Curious about formulation of Preworkout supplements

myuniverse1

Awards
Hey all, just curious about the manufacturing of preworkout supplements, and how the different ingredients end up evenly dosed throughout the scoops/servings? My main question is how do some ingredients, like caffeine or yohimbine, not accidentally get more added per scoop/serving? Like what if someone scooped half of the powder from one side, and the other half from the other, I know this makes no sense, but wondering how one doesn't end up consuming 500+mg of caffeine in a 300mg caffeine serving, or 10mg Alpha-Y vs. 1.5-3mg? I have a tub of Inspired Nutraceuticals DVST8 which I want to crack open, but honestly felt more safe using their individual samples as I knew how much of each ingredient (specifically Alpha-Y) was in each. Sorry for the novel.
Thoughts?

yotreeman

yotreeman

Awards
Manufacturers have ways of thoroughly and evenly dispersing fine powders, eliminating any "hot spots" of active ingredient.

Good drug dealers manage it plenty as well.

Zman68

Zman68

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I know exactly where you are coming from because I had wondered the same before when I mixed up bulk powders for my own preworkout. I don't really think there is any way an individual/company can guarantee or protect against that. I always give my container a shake before I take a scoop to try and keep the different powders from settling too much.

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey all, just curious about the manufacturing of preworkout supplements, and how the different ingredients end up evenly dosed throughout the scoops/servings? My main question is how do some ingredients, like caffeine or yohimbine, not accidentally get more added per scoop/serving? Like what if someone scooped half of the powder from one side, and the other half from the other, I know this makes no sense, but wondering how one doesn't end up consuming 500+mg of caffeine in a 300mg caffeine serving, or 10mg Alpha-Y vs. 1.5-3mg? I have a tub of Inspired Nutraceuticals DVST8 which I want to crack open, but honestly felt more safe using their individual samples as I knew how much of each ingredient (specifically Alpha-Y) was in each. Sorry for the novel.
Thoughts?
Dvst8 is 200mg of caffeine per serving if I'm not mistaken. I use it too.

csline

csline

Awards
  • Established
If anything just shake it up in different directions every so often and then let it settle. Don't just shake it up and down though as this may cause heavier particles to settle at the bottom. Do more of a rotation shake where you do a few with it upright, a few with it on its side, then upside down, then another side, etc.

But honestly you could assume the product is well mixed and very consistent. It's not hard to ensure.

This is like eating a cake and saying, "how do I know my slice doesn't contain 35g of sugar and the next slice contains 36.3g??" Or "how can I ensure that my protein powder is exactly 24g or whey per scoop and sometimes it's not 23.2g". It's just not realistic.

owtlaw333

Awards
It's just a matter of physics. Much like in making chocolate milk, the chocolate disperses within the liquid relatively evenly because that's what the molecules want to do. With powders that are ground up as fine as they are in such supplements, they act very similarly when properly churned.

To your preference of using single packs as opposed to the tub, they're packaged from the same mixtures, so there's no difference. If you're worried about settling of ingredients, don't; unlike the chocolate milk, these substances don't move about each other when stationary.

TSMilliner

Awards
I would think any variation in dosage of ingredients between one scoop to the next would be less than a percent. it is probably way less than the variance in the amount scooped each time which I would imagine could be as much as 5% unless you scrape the scoop level each time.

myuniverse1

Awards
If anything just shake it up in different directions every so often and then let it settle. Don't just shake it up and down though as this may cause heavier particles to settle at the bottom. Do more of a rotation shake where you do a few with it upright, a few with it on its side, then upside down, then another side, etc.

But honestly you could assume the product is well mixed and very consistent. It's not hard to ensure.

This is like eating a cake and saying, "how do I know my slice doesn't contain 35g of sugar and the next slice contains 36.3g??" Or "how can I ensure that my protein powder is exactly 24g or whey per scoop and sometimes it's not 23.2g". It's just not realistic.
The shaking part makes sense, but the cake analogy is a little odd. You can't die from a couple extra grams of sugar, but too much caffeine, or yohimbine specifically, you can. That is really my only main concern, I guess I haven't thought about it at all when it comes to DMHA, or Eria Jarensis, but Yohimbine has always been a worry. Certainly don't want to OD on that!

MMKELS

MMKELS

Board Sponsor
Awards
Most large scale manufacturers use ENORMOUS mixers that will thoroughly disperse the ingredients throughout the batch after mixing for a length of time.

I completely get your concern, but honestly Id be surprised at a large variation in ingredients per scoop in many of the leading companies. Now if you're talking smaller scale, I think the risk for this increases a bit.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
before every use I remove scoop then thoroughly shake container, wait a minute for contents to settle, then after I take out dose I place scoop back on top.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
"Contents May Settle During Shipping" - Shake before each use, using the "rotating" method (<---admitted bro science :D)

BRUstrong

BRUstrong

Awards
  • Established
It's just a matter of physics. Much like in making chocolate milk, the chocolate disperses within the liquid relatively evenly because that's what the molecules want to do. With powders that are ground up as fine as they are in such supplements, they act very similarly when properly churned.

To your preference of using single packs as opposed to the tub, they're packaged from the same mixtures, so there's no difference. If you're worried about settling of ingredients, don't; unlike the chocolate milk, these substances don't move about each other when stationary.
This was my initial thought when I read OP's first post too. I'm not in the industry, but I assume the sample packs are not individually hand made (e.g., someone takes the time to put the exact amount of each ingredient into a single-serving packet). I would guess they are just single doses (scoops) taken from a larger batch.

So really, how do you know that individual sample No. 1 doesn't contain 500mg caffeine while individual sample No. 2 only contains 300mg? Those in the industry are welcome to chime in if I'm wrong!

myuniverse1

Awards
This was my initial thought when I read OP's first post too. I'm not in the industry, but I assume the sample packs are not individually hand made (e.g., someone takes the time to put the exact amount of each ingredient into a single-serving packet). I would guess they are just single doses (scoops) taken from a larger batch.

So really, how do you know that individual sample No. 1 doesn't contain 500mg caffeine while individual sample No. 2 only contains 300mg? Those in the industry are welcome to chime in if I'm wrong!
That's a very good point. I didn't think of that.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
The difference between bulk ingredients and a manufactured comete product is that one is produced more individually, the other as a complete product.

Bulk products can vary considerably in their texture and consistency, but ever notice that a product that contains a wide variety if ingredients often looks like one consistent powder?

They do that to minimize the amount of a single ingredient that will group in any one spot.

The key is in the manufacturing process which mixes them together on a much greater, and more thorough scale than you could achieve by hand

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Good question though OP. Im sure others share your concern