Dark chocolate 85% vs supplements epicatechin

NewAgeMayan

Awards
Hershey's 100% Unsweetened tastes great to me.
How are you having it, and how much are you having? Looks like I can get this here in NZ; is the container the Hershey brown colour, and says 'Hersheys Cocoa...100% Cacao...Natural Unsweetened...226g' ??

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
How are you having it, and how much are you having? Looks like I can get this here in NZ; is the container the Hershey brown colour, and says 'Hersheys Cocoa...100% Cacao...Natural Unsweetened...226g' ??
Countdown, baking isle, cocoa :D

NewAgeMayan

Awards
Countdown, baking isle, cocoa :D
lol, yep, but Im rapidly losing trust that any product which dosnt state it uses dutched cocoa actually dosnt...yknow, the whole absence-of-information (is not information of absence)...the Hershey's product I mentioned above is actually comparable in price to most of the smarket cocoas.

Mr Physique

Mr Physique

Awards
So can someone here recommend me the cheapest form of cocoa? That is the correct kind lol idk what I'm looking for since none of these have the amount of epi listed lol

NewAgeMayan

Awards
So can someone here recommend me the cheapest form of cocoa? That is the correct kind lol idk what I'm looking for since none of these have the amount of epi listed lol
There's a link to a pplow article thats very good, has info on dosin and epi content and such, jiigzz posted it on page one I think.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
lol, yep, but Im rapidly losing trust that any product which dosnt state it uses dutched cocoa actually dosnt...yknow, the whole absence-of-information (is not information of absence)...the Hershey's product I mentioned above is actually comparable in price to most of the smarket cocoas.
You and me both :(

my whole life is a lie

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I do a heaping 5g scoop - so prob 6-7g. Just toss it in a cup with 4-6oz of water, shake it, and down it. I do it twice a day.

See here for the label stating that regular Hershey's isn't Dutch Processed:

h t t p : / / w w w .snack-girl.com/snack/dark-chocolate-smoothie/

Yes, you have the same product I use - Natural Unsweetened 100% Cacao

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Bro, I know those feels.

De_eB with his practical sensibilities, just dosnt understand.
I never would have thought to look into how it was processed.

kpeaceoutbye

Awards
  • Established
6-7g of the cocoa?? That is like barely any epi at all? Don't you need like 30-40g based on the calculations?

NewAgeMayan

Awards
6-7g of the cocoa?? That is like barely any epi at all? Don't you need like 30-40g based on the calculations?
Yeah, it seems that would depend on your goals ie general health, or more ergogenic/hypertrophy focused.

Eating chocolate, I have been aiming for approx 100mg epi per day, so (depending on the cocoa content of the choc) approx 70sh gm of dark choc per day.

To keep to these numbers I would have to consume around 40gm+ of the Hersheys cacao powder per day. One of their tubs would last just under a week. Cheaper than choc, less kcals, but as Jiigzz said, "blech"

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
If I want -(-)Epi, I buy a pill - right now I'm experimenting with NO EPI (was taking 150-300mg/Day for months) - to see if performance falls off. I take Cacao for general health.

NewAgeMayan

Awards
I decided to be a bit different prewo this morn (well, for me anyway).

After eating my trusty soy lecithin granules, I put some heated water in my shaker cup, steeped a couple green tea bags, melted 1tbsp manuka honey, threw in 1tbsp cocoa powder, and squeezed in some lemon juice.

If youre thinking to yourself "sh!t, not bad, that Mayan is some clever fuka, bet it tastes great!" well you'd be wrong. Was the worse tasting concoction ever.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I decided to be a bit different prewo this morn (well, for me anyway).

After eating my trusty soy lecithin granules, I put some heated water in my shaker cup, steeped a couple green tea bags, melted 1tbsp manuka honey, threw in 1tbsp cocoa powder, and squeezed in some lemon juice.

If youre thinking to yourself "sh!t, not bad, that Mayan is some clever fuka, bet it tastes great!" well you'd be wrong. Was the worse tasting concoction ever.
Gross was what I was thinking. Healthy, but gross

NewAgeMayan

Awards
Gross was what I was thinking. Healthy, but gross
It really was the worse tasting liquid Ive ever had; the honey was utterly overpowered by the green tea and lemon, and the cocoa just added insult to injury. I had to force myself to finish it.

This dosnt bode well for the greens-concoction I had planned for when I get my new blender. Ingredients can look nutritionally impeccable on paper, but in practice the gustatory value can be absolutely zilch :/

Shin Sprints

Awards
Raw Cocoa Nibs in a protein shake?

Admittedly 40g of it might not taste great.

Depending on fibre intake 40g of cocoa nibs might mean too much fibre???

bb333

Awards
  • Established
So guys, how's the experiment over? What is the most famous 100% cocoa brand?