Fat loss after Holidays - 1st approach to Intermittent Fasting

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Have you tried Almond milk? I found that to be a very good and tasty (vanilla flavor unsweetened is delicious with cookies and cream whey) replacement for the milk with no sugar, no carbs and some very good fats.
Agreed, the unsweetened vanilla is phenomenal.

Dark_Ansem

Awards
day 3. yet some more weight loss (not as dramatic as yesterday's tho) and I am not the most scrupolous person ever. let's hope it continues.
i still don't understand why the 16hr fasting should make one more receptive to food in a good way tho.

huggy77

huggy77

Awards
day 3. yet some more weight loss (not as dramatic as yesterday's tho) and I am not the most scrupolous person ever. let's hope it continues.
i still don't understand why the 16hr fasting should make one more receptive to food in a good way tho.
Did u read the jb article I posted?

Dark_Ansem

Awards
missed it. will read it now.

EDIT: good read. but it does not deal with an evening training.
and it seems a bit too radical about marco partitioning.
also, why people who are not in good shape won't benefit from it? those with bf more than that percentage (I have not counted mine. but I am positve I am more than 15%).
-actually, my bad. it's not "ineffective". it's supposed to be "harder".

Intesting thing, the 100 push-ups before each meal twice per week. just how much before is not specified :)

EDIT2: do you think alphamine would count as calories if taken during the fast (that is, on empty stomach at breakfast AND continuing to stay empty until the feeding phase begins)?

huggy77

huggy77

Awards
missed it. will read it now.

EDIT: good read. but it does not deal with an evening training.
and it seems a bit too radical about marco partitioning.
also, why people who are not in good shape won't benefit from it? those with bf more than that percentage (I have not counted mine. but I am positve I am more than 15%).
-actually, my bad. it's not "ineffective". it's supposed to be "harder".

Intesting thing, the 100 push-ups before each meal twice per week. just how much before is not specified :)

EDIT2: do you think alphamine would count as calories if taken during the fast (that is, on empty stomach at breakfast AND continuing to stay empty until the feeding phase begins)?
Alphamine would be fine.... can u show us your macros and when your eating in reference to your training

Dark_Ansem

Awards
day 4. back some 300g. must have made some mistake with carbs or fat.
and tonight I am out for dinner. I have absolutely no idea how, without alphamine, I'll make enough "calorie buffer".

huggy77

huggy77

Awards
tell us what your eating and when
tell us about how you training
stop weighing yourself every day (your going to make yourself crazy). Weigh yourself once a week, on the same day, at roughly the same time....

Dark_Ansem

Awards
oh ok, my protocol is around 13,30-21-30 for eating hours (I train around 19), and everything else for fasting.

I train 3/week with weights and whenever possible with cardio, like 2/week.
weight training is "multifrequency", I don't know how to properly translate it in English. it's like 8 exercises per training day, covering the whole body (or almost).

huggy77

huggy77

Awards
oh ok, my protocol is around 13,30-21-30 for eating hours (I train around 19), and everything else for fasting.

I train 3/week with weights and whenever possible with cardio, like 2/week.
weight training is "multifrequency", I don't know how to properly translate it in English. it's like 8 exercises per training day, covering the whole body (or almost).
this is helpful!
don't worry about your translation - its all good

now show us what your eating and when on training days vs non....

Dark_Ansem

Awards
so what I eat on training days (tuesday) - example
1st meal: lentils with some low-fat cheese
2nd meal: milk and coffee without sugar + 200kcal of carbs
3rd meal: white fish + potaoes, some olive oil used and cayenna. very little salt.

Dark_Ansem

Awards
sigh, fasting time today is going bonkers because I have friends who love late dinner AND chinese food.
any suggestions?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Just go enjoy yourself socially with your friends. Don't over do it, try and keep it as clean as you can but enjoy your time with your friends. Extend your fast tomorrow, your fast doesn't have to be the same times every day. Its just recommended to get yourself on a schedule at a physiological level. For instance, normal fast:11-7/today you break fast at 10 pm, fast til 2 tomorrow to make up for the 3 hours. That's what's great about IF.

huggy77

huggy77

Awards
Just go enjoy yourself socially with your friends. Don't over do it, try and keep it as clean as you can but enjoy your time with your friends. Extend your fast tomorrow, your fast doesn't have to be the same times every day. Its just recommended to get yourself on a schedule at a physiological level. For instance, normal fast:11-7/today you break fast at 10 pm, fast til 2 tomorrow to make up for the 3 hours. That's what's great about IF.
agreed, plus start thinking about your calories on a weekly level too.... Helps with those binges...

best thing i did during the holidays was work out on thanksgiving and new years mornings, i opened my fast with those big meals an hour after training and it was AMAZING!

Dark_Ansem

Awards
well, it could have been definitely worse. I luckily still feel full-ish so fasting today will possibly be easier :D
this evening, after the workout, will eat some whole grain carbs.

Dark_Ansem

Awards
another day of training. very little cardio but I did manage to fast up to 3pm. tomorrow is another night out so I'll try to contain myself a lot.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Just noticed this thread and scanned through. I started following longer fasting states about a year ago maainly due to too much flex in my work schedule it was difficult to have regular meal times. Fell back into it inadvertently come January. Subbed to learn and give feedback on what I've learned. It's an interesting concept all said and done. Not for everyone but certainly can be done with huge success after MUCH trial and error. Good luck. And don't worry if one day here and there you fall off from a lunch date or something... It's not that serious just don't make a habit.

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I couldn't sleep last night, and by 3:00am I gave in and had a bowl of cinnamon life. 10 minutes later I passed out. Worth breaking my fast and diet for.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I couldn't sleep last night, and by 3:00am I gave in and had a bowl of cinnamon life. 10 minutes later I passed out. Worth breaking my fast and diet for.
To me, this says your macros aren't in check. Shouldn't be waking up midsleep to eat. Lesson learned the hard way.

-OS-Team AppNut

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
To me, this says your macros aren't in check. Shouldn't be waking up midsleep to eat. Lesson learned the hard way.

-OS-Team AppNut
I agree and it may have been me dropping carbs lower. However I hadn't been able to sleep up to that point. So it wasn't waking from my sleep.

Dark_Ansem

Awards
lol I don0t understand. I think I eat a lot and the day after everything is good. another day I think I starve and the day after I weigh more.

then again, the Leangains method could theoretically recomp without any change in weight, but I am not THAT blindly optimistic.

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well, 2 things you can do IMO. Eat the same diet consistantly, or weigh yourself less often; every week, once a month etc...

I haven't weighed myself in over a year now. Was my 2012 resolution, and I renewed it for 2013. One of the best things I ever did for myself.

Dark_Ansem

Awards
Well, 2 things you can do IMO. Eat the same diet consistantly, or weigh yourself less often; every week, once a month etc...

I haven't weighed myself in over a year now. Was my 2012 resolution, and I renewed it for 2013. One of the best things I ever did for myself.
what? why?

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Because the scale messes with your head and body composition isn't as easy as looking at the number. Water weight fluctuates 5lbs in a given day. I don't know what I weigh right now... Somewhere mid 160s. Should be eating with consistently anyway. That's just how it works.

Ape, its possible. Did you replace those calories with fats or protein? Also consider micronutrients you need. But your saying its been this way before. If it is diet related here's one way to try and figure it out: as soon as you wake up what's your instinctive go to food source? There's something in there you need and subjectively know it has

huggy77

huggy77

Awards
lol I don0t understand. I think I eat a lot and the day after everything is good. another day I think I starve and the day after I weigh more.

then again, the Leangains method could theoretically recomp without any change in weight, but I am not THAT blindly optimistic.
Weigh yourself once a week on the same day.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established

Dark_Ansem

Awards
I understand, good thinking. so even if I don't weight myself but my trousers feel larger I should consider it a good sign?

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Because the scale messes with your head and body composition isn't as easy as looking at the number. Water weight fluctuates 5lbs in a given day. I don't know what I weigh right now... Somewhere mid 160s. Should be eating with consistently anyway. That's just how it works.

Ape, its possible. Did you replace those calories with fats or protein? Also consider micronutrients you need. But your saying its been this way before. If it is diet related here's one way to try and figure it out: as soon as you wake up what's your instinctive go to food source? There's something in there you need and subjectively know it has
Good drop on the extra knowledge here.

As for me;I really think it was a mix of not sleeping, and boredom. However, like I said it seemed to be exactly what I needed.

First thing in the AM is my Alphamine, but this would usually be coffee.

Hour later its protein pancakes and eggs. Oats, cottage cheese, and eggs are the main batter ingredients.

huggy77

huggy77

Awards
I understand, good thinking. so even if I don't weight myself but my trousers feel larger I should consider it a good sign?
Its hard to say because your log really could use more numbers. If your consistently getting 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight, your calories are where they have to be and your are exercising regularly the diet will work.

I think the fast in a lean gains program has just enough positive impact on your hormones to really make the difference for someone who is stuck with their current diet.

In regards to weighing yourself every day i can put on 8-10 pounds in a day on a carb refeed, so i would weigh myself on the same day every week and make sure that day was a low carb day (water weight).

again, i would play around with something like this to get your baseline macros, http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
That's an awesome page I use it everytime. Regardless of using IF or not it's just a good way to calculate macros for the diet and see where the numbers are. I have the print out in front of me as I'm rewriting my carb cycling.

-OS-Team AppNut

Dark_Ansem

Awards
that looks like an useful website .)

Dark_Ansem

Awards
sooo... apparently I started to see a *beginning* of iliac crest (only when facing opposite light) yesterday after the training. I still think I am possibly deluded BUT STILL, it is something that never happened before.

Dark_Ansem

Awards
I think I finally understood the meanng of "water weight", especially when eating carbs.

have started taking alphamine + triazole, it does help with hunger suppression.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Hey whatever little things drive you to keep on keepin on.

-OS-Team AppNut

Dark_Ansem

Awards
do carbs influence water weight?

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
do carbs influence water weight?
'

Absolutely. Consider that all things a made and broken down with water. And osmosis plays a role as well. If a cell is filled with carbohydrates then water will rush in to maintain an isotonic concentration to the surrounding area outside the cell. It's important as for when it comes time to break down glycogen that water is essential to retrieving glucose molecules:

(Glucose-Glucose) + H2O = Glucose + Glucose <---Glycolysis of glycogen into glucose monomers
Glucose + Glucose - H20 = (Glucose-Glucose) +H2O<---Glycogenesis forming glycogen by binding of glucose monomers

This is a very very simple model.... there's a lot more to it than that.

-OS-Team AppNut

Dark_Ansem

Awards
so the more carbs are eaten the more water they actually store.
this explains a lot :p

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
lolz

rhino65

rhino65

Awards
During my fast can I have a low carb monster pretty sure its under 50 calories? Also cycling in a ECA stack im only taking them on my low calorie day then stop during my weight lifting.

What do u guys think?

Dark_Ansem

Awards
again, I do not understand IF. one day I eat a lot and nothing happens, another I think I starve and I weigh more. ah well :p

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
During my fast can I have a low carb monster pretty sure its under 50 calories? Also cycling in a ECA stack im only taking them on my low calorie day then stop during my weight lifting.

What do u guys think?

Ultimately your calorie intake at this time should be zero. 50 is too much ill give you that right now. Ive done the Absolute Zero and its been ok but high amounts of citric acid might affect you - its person dependent with that. In addition, Martin Berkam also states you should never "drink" your calories but I break fast with a post workout shake while I prepare a monstrous breakfast.

-OS-Team AppNut

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
again, I do not understand IF. one day I eat a lot and nothing happens, another I think I starve and I weigh more. ah well :p
I think you weigh yourself too often for one thing. Relax.

-OS-Team AppNut

Dark_Ansem

Awards
took yesterday as day off from IF, was feeling very funny in the stomach.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I legit hate eating during any other time than my feeding window I feel like crap. Enough of a reason not to cheat. There are always certain days it just need to happen - feeling sick or dizzy for whatever reason. Just listen to your body.

-OS-Team AppNut

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Weight yourself once a week, every week, with the same routine (I.E. Sunday morning first thing after taking a piss).

If you weigh yourself every day and pay attention to the natural fluctuations you will go nuts. And you will think you need to fix something that doesn't need fixing. So stop :)

he-man

he-man

Awards
  • Established
I loosely follow the IF protocol without really noticing, but i havent been counting cals/macros. What would you guys consider the maximum deficit for a cut or a good starting point for a recomp?

Dark_Ansem

Awards
Weight yourself once a week, every week, with the same routine (I.E. Sunday morning first thing after taking a piss).

If you weigh yourself every day and pay attention to the natural fluctuations you will go nuts. And you will think you need to fix something that doesn't need fixing. So stop :)
gym mate says he thinks I'm slimming up. I don't really se myself that different, ah well :p
little strength gains, but steady.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
gym mate says he thinks I'm slimming up. I don't really se myself that different, ah well :p
little strength gains, but steady.
Of course you don't. I lost ten pounds and put on some muscle from March to August and I didn't think I looked different at all really. But everyone commented on it that hadn't seen me in a while.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

I weigh myself everyday and look in mirror for changes and do body fat testing 2x a week. I do this so I don't count cals and adjust by the nunbers

Dark_Ansem

Awards
siiiigh... some alcohol/appetizer stuff and I just know I've done worse LOL

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
siiiigh... some alcohol/appetizer stuff and I just know I've done worse LOL
According to Berkham there is a way to consume alcohol while minimizing some of the negative reprocussions. I strongly recommend you to don't try your hand at it until you understand the IF diet better. Best bet is to just keep it off.

I loosely follow the IF protocol without really noticing, but i havent been counting cals/macros. What would you guys consider the maximum deficit for a cut or a good starting point for a recomp?
http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

-OS-Team AppNut