correcting bad posture?

Surtur

Awards
I hope this is the proper area to post this.

I have started working out again trying to add some pounds i am 6ft 160lbs my biggest problem besides being skinny is bad posture i have a very relaxed posture slouched shoulders and this makes me look even skinnier since having my shoulders sit so low it makes my neck look really long (like a giraffe lol) if i pose and flex it is better but i don't want to walk around flexing all day so my question is what are the best routines for getting my shoulders to sit straighter and higher (basically tightening them up).

I am guessing shoulder presses are good and i do these but what else are good? are shrugs good for this? or what else has an impact on this like back or chest ?
if this is in the wrong section please move it to the proper area of the forum. thank you.
sorry for being such a noob.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You need to train upper back. Things like bent over rows and seated rows are key movements.

This is common for people that overtrain chest, and never train back..it makes your chest muscles pull your shoulders foreword causing a slouch posture.

Bent over DB raises will target the rear delt, and help strengthen and pull the shoulders back.

Surtur

Awards
You need to train upper back. Things like bent over rows and seated rows are key movements.

This is common for people that overtrain chest, and never train back..it makes your chest muscles pull your shoulders foreword causing a slouch posture.

Bent over DB raises will target the rear delt, and help strengthen and pull the shoulders back.
Thanks for the reply it is good to know not to over train chest, i will try focusing more on the upper back and will try what you suggested .

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
You also have to think you only train 1 hour a day. How do you sit, stand, and walk those other 23 hours?

eggplant21

eggplant21

Awards
You also have to think you only train 1 hour a day. How do you sit, stand, and walk those other 23 hours?
This is a very good point, I would also try seated cable rows with a long bar, pull the weight to your chest. This will isolate the rhomboids and traps and pull those shoulders back a bit.

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
Also, if you are conscious of it and correct yourself everytime you realize you're not sitting/standing correctly it will greatly help you.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can't believe that stretching has not been emphasized, yet.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I can't believe that stretching has not been emphasized, yet.
Good point. It could very well be that your muscles are tight and therefor causes you to have incorrect alignment.

take up tai chi? :D

iamhuge3

iamhuge3

Awards
I Thought Posture was all lower back?
the spinal errectors.

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
dude, you need some yoga, probably best style for you is Iyengar, people especialy the bb fraternity knock it but it works bigtime and yoga done properly is way harder than any weight workout.

i've been doing yoga for 7 years at least (only 2 -3 hrs a week) and it was the best thing i could have ever done to compliment my weight training.

this pic was taken about 5 years ago for a website on yoga

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
I Thought Posture was all lower back?
the spinal errectors.
correct posture comes from a correct body alignment that goes from the soles of the feet to the top of your head

the body works in unison and correct posture is not dependent on one particular area in the body.

A lot of lower back pain for instance is attributed to rounded shoulders, weak ab's and tight hamstrings.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Also, if you are conscious of it and correct yourself everytime you realize you're not sitting/standing correctly it will greatly help you.

X2, you can stand with your shoulder blades flat against a wall, then remember how that feels and try to replicate it all day long.

Stackt

Stackt

Awards
dude, you need some yoga, probably best style for you is Iyengar, people especialy the bb fraternity knock it but it works bigtime and yoga done properly is way harder than any weight workout.

i've been doing yoga for 7 years at least (only 2 -3 hrs a week) and it was the best thing i could have ever done to compliment my weight training.

this pic was taken about 5 years ago for a website on yoga

Ive been wanting to do yoga for so long ....I keep saying I'll try but never do . My posture is sometimes off for some reason ...maybe its cause of my hip (my hip is off significantly which causes knee n back pains) this coulld help my dad n brother has that slouch posture ?

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
Ive been wanting to do yoga for so long ....I keep saying I'll try but never do . My posture is sometimes off for some reason ...maybe its cause of my hip (my hip is off significantly which causes knee n back pains) this coulld help my dad n brother has that slouch posture ?
yoga will definitly help but it's very difficult at the start for both the mind and body however if you keep at it, things get better quicker than you would think.

finding the right style of yoga (i recommend Iyengar for begineers) is also very important as is a good instructor or video.

most people (even highly tuned athletes) who try yoga get put off because it's so hard at the start and is very humbling because for most people their bodies are mis-aligned and realigning takes time and dedication.

here's a link to a website (which i co own) to download a free yoga routine targeted towards the beginner, it's decent quality download which we compressed to 700mb so it can fit on a cd. http://yoga.org.nz/yoga_vidoes_download1.htm

the website is in severe need of updating which we haven't got around to it yet as it will cost us abot 5 grand to do so.

cheers

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
correct posture comes from a correct body alignment that goes from the soles of the feet to the top of your head

the body works in unison and correct posture is not dependent on one particular area in the body.

A lot of lower back pain for instance is attributed to rounded shoulders, weak ab's and tight hamstrings.

X2....I used to have lower back pain because of tight Hamstrings and stretching them really works.

I think you need to go crazy on all basic mass building exercises. If I read correctly you are 6 ft and only 160 lbs.

If you build some muscle mass it will build your confidence plus make you more aware of your body and posture. This will take years and must become a way of life.

I took martial arts for years & it toned me up really well but it wasn't till I started lifting weights that my true confidence & posture improved. Subscribe to Muscle & Fitness Magazine for the information on proper form & diet. Devour these mags monthly plus subscribe to Flex for Inspiration...fantastic photography etc. Other mags are good to but I find these the best along with Muscular Development for truely Hardcore!

Good Luck...Lucky

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
I hope this is the proper area to post this.

I have started working out again trying to add some pounds i am 6ft 160lbs my biggest problem besides being skinny is bad posture i have a very relaxed posture slouched shoulders and this makes me look even skinnier since having my shoulders sit so low it makes my neck look really long (like a giraffe lol) if i pose and flex it is better but i don't want to walk around flexing all day so my question is what are the best routines for getting my shoulders to sit straighter and higher (basically tightening them up).

I am guessing shoulder presses are good and i do these but what else are good? are shrugs good for this? or what else has an impact on this like back or chest ?
if this is in the wrong section please move it to the proper area of the forum. thank you.
sorry for being such a noob.
I'm right there with you, I have terrible posture ever since I was a kid. When I started working out I over worked my chest and it blew out of proportion compared to the rest of my body. Over the years I've come to love back work outs and if you do enough, especially in the beginning, you'll notice the next day or two your back is tight and your posture is better just because it feels better to sit up straight.

I know it feels funny because you 'feel' like your puffing out your chest and might be conscious on how you look to other people but believe me after numerous people have told me you look better. I definitely see the difference in pictures. My girl used to tell me my posture hides my body and you cant really tell I work out until I straighten up and then I 'get huge', those are her words not mine, but I know what she's talking about because I become wider and my traps raise up and become really visible and I get that bb look.

Also, I noticed I squeeze my shoulder blades together and roll my shoulder back a lot throughout the day when I become conscious about my posture, you might want to try it.

Since I'm sitting in front of my computer I thought I would mention that if your in front of a computer a lot, for me thats 90% of my day, you might want to elevate your monitor. I noticed a few years ago having a monitor on a desktop is too low for me and I end up slouching for hours in front of it. I've since raised it about 4 inches and it helps. I would raise it to eye level or slightly higher if I could find something more stable.

I hope this helps, gl bro.

Stackt

Stackt

Awards
yoga will definitly help but it's very difficult at the start for both the mind and body however if you keep at it, things get better quicker than you would think.

finding the right style of yoga (i recommend Iyengar for begineers) is also very important as is a good instructor or video.

most people (even highly tuned athletes) who try yoga get put off because it's so hard at the start and is very humbling because for most people their bodies are mis-aligned and realigning takes time and dedication.

here's a link to a website (which i co own) to download a free yoga routine targeted towards the beginner, it's decent quality download which we compressed to 700mb so it can fit on a cd. http://yoga.org.nz/yoga_vidoes_download1.htm

the website is in severe need of updating which we haven't got around to it yet as it will cost us abot 5 grand to do so.

cheers
thanks for the site ....downloading as we speak : )

sreed11

sreed11

Awards
  • Established
A good trick to try is everytime you look at the time fix your posture.

Rommel

Rommel

Awards
Most examples of bad posture are caused, because the angonist, and antogonist aren't close to be equally strong.

Like Outer/inner abdominals, and erector Spinea.
Strong benchpress, along with weak horizontal(example BB Bend over Row) row strength.