Unanswered Donating Blood

khall1974

khall1974

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When is the best time to donate blood during the week while training? I workout 6 days a week and planned to go on Sunday. How long does it take to recover? Would I be good enough to train on Monday?

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If they are taking a pint, you are good to workout the next day!

CroLifter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
When is the best time to donate blood during the week while training? I workout 6 days a week and planned to go on Sunday. How long does it take to recover? Would I be good enough to train on Monday?
My strength personally went down after the first phlebotomy (450ml) and during the cycle, i never returned to pre-phlebotomy strength level as i had to do 2 more and ended up anemic.
Check your ferritin, i made a mistake and didnt and ended up anemic. Then your training is really going to suffer.
And then you start supplementing iron and eating iron rich food (what i a doing currently) and then your hematocrit creeps up extremely fast. You end up in a vicious cycle.

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
When I donate I’m gtg the next day. My strength is back to 100% within 2-3 days.

GHopkins

GHopkins

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Try not to do arms the next day. Take some extra fluids. Also pop some extra Vit C to support ferritin production from iron. If you eat a lot of red meat, it might make sense to add Vit C the day before you donate. This will reduce total body iron build up which is a problem as we all age.

ItalOne

ItalOne

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
I am good to go a few hours later. It’s not like giving a kidney!

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Red meat. Vitamin C. Good nights sleep. You be right as rain.

khall1974

khall1974

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Cool and thanks for the replies fellas.