Dinosaurs in the Garden of Eden...

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Dude, how are you going to call them nuts just because they believe in some stupid museum exhibit, when you believe you were spawned from a primordial slime mold? Who's nuts again?! Check yourself man because you sound crazier than they do.
this is what you call science fiction not science... what is this ninja turtles?? lol... sorry it sounds no more outlandish then a creation from a superior being.... IMO God is the greatest scientist known and doesnt have to stick to our "known rules".... or am i mistaken that men know all and the world was once flat????

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
this is what you call science fiction not science... what is this ninja turtles?? lol... sorry it sounds no more outlandish then a creation from a superior being.... IMO God is the greatest scientist known and doesnt have to stick to our "known rules".... or am i mistaken that men know all and the world was once flat????
May be the world was flat before? and then scientists secretly made it round. :rolleyes:

Or here's another theory. May be God only created half the earth and other half had few bacteria cells that over gazillion years developed into monkeys and then to humans who don't believe in God. It actually would explain a LOT. :D

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
thanks dmitry, youve solved all our answers! the tectonic plates are just puzzle peices and each portion was a standalone experiment ..... ok im out of blasphemous ideas... carry on

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
IMO God is the greatest scientist known and doesnt have to stick to our "known rules"....
Seriously though, that's exactly my point, what you said above, science explains only things that exist in our physical world. In spiritual world where God and Heaven are there's no time, space or anything physical, so all those rules/laws basically become useless. So when someone says it's not possible or ridiculous because I know so much about science, in reality they don't know anything...
God doesn't follow rules humans created, it's other way around...

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Seriously though, that's exactly my point, what you said above, science explains only things that exist in our physical world. In spiritual world where God and Heaven are there's no time, space or anything physical, so all those rules/laws basically become useless. So when someone says it's not possible or ridiculous because I know so much about science, in reality they don't know anything...
God doesn't follow rules humans created, it's other way around...
:clap2: word :thumbsup:

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
evolution is defended because all of the arguments against it are brought upon it by religious nuts, not scientists....crowned one
This is a strawman, and a poor one at that. If you're going to argue against us believers you'd better bring better game than that :p You've presented your opinion as though it somehow discredits what I said. You didn't discuss my point at all.

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
evolution is defended because all of the arguments against it are brought upon it by religious nuts, not scientists....crowned one
This is a strawman, and a poor one at that. If you're going to argue against us believers you'd better bring better game than that You've presented your opinion as though it somehow discredits what I said. You didn't discuss my point at all.
not to mention im sure there hasnt been another single scientist to EVER question the evolutionary theory :rolleyes:

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
not to mention im sure there hasnt been another single scientist to EVER question the evolutionary theory :rolleyes:
He was a scientist until he questioned Almighty Evolution. He subsequently became a religious nut :p

Last edited:

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I want no hand in this particular debate. But I'll just say a few things and then observe from a distance...

1) Stunned amazement: Holy crap! I can't believe there are people here so profoundly ignorant and deranged!

2) Sadness: This really does bode ill for the human race. Well at least for America; to have so many stupid people.

3) Anger: WTF is wrong with these people?! How can they be such idiots?!

4) Stress management: I can't take this, the idea that there could be people so adamantly ignorant of common sense and good reasoning is giving me ulcers. I'm just going to pretend they are just playing a joke. Afterall, no one could be so stupid especially in this day and age.

Anyway, yeah this thread is like a car wreck. It's hideous to look at but I just can't take my eyes off it.

schmoove

schmoove

Awards
I want no hand in this particular debate. But I'll just say a few things and then observe from a distance...

1) Stunned amazement: Holy crap! I can't believe there are people here so profoundly ignorant and deranged!

2) Sadness: This really does bode ill for the human race. Well at least for America; to have so many stupid people.

4) Stress management: I can't take this, the idea that there could be people so adamantly ignorant of common sense and good reasoning is giving me ulcers. I'm just going to pretend they are just playing a joke. Afterall, no one could be so stupid especially in this day and age.

Anyway, yeah this thread is like a car wreck. It's hideous to look at but I just can't take my eyes off it.
Well said Nullifidian. I am thinking many of the same things and share your anger/stress.

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established

You're right. I can't believe people could be so stupid as to believe in something based exclusively on faith :rolleyes:

Re: 2 - You're right again! I'd hate to live in an America where people love and feel accountable to a righteously loving, inerrant, omnipotent power causing them to love one another rather than brook a pointless existence based on the idea that they are a cosmic shart. :rolleyes: I can live with looking ignorant if you can live with being otiose.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You're right. I can't believe people could be so stupid as to believe in something based exclusively on faith :rolleyes:

Re: 2 - You're right again! I'd hate to live in an America where people love and feel accountable to a righteously loving, inerrant, omnipotent power causing them to love one another rather than brook a pointless existence based on the idea that they are a cosmic shart. :rolleyes: I can live with looking ignorant if you can live with being otiose.

I never said who I was talking about. I guess you think you fit the description. You must not have a high intellectual opinion of yourself.

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
I never said who I was talking about. I guess you think you fit the description. You must not have a high intellectual opinion of yourself.
Who were you talking about if you weren't talking about the Christians in this thread?

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
so basically you believe that without some made up omnipotent righteous bodacious god up in the sky looking down and shaking his finger at all of us....you are a cosmic shart with no meaning?

at this point id agree. get some godamn dignity.

i personally do not need to have "faith" (believe in substancless stories without 0 proof or explanation) in order to feel like i have value.

if you arent comfortable with the fact that not everything has an explanation yet, continue to fall back on "god" and "faith" to explain everything for you, but keep it to yourself, and allow those of us with a brain to CONTINUE to PROVE religion wrong and to SHATTER your ESTABLISHED AND INFALLIBLE beliefs with fact and objective observation.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
jomi822, Nullifidian,

If you cannot conduct yourself without name calling you need not post. I hope I make myself clear.

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established

interpreted, i dont want any rebuttles or to back up my veiws i just want a free shot to insult others and their beliefs then go on my merry way.....

its ok nullifidian, your not the first to think us fools bro, the romans would rather listen to their philosiphers and the jews their pharisies and Jesus still died and rose again without their unanimous consent..... faith will be the same yesterday, today and tomorrow and any scientists theory will not stop that or make one waiver.... its funny that a scientist starts his experiment with a hypothosis or theory of something he has no clue to what wil happen but does it anyway cause he belives it may do the suspected thing.. sound similar to faith? some just have more.

thanks for the comments.

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
so basically you believe that without some made up omnipotent righteous bodacious god up in the sky looking down and shaking his finger at all of us....you are a cosmic shart with no meaning?

at this point id agree. get some godamn dignity.

i personally do not need to have "faith" (believe in substancless stories without 0 proof or explanation) in order to feel like i have value.

if you arent comfortable with the fact that not everything has an explanation yet, continue to fall back on "god" and "faith" to explain everything for you, but keep it to yourself, and allow those of us with a brain to CONTINUE to PROVE religion wrong and to SHATTER your ESTABLISHED AND INFALLIBLE beliefs with fact and objective observation.
Hebrews 11
1. Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Please illustrate in a logical manner how your faith differs from ours after having read the verse above.
Even a child can see that if sentient beings evolved from nought only to die and become nonexistent then their being is without necessity. How is that not obvious? :stick:

Curtain 1
"Existence and all governing laws appear spontaneously from nonexistence for no reason. 'Is' appears from 'not'. After an incalculable span of time, 'is' once more becomes 'not'. The end."

Curtain 2
"The one omnipotent Being creates 'is' from 'not' to share in Himself. Unspeakable joy and wonder continue in overabundance for eternity without end. The Beginning. "

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hebrews 11
1. Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Please illustrate in a logical manner how your faith differs from ours after having read the verse above.
Even a child can see that if sentient beings evolved from nought only to die and become nonexistent then their being is without necessity. How is that not obvious? :stick:

Curtain 1
"Existence and all governing laws appear spontaneously from nonexistence for no reason. 'Is' appears from 'not'. After an incalculable span of time, 'is' once more becomes 'not'. The end."

Curtain 2
"The one omnipotent Being creates 'is' from 'not' to share in Himself. Unspeakable joy and wonder continue in overabundance for eternity without end. The Beginning. "

Logicla fallacy: false dilemma
Logical fallacy: straw man

First off you have given two choices when there are more than 2. That's a false dilemma. Second, you have incorrectly described reality as supported by science. You have done so purposefully because your new description is easier for you to shoot down in your mind. However since it is a straw man, it doesn't represent the original argument.

Faith is in fact an example of the logicla fallacy of argument from ignorance. And no, B5150 that isn't an insult, that is a logical analysis of the argument. Argument from ignorance goes as follows:

B does not explain A
Therefore C is true

No evidence for C is ever given. In this instance, the user of the fallacy falls back on C simply because B doesn't provide a complete explaination of A. In reality all they have shown is that B is not sufficient to explain A. They have not shown anything else.

Faith tells those who have to to chalk anything to up god for which they do not have a scientific explaination. Not having a scientific explaination is not proof of anything other than not having enough scinetific data to explain something fully.

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
Faith tells those who have to to chalk anything to up god for which they do not have a scientific explaination. Not having a scientific explaination is not proof of anything other than not having enough scinetific data to explain something fully.
I don't think people believe in God because they don't have scientific explaination for something... There's a lot more to it, but of course you can't possibly open your mind even for a second and intertain the thought about God's existence...

Last edited:
dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't think people believe in God because they don't have scientific explaination for something... There's a lot more to it, but of course you can't possibly open your mind even for a second and intertain the though about God's existence...
Would you open your mind and entertain the idea about the Master GoatSlinky that is the Creator of God and everything that came before?

I mean, just open your mind and let the Goat Slinky fill your heart with the truth BEYOND God.

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
ummm ok this thread is rediculous, its gone from the scientific stand points co-existing with religous beliefs and questioning the time line that both sides present and the conflictions therein to outright demoralizing comments insults and questioning the very existance of God.... this was not the original topic and is just disgusting with the lack of respect shown here for fellow board memembers, arguments can be made without insult or poking fun at ones beliefs with goat comments or calling someone an idiot or of lower intelligence for having faith.....

unsubscribed

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I don't think people believe in God because they don't have scientific explaination for something... There's a lot more to it, but of course you can't possibly open your mind even for a second and intertain the thought about God's existence...
Oh yes, it can be far worse than that. Sometimes people use faith as a justification for ignoring facts.

For example, at one time people used faith to justify saying the earth is flat, despite science proving it is not. At one time people used faith to justify saying the sun revolves around the earth despite science proving it does not. Just as at one time people used faith to justify saying that the earth is 6000 years old despite the fact that science had proved it is much older. Just as at one time people used faith to justify saying all species that are alive today were all created within a week of each other, despite the fact that science has proved that virtually no species existing today existed several million years ago.

In fact, some people will even go so far as to use faith to justify claiming a particular book is infallible and literal in meaning despite the fact that very same book contradicts itself many times over within its own pages.

That case is actually a psychological condition. When someone believes something unquestioningly when that thing is proven inexorably false, it's called "compartmentalized delusion." It's when they want that thing to be true so badly, theu are willing to compeltely deny the truth in favor of their false belief.

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
Yes, it can be true, but I hope you don't refer to every single person who believes in God.

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Logicla fallacy: false dilemma
Logical fallacy: straw man

First off you have given two choices when there are more than 2. That's a false dilemma. Second, you have incorrectly described reality as supported by science. You have done so purposefully because your new description is easier for you to shoot down in your mind. However since it is a straw man, it doesn't represent the original argument.

Faith is in fact an example of the logicla fallacy of argument from ignorance. And no, B5150 that isn't an insult, that is a logical analysis of the argument. Argument from ignorance goes as follows:

B does not explain A
Therefore C is true

No evidence for C is ever given. In this instance, the user of the fallacy falls back on C simply because B doesn't provide a complete explaination of A. In reality all they have shown is that B is not sufficient to explain A. They have not shown anything else.

What you're saying doesn't make any sense. There are ONLY two choices:
1. Improbable, ungoverned accident, or
2. Divine creation.
Either something created everything, or everything poofed into existence from nonexistence. A baby can understand this.

There is no strawman anywhere in my comment. Nowhere! You've obviously failed to grasp the larger than life concept of faith :rolleyes: I know you're not this obtuse. I mentioned faith because I was noting that you take your beliefs on the same faith that I do. That verse is tailor-made for his comment. If you cannot comprehend a fifteen word Bible verse then I've got nothing for you.
You're so off base here. What the crap is A, B and C???

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yes, it can be true, but I hope you don't refer to every single person who believes in God.
No, only the ones who believe in something which is proven false.

Believing in god is perfectly fine. The existance of god is nonfalsifiable. It cannot be proven or disproven. Thus whether you believe or not has absolutely no effect on anything at all.

Saying "I believe in god" or "I don't believe in god" are both meaningless statements in and of themselves.

What you're saying doesn't make any sense. There are ONLY two choices:
1. Improbable, ungoverned accident, or
2. Divine creation.
Either something created everything, or everything poofed into existence from nonexistence. A baby can understand this.
False dilemma and straw man.

Straw man: nothing has shown existance ot be improbable. In fact, it is anything but; quantum physics shows us that the state that we are in now is in fact the MOST likely state.

False dilemma: how about a third possibility. Nothing was ever created. Everything that is always was. The first law of thermodynamics says energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only change state. This is a LAW. Not a theory, not a hypothesis, a LAW. Proven mathematically and experimentally over and over again. It is LAW and FACT. Because of this law, the universe cannot have been created because a creation event would violate the first law of thermodynamics.

Creation is a human invention. In reality, nothing is ever created. Creation never happens and can never happen. Things simply change state. Creation and destruction do not exist. Matter and energy change state from one form to another. That is all and that is what will ever be. No beginning, no end. Just changes in states.

There is no strawman anywhere in my comment. Nowhere!
I already pointed out the straw man.

You've obviously failed to grasp the larger than life concept of faith
Fallacy of the Consequent. You've come upon a conclusion for which the conditions do not support.

I know you're not this obtuse.
Appeal to flattery fallacy

I mentioned faith because I was noting that you take your beliefs on the same faith that I do.
Another straw man. I don't have faith. I believe truth. Faith is defined as follows.

1) believing that which is false
2) believing that which has not been proven
3) believing that which cannot be proven

Believing truth is simply being reasoned and logical. It is not faith. Believing something which is false, has not been proven, or cannot be proven is faith. I do not have faith.

That verse is tailor-made for his comment. If you cannot comprehend a fifteen word Bible verse then I've got nothing for you.
Wow that's quite a few stacked in that little statement. Let's see there's appeal to force fallacy: "if you don't listen to me, I quit." Then there's appeal to tradition fallacy: "the bible is old therefore true." Then there's appeal to authority fallacy "the bible is respected, therefore it is true." Then of course there's the most important one, non sequitor: that passage is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

You're so off base here. What the crap is A, B and C???
Metasyntactical variables representing postulates. When ebgaging in logical debate, it frequently helps to abstract individual points into metasyntactical variables so as to easier derive a proof. If you sue the original words, it just gets messy. Basiclaly what you do is change each point into a letter. Then you replace the form of the statement with the appropriate logical symbols. Once you've done that you first look for basic fallacies. If none are found, you can then use logical rules of deduction and inference to see if the proposed conclusion is correct or incorrect. If incorrect somewhere along the line you will have found where a fallacy occurred.

For some simple debates or arguments, this isn't always necessary. However for very complex proofs, if you don't do it you risk making mistakes.

Last edited:
TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Oh yes, it can be far worse than that. Sometimes people use faith as a justification for ignoring facts.

For example, at one time people used faith to justify saying the earth is flat, despite science proving it is not. At one time people used faith to justify saying the sun revolves around the earth despite science proving it does not. Just as at one time people used faith to justify saying that the earth is 6000 years old despite the fact that science had proved it is much older. Just as at one time people used faith to justify saying all species that are alive today were all created within a week of each other, despite the fact that science has proved that virtually no species existing today existed several million years ago.

In fact, some people will even go so far as to use faith to justify claiming a particular book is infallible and literal in meaning despite the fact that very same book contradicts itself many times over within its own pages.

That case is actually a psychological condition. When someone believes something unquestioningly when that thing is proven inexorably false, it's called "compartmentalized delusion." It's when they want that thing to be true so badly, theu are willing to compeltely deny the truth in favor of their false belief.
Your belief in evolution is based on FAITH! Holy freaking crap! You are casting aspersions at yourself!

You're talking about the Bible in the middle comment. At least be brave enough to name what you're talking about. Enough with this dancing around the subject nonsense. The King James Bible never contradicts itself...ever. The King James Bible is God's inspired, inerrant, divinely preserved Word to mankind. It has NO errors. It IS literally God's inspired, inerrant, preserved Word. It has proven itself time and time again.

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
ummm ok this thread is rediculous, its gone from the scientific stand points co-existing with religous beliefs and questioning the time line that both sides present and the conflictions therein to outright demoralizing comments insults and questioning the very existance of God.... this was not the original topic and is just disgusting with the lack of respect shown here for fellow board memembers, arguments can be made without insult or poking fun at ones beliefs with goat comments or calling someone an idiot or of lower intelligence for having faith.....

unsubscribed
Anyone here who disagrees with me, perhaps finding me rather suited for a straightjacket or a kick in the face, can say anything they want to me. I couldn't care less about another human being's opinion of me (save in regards to my testimony). Call me whatever you want. Disrespect me in any way. What difference does it make?
I don't run this board at all, but I'm just throwing it out there that my feelings are invincible :)

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The King James Bible never contradicts itself...ever. The King James Bible is God's inspired, inerrant, divinely preserved Word to mankind. It has NO errors. It IS literally God's inspired, inerrant, preserved Word. It has proven itself time and time again.
Can you tell everyone in order exactly who Jesus appeared to after his ressurrection. Who exactly was there, where did this all happen, where did he travel, who did he see?

Please make sure it is not contradicted by other verses in the KJ bible.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Your belief in evolution is based on FAITH! Holy freaking crap! You are casting aspersions at yourself!

You're talking about the Bible in the middle comment. At least be brave enough to name what you're talking about. Enough with this dancing around the subject nonsense. The King James Bible never contradicts itself...ever. The King James Bible is God's inspired, inerrant, divinely preserved Word to mankind. It has NO errors. It IS literally God's inspired, inerrant, preserved Word. It has proven itself time and time again.
No, my acceptance of evolution is not absolute because it isn't a complete theory, there are still some gaps. Mostly on the molecular scale of how certain processes are done. However the parts of the theory which are complete are fact. Proven by the scientific method. Thus I accept evolution as an accurate scientific theory. If the gaps are eventually all filled in, it will likely become a scientific law and then I will have even more CONFIDENCE in it. Though I accept it as by far the most acceptable theory on its subject, I do not take it for an absolute. One must always question and analyze. There could always be some form of hole in a logical deduction or mathematical equation somewhere rendering one aspect invalid. Or there could be a flawed assumption upon which a particular component of the theory is based.

No faith required or given.

As for me talking about the bible, I'm actually talking about ANY work written that people hold to be absolute without question.

Before we address the bible specifically, I need to know the following:

1) Which version specifically are you talking about?
2) Do you mean that the literal word is infallible and not some interpretation of it?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
And no, B5150 that isn't an insult, that is a logical analysis of the argument.
An insult is in the eye of the beholder. I take no insult in intelligent contradicting views or opinion.

The name calling is just childish and unacceptable.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
An insult is in the eye of the beholder. I take no insult in intelligent contradicting views or opinion.

Only if you want to completely end any rational discussion, and go back to a state of (symbolic, and sometimes real) war.

If someone feels they were insulted, it is up to both parties to examine what was said/meant and determine if it were, indeed, an insult.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
is just disgusting with the lack of respect shown here for fellow board memembers, arguments can be made without insult or poking fun at ones beliefs with goat comments or calling someone an idiot or of lower intelligence for having faith.....
Thank you poopster.

I'm very close to shutting this down. All you very intelligent people (either side of the debate) need to refrain from the insults. You seem to be smarter than this. Demonstrate it or its closed.

Have a great day.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If someone feels they were insulted, it is up to both parties to examine what was said/meant and determine if it were, indeed, an insult.
The name calling (stupid, idiot, etc.). Someone who finds an opposing view as an insult may need to re-examine themselves. I take no offense in intelligent opposing views. The name calling is the issue. Does this not make sense or am I miscommunicating in some way?

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The name calling (stupid, idiot, etc.). Someone who finds an opposing view as an insult may need to re-examine themselves. I take no offense in intelligent opposing views. The name calling is the issue. Does this not make sense or am I miscommunicating in some way?
No, this makes perfect sense...as long as it is consistent on both sides.

Let me see if I can make this clear:

The assertion was made that a creator was self-evident by statements such as "Do you think the universe just created itself?" Ths implication is pretty clear, that in a certain context of how the universe came to be, it should be selfevident that a creator is responsible and if you fail to see it you are stupid/damned/ignorant/worshipper of evil.

The reason it does not necessarily go the other way is the complete lack of sensory evidence with only a single possibility of cause.

Things can be examined scientifically, once we agree that scientific method is the most effective means to gaining knowledge. If faith were either a more accurate, or at the minimum equallyt accurate, way of gaining knowledge then advancements in technology, medicine, etc would have come from the arena of religions and NOT science.

The problem is that most truly useful solutions to eliminating disease, etc have come from the scientific world (observation of the apparent world, interactions of forces, experiment, etc.) The second someone brings god into any cause, and somehow claims that god CAN intervene and change everything on a whim, then why bother with science in the first place. If your son is sick, then it must be god's will that your son is sick. Prayers would not be able to "change his mind" and any pursuit of a cure on your own would be an affront to god's decision to make him sick.

Bah...too early for this thread....maybe later.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No, this makes perfect sense...as long as it is consistent on both sides.
I'll see to it.
Things can be examined scientifically, once we agree that scientific method is the most effective means to gaining knowledge. If faith were either a more accurate, or at the minimum equallyt accurate, way of gaining knowledge then advancements in technology, medicine, etc would have come from the arena of religions and NOT science.
For "me", faith, fear, worship, praise, etc. of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. It's about my spirit, soul, afterlife and eternity. Knowledge is of the temporal realm. Yes, science and the scientific body of work is responsible for much of all that you mention. Have we deciphered the faith system or lack of for each and every scientist who has been part of or a contributor to the advancements of science. To suggest that one having faith is precluded the capacity to advance science (medicine in this example) is a mistake. You must agree.

I have always understood, comprehend and respected the (a)theist argument. It appears to be sound and reasonable. But as was mentioned before it is the use of temporal evidence that it is found or argued to be such. If I were to believe I were a temporal being it would be sufficient for me. I believe I am a spiritual being presently in a temporal state. The temporal evidence applies for a time and that time will pass for all of us when we are in the dirt. At that point it will be useless to either argument (if and) when we find an afterlife (JMHO)

I do not have advanced debating skills and am outclassed in that capacity. You can easily find holes in my belief system. I find no desire to debate them in the real sense and like you eluded to earlier, as long as you don't come into my home and tell me to denounce my faith I will be content knowing you have a different belief system.

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
No, only the ones who believe in something which is proven false.

Believing in god is perfectly fine. The existance of god is nonfalsifiable. It cannot be proven or disproven. Thus whether you believe or not has absolutely no effect on anything at all.

Saying "I believe in god" or "I don't believe in god" are both meaningless statements in and of themselves.

False dilemma and straw man.

Straw man: nothing has shown existance ot be improbable. In fact, it is anything but; quantum physics shows us that the state that we are in now is in fact the MOST likely state.

False dilemma: how about a third possibility. Nothing was ever created. Everything that is always was. The first law of thermodynamics says energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only change state. This is a LAW. Not a theory, not a hypothesis, a LAW. Proven mathematically and experimentally over and over again. It is LAW and FACT. Because of this law, the universe cannot have been created because a creation event would violate the first law of thermodynamics.

Creation is a human invention. In reality, nothing is ever created. Creation never happens and can never happen. Things simply change state. Creation and destruction do not exist. Matter and energy change state from one form to another. That is all and that is what will ever be. No beginning, no end. Just changes in states.

I already pointed out the straw man.

Fallacy of the Consequent. You've come upon a conclusion for which the conditions do not support.

Appeal to flattery fallacy

Another straw man. I don't have faith. I believe truth. Faith is defined as follows.

Believing truth is simply being reasoned and logical. It is not faith. Believing something which is false, has not been proven, or cannot be proven is faith. I do not have faith.

Wow that's quite a few stacked in that little statement. Let's see there's appeal to force fallacy: "if you don't listen to me, I quit." Then there's appeal to tradition fallacy: "the bible is old therefore true." Then there's appeal to authority fallacy "the bible is respected, therefore it is true." Then of course there's the most important one, non sequitor: that passage is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Metasyntactical variables representing postulates. When ebgaging in logical debate, it frequently helps to abstract individual points into metasyntactical variables so as to easier derive a proof. If you sue the original words, it just gets messy. Basiclaly what you do is change each point into a letter. Then you replace the form of the statement with the appropriate logical symbols. Once you've done that you first look for basic fallacies. If none are found, you can then use logical rules of deduction and inference to see if the proposed conclusion is correct or incorrect. If incorrect somewhere along the line you will have found where a fallacy occurred.

For some simple debates or arguments, this isn't always necessary. However for very complex proofs, if you don't do it you risk making mistakes.
Man! I go to bed and return to find my comment completely shat on.

I'll take it bit by bit.

Show me the math, and I'll show you a marble strawman ;) You tell me if any researcher on the planet would sell a drug that had the chances of working that spontaneous generation of a living cell has of being factual, then we'll see who's justifying his beliefs on faith. I pulled this off the net:

"During the last several decades a number of prestigious scientists have attempted to calculate the mathematical probability of the random-chance origin of life. The results of their calculations reveal the enormity of the dilemma faced by evolutionists.

Dr. Blum estimated the probability of just a single protein arising spontaneously from a primordial soup. Equilibrium and the reversibility of biochemical reactions eventually led Blum to state: "The spontaneous formation of a polypeptide of the size of the smallest known proteins seems beyond all probability. This calculation alone presents serious objection to the idea that all living matter and systems are descended from a single protein molecule which was formed as a ‘chance’ act."

In the 1970’s British astronomer Sir Frederick Hoyle set out to calculate the mathematical probability of the spontaneous origin of life from a primordial soup environment. Applying the laws of chemistry, mathematical probability and thermodynamics, he calculated the odds of the spontaneous generation of the simplest known free-living life form on earth – a bacterium.

Hoyle and his associates knew that the smallest conceivable free-living life form needed at least 2,000 independent functional proteins in order to accomplish cellular metabolism and reproduction. Starting with the hypothetical primordial soup he calculated the probability of the spontaneous generation of just the proteins of a single amoebae. He determined that the probability of such an event is one chance in ten to the 40 thousandth power, i.e., 1 in 1040,000. Prior to this project, Hoyle was a believer in the spontaneous generation of life. This project, however, changed his opinion 180 degrees. Hoyle stated: "The likelihood of the formation of life from inanimate matter is one to a number with 40 thousand naughts [zeros] after it. It is enough to bury Darwin and the whole theory of evolution. There was no primeval soup, neither on this planet nor on any other, and if the beginnings of life were not random they must therefore have been the product of purposeful intelligence." Hoyle also concluded that the probability of the spontaneous generation of a single bacteria, "is about the same as the probability that a tornado sweeping through a junk yard could assemble a 747 from the contents therein."

Hoyle’s calculations may seem impressive, but they don’t even begin to approximate the difficulty of the task. He only calculated the probability of the spontaneous generation of the proteins in the cell. He did not calculate the chance formation of the DNA, RNA, nor the cell wall that holds the contents of the cell together.

Consider this. The odds of winning a state lottery are about 1 chance in ten million. The odds of someone winning the state lottery every single week from age 18 to age 99 is 1 chance in 4.6 x 1029,120. Therefore, the odds of winning the state lottery every week consecutively for eighty years is more likely than the spontaneous generation of just the proteins of an amoebae!

A more detailed estimate for spontaneous generation has been made by Harold Morowitz, a Yale University physicist. Morowitz imagined a broth of living bacteria that was super-heated so that all the complex chemicals were broken down into their basic building blocks. After cooling the mixture, he concluded that the odds of a single bacterium re-assembling by chance is one in 10100,000,000,000. This number is so large that it would require several thousand books just to write it out. To put this number into perspective, it is more likely that an entire extended family would win the state lottery every week for a million years than for a bacterium to form by chance!

In his book, Origins–A Skeptics Guide to the Creation of Life on Earth, Robert Shapiro gives a very realistic illustration of how one might estimate the odds of the spontaneous generation of life. Shapiro begins by allowing one billion years (5 x 1014 minutes) for spontaneous biogenesis. Next he notes that a simple bacterium can make a copy of itself in twenty minutes, but he assumes that the first life was much simpler. So he allows each trial assembly to last one minute, thus providing 5 x 1014 trial assemblies in 1 billion years to make a living bacterium. Next he allows the entire ocean to be used as the reaction chamber. If the entire ocean volume on planet earth were divided into reaction flasks the size of a bacterium we would have 1036 separate reaction flasks. He allows each reaction flask to be filled with all the necessary building blocks of life. Finally, each reaction chamber is allowed to proceed through one-minute trial assemblies for one billion years. The result is that there would be 1051 tries available in 1 billion years. According to Morowitz we need 10100,000,000,000 trial assemblies!

Regarding the probabilities calculated by Morowitz, Robert Shapiro wrote: "The improbability involved in generating even one bacterium is so large that it reduces all considerations of time and space to nothingness. Given such odds, the time until the black holes evaporate and the space to the ends of the universe would make no difference at all. If we were to wait, we would truly be waiting for a miracle."

Regarding the origin of life, Francis Crick, winner of the Nobel Prize in biology, stated in 1982: "An honest man, armed with all the knowledge available to us now, could only state that in some sense, the origin of life appears at the moment to be almost a miracle, so many are the conditions which would have had to have been satisfied to get it going."

Regarding the probability of spontaneous generation, Harvard University biochemist and Nobel Laureate, George Wald stated in 1954: "One has to only contemplate the magnitude of this task to concede that the spontaneous generation of a living organism is impossible. Yet we are here–as a result, I believe, of spontaneous generation." In this incredibly twisted statement, we see that Wald’s dogmatic adherence to the evolutionist’s paradigm is independent of the evidence. Wald’s belief in the "impossible" can only be explained by faith: "…the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Despite these incredible odds and insurmountable problems, spontaneous generation is taught as a fact from grammar school to the university level. In fact, NASA reported to the press in 1991 their opinion that life arose spontaneously not once, but multiple times, because previous attempts were wiped out by cosmic catastrophes!"

So there goes your strawman argument. Don't say it's a strawman again because I just showed you it isn't. If you say it is again then you're just running around in circles. Spontaneous Generation is mathematically improbable and impossible. If it were any other theory that had those odds, science would toss it in the trash and move on, but because it is the Almighty Evolutionary Answer, it is praised and marvelled at for its wisdom.

Sure it's a law...that operates within the boundaries of God's creation. You're talking about it as though God were in heaven saying to Himself, "Sure wish I could have made all that. Too bad My own laws of thermodynamics prevent Me from doing so."
It's so simple:
1. God IS.
2. God made everything, including the laws of thermodynamics. God exists OUTSIDE the laws of thermodynamics. Thus, your argument is moot. Period.

Wow. You just handed me this one.
Faith is defined as the following:
1. A strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny.
2. Complete confidence in a person or plan, etc.
3. An institution to express belief in a divine power.
4. Loyalty or allegiance to a cause or a person.
A synonym of faith is trust.

Now, unless I am completely insane, I don't see any of your definitions in there. All you had to do was look in a dictionary to knock that out. This is too easy.
Since you seem to be either obtuse (meaning, "Slow to learn or understand; lacking intellectual acuity," or "lacking in insight or discernment") or knowingly stubborn, allow me to enlighten you on your beliefs. As far as I can tell, you believe in the theory of evolution as the account for the origin and development of all biological life and heavenly bodies. You seem to be under the mistaken impression that any portion of the theory of evolution has been proven to be immutable fact. This, however, is not the case. Every tenet and portion of the theory of evolution is still theory. None of it is factual. As far as I know, biological evolution hinges upon Lamarckism, and Lamarckism was proven false when all those monkeys whose tails were cut off had babies with normal, long tales. The whole idea of the fossil record offering any tittle of proof for slime becoming man is laughable. Only the truly obstinate continue to hold on to that garbage. I'll be here all day and night if I go on.

This is tiring.
1. "if you don't listen to me, I quit." I never said that. I said that if you couldn't understand that small verse then I couldn't help you. You inferred and inferred incorrectly.
2. "the bible is old therefore true." In no way does my comment rely upon the age of the Bible for anything at all! Is someone writing this mess for you?
3. "the bible is respected, therefore it is true." I never insinuated that the Bible is true because it is respected. The Bible is true because it is God's Word, and God is Truth.
4. "that passage is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand." I just showed you earlier that you believe in evolution in faith just like I believe in the Bible in faith. I can't hold your hand for you through this.

Holy crap, I know how that technique works. I meant, "what is A, what is B, what is C?". Please explain what they represent.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Man! I go to bed and return to find my comment completely shat on.

I'll take it bit by bit.

Show me the math, and I'll show you a marble strawman ;) You tell me if any researcher on the planet would sell a drug that had the chances of working that spontaneous generation of a living cell has of being factual, then we'll see who's justifying his beliefs on faith. I pulled this off the net:

"During the last several decades a number of prestigious scientists have attempted to calculate the mathematical probability of the random-chance origin of life. The results of their calculations reveal the enormity of the dilemma faced by evolutionists.
That right there proves this article bunk. Evolution does not address how life came into existance, it only addresses the EVOLUTION of that life over time. No evolutionist is working on what this article is talking about; it is a completely different field of research. It's tantamount to claiming that microbiologists are having a difficult time modelling hawking radiation.

Dr. Blum estimated the probability of just a single protein arising spontaneously from a primordial soup. Equilibrium and the reversibility of biochemical reactions eventually led Blum to state: "The spontaneous formation of a polypeptide of the size of the smallest known proteins seems beyond all probability. This calculation alone presents serious objection to the idea that all living matter and systems are descended from a single protein molecule which was formed as a ‘chance’ act."

In the 1970’s British astronomer Sir Frederick Hoyle set out to calculate the mathematical probability of the spontaneous origin of life from a primordial soup environment. Applying the laws of chemistry, mathematical probability and thermodynamics, he calculated the odds of the spontaneous generation of the simplest known free-living life form on earth – a bacterium.
Completely 100% flawed experiments because they are based on assumptions about thing of which we currently have no knowledge. You cannot calculate the probability of a particular chemical reaction occurring if you have not first identified the chemical reaction itself.

Hoyle and his associates knew that the smallest conceivable free-living life form needed at least 2,000 independent functional proteins in order to accomplish cellular metabolism and reproduction.
No explaination is given as to why this life form is the smallest "conceivable." This is especially dubious since biologists are considering calling prions "living organisms". Prions, if declared living, would be the smallest and simplest organisms. We know how prions are created. This however does not necessarily means that other forms of life have evolved from prions.

Starting with the hypothetical primordial soup
Which is unknown. Another major flaw.

he calculated the probability of the spontaneous generation of just the proteins of a single amoebae.
Amoebae are EXTREMELY complex organisms. Might as well look for the spontaneous generation of a fish. This experiment is purposefully rigged to fail in order to falsely support his bogus hypothesis.

He determined that the probability of such an event is one chance in ten to the 40 thousandth power, i.e., 1 in 1040,000.
1) How did he go about this supposed calculation?
2) Who cares? Amoebas are complex organisms!

Prior to this project, Hoyle was a believer in the spontaneous generation of life.
100% Irrelevent
Inverse Appeal to Motive fallacy.

This project, however, changed his opinion 180 degrees. Hoyle stated: "The likelihood of the formation of life from inanimate matter is one to a number with 40 thousand naughts [zeros] after it. It is enough to bury Darwin and the whole theory of evolution. There was no primeval soup, neither on this planet nor on any other, and if the beginnings of life were not random they must therefore have been the product of purposeful intelligence." Hoyle also concluded that the probability of the spontaneous generation of a single bacteria, "is about the same as the probability that a tornado sweeping through a junk yard could assemble a 747 from the contents therein."
I'm snipping here. The entire article is about one of the most poorly designed and conceived studies I've ever seen. I've worked in the pharmaceutical industry for a number of years; I know good experiment design when I see it, and even with the scant few details given in this article, one can already see MASSIVE flaws.

*SNIP*

Sure it's a law...that operates within the boundaries of God's creation. You're talking about it as though God were in heaven saying to Himself, "Sure wish I could have made all that. Too bad My own laws of thermodynamics prevent Me from doing so."
It's so simple:
1. God IS.
2. God made everything, including the laws of thermodynamics. God exists OUTSIDE the laws of thermodynamics. Thus, your argument is moot. Period.
Circular reasoning. First you assumed god exists. Then you said, well because god is outside time and existance and the laws of physics, he can do whatever he wants. Thus god created the universe.

Prove god exists before bringing god into any logical debate.

Wow. You just handed me this one.
Faith is defined as the following:
1. A strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny.
2. Complete confidence in a person or plan, etc.
3. An institution to express belief in a divine power.
4. Loyalty or allegiance to a cause or a person.
A synonym of faith is trust.

Now, unless I am completely insane, I don't see any of your definitions in there. All you had to do was look in a dictionary to knock that out. This is too easy.
Vocabular snobbery fallacy aka Figure of Speech fallacy, data snooping fallacy as well. First you've picked one particular definition and ignored all others; choosing a particular dictionary which disagreed with my definition. Also you've picked apart the definition of a particular word without addressing the actual argument.

Since you seem to be either obtuse (meaning, "Slow to learn or understand; lacking intellectual acuity," or "lacking in insight or discernment") or knowingly stubborn,
Ad hominem, mod, please label this abusive. Ad hominems are personal attacks. Personal attacks can go both ways, mods.

allow me to enlighten you on your beliefs. As far as I can tell, you believe in the theory of evolution as the account for the origin and development of all biological life
Wrong. Evolution does not address the generation of life, only how it has evolved from one form to another.

and heavenly bodies.
what??? I don't even know what this is supposed to mean.

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that any portion of the theory of evolution has been proven to be immutable fact.
No, I very explicitly said there are only 2 immutable sciences: logic and math. I did say however that the scientific method, based on logic and math, is very RELIABLE. One can have confidence in a theory proven via the scinetific method but there is ALWAYS chance for error. The more complete a theory, the more confidence one can have in it. One can accept a theory as being the most probably of all explainations, but one can never assume it to be universal truth.

This, however, is not the case. Every tenet and portion of the theory of evolution is still theory. None of it is factual.
Actually you are incorrect in that statement. In order to be considered a theory, much of it must indeed be factual. Evolution is not a hypothesis, it is a theory, which means all aspects of it that have been established have been experimentally and/or mathematically proven. Do not however confuse facts with absolute truths. Scientific fact is not universal truth. Observations are fallible, and thus the only universal truths are math and logic which do not rely on observation of any kind.

As far as I know, biological evolution hinges upon Lamarckism,
No it most definitely does NOT. Evolution hinges upon genetic MUTATION and natural selection. Your children are not a perfect mix of your DNA and your spouse's otherwise all children produced by a given couple would be identical.

and Lamarckism was proven false when all those monkeys whose tails were cut off had babies with normal, long tales.
Lamarckism hasn't been accepted by anyone since the 19th century.

The whole idea of the fossil record offering any tittle of proof for slime becoming man is laughable.
Empty statement with no data, proof, or argument to back it.

Only the truly obstinate continue to hold on to that garbage. I'll be here all day and night if I go on.
Ad hominem fallacy.

All people who believe A are B
where B is an personal insult

Furthermore, a derrogatory term is used to described B in this case. But it is a fallacious tactic. Essentially you are using a derrogatory term to describe a theory, postulate, statement, etc. in order to discredit it. It's a form of ad hominem but directed at a statement or theory as opposed to a person.

This is tiring.
1. "if you don't listen to me, I quit." I never said that. I said that if you couldn't understand that small verse then I couldn't help you. You inferred and inferred incorrectly.
Still the same fallacy. "If you don't agree with my interpretation of that statement, I won't help you." Interesting choice of words also, "help." Help is not only considered a positive and generous word, it also implies the person you are talking to is lacking. It's another thinly veiled ad hominem attack.

2. "the bible is old therefore true." In no way does my comment rely upon the age of the Bible for anything at all! Is someone writing this mess for you?
yes it does, your comment was about a biblical quote.

3. "the bible is respected, therefore it is true." I never insinuated that the Bible is true because it is respected. The Bible is true because it is God's Word, and God is Truth.
Circular reasoning.

A is true because B
B is true because A

In the more specific form: the bible is true because it is god's word. We know it is god's word because the bible says so.

Also, you've assumed god exists without any proof. As I said before, do not bring god into this argument without providing proof of god's existance first.

4. "that passage is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand." I just showed you earlier that you believe in evolution in faith just like I believe in the Bible in faith. I can't hold your hand for you through this.
It's still irrelevent to the topic at hand. You also did no such thing.

Holy crap, I know how that technique works. I meant, "what is A, what is B, what is C?". Please explain what they represent.
As I said, metasyntactical variables. When I used them, did so to show the general form a given fallacy takes. They do not have to mean anything at all. They are placeholders for any given postulate.

EESCHMan

Awards
  • Established
Nullifidian gives me "faith" (heehee) that they're are some rational people around this board...

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Weird. I keep getting notified that people replied, but then I come here and nothing shows up.

EESCHMan

Awards
  • Established
How interesting:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19208580/

an excerpt:

"In addition to its size, Gigantoraptor sported several bird-like features, such as a longer arm and more avian-like leg, not present in its relatives. The scientists say this finding sheds light on theropod (two-legged carnivorous dinosaurs) evolution leading to the emergence of birds"

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
That right there proves this article bunk. Evolution does not address how life came into existance, it only addresses the EVOLUTION of that life over time. No evolutionist is working on what this article is talking about; it is a completely different field of research. It's tantamount to claiming that microbiologists are having a difficult time modelling hawking radiation.
If evolutionists are not studying the origin of life, then who is? This is a sincere question. I thought evolutionists were studying how proteins assembled themselves into complex, living structures.

Completely 100% flawed experiments because they are based on assumptions about thing of which we currently have no knowledge. You cannot calculate the probability of a particular chemical reaction occurring if you have not first identified the chemical reaction itself.
What assumptions? At least they're trying. At least they're experimenting. What would you rather they have done? How can they find the chemical reaction you're referring to if they don't experiment using the means they know?

No explaination is given as to why this life form is the smallest "conceivable." This is especially dubious since biologists are considering calling prions "living organisms". Prions, if declared living, would be the smallest and simplest organisms. We know how prions are created. This however does not necessarily means that other forms of life have evolved from prions.
Who is considering prions living organisms? They don't do a single thing that would classify them as living. Prions don't metabolize, adapt, reproduce, etc. They induce changes in other proteins. They're nothing BUT protein.

Which is unknown. Another major flaw.
They have to use something. And it's not like scientists won't tell you they have a pretty good idea of what the soup may have been like.

Amoebae are EXTREMELY complex organisms. Might as well look for the spontaneous generation of a fish. This experiment is purposefully rigged to fail in order to falsely support his bogus hypothesis.
Read it again; it says the PROTEINS of an amoebae.

1) How did he go about this supposed calculation?
2) Who cares? Amoebas are complex organisms!
1. I don't know; look it up.
2. Again, it said the proteins.

100% Irrelevent
Inverse Appeal to Motive fallacy.
Please use the term fallacy again. I can't wait to read it just once more :D
How is it irrelevant? Whose motive? The article's primary purpose is to illustrate the lunacy of believing in the spontaneous, unassisted generation of life from nonliving substances. To support this motive, they denote that the scientist once believed in the lunacy, however, after having collected the evidence from his experiments, he no longer believes. How is that irrelevant?

Circular reasoning. First you assumed god exists. Then you said, well because god is outside time and existance and the laws of physics, he can do whatever he wants. Thus god created the universe.

Prove god exists before bringing god into any logical debate.
Circular reasoning? What circle? Where? I said that God can do anything He wants because He made everything. Circular reasoning would be saying that, "we date the fossils by the rocks they're found in, then we date the rocks by the fossils they contain." :rolleyes:

You can't prove God exists, just like you can't prove how something can come from nothing on its own, despite not having proven how the laws to govern said thing came from nothing, and despite not having proven how the creation of those laws were governed by laws whose creation cannot be explained because the origination questioning goes on and on forever. I wish I knew some fancy "Appeal to Proffer Proof of an Unprovable Fallacy". "Fallacious Appeal to Fallaciously Circumvent the Topic by Surreptitiously Requesting a known Unprovable."

Logical
Adj.

1. Capable of or reflecting the capability for correct and valid reasoning.
2. Based on known statements or events or conditions.
3. Marked by an orderly, logical, and aesthetically consistent relation of parts.
4. Capable of thinking and expressing yourself in a clear and consistent manner.

Which of the following conditions best reflects a nature characteristic of the WordWeb definitions noted above:

1. A complex, orderly arrangement of sophisticated substances assembled themselves randomly and without any governing assistance whatsoever, or
2. A higher intelligence assembled said substances.

Vocabular snobbery fallacy aka Figure of Speech fallacy, data snooping fallacy as well. First you've picked one particular definition and ignored all others; choosing a particular dictionary which disagreed with my definition. Also you've picked apart the definition of a particular word without addressing the actual argument.
Okay, but I can say the same thing about you using a definition! Fallacy, fallacy, fallacy! Vocabular snobbery fallacy! I didn't know it could be considered snobbish to QUOTE A DEFINITION DIRECTLY FROM A DICTIONARY.
Okay, taking Vocabular Snobbery first, I must ask what you mean by that? You quoted several definitions, none of which appear in a dictionary as you have them listed. You are guilty of a Logical Positivism Fallacy, which you can read about at Wikipedia.

This is also from Wikipedia:
"Many noted philosophers and theologians have espoused the idea that faith is the basis of all knowledge. One example is St. Augustine of Hippo. Known as one of his key contributions to philosophy, the idea of "faith seeking understanding" was set forth by St. Augustine in his statement "Crede, ut intelligas" ("Believe in order that you may understand"). This statement extends beyond the sphere of religion to encompass the totality of knowledge. In essence, faith must be present in order to know anything. In other words, one must assume, believe, or have faith in the credibility of a person, place, thing, or idea in order to have a basis for knowledge."

And Data Snooping Fallacy? Holy crap, are you serious? Where do you get this from?! I looked up an impartial definition. Since when is knowledge not allowed to be referenced in a discussion? Which definition did I choose? I posted four, speaking later about none of them in particular. I addressed the argument by posting the definition, but I suppose that got lost in translation.

Ad hominem, mod, please label this abusive. Ad hominems are personal attacks. Personal attacks can go both ways, mods.
You're requesting to have something I said labeled abusive? Did I explicitly say that you were either,
A. Obtuse, or
B. Stubborn?
I insinuated that you appeared to be either of those two things, never labeling you either one. And neither of them are slanderous. 'Obtuse' simply states that you may be slowing in understanding my point (any negative connotations are yours to infer), and 'stubborn' means that you are willfully ignoring what you know to be true, simply for the sake of being argumentative. I did not insult you. However, should your feelings have been hurt by what I said, I humbly apologize. If my intent was to cast denigrations I would have chosen more choice fruits. :D

Wrong. Evolution does not address the generation of life, only how it has evolved from one form to another.
Again, I don't see how this can be true. Evolution addresses the development of life starting with the building blocks, no?

what??? I don't even know what this is supposed to mean.
Planets and stars, mainly.

No, I very explicitly said there are only 2 immutable sciences: logic and math. I did say however that the scientific method, based on logic and math, is very RELIABLE. One can have confidence in a theory proven via the scinetific method but there is ALWAYS chance for error. The more complete a theory, the more confidence one can have in it. One can accept a theory as being the most probably of all explainations, but one can never assume it to be universal truth.
How can something be known to be immutable when the inquirer is so vastly limited in his understanding? Isn't it all relative? We are only human and can only know so much, and anything that we think we know we know assumptively. I did not CREATE math, therefore I can only attempt and appear to understand it. Thus, anything I say about math is subject to being flawed because I am incapable of perfection.

Actually you are incorrect in that statement. In order to be considered a theory, much of it must indeed be factual. Evolution is not a hypothesis, it is a theory, which means all aspects of it that have been established have been experimentally and/or mathematically proven. Do not however confuse facts with absolute truths. Scientific fact is not universal truth. Observations are fallible, and thus the only universal truths are math and logic which do not rely on observation of any kind.
A theory is, "a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world; an organized system of accepted knowledge that applies in a variety of circumstances to explain a specific set of phenomena." What part of macroevolution is "well-substantiated"? And I hope you're not insinuating that evolution is a fact, because if you are you need to tell me how macroevolution is any of the following:
1. A statement or assertion of verified information about something that is the case or has happened.
2. An event known to have happened or something known to have existed.
3. A concept whose truth can be proved.
4. A piece of information about circumstances that exist or events that have occurred.

No it most definitely does NOT. Evolution hinges upon genetic MUTATION and natural selection. Your children are not a perfect mix of your DNA and your spouse's otherwise all children produced by a given couple would be identical.
Okay, so Lamarckism is used in Memetics and no longer used in evolutionary discussion; I'll give you that.

Empty statement with no data, proof, or argument to back it.
Why is the onus suddenly ALL on me. Prove evolution to me using the fossil record.

Ad hominem fallacy.

All people who believe A are B
where B is an personal insult

Furthermore, a derrogatory term is used to described B in this case. But it is a fallacious tactic. Essentially you are using a derrogatory term to describe a theory, postulate, statement, etc. in order to discredit it. It's a form of ad hominem but directed at a statement or theory as opposed to a person.
You're right; I used that term in order to demonstrate the ludiocrasy of believing in the fossil record as tangible proof of macroevolution. I don't care. Instead of talking about the fossil record, you're telling me I made a booboo by casting an aspersion. Discrediting me by showing me ample transitional forms from the fossil record is a much better tactic to show that I don't know what I'm talking about, or you can just keep labeling everything I say as either 'this fallacy' or 'that fallacy'.

Still the same fallacy. "If you don't agree with my interpretation of that statement, I won't help you." Interesting choice of words also, "help." Help is not only considered a positive and generous word, it also implies the person you are talking to is lacking. It's another thinly veiled ad hominem attack.
Not as purposely thin as you think. ;)

yes it does, your comment was about a biblical quote.
This is ridiculous. My comment said NOT ONE THING ABOUT THE AGE OF THE BIBLE. If it did, show me. I'll give you every single thing I own right now if you can take my one comment and show me how I insinuated that the age of the Bible proves my comment to be true.

Circular reasoning.

A is true because B
B is true because A

In the more specific form: the bible is true because it is god's word. We know it is god's word because the bible says so.

Also, you've assumed god exists without any proof. As I said before, do not bring god into this argument without providing proof of god's existance first.
My personal interpretation:
A. The Bible is true is true because
B. The Bible is God's Word.
B. The Bible is God's Word is true because
C. It has proven Itself to be so.

No circle.

It's still irrelevent to the topic at hand. You also did no such thing.
Yes I did. Look again.

As I said, metasyntactical variables. When I used them, did so to show the general form a given fallacy takes. They do not have to mean anything at all. They are placeholders for any given postulate.
Well that makes it pretty easy to argue anything in your favor, doesn't it? Fallacy of the Unassigned and Unimpartially Insinuated Metasyntactical Variables.

You're killin' me, Smalls, killin' me.

Last edited:
dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Weird. I keep getting notified that people replied, but then I come here and nothing shows up.
You cannot prove that an invisible poster did not make an invisible post.

I believe in the invisible Board Supporter.

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established

I don't make the rules. I'm nobody around here. I don't get to say what goes and what doesn't, but as I said before I don't care at all if insults are hurled at me. I'd rather be endlessly insulted than the thread be closed.

Either way, I love you, B! I haven't called you in five years; I should do that, shouldn't I?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't make the rules. I'm nobody around here. I don't get to say what goes and what doesn't, but as I said before I don't care at all if insults are hurled at me. I'd rather be endlessly insulted than the thread be closed.
At the end of the day, both of you guys are much smarter than I (in this context ;) ) and I really don't care to or try to keep up with the content of every post. You both present your case and both rip each others apart. This seems to be an endless routine. I do not have the capacity to decipher fact from fallacy in either position. Your discussion and debate skill are far over my head.

Speaking for myself, IMHO; message boards are a virtual mine field and not a virtual mission filed.

Again speaking for myself, IMHO; for some ungodly reason (pun intended) it seems man has the intellectual capacity to reason their existence worthless.

(pay attention...I'm politely poking at both of you ;) )

At the end of the day I can't make either of you guys change your passion and position on the matter. If it has declined to the point of 'ad hominems' or 'name calling', I challenge both parties to consider walking away from the debate. I can moderate, but then where and when do I then cross the line and impose censorship? I can't do that. I am obligated to display neutrality. Its part of my job. I don't literally run the board but I am here to make sure the behaviors and conduct of the membership is conducive to a amiable community.

Either way, I love you, B! I haven't called you in five years; I should do that, shouldn't I?
It has not been that long. Quite honestly it goes both ways. So I am just as guilty.

The Yankee game is on :)

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
At the end of the day, both of you guys are much smarter than I (in this context ;) ) and I really don't care to or try to keep up with the content of every post. You both present your case and both rip each others apart. This seems to be an endless routine. I do not have the capacity to decipher fact from fallacy in either position. Your discussion and debate skill are far over my head.

Speaking for myself, IMHO; message boards are a virtual mine field and not a virtual mission filed.

Again speaking for myself, IMHO; for some ungodly reason (pun intended) it seems man has the intellectual capacity to reason their existence worthless.

(pay attention...I'm politely poking at both of you ;) )

At the end of the day I can't make either of you guys change your passion and position on the matter. If it has declined to the point of 'ad hominems' or 'name calling', I challenge both parties to consider walking away from the debate. I can moderate, but then where and when do I then cross the line and impose censorship? I can't do that. I am obligated to display neutrality. Its part of my job. I don't literally run the board but I am here to make sure the behaviors and conduct of the membership is conducive to a amiable community.

It has not been that long. Quite honestly it goes both ways. So I am just as guilty.

The Yankee game is on shortly :)
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to B5150 again.
I'm all for walking. You said it best when you said "mine field".

Mark 4
1 And he began again to teach by the sea side: and there was gathered unto him a great multitude, so that he entered into a ship, and sat in the sea; and the whole multitude was by the sea on the land.

2 And he taught them many things by parables, and said unto them in his doctrine,

3 Hearken; Behold, there went out a sower to sow:

4 And it came to pass, as he sowed, some fell by the way side, and the fowls of the air came and devoured it up.

5 And some fell on stony ground, where it had not much earth; and immediately it sprang up, because it had no depth of earth:

6 But when the sun was up, it was scorched; and because it had no root, it withered away.

7 And some fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up, and choked it, and it yielded no fruit.

8 And other fell on good ground, and did yield fruit that sprang up and increased; and brought forth, some thirty, and some sixty, and some an hundred.

9 And he said unto them, He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

10 And when he was alone, they that were about him with the twelve asked of him the parable.

11 And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables:

12 That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and their sins should be forgiven them.

13 And he said unto them, Know ye not this parable? and how then will ye know all parables?

14 The sower soweth the word.

15 And these are they by the way side, where the word is sown; but when they have heard, Satan cometh immediately, and taketh away the word that was sown in their hearts.

16 And these are they likewise which are sown on stony ground; who, when they have heard the word, immediately receive it with gladness;

17 And have no root in themselves, and so endure but for a time: afterward, when affliction or persecution ariseth for the word's sake, immediately they are offended.

18 And these are they which are sown among thorns; such as hear the word,

19 And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful.

20 And these are they which are sown on good ground; such as hear the word, and receive it, and bring forth fruit, some thirtyfold, some sixty, and some an hundred.

The seed is sown :) It may go both ways, but that doesn't matter to me. I love you and miss you, brother. If I don't see you here, I'll see you there ;)

Sorry for the mushy stuff :trout:

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established

No circle.

[/I]
if this isnt circular reasoning at its finest, than i dont know what is.:think:

I just dont understand how some people cant come to a common ground and believe in the that no one really knows anything for sure, for a FACT. being extreme in anything in life whether it be politics (extreme leftist, etc...) or believing in god (as pure evolution or "creationists" literally) just makes you ignorant. Ignorancy is "the choice to not act or behave in accordance with regard to certain information in order to suit ones own needs or beliefs." To blindly follow any belief, dream or goal could be considered stupidity. As some have stated before, it is imperative to consider all information, views and opinions unbiasly in order to form an educated view on ANY matter at hand.

im not going to pretend that i know alot about this subject but i will say that being able to admit that a person doesnt know everything is just as empowering because when a person thinks that they know everything, they often do not accept any other reasoning and that in itself is dangerous.

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
im not going to pretend that i know alot about this subject but i will say that being able to admit that a person doesnt know everything is just as empowering because when a person thinks that they know everything often do not accept any other reasoning and that in itself is dangerous.
Exactly!:thumbsup:

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If evolutionists are not studying the origin of life, then who is? This is a sincere question. I thought evolutionists were studying how proteins assembled themselves into complex, living structures.
Various biochemists are studying the origins of life. Evolutionists are not because the origin of life is not a part fo evolution. Evolution only addresses how life, already formed, changes from one generation to the next.

What assumptions? At least they're trying. At least they're experimenting. What would you rather they have done? How can they find the chemical reaction you're referring to if they don't experiment using the means they know?
The problem is they've made probability calculations. You cannot make a propability calculation without actually knowing the circumstances under which a particular thing occurs.

Who is considering prions living organisms? They don't do a single thing that would classify them as living. Prions don't metabolize, adapt, reproduce, etc. They induce changes in other proteins. They're nothing BUT protein.
Actually they do multiply. Prions are capable of modifying existing proteins in such a ways that the modified protein causes other proteins it comes in contact with to spread. This is a form of reproduction.

The thing is, one of the most important things that you seem to completely failto understand is that "life" is an arbitrary term that HUMANS have defined. It's a construct. Life is whatever we've defined it to be.

They have to use something. And it's not like scientists won't tell you they have a pretty good idea of what the soup may have been like.
There are a myriad of theories of what the soup might have been like or even if there WAS a soup. We've discovered life in some very strange locations. Locations previously thought impossible to harbor life. So picking a theoretical primordial soup and trying to spontaneously generate life but failing only proves one thing: either your conditions or your methods are wrong.

Read it again; it says the PROTEINS of an amoebae.
yeah and you might as well use the PROTEINS of a human. Amoebaes are complex organisms with complex proteins, most of which are created by themselves. A subset of the proteins they are made up of can also be made from simpler life forms. And the same is true and so on and so one the lower you go down the chain. I doubt we have found the "simplest life form".

1. I don't know; look it up.
2. Again, it said the proteins.
And again, the trying to spontaneously generate the proteins of an Amoeba is tantamount to trying to spontaneously generate the proteins of an octopus.

Please use the term fallacy again. I can't wait to read it just once more :D
If you don't like it, stop making fallacious arguments.
How is it irrelevant? Whose motive?
The article said "he was a believer in spontaneous generation until this" in an attempt to fallaciously give more credit to the claim. It was an inverse appeal to motive. Appeal to Motive is of the form:

A makes claim B
A is biased
therefore B is false

This took the form:

A now makes claim B
A was biased against B
therefore B must be true

The article's primary purpose is the illustrate the lunacy of believing in the spontaneous generation of life. To support this motive, they denote that the scientist once believed in the lunacy; however, after having collected the evidence from his experiments, he no longer believes. How is that irrelevant?
As I said, Inverse appeal to motive.

Circular reasoning? What circle? Where? I said that God can do anything He wants because He made everything. Circular reasoning would be saying that, "we date the fossils by the rocks they're found in, then we date the rocks by the fossils they contain."
You're right it wasn't Circular reasoning because you didn't use anything to justify god's existance. Thus this was actually an Argument from Ignorance Fallacy:
A is fact
B cannot explain A
therefore C
In your argument you can replace the word "god" with "magic", "super space gnomes", "the invisible pink unicorn", or any other supernatural fictitious force or being and it would carry the exact same weight.

You can't prove God exists,
Correct, which is why god has no place in any logical argument. Any invocation of god or any other unproveable concept is an Argument from Ignorance fallacy.
just like you can't prove how something can come from nothing on its own,
Actually according to the first law of thermodynamics, you can't get something from nothing. You can't logically prove it, but if you hold the laws of thermodynamics to be acceptably accurate then you can in fact say you can have confidence that you cannot create something from nothing.
despite not having proven how the laws to govern said thing came from nothing
The laws of physics didn't come from nothing, they always existed.
, and despite not having proven how the creation of those laws
The laws of physics were never created
were governed by laws whose creation cannot be explained
There was no creation
because the origination questioning goes on and on forever.
No it doesn't. Existance goes on forever and ever. The orgination question has a simple answer: "there was no origin"
I wish I knew some fancy "Appeal to Proffer Proof of an Unprovable Fallacy". "Fallacious Appeal to Fallaciously Circumvent the Topic by Surreptitiously Requesting a known Unprovable."
Filler. Funny stuff though.
Logical
Adj.

1. Capable of or reflecting the capability for correct and valid reasoning.
2. Based on known statements or events or conditions.
3. Marked by an orderly, logical, and aesthetically consistent relation of parts.
4. Capable of thinking and expressing yourself in a clear and consistent manner.
Which of the following conditions best reflects a nature characteristic of the WordWeb definitions noted above:
1. A complex, orderly arrangement of sophisticated substances assembled themselves randomly and without any governing assistance whatsoever, or
2. A higher intelligence assembled said substances.
Oooo, you got a couple there.

1) Straw man.

"A complex, orderly arrangement of sophisticated substances assembled themselves randomly and without any governing assistance whatsoever"

That's a straw man. No one is claiming that.

2) False dilemma

Once again you pose 2 possibilities when there are many.

3) Figure of Speech fallacy

Innappropriate application of the term "logical".

Okay, well let me say the same thing about you using a definition! Fallacy, fallacy, fallacy! Vocabular snobbery fallacy! I didn't know it could be considered snobbish to QUOTE A DEFINITION DIRECTLY FROM A DICTIONARY.
The snobbery is the fact that you picked on the definition of the word rather than address the actual issue at hand.

Okay, taking Vocabular Snobbery first, I must ask what you mean by that? You quoted several similar definitions, none of which appear in a dictionary. You are guilty of a Logical Positivism Fallacy, which you can read about at Wikipedia.
No I'm not because I don't hold scientific fact to be universal truth. There are only 2 universal truths: logic and math. Science is based on observations which are ultimately fallible. As such, at most one can have very high confidence but one can never actually "know" when it comes to science.

*SNIPPED the rest of Logical Positivism*

And Data Snooping Fallacy? Holy crap, are you serious? Where do you get this from?! I looked up an impartial definition. Since when is knowledge not allowed to be referenced in a discussion? Which definition did I choose? I posted four, speaking later about none of them. I addressed the argument by posting the definition, but I suppose that got lost in translation.
You took the first dictionary definition that didn't fit the one I gave. I can find you at least 50 different definitions of "faith" from many different dictionaries. In any case, it doesn't even matter because when asking for the definition of a word, all that is being asked is a decrease in ambiguity. I gave my definition, therefore ambuiguity has been removed. You changed the definition to change your meaning. This is a form of "Figure of Speech Fallacy" in fact. It even borders on Amphibology.

You're requesting to have something I said labeled abusive? Did I explicitly say that you were either,
A. Obtuse, or
B. Stubborn?
I insinuated that you appeared to be either of those two things, never labeling you either one. And neither of them are slanderous. 'Obtuse' simply states that you may be slowing in understanding my point
Obtuse is an insult

(any negative connotations are yours to infer), and 'stubborn' means that you are willfully ignoring what you know to be true, simply for the sake of being argumentative. I did not insult you. However, should your feelings have been hurt by what I said, I humbly apologize. If my intent was to cast denigrations I would have chosen more choice fruits.
Apology accepted, please refrain from ad hominem in the future.

Again, I don't see how this can be true. Evolution addresses the development of life starting with the building blocks, no?
No. Evolution only addresses how life changes over time, not how it was formed.
Planets and stars, mainly.
You're looking for astrophysics then, not evolution.
How can something be known to be immutable when the inquirer is so vastly limited in his understanding? We are only human and can only know so much. And anything that we think we know we know by assumptions. I did not CREATE math, therefore I can only appear to understand it.
No one created math. Math does not exist based on observations. No components of mathematics are based on anything fallible thus it is infallible. Same with logic. Logic is absolute as is math. Neither relies on a phrase of reference, or even for anything to exist.
Thus, anything I say about math is subject to being flawed because I am incapable of perfection.
Math and logic are universal truths that are not rooted in observations. 1 will always be 1. 2 will always be 2. 1 + 2 will always be 3. They are defined as such and thus always are.
A theory is, "a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world; an organized system of accepted knowledge that applies in a variety of circumstances to explain a specific set of phenomena."
Thats the common use definition. That is not how "theory" as a scientific term is defined. Just as "heat" and "temperature" mena something different in thermodynamics than they do in everyday use.
What part of macroevolution is "well-substantiated"? And I hope you're not insinuating that evolution is a fact, because if you are you need to tell me how macroevolution is any of the following:
1. A statement or assertion of verified information about something that is the case or has happened.
Yep, it's number 1. Macroevolution has happened.
2. An event known to have happened or something known to have existed.
Cool it fits definition too. Yes macroevolution is known to have happened.
3. A concept whose truth can be proved.
Yes it has been proven to have occurred and proven it does occur. We even have a very good idea of the "how." What we don't have is perfect precision of the "how" part of it.
4. A piece of information about circumstances that exist or events that have occurred.
Yep, that too. Cool it fits every definition.
Okay, so Lamarckism is used in Memetics and no longer used in evolutionary discussion; I'll give you that.

Why is the onus suddenly ALL on me. Prove evolution to me using the fossil record.
I'm not an evolutionist. I could point you to some texts on the subject though. A lot of the biochem stuff goes right over my head unfortunately. I cna however read studies and findings and from having worked in pharmaceuticals for years I'm a pretty good judge of how well a trial was designed and how appropriate the conclusions are based on the trial design.
Anyway, the onus is on YOU when it comes to saying god created anything. You could completely disprove evolution and it still wouldn't do a single thing towards proving god did anything.
You're right; I used that term in order to demonstrate the ludiocrasy of believing in the fossil record as tangible proof of macroevolution.
No one is saying the fossil record alone is proof of anything. It's evidence used in conjunction with other evidence, proven chemical reactions, known biologicla processes, etc. in order to form a proof. it's just a tiny piece of a very large puzzle.

I don't care. Instead of talking about the fossil record, you're telling me I made a booboo by casting an aspersion. Discrediting me by showing me ample transitional forms from the fossil record is a much better tactic
Not really. You're relying much more on fossils than any scientist does. Fossils only show us specific examples. They help fill in the blanks of how certain creatures evolved but aren't necessary for the overall theory of evolution. As for the frequency of fossils, they are RARE. EXTREMELY RARE. The circumstances under which a fossil is created are like powerball odds rare. Worse.

to show that I don't know what I'm talking about, or you can just keep labeling everything I say as either 'this fallacy' or 'that fallacy'.
Stop making fallacious arguments then. Don't complain to me just because you haven't been very good at forming logical arguments.

Not as purposely thin as you think. ;)
So you admit it was a purposeful attack. You're ethics in this debate are showing thinner than your veiling on your ad hominems then.

This is ridiculous. My comment said NOT ONE THING ABOUT THE AGE OF THE BIBLE. If it did, show me. I'll give you every single thing I own right now if you can take my one comment and show me how I insinuated that the age of the Bible proves my comment to be true.
Ok, I'll give you that. I made an assumption regarding your psychology. It was fallacious because I dont' know your history.
Doesn't change the fact that you used the bible though.

Please prove C before making this argument. Otherwise this is another argument from ignorance.
btw, you have 2 "B"s

No circle.
Aparently no circle, instead just another argument from ignorance.

Yes I did. Look again.
Argumentum ad Nauseum fallacy. Repeating it doesn't make it true. You didn't prove it the first time, just syaing it over again doesn't make it correct.

Well that makes it pretty easy to argue anything in your favor, doesn't it? Fallacy of the Unassigned and Unimpartially Insinuated Metasyntactical Variables.
You're killin' me, Smalls, killin' me.
Not really, since using metasyntactical variables without a translation means absolutely nothing. It only has meaning after you replace the variable with their given postulates.

So let's take circular reasoning for exmaple.

A is true because of B
B is true because of A

In and of itself all that dictates is form. It doesn't refer to any specific argument. However if you replace A with "the bible" and B with "god" you get something like this

the bible is true because the god says so
god is true because the bible says so

Or in common use language:

The bible is infallible because it is the word of god
We know it is the word of god because the bible says so

Sometimes it can be difficult to identify the form an argument takes, that's why it is handy to abstract each piece into a metasyntactical variable.