Could I really be burning 3,000 calories a day?

Im Pretty Big

Awards
I use Fitday to track my nutrition, and just checked out the cals burned vs. cals eaten section. Its telling me I burn an average of 3,000 calories a day. I weigh 170lbs and I havent entered any activities into the program and i listed my lifestlye as "seated work, some movement". I've been going by my bmr this whole time, which is under 2k cals, so ive been shooting to eat 2700-3000 cals a day. This could explain why I'm not gaining weight like i want, but i find it hard to beleive im burning 3k cals a day NOT COUNTING lifting and whatever cardio i may do, which would bump it up close to 3500, meaning i would need to eat 4k cals/day to gain.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
10% of calories are burned as heat, so that coupled with day-to-day movement can really add up. Also, your height:size ratio is greater than average, which is also impacting your caloric needs.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
To gain mass you have to eat. and the bigger you get the more you have to eat to feed the muscles. I made this mistake for years.

2lbs of protein per bodyweight (cruise time when you take a break lower protein and cals giving the body a break)

Carbs -depending on your goals

fats-moderate to high

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
To gain mass you have to eat. and the bigger you get the more you have to eat to feed the muscles. I made this mistake for years.

2lbs of protein per bodyweight (cruise time when you take a break lower protein and cals giving the body a break)

Carbs -depending on your goals

fats-moderate to high

2grams? 2lbs is a lot lol

ptdanny

Awards
2lbs per lb would add some size for sure! haha

yeah 2gs would also, thats a lot, even 1.2-1.5g per lb is a lot. Im around 180 so that would be 360g a day of protein.

i like to use heathy fats to bump up my cals, like nuts, and natty peanut butter.

ono

ono

Awards
2lbs per lb would add some size for sure! haha

yeah 2gs would also, thats a lot, even 1.2-1.5g per lb is a lot. Im around 180 so that would be 360g a day of protein.

i like to use heathy fats to bump up my cals, like nuts, and natty peanut butter.
Nobody needs 360g of protein. That's ridiculous.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Although 3000 sounds high, if you're using Fitday you should be able to tell quite quickly if it is accurate or not. I would not be surprised if that is right. I know my my daily expenditure is around 3000 without exercise added back in University because I did alot of walking between classes etc.

For 2 weeks eat the 3000 cals. Factor in your exercise too, but basically see if your weight went up or down, and also if that weight was fat or muscle.

For a more accurate calorie requirement you would need to find out your LBM (Find your bf% and work from there).

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Jay cuttler doesn't eat protien.Neither do other pro bb'rs.It's just a cover up for the drugs.........:think:

Also just remember that the 1-1.5 grams per lb is based off lean body weight.Fat deosn't count.I probably get more than I need but it's better than not getting enough!

ptdanny

Awards
thanks pantera for the correction! it does go by lean body mass

and if you've seen some of the diets of people when they are bulking up or in a mass gaining stage, their protein can go well over 300+g of protein.

bassgod272

Awards
  • Established
I use Fitday to track my nutrition, and just checked out the cals burned vs. cals eaten section. Its telling me I burn an average of 3,000 calories a day. I weigh 170lbs and I havent entered any activities into the program and i listed my lifestlye as "seated work, some movement". I've been going by my bmr this whole time, which is under 2k cals, so ive been shooting to eat 2700-3000 cals a day. This could explain why I'm not gaining weight like i want, but i find it hard to beleive im burning 3k cals a day NOT COUNTING lifting and whatever cardio i may do, which would bump it up close to 3500, meaning i would need to eat 4k cals/day to gain.
how much do you weigh? how tall are you? what EXACTLY do you do or a living everyday? are you an ecto? i am and i burn cals like a mofo. if i want to bulk, i need about 4500 cals per day. on top of diet, get 8hrs of sleep every night. what does your training look like? 6 reps is perfect for pure mass and strength gain. 3-4 sets per exercise with about 2-2.5 min rest time in between sets.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
thanks pantera for the correction! it does go by lean body mass

and if you've seen some of the diets of people when they are bulking up or in a mass gaining stage, their protein can go well over 300+g of protein.
I know man.I'm 175 right now and I might go over 300 grams in a day when I'm bulking sometimes.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yeah, that doesn't mean its necessary tho ;)
No and it's probably not.But there are many who it's necassary for them to go over 300 grams of protien even while cutting.I have read about how much protien some pros have ate in hopes of moving on and it's insane!Kai Greene is one.Thay said how many eggs and chicken breast he ate every day for x amount of time and I couldn't believe it!I have heard pros saying they went well over 2 grams per lb and didn't notice any difference.Their are guys who are over 200lbs of lean mass that will need over 300 grams a day and more cals on a cut then most of us could possibly eat if we had to.This is our point to ono.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've hit over 400g in a day, not fun :food: -> :dump:. really hard to say once you are over around .8g/lb whether there is any significant difference.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I've hit over 400g in a day, not fun :food: -> :dump:. really hard to say once you are over around .8g/lb whether there is any significant difference.
It is hard to say but bb'rs and athletes have "known" for many years that it requires alot of protien to build and maintain muscle.1-1.5 per lb is the "formula" now.I would rather listen to them then some skinny ass scientist who says it isn't necessary.Bb'rs taught themsleves what they know through trial and error.BB'rs taught scientist that a human can make his muscles grow with weights.I would rather listen to bb'rs and strength athletes with personal experience that has been passed down generation to generation is my point.But to quote you easy,"people say alot of things.People used to say the world is flat."

I myself will continue a high protien diet untill bb'rs start saying it isn't necessary and show off what they built with much less than 1-1.5 per lb.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
man, jay cutler's haircut is ridiculous--------------ly funny. and ridiculous.