Deadlift vs Straight Leg Deadlift?

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
So, I'm a bit confused.

I'm following a workout routine by Mark McManus. He has Deadlift on the Back day and Straight Leg Deadlift on the Leg day.

But a quick search online SEEMS to suggest Straight Leg Deadlift is less for the back and more for the hamstrings.

Side Info:
I'm 55, out of shape, and lifting to lose weight and look reasonably good. Not for body building or sports or contests or anything like that.

Also, I pulled my hamstring several years ago and I don't know how much I can rely on it.
-----

Can any of you experts set me straight on this?

Thanks!

flexdaddyraf

flexdaddyraf

Awards
Yes stiff leg deads are more commonly used for leg days because it puts a lot more emphasis on the hamstrings

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
Yeah stiff legs are glute/ham dominant. Usually prescribed with lighter weight than you'd pull on a conventional deadlift because you need to control it more and really focus on squeezing the hams to bring it up. Not sure how bad your tear was or if still bothers you. An effective alternative could be single leg stiff leg deads; less weight required due to controlling balance and still focusing on contractions.

flexdaddyraf

flexdaddyraf

Awards
Yea it's all about the tension another alternative is using bands it's give it's a nice tension and you don't have to worry about the weights the bands give it a good burn

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
Not sure how bad your tear was or if still bothers you.
I don't think I actually tore anything. But, it was painful enough that I couldn't do leg exercises for while.

My first ham injury was sprinting on a treadmill. After several months, I was feeling normal again, so I started doing ham exercises again. Everything was fine and I was hitting new PRs every week or two. Then one day during a new PR on squat, I felt my ham pull again. Fortunately, I was squatting with a pin machine and a bench under my butt. I sat down before the ham could suffer too much damage. But ever since then, I've had to be extra cautious.

Some months after the pull while squatting, I was feeling strong but pulled it again while rushing to catch a frisbee. I've been gun shy with my hamstrings ever since.

But there's no pain or discomfort, currently. I DO notice it WARNING me if I run too fast, though. So, I haven't done any sprints in years.

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
Yea it's all about the tension another alternative is using bands it's give it's a nice tension and you don't have to worry about the weights the bands give it a good burn
I'm not picturing bands with a deadlift. Can you describe it (or link to a video)?

flexdaddyraf

flexdaddyraf

Awards
Yes let me find the vid and it for the the stiff leg deadlifts I've seen a few bodybuilders do it as a superset

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
So, I've been doing a bit of YouTube research and I'm still not completely sure I fully understand the difference between a normal DL and a straight leg DL.

As best as I can tell, with a normal DL, I bend my legs almost as if I were doing a squat, but with my back also bent (slightly arched, butt out, head neutral looking mostly straight ahead).

A straight leg DL has a much less bend in the leg (though the recommendation seems to be to NOT lock the knees).

Other than that, the mechanics appear to be very similar.

Have I got any of that wrong?

flexdaddyraf

flexdaddyraf

Awards
It won't let me post the link but search up Dallas mcarvers leg training on YouTube my muscular development he's wearing green leggings and skip to the last minute of the video

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
It won't let me post the link but search up Dallas mcarvers leg training on YouTube my muscular development he's wearing green leggings and skip to the last minute of the video
Ahh, so ONLY the band. I was picturing the band somehow being added to the bar. Thanks!

What is it you like about the band vs the bar for deadlifts?

flexdaddyraf

flexdaddyraf

Awards
It's not that I like the bands more because tbh I love using the bar it's just that I've tweaked my back and I can't seem to lift as much as I can for my stiff legs so I found this alternate

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So, I've been doing a bit of YouTube research and I'm still not completely sure I fully understand the difference between a normal DL and a straight leg DL.

As best as I can tell, with a normal DL, I bend my legs almost as if I were doing a squat, but with my back also bent (slightly arched, butt out, head neutral looking mostly straight ahead).
When you bend at the legs or enlist a BLDL, you use some quads at the start to help get the weight off the floor. So the mechanics are a little different. Certain body types can dictate what might be easier or more efficient for a lifter.
Usually the higher the hips, the less quad you are going to be able to use to aid the pull, so if one is doing a SLDL or even an RDL, the hams, glutes and perhaps low back (posterior chain) will do most of the work.

A straight leg DL has a much less bend in the leg (though the recommendation seems to be to NOT lock the knees).
Right, a slight bend kept in them, takes strain off the knee joint or keeps it from hyper-extending.

As far as bands being used, as you get closer to lockout, or where the lift becomes easier leverage wise, the resistance gets harder as you stretch the band. You can start the lift quite light and as you near lockout, it gets heavier, so you still get the benefit of heavier resistance as your leverages get better and one can handle more than if one was starting from the ground.

As far as deadlifts being broken down to single body part training, IMO, the deadlifts train a great deal of the body, even though they may be say, hamstring or glute dominant. They train the erectors, lumbars, upper back, even some lats, grip, albeit statically, they still take part.

Lastly, people having a hard time with a straight bar deadlift and the low back, have gotten more miles out of a trap bar (or suit case lift). It has a easier bar path, going up thru the center of the body and can be more lower back friendly while they still get some deadlift benefits.

briandward1

Awards
I do these with dumbbells instead of a barbell. I find I have an easier time emphasizing my hamstrings. Also because I'll use too much weight with the bar and involve too much lower back.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
Jumping back in a little late here, but bands and trap bar work are a lot more user-friendly if you've had previous/nagging injuries. Both the guys who suggested that are spot on. Same with DB's too.

Famine

Famine

Awards
If you want some good instructional videos, check out any by Mark Rippetoe, but the dude's long winded, so be prepared for 10-15 minute videos.

I think the OP question has already been addressed, but I'll tack on my own 2 cents in a ridiculously oversimplified form:

In a deadlift, the knees and hips should have equal movement, as though you were sitting down into a chair...just like squats, but the weight is below you instead of above you.

In a stiff legged deadlift (SLDL), there is no bending or movement below the hips. The bend in the knees that is often prescribed is a safety precaution for knee joint health, but not indicative of the lift. I actually advocate, when first learning the movement, to lock the knees and use just the bar to practice the movement. When you start adding weight, bend your knees if you want, but only a little.

Personally, I use less than 50% of my deadlift weight when doing SLDL.

Even more simplified: Deadlift = sitting down, SLDL = bending over.

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
If you want some good instructional videos, check out any by Mark Rippetoe, but the dude's long winded, so be prepared for 10-15 minute videos.

I think the OP question has already been addressed, but I'll tack on my own 2 cents in a ridiculously oversimplified form:

In a deadlift, the knees and hips should have equal movement, as though you were sitting down into a chair...just like squats, but the weight is below you instead of above you.

In a stiff legged deadlift (SLDL), there is no bending or movement below the hips. The bend in the knees that is often prescribed is a safety precaution for knee joint health, but not indicative of the lift. I actually advocate, when first learning the movement, to lock the knees and use just the bar to practice the movement. When you start adding weight, bend your knees if you want, but only a little.

Personally, I use less than 50% of my deadlift weight when doing SLDL.

Even more simplified: Deadlift = sitting down, SLDL = bending over.
Best description of the differences I've heard. Thank you so much!