Discussion on typical SERM dosing protocols

Skigazzi

Skigazzi

Awards
  • Established
Im having a hard time wording this question to sound intelligent :D I know a lot about this stuff (really!!! :) ), but this has always been something I wondered about:

Can someone explain why it is common practice to take daily doses of SERMS which have a half life of about a WEEK? For instance, say a post cycle therapy is 40/40/20/20 Nolva (just for illustration), after 7 days of this post cycle therapy, these 7 days will equal about 200mg of Nolva in the body...wouldnt it be just as effective to take a large weekly dose since its going to build up anyway, and very slowly dissipate?

I could workup a spreadsheet that would show an incedible buildup of doses in the body on a typical post cycle therapy, and with Nolva not being terribly dose dependent (I think), what is the point of this.

I can't figure out why either a different dosing schedule (weekly, EOD, twice weekly) wouldnt work just as well. I know of someone who uses Clomid (50mg, not the typical 100 or 150mg) 3 days on , then off for 3 days, repeating this 4-5 times, and they have had very easy PCT's..

Just me thinking out loud....opinions and discussion would be nice.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Interesting.

The only reason I'd assume that people do a cycle like this (40/40/20/20) is because it doesn't build up fast enough.

Or maybe you want to drop a nuke so to speak when you try to restart your HPTA and not just coax it.

Skigazzi

Skigazzi

Awards
  • Established
Or maybe you want to drop a nuke so to speak when you try to restart your HPTA and not just coax it.
I considered that this might be the reason, but then why not just take 200mg on day 1 of PCT, and then 100mg on day 8, and 50mg on day 16..... bloodlevels would be about the same as a standard protocol and make life easier?

Again, just thinking out loud..looking to see if anyone else thinks like I do :twisted:

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I considered that this might be the reason, but then why not just take 200mg on day 1 of post cycle therapy, and then 100mg on day 8, and 50mg on day 16..... bloodlevels would be about the same as a standard protocol and make life easier?

Again, just thinking out loud..looking to see if anyone else thinks like I do :twisted:

Hey, I'm with you pal. Here to learn and help when I can.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
My guess (which is nothing more) on Nolvadex/Tamoxifen specifically and not dosing an "effective amount" initially (200mg for ex.) may have to do with the alleged liver toxicity. Perhaps it's safer to get it passed the liver in smaller increments.

gators52

gators52

Awards
  • Established
This should be a very interesting discussion...you would think there is answer somewhere, I sure dont have it. However the thought of taking 200mg of liqid nolva, doesn't sound too appealing, 40mg is gross enough ha

Hyde12

Awards
  • Established
I take Clomid sometimes for about 2-3 days (not for PCT) and I still get effects for at least 4 days after. I think that with compouds like Clomid that could mess up you vision they are better taken every couple of days or EOD.

Skigazzi

Skigazzi

Awards
  • Established
I take Clomid sometimes for about 2-3 days (not for post cycle therapy) and I still get effects for at least 4 days after. I think that with compouds like Clomid that could mess up you vision they are better taken every couple of days or EOD.
I agree completely on Clomid being dosed 2 on 2 off or something like that, and at lower doses than commonly used. Glad to see some replies to this one...it got a lot of views but no replies...that how you know you asked a good question :D

One could draw up a lot of dosing schedules considering the half life of these things (5 -7 days) that look much different than conventional thinking.

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i dont have an answer so i can only speculate that all that nolva @ once would just be far too harsh on the liver..... that is speculating that its majority of toxicity applies only during first pass since eventually as you pointed out youll have 200 mg in it in the end anyhow.... wish someone with a real answer could speak up as this is very interesting to me as well...