Diet During Physical Therapy

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Basically I'm wondering what everyone thinks about diet while doing physical therapy for an injury. We know we're not going to gain strength during a cut, so could my ketogenic IF diet be holding up my progress in physical therapy?

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Basically I'm wondering what everyone thinks about diet while doing physical therapy for an injury. We know we're not going to gain strength during a cut, so could my ketogenic IF diet be holding up my progress in physical therapy?
It's a diet and not your lifestyle correct? You should be eating for recovery not worrying about if your staying in Keto or not.

Honestly you won't find much research pointing either way but I would just eat and recovery. Sleeping and resting fully is another huge point but that's for another time.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It's a diet and not your lifestyle correct? You should be eating for recovery not worrying about if your staying in Keto or not.

Honestly you won't find much research pointing either way but I would just eat and recovery. Sleeping and resting fully is another huge point but that's for another time.
Well, the reason for keto and IF was also because I was diagnosed with sarcoidosis recently and there's nothing better for inflammation, in my opinion.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Well, the reason for keto and IF was also because I was diagnosed with sarcoidosis recently and there's nothing better for inflammation, in my opinion.
Keto has never been a fan favorite of mine just because of the limitations associated with it. IF does indeed seem to work for many but I eat constantly throughout the day. It's insane the amount of food I eat. Honestly I'd highly recommend meeting with a Registered Dietician to discuss better eating alternatives and ways to work them into your life. Insurance should actually cover that and your doctor shouldn't have an issue prescribing it. I had a similar consult and got more out of it than I could have ever thought. Sometimes that outside perspective can really do wonders to set things right.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Keto and IF are just preferences. Personally, I am not a fan of keto, but if you like it and can function, keep it. Same thing with IF, if it fits your lifestyle, keep it.

In terms of calories, I would eat right at your TDEE and I would also keep protein high, 1.25-1.5 grams. It is not so much to retain your muscle, but more or less to help you recovery. If you have an injury, or are recovery from a surgery, your body is using energy to help your body heal. Take it from someone that had a heart transplant and recovered extremely fast. Keep your cals up and protein up. Your body needs it.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Keto and IF are just preferences. Personally, I am not a fan of keto, but if you like it and can function, keep it. Same thing with IF, if it fits your lifestyle, keep it.

In terms of calories, I would eat right at your TDEE and I would also keep protein high, 1.25-1.5 grams. It is not so much to retain your muscle, but more or less to help you recovery. If you have an injury, or are recovery from a surgery, your body is using energy to help your body heal. Take it from someone that had a heart transplant and recovered extremely fast. Keep your cals up and protein up. Your body needs it.
That might be why I'm not recovering. I've been dieting and losing fat throughout the recovery and it's been so slow. I'll increase the kcal and protein and stop worrying so much about body composition at this moment. Thanks.