Does thyroid medication permanently shut down or slow down thyroid?

Ranku12

Awards
Would thyroid medication have the same effect that testosterone or any anabolic steroids would on your natural production like total shutdown or permenant suppression? Thanks.

Ranku12

Awards
My thyroid is already pretty slow as is I wouldn't want to do a t3 cycle, get off and be more messed up. Thankyou.

FloridaMan

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
The literature suggests a healthy thyroid can easily come back from supplementation, and yes your thyroid will stop producing and/or slow down production of it's hormones when you supplement them with direct replacements.

As always "no one can give you a definitive answer, it's always a 50/50."

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Most ppl bounce back just fine but there's always a possibility. Like mentioned above, no definite answer. If yiur thyroid is already not functioning properly I'd combine t4 with t3 and taper off.

It most certainly is not normally necessary to do that, but it can help

Ranku12

Awards
Most ppl bounce back just fine but there's always a possibility. Like mentioned above, no definite answer. If yiur thyroid is already not functioning properly I'd combine t4 with t3 and taper off.

It most certainly is not normally necessary to do that, but it can help
What your suggesting is to take thyroid hormone until I hit a healthy body weight then slowly lower the dosage until I'm on nothing?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
What your suggesting is to take thyroid hormone until I hit a healthy body weight then slowly lower the dosage until I'm on nothing?
No, I'm suggesting using thyroid when you need it and then tapering off it. If yiur relying on thyroid meds to get you in shape it will never happen. There's many different reasons someone might use thyroid drugs. But if the goal is purely fat loss then you may find yourself on it forca very long time. There's not really a black and white answer I can give without fully understanding the situation. If I'm gonna tell someone to use thyroid it's typically at the tail end of a cut, and even then it's only if needed. Most ppl don't need t3 to cut successfully. If you have a thyroid issue you should address that with a Dr. Before self administration of thyroid hormones

Drakee

Drakee

Awards
  • Established
Dont mess with your thyroid for weight loss.
If you're hypothyroid you should work on improving it by taking iodine, selenium and boron.

Ranku12

Awards
No, I'm suggesting using thyroid when you need it and then tapering off it. If yiur relying on thyroid meds to get you in shape it will never happen. There's many different reasons someone might use thyroid drugs. But if the goal is purely fat loss then you may find yourself on it forca very long time. There's not really a black and white answer I can give without fully understanding the situation. If I'm gonna tell someone to use thyroid it's typically at the tail end of a cut, and even then it's only if needed. Most ppl don't need t3 to cut successfully. If you have a thyroid issue you should address that with a Dr. Before self administration of thyroid hormones
Doctor doesn't want to treat but I have all the symptoms. Extremely cold especially in mornings. And a morning temp of 95.6-96.5. Tsh is 5

lamarclark09

Awards
Nope! Medication will not cause your gland to atrophy. It has no effect on thyroid function; if it did, everyone who takes it would have no thyroid function, yet some individuals continue on a low dose for a very long period. But obviously, it can be different for different people so I can’t tell if it can be implied in your situation or not.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Nope! Medication will not cause your gland to atrophy. It has no effect on thyroid function; if it did, everyone who takes it would have no thyroid function, yet some individuals continue on a low dose for a very long period. But obviously, it can be different for different people so I can’t tell if it can be implied in your situation or not.
T3 absolutely CAN impare thyroid function, it's. Not common for it to be significant. But it 100% can have a effect and if your thyroid is already not functioning correctly then going on and off t3 can leave you with some lag time. This is where t4 comes in to play, there's more to it and i don't have the time to write a detailed explanation. But it's definitely not as black and white or completely true as saying thyroid medications don't effect thyroid function

Ranku12

Awards
T3 absolutely CAN impare thyroid function, it's. Not common for it to be significant. But it 100% can have a effect and if your thyroid is already not functioning correctly then going on and off t3 can leave you with some lag time. This is where t4 comes in to play, there's more to it and i don't have the time to write a detailed explanation. But it's definitely not as black and white or completely true as saying thyroid medications don't effect thyroid function
Maybe with some lag time for your pituitary to send the signal for your thyroid to come back online but what from the video said apparently your thyroid comes back on 100 percent over time.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Maybe with some lag time for your pituitary to send the signal for your thyroid to come back online but what from the video said apparently your thyroid comes back on 100 percent over time.
"Over time"

Just like you can run a steroid cycle with no pct and your testosterone will come back "over time"

Ranku12

Awards
"Over time"

Just like you can run a steroid cycle with no pct and your testosterone will come back "over time"
Yeah I guess that could be months. Alot of people say sometimes testicular function never goes back to normal

BillD

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Derek from MPMD says he ran 50off T3 for a year straight and just stopped it and his thyroid was just fine.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Derek from MPMD says he ran 50off T3 for a year straight and just stopped it and his thyroid was just fine.
Some ppl run tren only cycles for a year and recover fine. All of you are missing the point. Derek is also a scam artist but that's irrelevant to this conversation. Just wanted to throw that in there to be a dick lol