Firearm Thread

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Ha! Awesome man!!!!
Only thing that sucks is a Marine had a 1600m ground to tower shot. Thats the world record. Mine was 1200m tower to ground. But mine was 7.62 his was .50 cal

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Bud, I live in Maryland. Just getting a pistol you have to get finger prints taken. Plus, I forgot, it'll actually be my second pistol. I used to have a Taurus 740, but sold it because I couldn't stand it.
Taurus 740 is absolutely no fun to shoot. And what my wife uses for her CCW. Only thing that I've had that was less fun to shoot was a Ruger LCR .357 Thing was an absolute joy to carry, but a 17 ounce 357 does a pretty good job of slapping your hand.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Taurus 740 is absolutely no fun to shoot. And what my wife uses for her CCW. Only thing that I've had that was less fun to shoot was a Ruger LCR .357 Thing was an absolute joy to carry, but a 17 ounce 357 does a pretty good job of slapping your hand.
Yeah, the only reason I bought the Taurus was it was an impulse buy and I bought it right after the Sandy Hook tragedy, because I knew our governor at the time was going to push for more gun control and he did. It's because of him that we have to get our figure prints taken and have a card just to purchase hand guns now.

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Don't those have reliability issues?
Yeah, the older models had issues but I think they have it worked out because a guy I know has one and it will flat out empty a magazine in a hurry!

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, the only reason I bought the Taurus was it was an impulse buy and I bought it right after the Sandy Hook tragedy, because I knew our governor at the time was going to push for more gun control and he did. It's because of him that we have to get our figure prints taken and have a card just to purchase hand guns now.
Never apologize for having an in-expensive firearm. Beats throwing rocks, right? My wife's has probably over a thousand rounds through it with no problems. Other than the fact that it just plain hurts to shoot it.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Never apologize for having an in-expensive firearm. Beats throwing rocks, right? My wife's has probably over a thousand rounds through it with no problems. Other than the fact that it just plain hurts to shoot it.
Yeah, I just wish I would have picked something like an M&P, or even a cheap revolver. I passed up a decent revolver for the Taurus, only to find out after I bought it that it only held one more round than the revolver. So, I've learned to never impulse buy anymore lol.

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've got a .410/45 LC Derringer that is a joy to shoot. Lol!

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The Judge?? That was one of those that for some reason I always wanted. Had to make an actual attempt to avoid them at the gunshows so I wouldn't end up with another pointless gun.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Back home we call those the think about it. Cause if you hit them with the 410 they will think about getting back up. Lol

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Only thing that sucks is a Marine had a 1600m ground to tower shot. Thats the world record. Mine was 1200m tower to ground. But mine was 7.62 his was .50 cal
Such a far shot man! 7.62 is an awesome round but much easier with a .50 I would assume!?

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The Judge?? That was one of those that for some reason I always wanted. Had to make an actual attempt to avoid them at the gunshows so I wouldn't end up with another pointless gun.
No, a single shot Derringer that fits in the palm of your hand. If the barrel was longer to where it could actually build up some pressure, it'd really be brutal!

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have that same pistol! Have fun taking it apart to clean it.
The guy that did my tile wants to trade labor for it lol so may not even get s chance to clean it

Buuuuuut may end up buying this IMG_5216.jpg

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have two different Mark IV pistols, and honestly have no plans on ever getting rid of them. Fun to shoot, cheap ammo, super accurate and anybody can handle shooting them. They improved my handgun shooting abilities more than anything.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Browning Hi-Power preferred although trained on the Beretta 92FS.
Have a bunch of WW1,WW2 items:
Webley revolvers both .38 and .455
M1 Carbine
M1 Garand
98K Mauser
Various Lee-Enfield rifles
Lee-Enfield .410 police shotgun. An SMLE rebored for shells
Here is the Mauser w/bayonet
mauser.jpg

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have two different Mark IV pistols, and honestly have no plans on ever getting rid of them. Fun to shoot, cheap ammo, super accurate and anybody can handle shooting them. They improved my handgun shooting abilities more than anything.
I have one with an AMC barrel that I used in competition. I love that gun!
My dad brought a guy from work out to my place to sight in his AR. The guy complained that he couldn't see the 8" plate at 100 yards so I brought out the Mark IV and shot the plate all 10 times standing beside him. (Iron sights) I then said, "You mean that plate?" Seems like an asshat thing to do but the guy was talking about almost being a sniper in the military but missed qualifying by one shot. The guy was still in his 20s and couldn't see an 8" plate at 100 yards! I had to call bull$hit on him. Lol!

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Browning Hi-Power preferred although trained on the Beretta 92F.
Have a bunch of WW1,WW2 items:
Webley revolvers both .38 and .455
M1 Carbine
M1 Garand
98K Mauser
Various Lee-Enfield rifles
Lee-Enfield .410 police shotgun. An SMLE rebored for shells
Here is the Mauser w/bayonet
View attachment 159495
Not in the same ballpark as yours, but I picked up a Mosin Nagant (Finnish M39) at a gun show one time. After a few weeks of soaking it in paint thinner and cooking the stock, it appeared to be unused. Thing is loud as fak and kicks like a mule, but I love shooting it. Ended up giving it to my son for his WWII collection.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
You all should check the gun deals subreddit.. I found it a few weeks ago and I'm buying all kinds of things I never new I needed. Lol

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
My dad brought a guy from work out to my place to sight in his AR. The guy complained that he couldn't see the 8" plate at 100 yards so I brought out the Mark IV and shot the plate all 10 times standing beside him. (Iron sights) I then said, "You mean that plate?" Seems like an asshat thing to do but the guy was talking about almost being a sniper in the military but missed qualifying by one shot. The guy was still in his 20s and couldn't see an 8" plate at 100 yards! I had to call bull$hit on him. Lol!
You shot and 8” Plate from 100 yards away with a handgun?

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I call bull$h!t too. If your a qaulified sniper you dont miss a 100 yrd target. I onced missed a 1500m target. And even now with glasses. I can still nail at 1200m

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You shot and 8” Plate from 100 yards away with a handgun?
With that particular handgun (depending on wind conditions) and the right ammo, not a huge deal. Impressive, but far from impossible.

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Here's an old guy who shoots all kinds of stuff at his backyard range some of his far targets are. Close to football field distance. He can ding them with some regularity... With various handguns. Hicock45 https://youtu.be/V4gOnz4qYSw

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
With that particular handgun (depending on wind conditions) and the right ammo, not a huge deal. Impressive, but far from impossible.
I was actually just using cheap Federal ammo at that time. I have a video of me shooting a 16× 16 cardboard box at 175.6 yards with that same cheap ammo with the same gun off hand. Definitely didn't hit it every time but still was fun doing it........ even if it was only 12° F out and slightly windy.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I love shooting long distance plates with mine. Pow.............................................................................................................................tink

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Was doing something in my gun room several weeks ago and realized how much empty brass I had. So to remedy this situation, I've been doing a lot of reloading. I even got 500 rounds of 38 special loaded for my dad. Of course, I still have the problem of more empty brass than loads and I'm out of bullets for my pistols. :( Waiting on tax return to stock up on more supplies.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was trained to stress shoot at 3 yards, 7 yards, 12 yards. Either ready position or from the holster. Strong hand, weak hand, different positions. moving targets, stoppage situations. etc. Never get that type of training at a regular stationary target range with no holster draws which is too bad for actual self defense situations as training takes over.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
I was trained to stress shoot at 3 yards, 7 yards, 12 yards. Either ready position or from the holster. Strong hand, weak hand, different positions. moving targets, stoppage situations. etc. Never get that type of training at a regular stationary target range with no holster draws which is too bad for actual self defense situations as training takes over.
I took my first formal handgun training in summer of 2016. I was a decent bullseye shooter, but never trained on draw stroke, and actual self defense type training. I was blown away what I learned. I've been fortunate enough to have a guy local to me that does the training. I've taken numerous classes since then, and even taking his first level class multiple times. For a concealed carrier to not get training on drawing and shooting from concealment, or at least practicing it on your own, you are doing yourself a disservice. I've been getting local friends involved and gotten a few through this guy's first level class since then.

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey, for all of you that reload, I found a place out of Mississippi that supplies hard cast bullets for a very nice price! Summers Enterprise.

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
This is exactly why I started doing 3 gun competitions. I never felt I was accomplishing anything plinking or at a range. Add a timer, audience, multiple things to remember, diff angles, stress reloads, penalties, and you really push yourself to be better in a stressful situation. So damn fun too!

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not in the same ballpark as yours, but I picked up a Mosin Nagant (Finnish M39) at a gun show one time. After a few weeks of soaking it in paint thinner and cooking the stock, it appeared to be unused. Thing is loud as fak and kicks like a mule, but I love shooting it. Ended up giving it to my son for his WWII collection.
I see some K98s came in and were sold out immediately. I paid $254 for mine in 1993. Now sell for $1299.99!!
https://www.classicfirearms.com/lng-k98-rifle

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Amazon has a good 42" Plano Gun Case on sale for $55 right now if anyone is interested. It is supposed to be a good alternative to the Pelican cases, so I went ahead and picked one up.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Amazon has a good 42" Plano Gun Case on sale for $55 right now if anyone is interested. It is supposed to be a good alternative to the Pelican cases, so I went ahead and picked one up.
Sam's has been running a couple small pelican knockoffs for about $20-$25 lately. One is a carry on sized rolling case and one looks like it's brief cased size.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Sam's has been running a couple small pelican knockoffs for about $20-$25 lately. One is a carry on sized rolling case and one looks like it's brief cased size.
I saw the rolling one last week I think.. I really need to get a Sam's membership I guess, they've been having a lot of things we could use lately.

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey, for all of you that reload, I found a place out of Mississippi that supplies hard cast bullets for a very nice price! Summers Enterprise.
Quick update on these. Got them in the other day and did some testing. Checking the actual weights on the projectiles and the overall quality of mold, they are pretty consistent. Just as good, if not better than the more expensive ones I was getting. Still haven't put them on paper to see if they fly true but just shooting them into the hill at clay pigeons, they seem to be right on.
:bigok:

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Guess I should update about the Summers Enterprise lead. They shoot great. No complaints at all! I also have no complaints about these CFE223 fueled Nosler Varmageddons. Five shots at 100 yards.
15219327964240.jpg
Was working on getting the load just right for my rifle today. Decided this group was good enough.