AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have searched and seen a split in the past of how one should eat during a deload. I have seen one should drop calories to maintenance or keep them slightly above. Keeping them a little higher seems logical since one is still training, albeit lighter, and one would want their body to recover from all of the past training. Just looking for some updated opinions or literature on this.

Also, I use intra workout carbs. If I should keep my calories the same as I normally do, slightly elevated, would you get rid of the intra workout carbs and place those carbs elsewhere since training won't be as intense?

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I have searched and seen a split in the past of how one should eat during a deload. I have seen one should drop calories to maintenance or keep them slightly above. Keeping them a little higher seems logical since one is still training, albeit lighter, and one would want their body to recover from all of the past training. Just looking for some updated opinions or literature on this.

Also, I use intra workout carbs. If I should keep my calories the same as I normally do, slightly elevated, would you get rid of the intra workout carbs and place those carbs elsewhere since training won't be as intense?
Interesting thread so I’m in for opinions.

Personally I’d actually keep the intra workout carbs but reduce carbs elsewhere.

Even lighter training should still ultilise the infra carb source but in theory you won’t be depleting glycogen stores as much so could reduce elsewhere (I’m working on the assumption your looking to avoid any fat gain during the deload - that would be my aim anyway).....

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Interesting thread so I’m in for opinions.

Personally I’d actually keep the intra workout carbs but reduce carbs elsewhere.

Even lighter training should still ultilise the infra carb source but in theory you won’t be depleting glycogen stores as much so could reduce elsewhere (I’m working on the assumption your looking to avoid any fat gain during the deload - that would be my aim anyway).....
I left cals the same, but left out the intra carbs. I think I will continue with this for the week.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For a deload or lighter training which i think is a good idea from time to time, Id keep calories on the lower side because you wont really build any muscle , so might as well take advantage and stay lean. If your fat you could use it for a cut, but really you need to be staying relatively lean year round.

This way when its over you can up your calories, and training poundages and grow

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I usually cut calories down 300-500 on REST DAYS, and do the same during my DELOAD week. Started doing this a few cycles (531) ago. Seems to be working pretty well, to avoid any increases in body fat. While still gaining weight (slowly) ,hitting my rep goals, and progressing in assistance work.

Good luck!

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I left cals the same, but left out the intra carbs. I think I will continue with this for the week.
This is how I do it. I keep my nutrition the same and take out my intra carbs (which is about 50g of carbs) during deloads. This puts my overall calorie intake a bit lower, but I don't see a need in consuming as much fuel if I'm not burning it. I still come back feeling better and stronger after a deload, even though my calories are reduced slightly during that week.