Straight Leg Deadlifts HELP NEEDED!!!

c_mharvey84

Awards
Hi all relative newbie on here and to lifting in general this is my first post so I'm hoping you can help.

I've recently started a new training regime where I completely stripped back and gone to simply doing compound lifts and a couple of other body weight exercises.

The new program specifies that I do straight leg deadlifts. And heres my question when I'm performing the lifts I'm taking the bar from the floor with feet under the bar legs straight and heres the bit I dont like BACK ARCHED!! Due to my height and I'm only 5' 9" the bar is too low therefore causing me to have to bend over furher than i would like.

Can some of the more experienced lifters on here suggest anything to remedy this or alternative lifts that would be achieving the same outcome without the need to arch the back.

Many thanks in advance.

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
In the beginning of your lift you can bend your knees in the initial start of your lift so that you can use your legs to lift the bar off the ground. You do not have to initially start off with a straight leg especially when you start to go heavier. Once you are standing erect with the barbell in your hands than would be the time to perform the straight leg deadlift. When you are done with your set and you are ready to put the bar down you can also once again bend at the knees to take the stress off the lower back

c_mharvey84

Awards
Thanks for the tip. I did wonder because for now im only lifting around 70kg plus the bar and although theres some discomfort back seems to be holding out fine, but when this increases i could forsee big problems with the back.

The way you describe suggest that I would do one intial lift with knees bent and then the rest of the reps until finished. However currently im deloading after each rep is this not advisable?

Again many thanks for your reply really appreciate the help.!

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
Yeah for your initial lift to get the bar off the ground keep the knees bent and use your legs to drive the bar up off the ground. Than as you are standing tall, start to perform the stiff legged deadlift (straight leg DL). Personally when I perform stiff legged (straight leg) deadlifts for my hamstrings I like to use heavy dumbbells for that move. I stick with barbells for regular style Deadlifts for the back.

I'm assuming you know that stiff legged (straight leg) Deadlifts targets more the hamstrings. A tip when doing stiff legged (straight leg) Deadlifts is to keep constant tension on the hamstrings by not coming all the way up and locking out and squeezing the back like a traditional deadlift for the back.

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
Hi all relative newbie on here and to lifting in general this is my first post so I'm hoping you can help.

I've recently started a new training regime where I completely stripped back and gone to simply doing compound lifts and a couple of other body weight exercises.

The new program specifies that I do straight leg deadlifts. And heres my question when I'm performing the lifts I'm taking the bar from the floor with feet under the bar legs straight and heres the bit I dont like BACK ARCHED!! Due to my height and I'm only 5' 9" the bar is too low therefore causing me to have to bend over furher than i would like.

Can some of the more experienced lifters on here suggest anything to remedy this or alternative lifts that would be achieving the same outcome without the need to arch the back.

Many thanks in advance.
What plates do you have on the bar? You should only go through a ROM in which your flexibility allows you to maintain a neutral lumbar orientation.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I learned from an earlier thread that some people consider there to be a slight difference in stiff leg DL and straight leg DL. I don't remember what it was, but know that another alternative involves you leaning/sitting back a bit with your hips to get closer to the bar. There's no problem in doing that. Just be careful because SLDLs load your hamstrings so strongly you can hurt yourself (I am not warning against the lift, I'm just saying listen to your body). I like to keep the reps to 6+.

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
What plates do you have on the bar? You should only go through a ROM in which your flexibility allows you to maintain a neutral lumbar orientation.
Not sure if that's the problem he is having. I think he is talking about how he should start off the exercise with his legs straight while lifting the bar off the ground. If that's the case than like I initially said to bend at the knees and lift the bar off the ground first with your legs. Than get in a straight leg (stiff) position to perform the exercise. I think DB's are better for this exercise because I feel the BB limits your ROM. DB's really helps to get a noce stretch on the hamstrings. For me if I do use a BB for stiff legged DL for hamstrings I'll stack a bunch of 25's since they are smaller than the 45's and get that stretch at the bottom.. But personally I rather grab a pair of DB's for this exercise.

BigShadow

BigShadow

Awards
  • Established
Not sure if that's the problem he is having. I think he is talking about how he should start off the exercise with his legs straight while lifting the bar off the ground. If that's the case than like I initially said to bend at the knees and lift the bar off the ground first with your legs. Than get in a straight leg (stiff) position to perform the exercise. I think DB's are better for this exercise because I feel the BB limits your ROM. DB's really helps to get a noce stretch on the hamstrings. For me if I do use a BB for stiff legged DL for hamstrings I'll stack a bunch of 25's since they are smaller than the 45's and get that stretch at the bottom.. But personally I rather grab a pair of DB's for this exercise.
Agree 100% by using db. Starting out with db at your side palms in, then turning your wrists so that your palms are facing your legs allows for a deep stretch in your hams.

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
Agree 100% by using db. Starting out with db at your side palms in, then turning your wrists so that your palms are facing your legs allows for a deep stretch in your hams.
Yeah I mean if you use a BB, the (I'm assuming) 45lb plates will touch the floor and limit the benefit of getting a deeper stretch in the hams

c_mharvey84

Awards
Hi all thanks for all the replies! Surprising how quick these post gather speed.

My main problem is that im having to bend over to far to pick the bar of the floor causing me to arch my back.

Up to this point I have been lifting the bar from the ground on each rep whilst maitaining straight legs throughtout causing stress on my back at the weight im using now not to much problem but as I increase I'm sure it will be.

Im using 25kg plates which are the largest we have in my U.K gym not sure wht that would be the equivalent of in U.S as you guys work in pounds its like a 50 pound plate I guess?

c_mharvey84

Awards
N.B .. Thinking it over last night as well would it be feasable to elevate the bar maybe sit a couple of boxes either side to raise its height ?

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
N.B .. Thinking it over last night as well would it be feasable to elevate the bar maybe sit a couple of boxes either side to raise its height ?
If you mean stand on a box to get more elevated off the ground so you can get a better stretch than yes you can do it. It's awkward for me personally so I don't do it. But give it a try and see if it works for you

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
VS he's talking about elevating the bar not himself...

When you do an SLDL remember to keep your back arched not rounded. Rounded is bad, arched is good. Initiate the first rep by doing a Deadlift. Keep your back tight with a good arch, shoulder blades squeezed together and stick your chest out. From there, push your hips back. This should cause the bar to lower. Keep lowering the bar until you feel a nice stretch in your hamstrings. If you feel your back start to round, use less range of motion. Remember, not every rep has to touch the ground. Good stretch and tight back.

Send a video of your form if you still have questions.

VS91588

VS91588

Awards

When you do an SLDL remember to keep your back arched not rounded. Rounded is bad, arched is good. Initiate the first rep by doing a Deadlift. Keep your back tight with a good arch, shoulder blades squeezed together and stick your chest out. From there, push your hips back. This should cause the bar to lower. Keep lowering the bar until you feel a nice stretch in your hamstrings. If you feel your back start to round, use less range of motion. Remember, not every rep has to touch the ground. Good stretch and tight back.

Send a video of your form if you still have questions.
Keeping the back rounded is probably the biggest mistake ppl do when performing Deadlifts, BB rows... Good step by step instructions!

c_mharvey84

Awards

Exactly that! I'm in the gym tonight and will put in to practice some of the ideas put forward really appreciate it. Whats everyones opinions on not touching the bar down on every rep. I once read an article about how this could be detrimental as you only carry out the intial lift once and therfore that range of motion is not being repeated not sure what the actual point of the article was long time back but I'm guessing it's trying to say that you could be cheating yourself of some gain or something from completing the full movement. Any opinions?

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established

Exactly that! I'm in the gym tonight and will put in to practice some of the ideas put forward really appreciate it. Whats everyones opinions on not touching the bar down on every rep. I once read an article about how this could be detrimental as you only carry out the intial lift once and therfore that range of motion is not being repeated not sure what the actual point of the article was long time back but I'm guessing it's trying to say that you could be cheating yourself of some gain or something from completing the full movement. Any opinions?
Most ppl simply don't have the flexibility to touch down on a stiff legged Deadlift without their back rounding. If you have the flexibility, then go for it. I'm assuming you don't since you are wanting to elevate the bar.

I consider myself pretty flexible and I rarely ever touch the ground on stiff legged deads. For reference, with no weight I can lock my knees and put my palms flat on the floor with no trouble at all.

VS91588

VS91588

Awards

There's different opinions on the matter but I think of you don't touch the bar on the ground you will keep constant tension on the muscle. Dorian Yates is a firm believer in not touching the bar on the ground when performing Deadlifts and keep constant tension on the muscle.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I actually keep the weight away from my body while performing stiff leg deadlifts. It sounds like some of y'all perform a mix of stiff leg deadlifts and Romanian deadlifts.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Stiff legged deadlift form:
http://www.catalystathletics.com/exercises/exercise.php?exerciseID=86

Straight leg deadlift form:
http://www.catalystathletics.com/exercises/exercise.php?exerciseID=215

First, good move on switching to a predominantly closed kinetic chain workout of all compound lifts.
Secondly, forget the bottom link/exercise exists. The stiff leg deadlift is to strengthen the hamstrings and lower back muscles in a way that will benefit squats/deads and build muscle. Straight leg deads take the emphasis off the hamstrings and turn the movement into a series of vertebral extensions (which is damaging the intervertebral disks). Also, the spinal extensor muscles are the most efficient when working under conditions of isometric contraction (i.e.: keeping the back flat/arched during two foot barbell lifts).
Br

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
I actually keep the weight away from my body while performing stiff leg deadlifts. It sounds like some of y'all perform a mix of stiff leg deadlifts and Romanian deadlifts.
Stiff legged deads are the same as romanians. Now straight legged deadlifts on the other hand are different. And just throwing this out there, the Americans were doing RDLs before the Romanians. Maybe a name change is in order.

Jay888999

Jay888999

Banned
Awards
Straight leg deadlifts have lower back injury written all over it,especially if going heavy..I am happy with reg deadlifts.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Stiff legged deads are the same as romanians. Now straight legged deadlifts on the other hand are different. And just throwing this out there, the Americans were doing RDLs before the Romanians. Maybe a name change is in order.
There's actually a slight difference between RDL's and stiff leg deads. In both the knees are slightly bent, but in stiff leg deads the knees extend (straighten) toward the top of the ROM, while in RDL's the knees remain bent throughout the entire movement. Stiff's are better suited to benefit a conventational deadlift where as RDL's are going to translate into better olympic lifting performance.

Br

c_mharvey84

Awards
Thanks for the great info guys in particular ZiR RED great links big appreciation!

It looks to me from your feed back that straight leg dl's are a recipe for back injury im in serious doubt now as to whether to continue doing these in my current lifting program. They obviously have great effect on the hamstrings I can vouch for that I've been waddling proof from my last two sessions but the risk of damage to the back well is it worth it? I may try and find a substitute or maybe alternate weeks?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for the great info guys in particular ZiR RED great links big appreciation!

It looks to me from your feed back that straight leg dl's are a recipe for back injury im in serious doubt now as to whether to continue doing these in my current lifting program. They obviously have great effect on the hamstrings I can vouch for that I've been waddling proof from my last two sessions but the risk of damage to the back well is it worth it? I may try and find a substitute or maybe alternate weeks?
Well, we brought up a couple of good ideas: stiff leg deadlifts as well as RDLs. Good mornings, GHRs, and reverse hypers are also other great exercises for the hams and other muscles of the posterior chain.

compudog

compudog

Awards
RDL starts from a standing position with the weight in hands, not with the weight on the floor. Do a regular deadlift to get in position or start from pins or a safety bars in a power rack. When I do them the weight never gets anywhere near the ground, in fact if the bar goes below my knees that's good enough. You perform the RDL by keeping a good lumbar extension, i.e. with knees slightly bent keep a good arch in the lower back and stick your butt out as far behind you as can as you lower the weight until you feel a good stretch in the hamstrings. If you start to lose the arch in the lower back you've gone too low. There shouldn't be a lot of strain on the lower back, if there is you're not doing it right.

434AT3M3

Awards
Do them from pins in a rack. You can set them at any height you need and make sure the bar comes to a complete stop before proceeding. Not bouncing will protect you back. This will allow you to brace your core with every rep. Bouncing is what cause back issues.

...or you can set the loaded barbell on 45# plates.

Stay strong and Lift Strong!

sugardaddy69

sugardaddy69

Awards
romanian dl bro do this it is the best slight bent in your knees works great also try to slightly direct your toes inwards