Female bodybuilders death attributed to supplements

rowz4broz

rowz4broz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Bodybuilder mom dies from too much protein before competition | New York Post

Her mother now wants tighter control on the supplement industry. I don't know how they can say it was the protein supplements that caused her death she was taking in protein from plenty of other sources but I suppose they need to blame somebody for her dying instead of the undiagnosed disorder she had.
her body couldn't break down the protein... very sad... prayers go out to her family and 2 kids

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm glad you posted this. I saw it yesterday. I was curious if there have been any other cases? I couldn't really dig and info

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
"The sale of these products needs to be more regulated"

Statements like this carry about as much practical oomph as those made by beauty pageant contestants urging "world peace".

How the fuk do you regulate protein supp sales in a way meaningfully relevant to anomalous cases like this one? Its like trying to come up with health and safety legislation to prevent head injuries due to pianos-falling-from-the-sky.

jewgold

jewgold

Awards
  • Established
The article says she had a disorder that caused this so it's not likely to happen to everyone.

Alan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
While a high protein intake likely didn't help (and I'd be curious to know how they specifically attributed it to protein intake in the form of supplements), heaven forbid they factor in her dieting and potentially excessive exercise regimen leading to the ammonia buildup...

Eight

Eight

Awards
Outrageously shoddy reporting.

It's a sad story, and I feel bad for her mum... I'm sure she's gutted and desperate to find some kind of reason for why this happened... but seriously, protein needs regulating now? It's food.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Obviously the moms comment is emotionally motivated. Itll probably amount to nothing. But, the real risk here is that comments like that can potentially gain traction via social media and the whole thing snowballs. Hopefully it wont. Cos this is not about regulating quality and all the stuff we can agree on, but about restricting personal freedoms.

APC80

APC80

Awards
Outrageously shoddy reporting.

It's a sad story, and I feel bad for her mum... I'm sure she's gutted and desperate to find some kind of reason for why this happened... but seriously, protein needs regulating now? It's food.
It is a sad case, the girl looked like she wasn't on steroids or anything unnatural which in a way makes it worse but it was an undiagnosed disorder they may as well blame her dr as well while they're at it.

APC80

APC80

Awards
Obviously the moms comment is emotionally motivated. Itll probably amount to nothing. But, the real risk here is that comments like that can potentially gain traction via social media and the whole thing snowballs. Hopefully it wont. Cos this is not about regulating quality and all the stuff we can agree on, but about restricting personal freedoms.
That's the problem when they talk about "regulation" isn't it, usually means just banning something for the sake of it.

Reactions: Nac
HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This has been popping up in my google feed for the past 3-4 days. The thing is, they write the headline 3-4 different ways and release it 3-4 times a day and it gets clicks. I feel bad for this person, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize she could have died eating too much chicken and beef too.,,

kelvarnsen

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A cheap cbc test would have shown any physician that she had a major problem.

Get those labs done even if you aren't using gear.

Kaiyas_daddy

Awards
  • Established
Condolences to her mother and her family. However, you can't blame the protein supplement. If you cant process protein you don't supplement more protein. You don't put diesel in a gas car.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
"Female Eating Competition competitor dies from attempting a Texas Steakhouse 96oz "Big Brama" steak challenge - mom wants Cows more tightly regulated" - welcome to the USA, 2017.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
"Female Eating Competition competitor dies from attempting a Texas Steakhouse 96oz "Big Brama" steak challenge - mom wants Cows more tightly regulated" - welcome to the USA, 2017.
You mean, steakhouses should be more diligent about alerting consumers to the dangers of eating steak!!!?? I was totally unaware. Your headline saved my life!

Only, this was in Australia apparently.