research on the company that makes the product.

I happend to get a small bottle of flaxseed oil while I was there at $5 bucks so I said.. why not and my skin has been a mess lately with my eczema so I hope that it will help along with my fish oil.

GreenSquats

GreenSquats

Awards
  • Established
Interesting you mention walmart! I usually skip over the supplement asle at walmart because I think how good could the quality be but today I stopped and looked at the fish oil and the flaxseed oil cause of this thread. The fish oil you mention is esterfied and claims to have higher epa and dha's. The price is great at just under $10 for 90 softgels. The quality I don't know. It should mention the LAB it comes from and the lab should use GMP's (good manufacturing practices) It should come from a lab which also manufactures prescription drugs so you know the regulations are high and FDA approved. There are few supplement companies out there unfortunately that use these practices. It's not regulated. So just some things to look at.. Do your research on the company that makes the product.

I happend to get a small bottle of flaxseed oil while I was there at $5 bucks so I said.. why not and my skin has been a mess lately with my eczema so I hope that it will help along with my fish oil.

I hate eczema. I feel your pain bro, I have it too.

SokVichet

SokVichet

Awards
  • Established
Thank you UniversalRep and Flaw for the info! I now have a base to compare products as I find my new staple EFA / Fish Oil source.

Thanks for the link Flaw. Do any of you have a favorite that matches the list of criteria below?

Quality Criteria Summary:
EPA and DHA levels per gram - potency
Look for GMP seal - Good Manufacturing Practices
Look for 'pharmaceutical grade' and/or 'molecular distilled'

GreenSquats

GreenSquats

Awards
  • Established
Thank you UniversalRep and Flaw for the info! I now have a base to compare products as I find my new staple EFA / Fish Oil source.

Thanks for the link Flaw. Do any of you have a favorite that matches the list of criteria below?

Quality Criteria Summary:
EPA and DHA levels per gram - potency
Look for GMP seal - Good Manufacturing Practices
Look for 'pharmaceutical grade' and/or 'molecular distilled'
U-Rep got me hooked on Animal Omega. I love it.

SokVichet

SokVichet

Awards
  • Established
GreenSquats

GreenSquats

Awards
  • Established
NP's bulk is molecularly distilled, but no info on the oil sources: http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/nutraplanet/omega-3-1000-capsules.html

Animal Omega has a TON of sources, however, I question the dosing protocol. Is there a benefit to dosing throughout the day vs all at once? I've been of the understanding you should dose throughout your largest three meals of the day.
http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/universal-nutrition/animal-omega-30-pack.html

I don't question it. As long as you work your ace off in the gym, you should be fine. I mean it wasn't designed for the pussycats.

GreenSquats

GreenSquats

Awards
  • Established
Lol I thought you were questioning if the dosage was too high. I guess you just meant the time to take it, correct? Well then I don't see why you couldn't dose it throughout the day.

SokVichet

SokVichet

Awards
  • Established
Lol I thought you were questioning if the dosage was too high. I guess you just meant the time to take it, correct? Well then I don't see why you couldn't dose it throughout the day.
There we go. Yes, that was my concern. Even in the Omega writeup, the writer states his regimen during his professional years was to split his EFA doses through his meals, and I believe this is the common dosing. Now, you say you've used Animal Omega before? Are all of the pills in a pack a mixture of the same oil, or does it appear they are all different (as in the Animal Pak vitamins)?

A sample would rock, btw reps :p

I have a sample of the yet to be released Ultimate Omega from AI. The profile looks great, and the only thing I could think to add would be an enteric coating so far.