AACE Guideline on Thyroid - Doesn't Mention Cortisol?

kincaiddave

Awards
Why is it that the AACE guideline on the treatment of Hypothyroidism does not even mention cortisol?

http://www.aace.com/pub/pdf/guidelines/hypo_hyper.pdf

Most of what I have read indicates that it is absolutely necessary to test cortisol levels and supplement as necessary during thyroid treatment.

I am looking for "authoritative" information on the need for testing of cortisol and suplementation. I need something more than to say that I learned it on the internet. The reason is that my 78 year old father has been put on Synthroid and they are not testing his cortisol.

The doc wants to wait 3 months before any testing after starting at 25mcg. Everything that I am reading says to go no more than 2 months before testing. My father thinks that his doc can do no wrong and here I am disagreeing.

I wish I could get his cortisol tested and supplemented, medication changed to Armour, and follow-ups done at the appropriate time. My father's heart output (ejection fraction) is low and he needs all the help he can get.

FWIW the same doc scared my father telling him that my testosterone injections are known to cause cancer.

Thanks for any help!

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Why is it that the AACE guideline on the treatment of Hypothyroidism does not even mention cortisol?

http://www.aace.com/pub/pdf/guidelines/hypo_hyper.pdf

Most of what I have read indicates that it is absolutely necessary to test cortisol levels and supplement as necessary during thyroid treatment.

I am looking for "authoritative" information on the need for testing of cortisol and suplementation. I need something more than to say that I learned it on the internet. The reason is that my 78 year old father has been put on Synthroid and they are not testing his cortisol.

The doc wants to wait 3 months before any testing after starting at 25mcg. Everything that I am reading says to go no more than 2 months before testing. My father thinks that his doc can do no wrong and here I am disagreeing.

I wish I could get his cortisol tested and supplemented, medication changed to Armour, and follow-ups done at the appropriate time. My father's heart output (ejection fraction) is low and he needs all the help he can get.

FWIW the same doc scared my father telling him that my testosterone injections are known to cause cancer.

Thanks for any help!
Pray, there is certain group of people that are being helped by Synthroid.
Measure his resting pulse and blood pressure for the next few days, few times per day, so you will have a record when he will be on Synthroid or hopefully on Armour.

Another words there is no chance that he would go fo my list of blod tests, post #44

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/male-anti-aging/66268-jans-bloodtest-april13-2.html

I am sure his Medicare would pay for it, mine did, all he have to do is give his blood.

Give it good try.
If he does not have prostate or breast cancers or PSA>4.0
he is probably candidate for TRT and the other usuall workups. The PSA part I am not sure ablut.