Dangers of ARA

b8audis4

Awards
Hello, I have once had astmah when I was a kid but now I have pretty much grew out of it just have allergies (seasonal) I have a 2 month bottle of factor advanced since this is a inflammation supplement I was wondering if I could take it or maybe bring back what I once had ?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
You should be fine... the inflammation is directed at muscle and tendon/ligaments so it should not be a problem. If youre truly smart though, ask a real doctor instead of us ;)

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hello, I have once had astmah when I was a kid but now I have pretty much grew out of it just have allergies (seasonal) I have a 2 month bottle of factor advanced since this is a inflammation supplement I was wondering if I could take it or maybe bring back what I once had ?
Just like booneman77 said, you should ask your doctor. I had asthma as a child, and no ill effects for me, but everyone is different. Ask your doctor or healthcare provider to be safe.

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
I'm not a doctor but I play one on the internet. lol

Mr Physique

Mr Physique

Awards
My buddy loves ArA and also had asthma as a child (which he grew out of around 11-12yo)

He's been fine, I'd agree to ask your doctor, but almost certain he'd have to clue lol

I'd say ur best bet is to try it yourself, or post another thread about asthma ArA users and see if anyone has had any negatives

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
A lot of people had asthma as a child. It is very common.

A friend of mine who Ive known since childhood uses Xgels every so often with no ill effects, but I do place stress that Examine.com have a section on this very issue. It is likely that this pertains to current asthma sufferers.

While I wont suggest you run it, be mindful that Aras effects are usually localised to skeletal muscle AND the effects of inflammation tend to only effect some people.

XFA also has omega 3 which may reduce the inflammatory response

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
I don't think asking your doctor is going to do any good unless your doctor happens to understand bodybuilding/sports nutrition (which most obviously don't).

My guess is that they would tell you not to take it for no other reason than they have no clue and generally look down on supplements overall.

If I were you, I'd just try it out and see if it causes your asthma to react. As others have said, it most likely won't cause any problems, but the only way to know is to try it for yourself.

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Be very careful with this stuff if you have any inflammatory condition, i have IBD and ara seriously fukd me up after a few days.

Mr Physique

Mr Physique

Awards
Be very careful with this stuff if you have any inflammatory condition, i have IBD and ara seriously fukd me up after a few days.
What condition? (if you don't mind me asking) Because I have chronic bronchitis and it rarely ever causes anything

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sucks, thanks for sharing though man
Has actually made me a stronger and more determined person. i've had control over it for quite a long time now with only a few short term hiccups along the way. People with chronic serious bouts of crohns/UC i really feel for.

furion

furion

Awards
  • Established
I responded to a similar question to this a while back:

Different arachidonic acid metabolites can act as both bronchodilators (PGe2 PGi2) and bronchoconstrictors (PGd2 and Leukotrienes)

As asthma hypersensitivity responses and precipitants are variable and sometimes idiosyncratic- it would be difficult to determine your response.

Have you ever suffered asthma symptoms after taking an NSAID anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen or diclofenac? If so I would err on the side of caution and potentially take a small dose of AA (maybe 250mg) and keep your reliever puffer handy.

You could also use a mast cell stabilising puffer such as nedocromil or sodium cromoglycate prior to taking the AA and exercising- in theory this should mitigate the release of the bronchoconstrictive metabolites in the airways- however once again I would try this with a smaller dose first.

namorbrowneye

Awards
I can't speak for anyone else and I've only ever read of one other person with the same effect but I am almost certain that both times I started running xfactor I got the two ✌ worst sinus infections of my life! 3-5 days of being completely miserable. ..take it for what it's worth. .

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Has actually made me a stronger and more determined person. i've had control over it for quite a long time now with only a few short term hiccups along the way. People with chronic serious bouts of crohns/UC i really feel for.
That's a good attitude to have about it. I was diagnosed with Crohns as a young child, but since I cut out gluten a few years ago I've been doing great. I still won't touch ARA though, out of precaution.

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That's a good attitude to have about it. I was diagnosed with Crohns as a young child, but since I cut out gluten a few years ago I've been doing great. I still won't touch ARA though, out of precaution.
Glad to hear you got on top of it. Lactose and maltodextrin are a definite trigger for me. Avoid them like that the plague.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Glad to hear you got on top of it. Lactose and maltodextrin are a definite trigger for me. Avoid them like that the plague.
I never did well with dairy products, so I cut them out as well, although I do great with whey protein, even if it's not completely lactose free (I usually have concentrate). I'm glad you've figured out what works for you. A lot of people don't realize how big a role diet plays with this sort of thing.

JeremyNG25

JeremyNG25

Awards
  • Established
You should be fine... the inflammation is directed at muscle and tendon/ligaments so it should not be a problem. If youre truly smart though, ask a real doctor instead of us ;)
Tendons/ligaments? Doesn't sound like something I want to be taking then

tin gorilla

Awards
I have been concerned about its potential effects on the heart and also its potential to exacerbate chronic injuries such as lower back pain, etc.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have been concerned about its potential effects on the heart and also its potential to exacerbate chronic injuries such as lower back pain, etc.
I had an L4-L5-S1 spinal fusion and it caused no lower back pain.

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have slight asthma and have never had a negative affect from ArA. I had a herniated disk for around a year and ArA really made that hurt a lot more.

berazzled

berazzled

Awards
  • Established
Problem with asking a common Dr is they don't have a clue what x gels are.let alone what they do so he's going to say leave it alone.just like if I asked for script for pct.drs don't know crappie about most of this stuff.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Two weird things I noticed during a 50 workout run: Hair loss, and weird shaped fingernails. Both are listed as symptoms of high Omega-6 levels. ArA and I, do not mix well (or it was coincidence, but think I'm sadly done with ArA).