Does anyone know...

colindep

colindep

Awards
  • Established
Does anyone know the actual reason supplements are so much more expensive in Canada? On average 50-75% more. It seems outrageous especially considering the value of the american dollar is sinking like the titanic.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
:usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Does anyone know the actual reason supplements are so much more expensive in Canada? On average 50-75% more. It seems outrageous especially considering the value of the american dollar is sinking like the titanic.
Possibly shipping costs...but that seems odd

colindep

colindep

Awards
  • Established
It's very odd. For example, it is cheaper to order a 5lb container of optimum whey from the states and pay $20 shipping than to buy locally in Canada.

Carcaya

Carcaya

Awards
  • Established
big brother tax . .

sorry got no answers for ya

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would guess it has something to do with your free health care program. Big brother does not want you healthy....

I could be wrong but I doubt it. I'm sure we will see major tax increases on sport nutrition here in America. They already tax in door fitness and in door tanning to help pay for our future "free" health cre...

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is it expensive because tax?

colindep

colindep

Awards
  • Established
Is it expensive because tax?
No, our taxes just add even more to the cost but the base retail prices are just way higher. Then add 13% tax.

Examples:

ON whey gold standard - U.S. = 44.99, CAN = 59.99 (minimum)
Jack3d - U.S. = 23.99, CAN = 49.99
Superpump - U.S. = 33.95, CAN = 52.99
NO explode - U.S.= 33.95, CAN = 59.99
Opti-men - U.S.= 23.99 , CAN = 37.99

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No, our taxes just add even more to the cost but the base retail prices are just way higher. Then add 13% tax.

Examples:

I would rent a truck and make a trip across the border once a year...

Hawk

Hawk

Awards
  • Established
well, I found the Jack3d cheaper than you listed, but not by much.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Is your economy in the dumps like ours? If not then that's why. Our supp prices will probably go up too if the economy ever works itself out.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

Examples:

could it be because you are buying at a brick and motar store versus e-tailer?

i have seen prices even higher than that at f'ing gnc!!!

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
hmm logical speaking it could be because most of those companies are based out of the USA and it may cost THEM more money to sell the products to the vendors of other countries so that extra cost is transfered to the vendorrs which is transfered to the counsumers. Just an idea, maybe customs has somethign to do with it, like a fee they have to pay or something.

Or it can be simply people in canada are more willing to pay the higher price than here in the states. Not sure how the canada economy works but here we are very competitive (one of the reason why we are great (free market) :usa: ) so it could be because canadaians are willing to pay those prices so retailers have no reason to lower the price

again this is just me trying to reason it none of the above may be right. I would ask a vendor if they can offer any insight

obvious

obvious

Awards
1 - manufacturers are in the USA and have to ship up

2 - additional middleman "distributor" takes a cut, driving up price

3 - lower volume (we have 10% of the USA's population)

4 - people are accustomed to paying
more up here so store owners charge more

The hilarious one for me and my buddies is we buy Mutant Mass - which is made here in Vancouver - for far cheaper in the US and have it shipped up. So it travels thousands of KM just to end up 10 minutes from where it was made.

Just buy online and have it shipped up.

colindep

colindep

Awards
  • Established
1 - manufacturers are in the USA and have to ship up

2 - additional middleman "distributor" takes a cut, driving up price

3 - lower volume (we have 10% of the USA's population)

4 - people are accustomed to paying
more up here so store owners charge more

The hilarious one for me and my buddies is we buy Mutant Mass - which is made here in Vancouver - for far cheaper in the US and have it shipped up. So it travels thousands of KM just to end up 10 minutes from where it was made.

Just buy online and have it shipped up.
Thats what I currently do. I buy a bulk order every few months and save myself 50% of what I would pay here. But you make an interesting point about mutant mass, several other large companies including muscle pharm manufacture here yet its still cheaper to purchase from the U.S. I pay less yet the product makes a 5000km trip around North America before it ends up driving distance from where its made. Ridiculous :think: