Cre 02 & Cordygen 5 Log via Emerge (Sponsored)

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Aren't Front Squats a B****? Harder to keep form than a back squat, but easier to perfect the form. My front squat sucked until I really focused on them for a while, and even now, mine is still not particularly impressive...

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I can't even do front squats. :/ they are too hard.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
Aren't Front Squats a B****? Harder to keep form than a back squat, but easier to perfect the form. My front squat sucked until I really focused on them for a while, and even now, mine is still not particularly impressive...
Not to sound cocky, but I know I can move much more weight than I did. However, I can't prop them on my shoulders because the bar rolls off. And, holding them up like a power clean really hurts my wrists (wah wah, I know). What are the benefits of these anyway? It's a flippin idiotic exercise!

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
Workout #8: Fasted Cardio 3/7/09

I woke up at 6 am just to pop in the pills then went back to sleep for another two hours. If that isn't dedication, I don't know what is. It was well worth it though.

We did 10 hundred meter sprints around a track (walked the turns).

Then we did some bleacher work, two sets of double leg hops (skipping a step each one) followed by one last set of just running up and down the stairs.

Increased Strength
N/A
Increased O2 Utilization and ATP
Dramatic O2 utilization.
Improved Recovery Times Between Sets
N/A
Vastly Increased Muscular Endurance
N/A
Increased Pump
Actually, yes my quads were pumped after the double leg hops.
Mood Enhancement
Yeah, cloud nine status.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not to sound cocky, but I know I can move much more weight than I did. However, I can't prop them on my shoulders because the bar rolls off. And, holding them up like a power clean really hurts my wrists (wah wah, I know). What are the benefits of these anyway? It's a flippin idiotic exercise!
If the bar rolls off your shoulders with arms-crossed, you're leaning forward. I can't do them olympic style either, because of old hand injuries.

When first beginning with front squats, they don't feel like they're doing much because you have to use a light load just to be able to keep form. As you get the form down, you'll be able to handle more weight.

When you are able to handle enough weight (and it'll still be a lot less than your back squat), it's the ultimate quad movement. That's the benefit of them: better quad activation than just about any other movement - especially if you elevate your heels.

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lookn good merge! Dont get discouraged man..youre doing great!

sumbum801

Awards
  • Established
I LOVE FRONT SQUATS! really good exercise that makes you focus on your form, and hits the quads like crazy! Lookin good emerge!

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
You guys have convinced me to stop whining and just learn how to do them.

bludevil

bludevil

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I didn't like front squats when I first started using them, because of light weight and form, but have grown to like them now. I can definately feel the difference in the quads.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
Workout #9: Weights 3/9/09

Zottmann Curls (Seated)
35x5
35x5
35x5
35x5
35x5
35x5
35x5
35x5
35x5
35x5

Close Grip Bench
145x5
145x5
145x5
145x5
145x5
145x5
145x5
145x5
145x5
145x4

Increased Strength
Yes. I finished all of my zottmann curls without failing to hit 5 reps. I also had to increase the weight on the bench because I knew I would not fail with 135.
Yes, slightly obvious in the bench exercise.
Yes, dropped 10 seconds off both exercises.
Yes as you can see by my inability to hit failure.
Increased Pump
Not so much.
Mood Enhancement
Feeling pretty good. I just gave my 30 days notice to my manager and will be moving in on April 4th to my new apartment with my girl and our friend to save money on rent. I hope we will all live happily together.

Also, I'm weighing in at 167 guys. I only have 3-4 more pounds to go to reach my ideal weight for the tournament. I am pretty ecstatic. The abs are starting to come in from farther out in the sides and stomach is getting flatter. I actually caught two girls peeping a couple times today. Heh. Good stuff!

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY0536g_6Wc"]YouTube - Marilyn Manson - The Beautiful People: Version 1[/nomedia]

Strange dude, but cool song.

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Killn it man! You likn the zottman curls?

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
I do, but I struggle with form on the way down. It is kind of hard to keep my elbows in and flaring them out is almost done by nature. I have to concentrate more, but they are sexy indeed.

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Im thinkin about doing them at the end of my bi workout next time. Is this a new exercise for you? Or have you been doing them and I havent noticed?

jdg487

jdg487

Awards
  • Established
What are zottman curls e? I'll just look them up...

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
What are zottman curls e? I'll just look them up...
It's a normal DB curl for the first half of the movement. The second half of the movement you rotate your wrists before descending so it looks like a reverse curl.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Dude I haven't listened to Manson in forever. Thanks for the nostalgia!

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's a normal DB curl for the first half of the movement. The second half of the movement you rotate your wrists before descending so it looks like a reverse curl.
I've never liked them really - just don't hit any single part of the hard enough in my opinion. But, they are simpler than doing both DB Curls and Reverse Curls...

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
I haven't formulated my opinion yet. I guess we'll see at the end of this run.

bludevil

bludevil

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like your progressing nicely. Good luck on the move and the new roommates.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
Workout #10: BJJ 3/10/09

We worked on open guard drills the whole time. Nothing much to note, I passed guards for the most part and only got my guard passed once. I did pull off a couple of triangles and omoplatas. It seems those will be my signature moves as I progress in BJJ.

Increased Strength
N/A
Yes
N/A
N/A
Increased Pump
N/A
Mood Enhancement
Yes

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
Workout #11: Weights 3/11/09

Incline Bench Press
170x4
170x4
165x4
165x4
165x3+1
165x3
165x3
165x3
165x2
165x1+1

Pull Ups
+10x4
+10x4
+10x4
+10x4
+10x4
+10x4
+10x4
+10x4
+10x4
+10x4

Increased Strength
Not so much today. I felt weak and had to bring down the weight on bench.
Yes, however easy workout.
Not on the bench, but yes on the pull ups.
Bench was a no and pull ups was a yes.
Increased Pump
Not so much.
Mood Enhancement
Feeling pretty good.

Lats are really starting to pop out now that my waist is slimmer. Starting to look much more vascular. :)

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
Workout #12: BJJ 3/12/09

We worked on closed guard drills the whole time. I got there late so I only got two partners to work with. Again, I hit some triangles and omoplatas, I did surprisingly well against another blue who is much stronger and heavier than me. I usually don't do well with bigger dudes. So that was a plus. Since I was late, I stayed longer to work some stuff with my soon to be roommate. We worked on jumping into guard (because we both are not confident in our take downs) for the tournament. We also worked triangle and omoplata escapes. My reaction times are seeming to get faster and faster. A very good thing.

Increased Strength
N/A
Yes, not once was I even slightly out of breath.
N/A
N/A
Increased Pump
N/A
Mood Enhancement
Yes, very very relaxed.

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
words :rant:
Glad to here things are goin well man! Leanin out and gettn vascular is teh funz!

edit: Stay sexy man! ;)

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Met.

I just bought 11.5 pounds of boneless/skinless chicken breast. w00t w00t

Supplement Update:

Fish Oil is going up from 8 grams to 15 grams. 5 grams with three meals. Knees feeling a little funky, and since I don't have money for osteosport, this'll have to do,.

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Interested too see what upping the fishies will do

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
Oh yeah. I wish I could stock up on carne asada.

lutherblsstt

Workout #10: BJJ 3/12/09

We worked on closed guard drills the whole time. I got there late so I only got two partners to work with. Again, I hit some triangles and omoplatas, I did surprisingly well against another blue who is much stronger and heavier than me. I usually don't do well with bigger dudes. So that was a plus. Since I was late, I stayed longer to work some stuff with my soon to be roommate. We worked on jumping into guard (because we both are not confident in our take downs) for the tournament. We also worked triangle and omoplata escapes. My reaction times are seeming to get faster and faster. A very good thing.

Increased Strength
N/A
Yes, not once was I even slightly out of breath.
N/A
N/A
Increased Pump
N/A
Mood Enhancement
Yes, very very relaxed.
Interesting quote for you that may help:

The whole article is great,I only posted the end of it.

http://www.mmafaestro.com/Blog/post/2009/01/07/Training-Paradigm.aspx

The Training Paradigm
by KevinHowell

"As a parting gift, let me leave you all with something that Andre Galvao imparted on me while we were training before last year's BJJ World Championships and Pan-Americans. Basically, Andre laid me down and told me to pull any guard.

As soon as I made contact, he would pass and I would have to turn away from him to turtle. This was a part of our drill. He would then immediately, take the back position and lock in a choke - this happened EVERY SINGLE TIME! We repeated this drill non stop for about an hour. My only job was to come up with a new guard and hold it, get passed, and then show my back when Andre passed.

Afterwards, (we were both exhausted by the pace) I asked Andre why he trained this way. He answered that he once saw his instructor Terere, do the same drill over and over for about 3 weeks as he prepared for a tournament - passing the guard (the same way every time) to the back to the choke.

He didn't spar like crazy, but he did spar lightly as a warmup. Once warm, he would just do this over and over with varying levels of resistance while the rest of the class sparred and fought. When the tournament came around, guess what? Terere, immediately passed everyone's guard, took the back, and finished with a choke. It was second nature.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established

The Training Paradigm
by KevinHowell

"As a parting gift, let me leave you all with something that Andre Galvao imparted on me while we were training before last year's BJJ World Championships and Pan-Americans. Basically, Andre laid me down and told me to pull any guard.

As soon as I made contact, he would pass and I would have to turn away from him to turtle. This was a part of our drill. He would then immediately, take the back position and lock in a choke - this happened EVERY SINGLE TIME! We repeated this drill non stop for about an hour. My only job was to come up with a new guard and hold it, get passed, and then show my back when Andre passed.

Afterwards, (we were both exhausted by the pace) I asked Andre why he trained this way. He answered that he once saw his instructor Terere, do the same drill over and over for about 3 weeks as he prepared for a tournament - passing the guard (the same way every time) to the back to the choke.

He didn't spar like crazy, but he did spar lightly as a warmup. Once warm, he would just do this over and over with varying levels of resistance while the rest of the class sparred and fought. When the tournament came around, guess what? Terere, immediately passed everyone's guard, took the back, and finished with a choke. It was second nature.
Thanks for the tip, I think I'll try that this week.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
Workout #13: Weights 3/13/09

Squats
225x4
225x4
225x4
225x3
225x3
225x3
225x3
225x3
225x2
225x2

Laying Leg Curls (Feet Outward)
65x4
65x4
65x4
65x4
65x4
65x4
65x4
65x4
65x4
65x4

DB Lunges
25x8
25x8
25x8

SLDL (On platform - Bar to Toes)
115x8
135x8
155x6

Increased Strength
Slight, felt it on squats.
Yes, was not as out of breath on squats as usual. Whew.
I could have, but workload was heavy enough that I wanted to utilize my entire break.
Hard to say really... I didn't get my entire squat set, but I did well on other exercises.
Increased Pump
Too much pumpage in the quads.
Mood Enhancement
Feeling sexy. :)

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
Workout #14: Fasted Cardio 3/14/09

We did 10 hundred meter sprints around a track (walked the turns).

Bleacher work was a little harder this time. We ran up and down steps back and forth, then double leg hop back and forth, then ran up and down steps back and forth again, and all this concurrently to tax my cardio a little more.

As you can imagine this workout was very difficult due to my amazing DOMS from the previous squat session.

Increased Strength
N/A
Dramatic O2 utilization increase.
N/A
N/A
Increased Pump
N/A
Mood Enhancement
Yeah, cloud nine status. I love the runner's high after these sessions.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
Workout #15: Weights 3/15/09

BB Bench (Close Grip)
145x4
145x4
145x4
145x4
145x4
145x4
145x4
145x4
145x4
145x4

DB Curls (Incline)
35x4
35x4
35x4
35x4
35x4
35x4
35x4
35x4
35x4
35x3

French Press
50x8
60x6
60x6

BB Reverse Curl
55x8
65x8
75x3

Increased Strength
Significant.
Not that much of an O2 demanding workout, but I was never breathing hard.
Yes.
I would agree, I think I pumped out a bit more reps I wouldn't have otherwise.
Increased Pump
Not so much.
Mood Enhancement
Yup, feeling sexy. :)

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
Sounds like you're having an awesome run so far brother :)

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
WOOOOOOT!! Sweet numbers bro! Glad youre feeln sexy...Sponge merger sexy pants

lutherblsstt

One more for ya:

Three Rules for the Open Guard

My instructor David Ruiz (a Rigan Machado Black Belt) in Denver has 3 rules that he teaches that really changed the guard game for me, and specifically the open guard game.

Always maintain a maximum of 90 degrees between your torso and your thighs. It can be less (i.e. knees pulled tighter into your chest) but it can never be more than 90. For example if you opponent goes for a bull fighter style pass by pulling/pushing your legs to one side, you must sit up to maintain your 90 degrees.
Always maintain foot controls on either side of your opponents body (e.g. a foot on either side of the hips, on his shoulders, spidered around one arm & one hip, legs X'd on either hip, etc.).
Knees always bowed/flared out. This makes passing around the guard much more difficult and leaves the best option for the opponent to pass through the center where your arms and grips can come into play more effectively.
I find when someone passes my guard, inevitably, I have broken one of these 3 rules.

Scott
Training at Colorado BJJ in Denver CO.

http://www.grapplearts.com/unpassable-guard.html

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
That's something I never thought about. Thanks man. I'll def practice this today.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
My biceps are still pumped. I still have major DOMS in my legs. Lower calorie intakes suck.

metroba

metroba

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Doms while on a calorie deficit? nice brosef!

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established

The Training Paradigm
by KevinHowell

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.
Bruce Lee

jdg487

jdg487

Awards
  • Established
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.
Bruce Lee
Quoted for truth-

Looking good emerge! How are you liking the adavanced gvt so far?

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
Quoted for truth-

Looking good emerge! How are you liking the adavanced gvt so far?
It's good. Probably the only thing holding my strength in tact now that I notice some LBM loss.