Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
oh yeah fuk 1/day, i do 50gm at most

+cupppa green tea :)
Thats what ill do. I was just eating the 72% one but ill grab some 90% with green tea :D

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Edit: I found on Amazon Hershey's 100% cacoa special dark powder.
I believe the "Special Dark" is Alkali Processed (Dutch). That will strip all the beneficial stuff out. Just get the regular Hershey 100% Cacao powder. It's not Dutch processed and even has a blurb about all the anti-oxidants in it, on the side. 1lb 7oz tubs are ~$6 at Sam's Club. I saw that Examine article months ago - chocolate is viable if you aren't looking for a massive -(-)Epi dose and can fit the macros. The LD50 on chocolate is massive - you ain't dying... Haloween and Easter would be a nightmare :)

kpeaceoutbye

Awards
  • Established
I believe the "Special Dark" is Alkali Processed (Dutch). That will strip all the beneficial stuff out. Just get the regular Hershey 100% Cacao powder. It's not Dutch processed and even has a blurb about all the anti-oxidants in it, on the side. 1lb 7oz tubs are ~$6 at Sam's Club. I saw that Examine article months ago - chocolate is viable if you aren't looking for a massive -(-)Epi dose and can fit the macros. The LD50 on chocolate is massive - you ain't dying... Haloween and Easter would be a nightmare :)
True, but what I'm saying is to get a beneficial/noticeable amount of epi like the products use, you're talking about consuming a half of one of those smaller tubs. What in the heck are you going to do with THAT much chocolate to even make it taste somewhat okay? I could see a few tablespoons, but to consume like 20 something tablespoons is ridiculous and not worth it to me (macros aside).

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I was just putting out info for people who want general health benefits. I agree, for massive amounts of -(-)Epi, I wouldn't use Cacao Powder. However, there is no study showing how much more muscle you'll have at the end of a year, by using -(-)Epi anyway :)

The study in the Examine article only found increased/decreased Follistatin/Myostatin using Dark Chocolate containing 75mg -(-)Epi, twice a day. The latest study showed more is better and lasts about 3 hrs... that's it. We're faaaaaaaar from 'Creatine' :)

I'm actually not replenishing my -(-)Epi supply...ran out yesterday. I log all pounds/reps - we'll see if progress diminishes/halts.

NewAgeMayan

Awards
Thats what ill do. I was just eating the 72% one but ill grab some 90% with green tea :D
I believe the "Special Dark" is Alkali Processed (Dutch). That will strip all the beneficial stuff out.
dammit...double check the lindt label jiggs as ive heard that the 90 is alkali processed (but oddly some of the other lindt grades are not)

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am going to start eating chocolate everyday.

I can't wait to increase my deadlift by 100lbs this week.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
I am going to start eating chocolate everyday. I can't wait to increase my deadlift by 100lbs this week.
Its a wonder the chocolate bingers managed to get obese!

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I am going to start eating chocolate everyday.

I can't wait to increase my deadlift by 100lbs this week.
Lol thats what im sayin. All i needed was an excuse

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
I like to eat dark chocolate covered espresso beans pre workout. Screw the science, they're yummy and have caffeine

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
Oh and I use a lot of natural cocoa powder in shakes, smoothies, coffee... Pretty macro friendly and if mixed into a smoothie with splenda tastes great.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I like to eat dark chocolate covered espresso beans pre workout. Screw the science, they're yummy and have caffeine
Love these. I often grind them into a powder and put over coffee

NewAgeMayan

Awards
with all this dark chocolate and raw honey we should all be eating at least we will be healthy fattys :/

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
with all this dark chocolate and raw honey we should all be eating at least we will be healthy fattys :/
Dark Chocolate has been a apart of my diet for the past 4 years. Everyday without fail. Chocolate is also my vice so at least I feel good about it

NewAgeMayan

Awards
Dark Chocolate has been a apart of my diet for the past 4 years. Everyday without fail. Chocolate is also my vice so at least I feel good about it
true...i actually need something that will encourage my green tea consumption, and dark chocolate certainly will do that...have you not gotten into the raw honey thing? if not im surprised given its touted health benefits and how easy it is to acquire quality product given where we live

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Next time I or my mom goes to Belgium I will grab you some good stuff brother

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
true...i actually need something that will encourage my green tea consumption, and dark chocolate certainly will do that...have you not gotten into the raw honey thing? if not im surprised given its touted health benefits and how easy it is to acquire quality product given where we live
I have! Funnily enough, a good friend of mine has honey bees and I regularly get some. They just randomly showed up in his garden haha

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
im sure you balance your nana-ness out by lifting like a mofo
Haha I sure do. My primary motivator is just seeing a lot of large, older people living in discomfort. To me that isnt living so im trying to do what I can now to make sure I can live a long, healthy life as free of pain and discomfort as I can

NewAgeMayan

Awards
well, just been to supermarket and none of the lindt packages mention alkali processing, dunno how trustworthy this is (woud they be legally obliged to state so if so? *shrug*)

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Not sure, but I think so. They would probably want to list it for PR - "Dutch Chocolate/Cocoa" is a marketing buzzword.

NewAgeMayan

Awards
Not sure, but I think so. They would probably want to list it for PR - "Dutch Chocolate/Cocoa" is a marketing buzzword.
well doing the cursory google search it looks like a number of people have emailed them regarding this, and most have received some sort of generic "such processing is not something we currently are undertaking"

Battossi

Awards
100 gr of chocolate,
85% cacao,
costs about € 2,50

a scientific study,
recommend 30 gr per day to get the recommended epicatechin content.

100 gr = € 2,50

per month are 20 € (30 gr of chocolate a day).

A supplement costs about 70 €

85% chocolate Vs supplement

to you, the thread!
I have 4100 calories to play with. I'll get back to this thread when I have tried.

alvin1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I am taking lindt 90%, so 30 gram got me covert?

NewAgeMayan

Awards
I am taking lindt 90%, so 30 gram got me covert?
Read the pplow article Jiigz linked (on first pg I think); in this case 'appropriate dosing quantity' is somewhat going to be an individual thing (how much dark choc you can stomach per day, kcal allowance, what kind of epi quantity you want to aim for, etc)...the pplow article addresses all these issues and more, its very good.

MassMonster76

Awards
what about using straight cacao powder that all those vegan people add to their smoothies

NewAgeMayan

Awards
what about using straight cacao powder that all those vegan people add to their smoothies
I havnt looked too thoroughly into the powders but generally you want something with a high purity %, and avoid Dutch/alkali processed products.

NewAgeMayan

Awards
Jiigzz, just had email confirmation that our beloved Whittakers 72% contains Dutched cocoa :/

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

NewAgeMayan

Awards
Noooooooooo :( damn.
I know, bit of a bummer, Im emailing Donovans and another local brand that have similiar products at the smarkets...about same size/price as Lindt, so not as cheap as Whittakers.

NewAgeMayan

Awards
why not just pure cocoa powder?
Well then Id be left with having to Dutch it myself in order to make it taste good!

Its looking inreasingly likely that most chocolate available here (NZ) is dutched even if it dosnt specify on the label...I really didnt want to go the cocoa powder route just cos dosing chocolate is so yum.

Is it possible the cocoa powder you buy at the supermarket is also dutched, even if it labels itself as 'pure'?

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well then Id be left with having to Dutch it myself in order to make it taste good!

Its looking inreasingly likely that most chocolate available here (NZ) is dutched even if it dosnt specify on the label...I really didnt want to go the cocoa powder route just cos dosing chocolate is so yum.

Is it possible the cocoa powder you buy at the supermarket is also dutched, even if it labels itself as 'pure'?
I mean, pure unsweetened cocoa is just a lot less calories than chocolate bars

LiftWithDonuts

LiftWithDonuts

Awards
  • Established
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1430455284.354931.jpg

LiftWithDonuts

LiftWithDonuts

Awards
  • Established
First thing that came to mind when people on here were saying how much the eat cocoa

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Hershey's 100% Unsweetened tastes great to me. I was in the store the other day and looked at the "Special Dark". I knew it was Dutch processed, but I wanted to read the label more thoroughly. Sure enough, they also have a big red label on there, warning that it doesn't contain all the good stuff because of the processing...and tells you to buy the 'regular' 100% Cacao! :)

Akagami

Awards
There seem to be many great benefits to dark chocolate. In my experience, anytime I've been taking in cocoa every day my condition in the gym has generally been good.

The kind I can find around me is Dutch Processed 100% cocoa. I like the taste and could drink it plain if I like, but will usually mix it in with oatmeal, coffee, or milk. Milk + Cocoa PWO is nice.

I try to get 20-30g every day.

skullsyst

Awards
I use raw cacao powder added to my protein shakes, which offsets the bitterness of the cacao.