Critique my cut/carb cycling(?)!

fitfreak1904

Awards
Hey guys! I started my cut about a week ago and wanted to get peoples opinion on my cut.

Stats:
5 foot 5 inches
155.6 (Morning weight as off 5/26)
Starting weight: 158.8

I am still messing with my macros and looking into carb cycling after this week or the next. I've done both ways, steady cut and carb cycling, and they both work great for me I just like to change things up. My maintance calories are around 2200-2300 so I am currently around 1800ish calories and not doing any type of cardio at the gym (I play basketball on my rest days, which is once or twice a week) and up my fats during the day to compensate for the running).

Current macros:
160 Protein (+/-5g)
40 Fat (+/-2g)
200 Carb (+/-5g)
Calories: 1800

If I were to start carb cycling I would set my days as follows
Low Day
180 Protein
80 Fat
75 Carb
Calories: 1740

Moderate Day
160 Protein
40 Fat
210 Carb
Calories: 1840

High Day
150 Protein
30 Fat
280 Carb
Calories: 1900

Monday: Moderate
Tuesday: Moderate
Wednesday: Low
Thursday: Moderate
Friday: Low
Saturday: High
Sunday: Low
Repeat

Any input is appreciated!

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How did you figure out how many cals you need? It looks a little low. Also, I would increase fat intake.

fitfreak1904

Awards
How did you figure out how many cals you need? It looks a little low. Also, I would increase fat intake.
I've been counting macros for about 2.5 years now so I have a pretty good sense of my calories. Yea I was thinking fat is a little low.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
You plan looks pretty solid to me man. Not that it makes too much of a difference, but do your high and low days fall on specific training days? (i.e.- high carb leg day, low carb rest day, etc.). I've always felt like I would get through longer, higher volume workouts on a higher carb day. Fat looks a little low on your high carb day, but it looks like you're only doing one of those days per week. I typically keep my fat intake between 50-60g per day, and I'm 30 pounds heavier than you haha. I think your plan looks solid! I'd be curious to see your training schedule though.

fitfreak1904

Awards
You plan looks pretty solid to me man. Not that it makes too much of a difference, but do your high and low days fall on specific training days? (i.e.- high carb leg day, low carb rest day, etc.). I've always felt like I would get through longer, higher volume workouts on a higher carb day. Fat looks a little low on your high carb day, but it looks like you're only doing one of those days per week. I typically keep my fat intake between 50-60g per day, and I'm 30 pounds heavier than you haha. I think your plan looks solid! I'd be curious to see your training schedule though.
Thanks man! Yea I try to make it do my high day is either leg day or chest/back day. I tend to train with high volume but also do strength training. I usually make my first movement or two a strength orientated movement where I try and progress 2.5-5lbs a week (not always possible but thats the goal). For example:

Legs (Setsxreps):
Squats: 3x2, 2x5, 3x8, 1xAMRAP
Banded squats supset with jump step ups: 5x7,10
Lunges: 35lb bar 15 min non stop
Light acc. work: calves, hamgstring curl, leg press

Yea I'm still playing with the fats, I want to see how my body responds to this and if it responds well Ill up the fat and go from there. Its a experiement you know!

My training schedule is like this:
Monday: legs
Tuesday: Shoulders/arms (high volume)
Wednesday: Off
Thursday: Chest/Back (high volume)
Friday: Shoulders/arms (Low Volume, pretty much just a little longer rest times)
Saturday: legs
Sunday: Chest/Back (Low Volume, pretty much just a little longer rest times)

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Your training looks solid as well. And yeah, that's exactly it, its an experiment. Some people criticize diets when fat is under 50-60g, but if you're feeling that its working for you and you're seeing results, go for it. Adjust your diet as needed, but I think you set yourself up very well with what you posted. Its a well thought out diet that compliments your training. If you feel burned out though, definitely increase cals a bit or take a few days off to rest/deload. That's a lot of training (frequency wise and volume) to sustain on a cutting diet. So listen to your body and adjust as necessary. Best of luck bro