Conservative Nonsense in the War on Drugs

50joe

Awards
  • Established
I would never admit to being wrong when I'm right. Drugs are poisoning our country and destroying our children. I will continue to fight the war. And if a few non violent criminals, and make no mistake about it, they are criminals, get arrested, well, they shouldn't be involved in illegal activities.
I found this kind of funny, considering how you mentioned that you smoked pot a long time ago. What if you got your ass busted? Obviously now that you are a vet, and a LEO, I doubt you were horribly "destroyed" for using drugs at a younger age. What if you are busting people that if left alone, would have turned out to be someone like yourself, who is good at their job and tries to make the world a better place.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I would never admit to being wrong when I'm right. Drugs are poisoning our country and destroying our children. I will continue to fight the war. And if a few non violent criminals, and make no mistake about it, they are criminals, get arrested, well, they shouldn't be involved in illegal activities.
Drugs arent fucking up the country, uneducated morons are fucking up the country. Drugs dont sell themselves to kids.

Save your pity for someone else. I follow lawful orders. Shall I BOLD the word "lawful" for you? I have not come across an immoral law on the books lately. Could you be more specific. And here you go again with "people like me" crap. Would those be the law abiding citizens, military, law enforcement, religious, family oriented, ....exactly what people like me?
I can tell you what's immoral...someone rapes a woman a goes to jail for 5 years. Someone gets caught growing a few pot plants and goes to jail for 15. Justify that.

Delta dont get me wrong, I have total respect for you as a police officer...I wouldnt want that job and I know that it has to be done. What you say about changing the laws is dead on...the problem is too many people that would like to see those kind of laws changed have their head up their ass.

I attribute this to my parents. They educated me. I never felt a need to go do a drug. But I still would like to see a lift on some of the prohibition, or lessening of penalties. Perhaps it will even be a bad idea... but you will never find out unless it's changed. I just think there is a fundamental difference between someone using something in private, and bothering others.
I always thought by the phrase "My freedom ends where your freedom begins" .
Well, the Netherlands has a much more open view on drug use and their rates of abuse and violence are far lower than those in the US, when compared to their total population.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I found this kind of funny, considering how you mentioned that you smoked pot a long time ago. What if you got your ass busted? Obviously now that you are a vet, and a LEO, I doubt you were horribly "destroyed" for using drugs at a younger age. What if you are busting people that if left alone, would have turned out to be someone like yourself, who is good at their job and tries to make the world a better place.
One thing I think is messed up about society is that if Delta had been busted, and changed and convicted of a felony, he would have never been able to be a police officer. That's fucked up, because obviously he takes his job seriously and enjoys it. I have much respect for him for that.

The same thing happened to a close family member of mine...served 4 years in the Marines with a perfect record. His girlfriend dumped him when he got out and he went a little nuts..did some drugs and got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. Ended up with a felony on his record and 3 years probation, because my old man isnt a CEO/Corporate management type and couldnt afford the legal team it would have taken to clear his record.

All the kid wanted to do is go back in the Corps after he got his Bachelor's degree. Can't do it because of the felony. Then he thought it would be cool to be a police office, nope. He can't even work for the fucking railway.

And this kid is one of the toughest, most honest and upstanding guys I know.

**** that.

BV

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Save that Nazi crap for someone else. Laws have evolved over time, and yes, there were/are some bad ones that have been on the books. But they have been changed. Like I told you, if you don't agree with them, change them through the proper channel.

So now I would happily abuse, torture, and kill people, and I'm prejudice because I don't think people should be allowed to use drugs....sorry sport. I wouldn't do any of those things, but I'd throw your butt in jail for drugs, that you can count on.
So you would break the rules under some circumstances, yes or no? If yes, please at least provide a bare outline of when that's acceptable. I've provided you with a similar outline as to when I think drug use is acceptable and when it is not, return the favor.

I'm happy you'll throw my butt in jail for doing drugs. It means I was right about you. I don't know that you are predjudiced against any race or religion as I've never heard your opinion on that. I have heard your opinion on the rules though, and sometimes rules are unjust, sometimes massively so. As I've asked, a few times now, when does obeying a rule become wrong and therefore breaking it at least understandable, if not right in the strictest sense?

The Law for the Protection of German Blood, perhaps you've heard of that? It was a law, or a rule as you call it, in part laying out how Jews were defined and to be expunged from German society. How many people should have obeyed that rule and willingly waddled onto the cattle cars and into the ghettos and gas chambers while they worked through the "proper channels" to change the rules?

You have made the absolute statement that the rules are the rules and should be obeyed period, not me. Therefore you're the one who has to defend that position if you want to continue this debate. I dare say I've presented you with a couple of historical examples of rules where you can't defend that absolute view. Simply put, that's because it is wrong. Logically, morally, ethically. In every way that matters such blind and unquestioning subserviance to the law (rules) is wrong whether or not they are just or unjust.

You adhere to the higher authority of right and wrong, or "what you perceive to be right or wrong". You want to make the rules, become a politician. You're right. I take orders. From people I respect and trust.
Well I've explained myself fairly in depth for such a message board debate as to why I think it is wrong to lock people up for nonviolent behavior that endangers no other person. I've done so on both moral and practical grounds. I've yet to hear anything from you justifying your view except:

1) I'm older, therefore I'm right.
2) I'm a veteran, therefore I'm right.
3) Some people screw up with drugs, therefore all users should be locked up.
4) I've seen people make the wrong decision with drugs, therefore I'm right (corrollary of reason 1 perhaps).
5) I've seen violence surround the sale and distribution of drugs, therefore I'm right.
6) Those are the rules, therefore I'm right.

In a nutshell that's what you've said. To sum my views/responses up in a nutshell:

1) Nonsense and not worth a reply.
2) Nonsense and not worth a reply.
3) Nonsense and not worth a reply, however in short hand we are no more justified in banning guns and locking up all those who posses guns because a few people use them irresponsibly. In so doing we violate their rights. Whether you like it or not, if someone is not hurting another human being or behaving recklessly so such harm is likely, they have the right to smoke, snort, swallow and inject whatever the **** they please. They have this right because if they don't have it, anything and everything can be made illegal, and this is so because such a change in the law from concentrating on how people affect each other to how they affect themselves, or to just being completely arbitrary, leads to a situation where there is no valid distinction to be made between a law and an aesthetic opinion which can not and should not be enforced on others. Such reasoning puts law above ethics, above morality and above justice. The correct relationship is the other way around. Ethics and morality come before and above law. Justice comes before the law, if need be at the expense of the law, and often in spite of the law.
4) People will make those decisions regardless of the drugs' legality, alcohol use/abuse during alcohol prohibition as an example. Making the drugs legal will have the same effect as the legalization of alcohol, it will ensure a safer product to at least get rid of accidental deaths due to mere use, and will eliminate the violence surrounding the black market trade.
5) See above. Once more, with alcohol as an example, once prohibition is repealed the violence stops. People can still **** up and do stupid and irresponsible things under the influence. They will do that regardless of their drug's legality. Legalization eliminates the black market and the associated violence. Legalization also narrows the focus of the law and allows for more efficient use of limited law enforcement funds, because instead of trying to sweep up all users the law only concentrates on those who are harming others or acting extremely recklessly.
6) Althought I've spent some time on this particular response of yours because it more than any other really annoys me, in the end it boils down to the same as 1, 2 and 3, nonsense and not worth a reply.

A person of such arbitrary action, who so desperately lacks any moral and ethical reflection concerning their own actions in support of the state as you, is what destroys and poisons society, not drugs. Drug dealers who sell to kids have a similar lack of reflection. The consequences of their actions don't bother them, they don't care if innocent lives are destroyed because of what they do, so long as their own interests and views of the world prevail in their own brains at the end of the day. The legal manufacturers of drugs however do care or at least have some incentive to eliminate any unintentional harmful effects of their drugs. They have at least some incentive to behave in an appropriate manner that doesn't hurt others.

Shall I BOLD the word "lawful" for you?
No, because unlike you I addressed the point when you brought it up. You've only in this post finally admitted bad laws exist. Progress! And it seems the bolding helped as you only addressed the point after I did that. Perhaps I was right about your vision.

I have not come across an immoral law on the books lately. Could you be more specific.
Any victimless crime, or have you missed the thread? I understand we disagree on the point, but you've yet to offer a real reason as to why the peaceful and otherwise nonviolent users must be locked up along with all the others. You've said you don't care if they get caught in the sweep of the law. Well it's fine you don't care, but that's not a reason as to why they should be locked up. A simple change in the law lets you deal with the problem population exclusively and leaves them alone. Such a change lets you concentrate limited resources on the real problem as well, so it benefits you as well as the peaceful, nonviolent, nonreckless users. You've said drugs poison society, I've yet to see any evidence that it's anything but prohibition causing many of the problems you mention, and I've yet to see any evidence that the problems that aren't caused by prohibition and that can justifiably be laid at the feet of drug abuse are in any positive way affected by continued prohibition. More to the point, as during alcohol prohibition, those problems are exacerbated by prohibition. They are made worse. It is self defeating and making all the problems you supposedly want to cure society of worse, not better.

And here you go again with "people like me" crap. Would those be the law abiding citizens, military, law enforcement, religious, family oriented, ....exactly what people like me?
People who destroy the lives of others for unjust reasons. People who obey and enforce arbitrary laws that destroy those families you are so oriented towards because one or more the parents or children uses a subsance you disapprove of. After all, they can use alcohol and can be hooked on pain killers with a prescription, but God forbid they puff a joint and get caught.

You are willing to lock people up and destroy their lives for reasons which you yourself admit are at times unjust or 'wrong' or 'bad,' perhaps even massively so. Even if those people are simply caught up in a larger web of justly arrested people, in doing so you are the epitomy of exactly what you are supposed to be protecting citizens from: mindless violence against peaceful people. Perpetual prohibition for perpetual sobriety and health I guess would be the way to put it. If you get the reference you might see the problem. You are sacrificing a peaceful sum of citizens who have been made into criminals through an arbitrarily passed series of laws for the achievement of your version of a perfect world. I, on the other hand, understand people are different, have different tastes and act in different ways, which is why the only laws I support, and would willingly enforce were that my job, are ones that restrict behaviors on the part of one person which are inherently harmnful to another person, or so reckless as to be likely to cause such harm. Using drugs in and itself is not such a behavior. I am not talking about driving under the influence, I am not talking about falling deep into a pit of addiction and neglecting your kids/family, I am not talking about people who rob or steal to feed their habit, I am not talking about people who act violently or recklessly in any way towards others while under the influence or in an attempt to get under the influence.

You either can't differentiate between the violent and nonviolent, the reckless and the responsible, or more frighteningly you simply won't make such a distinction or can but don't care enough to do so.

Perhaps at base what we're dealing with here is in fact what was the motivation behind prohibition originally. Perhaps you don't care about those people being locked up because you want them locked up. Perhaps you can distinguish between the peaceful and the violent, and just don't care because there's a certain kind of person you want to eliminate regardless of what they have or have not done to deserve any punishment, and drug use is just the excuse. I suspect that's the case, that through aesthetic and moral arguments you've been convinced that nonviolent drug users are the equivalent of a junkie who murders a whole family and robs their house, but only after raping every female in the house, to support his habit. In other words what I've said in one of my original posts, and thanks for helping me demonstrate this point:

That's also why few people tend to change their minds on this topic. Once they've bought the "drugs are Evil" line rationality takes a back seat when it comes to discussing the issue. Do a search and find out how many times this quote or a paraphrase of it has been uttered: "If we make marijuana legal what's next, rape and murder?" Not only are such statements not unheard of, back in my school days as an activist on this issue I heard it all the time and saw it and similar quotes from legislators all the time. That's how detached from reality a lot of our most highly placed drug warriors are. If someone is willing to equate legally being able to smoke a joint with raping and/or murdering another human being, there's really nothing you can accomplish with that person in terms of debate because any connection to reality on this issue has fled their minds a long, long time ago.

Last edited:
CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I can tell you what's immoral...someone rapes a woman a goes to jail for 5 years. Someone gets caught growing a few pot plants and goes to jail for 15. Justify that.
It's the rules...

To another point I should thank Delta, as he illustrates two important points about rationality and logical argument.

One, a point of argumentation. If your opponent goes to the absolute, you should go to the extreme. In the real world there are no absolutes but there are extremes. He says Follow the rules no matter what (absolute), I say So you would follow the Nazis (extreme)? I seriously doubt that he would follow the Nazis, but it serves to demonstrate the point that his "Follow the Rules" argument is useless and proves nothing. It's a successful form of argument, though one that does raise hackles on those who don't know what it is or the reason for which it is being employed. Which goes to point Two...

Two, an interesting observation, is that One, "they go to the absolute, you go to the extreme," is basically the reverse of the Straw Man fallacy. There you would misrepresent your opponent's view as ridiculous and shoot that misrepresentation down, and claim victory. Often this is done by misrepresenting a more nuanced view as an absolute, which is easily shot down. You can see this in his arguments. While I have clearly not said "people should be allowed to do whatever they want," that is exactly how he and others I have argued with on these boards have represented my arguments.

At times it makes me laugh and at times it seriously frustrates me, that people either really never learned how to think, and I'm talking about the processes here not the premises, or they just aren't reading what you write, because they certainly aren't responding to it. I often wonder if people really do walk through their lives never learning how, or never caring to learn how, to properly examine their own lives and their own actions. If they really walk through their whole lives never listening to others, just waiting for their turn to talk. Had I gone down that route I probably would be of the "Do what thou will and that shall be the whole of the law," crowd. I thank whatever gods may exist that I'm not, though it does frustrate me some when people put me in that crowd where I clearly do not belong.

Last edited:

BioHazzard

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You have the right to question any rule you don't agree with. You do not have the right disobey it. I will never decide that it is ok to break the rules. Rules are what keeps society from disaster. If everyone was left to make their own rules, there would be nothing but chaos and disorder. You are not free to do whatever you want to do. Where is that written?
You are 29 years old and you have all the answers. You've seen it all, done it all, and now you feel that all the laws you disagree with should be abolished. Once again I'll say it, if you don't like the laws change them. If you can convince enough people to see your point of view, you will succeed. As far as me not being an American because I follow the rules, well, I'm a veteran. USMC 74-76. You?
A word to the wise. Do not waste time arguing with 'fringe lunatic'. :icon_lol: Guys like us, we got a real job to do. 'Fringe lunatics' just BS on the internet ad infinitum. The good thing is, as long as they are safely quarantined and left to bark on the forum, it is all good. lol Let them have their fun in their little world. lol If Darwin is right, in a million years, they will catch up to reality. :icon_lol: :bow28:

Whiskey Steve

Awards
  • Established
A word to the wise. Do not waste time arguing with 'fringe lunatic'. :icon_lol: Guys like us, we got a real job to do. 'Fringe lunatics' just BS on the internet ad infinitum. The good thing is, as long as they are safely quarantined and left to bark on the forum, it is all good. lol Let them have their fun in their little world. lol If Darwin is right, in a million years, they will catch up to reality. :icon_lol: :bow28:
:wtf: and your reasoning would be?

You haven't won a debate with CDB yet. You just say "oh they are leftest" or "they're stupid"....... and then you use smilies to make your unfunny jokes.

If we truly are wrong then you should be able to make that point. But from what you have shown I truly feel you lack the intellect to prove any or even one of your platforms.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Once more you've said a great deal of nothing. A real job? Reality? If I recall correctly you both have government jobs, calling that a real job is like calling Bush's National guard service serving in a forward position. The VC would have had to have been opening take out restaurants before he saw them.

You're one of the worst trolls I've seen, Bio. You can't make a point without an insult or smiley, you dismiss anyone who disagrees with you without the barest explanation of why, and you don't even have the balls and perhaps lack even the ability to type, and speak as well I'd suppose, a genuine insult. You can't speak your mind rationally, without insults and without smileys on a board like this where there is no adrenaline of in person argument, no threat, nothing but words? Even the most unskillful of trolls lapse into logic and rationality occasionaly, if only to keep the fun going. And you yourself continually spend time arguing on these boards, in your own Special Olympics way of course. Out of your 75 total posts a not insignificant number seem to be here in the politics forum lately.

What do you do in the real world when you have the cause and/or desire to insult someone, spit at their little sister and hold up a pic of the Walmart smiley? What do you do if someone voices their opposition to one of your views, claim you have a "real job"? I'm sure it shuts them up, because it's such an out-there, irrelevant free association that I doubt anyone but one familiar with your type would know what to make of it. And what is your type? If you can't defend, dennigrate. A simple plan for the simple of mind.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I wish CDB was the president
No you don't. I'm good in my thoughts and reasoning, but thoughts and reasoning aren't all there is to life. It might not be the best idea to **** that girl missing teeth at the bar, but depending on the circumstances I'd be perfectly willing to whip out a paper bag and go to work. Just as I'd happily nuke the entire middle east just to end this **** once and for all. I'd feel real bad about it, but I'd probably do it. I'd also let the power go to my head in other ways and do ridiculous ****, like force everyone to wear nothing but thigh high leather boots and purple beanie helicopter hats on Thursdays. Once more, I'd feel real bad about it, but I'd probably do it if I could. Me as president would be just as bad as anyone else in a position of power. Perhaps more interesting, more amusing and I'd hope more effective to the point of being deadly, but just as bad as Bush or Clinton or any of the rest of them. What freedoms I got back for you would come at the cost of dealing with the people who want to exercise those freedoms. While I don't think such people belong in prison, and while they wouldn't be technically be hurting you, they sure as hell can be real fucking annoying.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
A word to the wise. Do not waste time arguing with 'fringe lunatic'. Guys like us, we got a real job to do. 'Fringe lunatics' just BS on the internet ad infinitum. The good thing is, as long as they are safely quarantined and left to bark on the forum, it is all good. lol Let them have their fun in their little world. lol If Darwin is right, in a million years, they will catch up to reality.
If Darwin is right, neo-conservative fascists will all evolve into a single homogeneous brain that eats little children.

Whiskey Steve

Awards
  • Established
like force everyone to wear nothing but thigh high leather boots and purple beanie helicopter hats on Thursdays..
I want two trailers. And every wednesday is cake day. I want a cake three stories high. And I'll act suprised even though I know that every wednesday is cake day.

-will farrell in bewitched

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
No you don't. I'm good in my thoughts and reasoning, but thoughts and reasoning aren't all there is to life. It might not be the best idea to **** that girl missing teeth at the bar, but depending on the circumstances I'd be perfectly willing to whip out a paper bag and go to work. Just as I'd happily nuke the entire middle east just to end this **** once and for all. I'd feel real bad about it, but I'd probably do it. I'd also let the power go to my head in other ways and do ridiculous ****, like force everyone to wear nothing but thigh high leather boots and purple beanie helicopter hats on Thursdays. Once more, I'd feel real bad about it, but I'd probably do it if I could. Me as president would be just as bad as anyone else in a position of power. Perhaps more interesting, more amusing and I'd hope more effective to the point of being deadly, but just as bad as Bush or Clinton or any of the rest of them. What freedoms I got back for you would come at the cost of dealing with the people who want to exercise those freedoms. While I don't think such people belong in prison, and while they wouldn't be technically be hurting you, they sure as hell can be real fucking annoying.
Honesty at its best.:clap2:

Whiskey Steve

Awards
  • Established
You're one of the worst trolls I've seen, Bio. And you yourself continually spend time arguing on these boards, in your own Special Olympics way of course.
ahhh......that's rich.

delta314

Awards
  • Established
CDB, I won't quote the thread, as we are taking up way too much space. Drug addicts are not treated the same as dealers. More times than not, the judge will impose some type of counseling and/or therapy for the users. Nobody gets sent to prison for smoking a joint. Get caught with 100lbs. in your trunk and yes, you are quite fu*ked. You ask me when I wouldn't enforce a law. If I truly felt the law was immoral, I wouldn't enforce it. I would resign as a officer, and work in the private sector. But what would happen if every officer hit the streets and only enforced the laws that they thought were right. Officer Joe thinks it's ok to go 70 mph as long as no one else is on the road, even if the limit is 45 mph. (he might not realize that the curve up ahead was analyzed by the dept. of transportation and at speeds over 45, you have a 90% chance of losing control of your vehicle. Officer Bill thinks it's ok to smoke pot, so he doesn't do anything when he see's three guys smoking a joint on the corner. He doesn't realize that the joint is laced with PCP and they are armed and getting their nut on so they go rob a liquor store. I know you think that I'm just a "robot" for the state, (I actually work for the city), but things are not always as they seem on the streets. And what you might perceive as a non-violent, not hurting anyone act, can turn to **** very quick. Do I have to like what happened to BV's family member? Hell no. Sometimes terrible things happen to good people. But it could have been worse. He could have gone to score some dope and because he isn't your typical doper, and looks like a Marine, one of the dealers could have gotten scared and shot and killed him. That would have been a much worse scenario. And had I been busted way back when, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to do all the good things that I've accomplished.
I never said I was right because I am older.
I never said I was right because I'm a veteran.
I never said all users should be locked up, but they should be arrested and given the chance kick the habit.

This is the way you interpret my statements. You like to turn everything I say around and then use it to make your point. I will say this for you, you would make a very good lawyer....

So I can assume by your statement that:

You are for wiping out an entire country because you've had enough of the middle East nonsense. You would nuke them all, the good, the bad, the young, the old, ....
That is scary. It makes me glad that I "think" the way I do, and not like you.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
I fully agree with CDB`s point about it being big business. At least that is what I heard. Jails, more jails and lots of Correction officers. More police. Rehabs, halfway houses, counselors and out patient facilities. Not to mention all the layers of control in the Gov. That`s a lot of money!

Fear! Politico`s love this one. Law and order! Lock um up and throw away the key. Before they come get you!:run:

Legalize drugs and you remove the criminal element... but with the leaning to a faith based Gov we are seeing this will not happen. We would rather punish the guilty in the name of ... than except responsibility for educating society(our children).

Imagine the projects that could be undertaken with the money that was saved. Dump it into the infastructure
of the nation. Highways, bridges, waterways ect... Jobs! That would mean something. Where you see the highest drug addiction and crime rates you also see the lowest employment and under employment rates.

And **** the dealers. Shoot them all!
How can I respect someone who knowingly sells death to children. And don`t try and tell me they don`t know that the addict just kicked in someones back door to steal something that you worked for to support their habit.

The addicts deserve a chance. A CHANCE.(OR 3) Not 30! Yes I am recovered and know some who have been through the system so many times that insurance will no longer pay.
And I mean Medicade not private. They don`t want it and we waste money trying to give it to them.:blink:

I don`t think there is a place for CRACK COCAINE in a civilized society.
This my friends is the addict maker.
But pot?!? Is alcohol any less dangerous. Cocaine? Heroin? Meth?(another monster maker)
We would remove the stigma of illict activity, how many addicts do you know that take prescription meds. I know a few. But maybe produce a level of society that is just like we have now(addicts) but more controlable. Yes some do need controlling to enable the rest of us to live securely.

This is dialogue not an ARGUEMENT! If you want to argue find someone else.

And don`t even think this is limited to the ghetto. Operation Sunrise took place in my city. Part was to crack down on the buyers and take their cars. Guess who lost the most cars? Suburbia! Also a city bus and a trash truck were impounded while the operators copped thier ****.:hammer:

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
The war on drugs happens for these reasons:

2) Its great political material. A conservative could point the drug use as a sign that there's too many druggies, criminals, and gays and there's not enough Jesus. The liberal side can attack it for its socioeconomics.
This is the abuse of christianity, and people who use the word of god in this manner are phony. Reminds me of the Catcher in the Rye.

I dont know if your serious or not, but I plan on it. I'm thinking of starting a weekly preaching thread in the BLOGS forum.

Drugs are looked down on for a reason. That reason? Most people who do drugs are crazy. How often do you hear the headline "coke user leads re-location efforts of Katrina victims." Not very often. How often do you hear "Heroin user kills family of 5." People hear this of the heroin user, then they jump on bandwaggons and assume ALL heroin users are evil people.

Now how does this tie into phony christians in politics?...

First of all I'm not saying I dont sin, because I do. There is a large difference between my sins and politicians. My sins happen, I ask for forgivness, and the deal is over. These people who sin in "the name of christ" are living in a constant state of sin because they try to gear the country towards there phony ways, thus, living in a constant state of sin. Example- I got nice with a girl my friend is basically in love with. I sinned, but then I asked for forgiveness, and it was a done deal. A senator who supports abortion is sinning 24/7 while he is in office.

Now why are people who say "we need more god" looked up to? Because religion is looked on in high reguards. Therefor, anyone who is "religous" is looked at in the same light.

Here are some prime examples of phonyness and abuse of "in the name of christ" or simmular ideas.

1) George Bush usually finishes his speaches with "god bless america." Funny, Georgy, because you started a war. I believe its the 3 commandment that states "Thou shalt not kill." The definition of kill is "to remove like from person or other living thing." The commandment reads THOU SHALT NOT KILL. It does not read "thou shalt not kill, but you can kill those who threaten you, or those who have sinned." It reads thou shalt not kill. Anyone who kills, especally someone who started a war, for any reason, breaks a commandment. Don't put shame to god's name by saying "god bless america" after telling the country your war plans.

2) The psychos that bomb abortion clinics in the name of Christ. Re-read my above paragraph about Bush if you dont know why this is doesnt make sence.

3) That reverond that ran for democratic nomination in the last election. I forgot his name. Either way, he ran for president as a "man of god," which is wierd because he supported abortion.

Bottom line- People will jump on bandwaggos the first chance they get. They assume all druggies are bad, and all "men of god" are good.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
Bottom line- People will jump on bandwaggos the first chance they get. They assume all druggies are bad, and all "men of god" are good.

An old joke goes "What is the difference between an alcoholic and a drug addict?"
"An alcoholic will steal your wallet but a drug addict will steal it then help you look for it!"

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Not that it effects my life in any way, shape, or form, but someone gave me a neg rep for my above post. I come only with the words of peace and you (you know who you are) feel that I have offened you for some reason. :blink:

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
CDB, I won't quote the thread, as we are taking up way too much space. Drug addicts are not treated the same as dealers. More times than not, the judge will impose some type of counseling and/or therapy for the users. Nobody gets sent to prison for smoking a joint. Get caught with 100lbs. in your trunk and yes, you are quite fu*ked. You ask me when I wouldn't enforce a law. If I truly felt the law was immoral, I wouldn't enforce it. I would resign as a officer, and work in the private sector.
Good move, a friend of mine did that though his resignation was related to how his department dealth with, not to put too fine a point on, the harmless but still psychotic among us. The tinfoil hat crowd.

But what would happen if every officer hit the streets and only enforced the laws that they thought were right. Officer Joe thinks it's ok to go 70 mph as long as no one else is on the road, even if the limit is 45 mph. (he might not realize that the curve up ahead was analyzed by the dept. of transportation and at speeds over 45, you have a 90% chance of losing control of your vehicle.
I wouldn't agree with this analogy for a couple of reasons. For one, no one can be sure there isn't anyone else on the road. In my own experience and the experience of the majority of people I know you can be sure you're not endangering others when doing drugs, all drugs from weed to heroin. Those actions inherently affect you and can be inherently harnful to you depending on the substance, but no one else gets hurt involuntarily. Two, when you drive you have the inherent ability to lethally affect other people's lives with your decisions and, relating to what I just said, they have little to no choice in the matter. In such a case driving recklessly inherently puts others in danger against their will and without their permission, as they aren't getting on the road thinking people will be out to kill them, they are just going to the store. As a matter of practicality they can't as easily dissassociate themselves from reckless drivers as they can from drug users they'd rather not know. Three, it is possible to objectively measure the curve and come to such a conclusion as a reasonable speed limit. Such objective measuremens of the liklihood someone will do a drug and flip out are impossible, and in this country we can't start locking people up for what they might do.

Using your analogy, prohibition would translate to, for example, locking up everyone in a sports car on the assumption that they will use the extra handling capability of their cars to endanger others and go around that curve over the speed limit. Which, as with drug prohibition, makes no sense. Jokes about BMWs and porcupines aside, there's nothing inherent in the ownership of a sports car that means someone will be endangering the lives of others. They can be owned and driven safely. Allowing the range of punishment you describe for a user vs a dealer, does that mean it would make sense to lock up all Ferrari dealers but to only fine the owners, or put them in some behavioral modification program that makes them like Hondas? No, it wouldn't.

The problem is not with drugs or the cars, it is with the people who would hurt or endanger others, and whether they drive a sports car or not, or use this or that drug or not, are not reliable measures of what type of person they are and should not be used as a gauge for punishment of any kind.

Officer Bill thinks it's ok to smoke pot, so he doesn't do anything when he see's three guys smoking a joint on the corner. He doesn't realize that the joint is laced with PCP and they are armed and getting their nut on so they go rob a liquor store.
As with alcohol, use/intoxication in public would and should have some reasonable restrictions I would say. But in all these examples, once again you seem to conflating use of drugs with violence against others and the two are not the same. Correlation is not causation. I often see people talking on cell phones while driving, and doing so very recklessly, but that isn't the fault of the cell phone. It's the idiot behind the wheel, who would be driving like a moron regardless of the phone.

You say users are treated differently by the court system, but they have no business being in that system at all, nor do the dealers to the point that they were created by the laws. Alcohol is sold legally. Prohibition is enacted and within less than a year violent organized crime goes through the roof, dealers are on the street, black market clubs are opened up, adulterated alcohol is sold and kills many, the unscrupulous criminals make shitloads of money without caring about the consequences of their actions nor considering themselves subject to any common sense laws. Do you think the bartender at an illegal speakeasy would have taken someone's car keys if they were too drunk, ever? I know many legal bartenders that would and have though. Legality pulls the sale and use of the drugs into the purvey of mostly scrupulous people and out of the hands of criminals. Drugs will exist and be bought, sold and used no matter what. It's just a question of who you would rather be doing it, Pfizer or Al Capone.

Becayse, when alcohol is made legal again all of sudden the crime surrounding alcohol distribution disappears. Prohibition creates criminals and then punishes them and uses their continued existence as the reason for more prohibitive laws. Do you not see the circle? Get rid of the prohibition and almost all the negatives you seem to assoicate with drug use disappear, because they are associated with prohibition not drugs.

You would still have people sadly throwing their lives away, you would still have people behaivng recklessly, but you would have those things anyway, and you would not have gang warfare and crime statistics through the roof. You would not have dealers on the street pushing on kids and recruiting them into gangs. I'm not saying the world would be perfect, but given our and other countries' experiences with various prohibitions of various substances and their repeals/reigning in, it seems not just reasonable to say things would be much better, it seems blatantly obvious.

I know you think that I'm just a "robot" for the state, (I actually work for the city), but things are not always as they seem on the streets. And what you might perceive as a non-violent, not hurting anyone act, can turn to **** very quick.
Considering you admitted there are some laws you would not enforce, no I don't consider you a robot. I do think you are wrong, misguided and misinformed, but not evil. The problem with what you say above is that argument can be applied to any behavior or the use of any substance, so what's the standard? Who gets a ticket, who gets sent to prison and who gets the chair for what arbitrary act because it might precede a criminal act? When a person hasn't hurt or attempted to hurt another person there is no crime that was committed, there is not reason to throw them in jail. If an officer sees a situation he could certainly look into it to make sure it's harmless. However, when make whatever act he is looking into illegal in and of itself he no longer has a choice once he gets involved, at least according to you, correct? Then even if it turns out the situation was harmless, he still has to arrest the people involved.

Have you ever considered that if Officer Bill concentrates on those kids who were smoking a joint, and it turns out that's all they were doing, he might have missed a perfectly sober person committing a robbery in that same spot five minutes later? He misses this because he can't exercise his judgment on the law and has to take the time to at least issue those kids FATs, or even take them in if, God forbid, they have enough marijuana to qualify as an intent to distribute, and then spend the next four or five million years at a desk filling out paperwork on their arrest. Your example cuts both ways, which shows the futility of prohibition. It might help to concentrate on drugs in some instances, it might hurt. Therefore the drugs aren't the determining factor and he should be concentrating on something else.

If the drugs were legal however, Officer Bill could go up to people using in public and at least check them out a bit, and if he comes to the conclusion that they are no threat, just some kids having a good time, he can let them go and get back to his job of protecting the populace. If you are right in your implication that officers can not pick and choose the laws they enforce, then all the more reason to make sure those laws are just and practical, and all the more reason to eliminate prohibition so that judgment can be placed in their hands where it belongs.

Do I have to like what happened to BV's family member? Hell no. Sometimes terrible things happen to good people. But it could have been worse. He could have gone to score some dope and because he isn't your typical doper, and looks like a Marine, one of the dealers could have gotten scared and shot and killed him. That would have been a much worse scenario. And had I been busted way back when, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to do all the good things that I've accomplished.
I never said I was right because I am older.
I never said I was right because I'm a veteran.
I never said all users should be locked up, but they should be arrested and given the chance kick the habit.
And there again I have to say you are seriously misinformed. Not all users are addicts, just as not all drinkers are alcoholics and therefore do not all belong in AA or some other recovery program, nor is the government in any way justified in tracking all alcohol users down and forcing them into such programs, and the same for users of other drugs. Many of the people in your system have no business being there. It's a waste of everyone's time and everyone's money and a violation of their rights. That's reason enough in my book to end prohibition right there.

This is the way you interpret my statements. You like to turn everything I say around and then use it to make your point. I will say this for you, you would make a very good lawyer....
I have done nothing but quote you and follow your reasoning to its conclusion to show how ridiculous and out of touch with reality it is. You said the rules are not to be broken, ever. You now admit there are some rules that obeying and/or enforcing would be wrong. Laws against nonviolent people, laws specifically against victimless crimes like drug use, are such rules. They are wrong. They are wrong morally, they are wrong ethically, they are wrong legally as the girations and contortions of the US and various state constitutions often necessary to justify such laws defy rationality. They are wrong on a practical level because they incorrectly identify problem populations and waste limited LE money and resources on restricting and punishing people who are no threat to anyone else and never will be such a threat.

So I can assume by your statement that:

You are for wiping out an entire country because you've had enough of the middle East nonsense. You would nuke them all, the good, the bad, the young, the old, ....
That is scary. It makes me glad that I "think" the way I do, and not like you.
I never said I wasn't a hypocrite or an asshole. As with everyone else, I firmly believe everything would be so much better if only I were in charge. Especially if I get to do the beanie hat and thigh high thing.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Imagine the projects that could be undertaken with the money that was saved. Dump it into the infastructure of the nation. Highways, bridges, waterways ect... Jobs! That would mean something. Where you see the highest drug addiction and crime rates you also see the lowest employment and under employment rates.
Build a bridge and when it's done, so is the job. Attack an undefeatable 'problem' like drug use, it means much more consistent job delivery through the public sector.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
I never said I wasn't a hypocrite or an asshole. As with everyone else, I firmly believe everything would be so much better if only I were in charge. Especially if I get to do the beanie hat and thigh high thing.
:icon_lol:

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
Build a bridge and when it's done, so is the job. Attack an undefeatable 'problem' like drug use, it means much more consistent job delivery through the public sector.
Sad but true.:run:

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Drugs are looked down on for a reason. That reason? Most people who do drugs are crazy.
That is wrong, Spatch. Our own government says 70 million people have used illegal drugs at one time or another. Do you really believe all those people are insane?

How often do you hear the headline "coke user leads re-location efforts of Katrina victims." Not very often. How often do you hear "Heroin user kills family of 5."
You don't hear the former very often because such a person doesn't advertise their use. If I may, a few headlines from people I personally know who use drugs:

"Successful Private Sector Educator Gets Two Major Promotions and Significant Raises in One Year While Regularly Using Cocaine, Alcohol and MDMA On the Weekends"

"Behaviorial Psychology Major Marries Beautiful Woman, Has Two Kids, Never Commits a Violent Crime in His Life and Also Regularly Uses Alcohol, Weed, MDMA and Occasionally Cocaine"

"Caring Social Worker Helps Relocate Many Abused Children to New Homes With Loving Parents and Smokes a Joint or Two Almost Every Night"

"Caring Social Worker Number Two Works in the Same Office as Caring Social Worker Number One, Doing the Same Exact Thing, and Regularly Uses MDMA When Her Fiance DJs At Local Clubs"

"Successful Headhunter/Recruiter, a Kind and Generous Woman, Drinks Wine Every Night"

"Ethical and Justice Minded Policeman Who is Otherwise Law Abiding Himself Uses Steroids Regularly"

"Productive and Accurate Accountant Who Hasn't Hurt a Soul in His Entire Life Periodically Snorts Cocaine, Injects Heroin and Uses Marijuana"

I can get what you seem to be saying, that insanity precedes the drug use. And while that may be true in many cases, perhaps insane people are drawn to drug s, a whole lot more normal people are also using. They live, they work, they don't hurt or endanger others, they just have a vice that is not legally approved, but often once was. Of the people I wrote the 'headlines' about above, all but 2 are fairly religious Christians of one stripe or another, those being Social Worker Number Two, atheist, and the Cop, who is more into Zen Buddism.

delta314

Awards
  • Established
I just cannot believe that someone who injects heroin, (he is an addict, as you cannot use heroin as a recreational drug) can be an outstanding citizen. He is addicted, and cannot function at capacity. What about crack addicts? They say you can become addicted after the first time. A child doesn't get a second chance. It takes over. You use the term "drugs" very vaguely. There are different classes of drugs. There can be no good that comes from crack, pcp, meth, heroin, cocaine... Personally I don't feel that marijuana is in the same class as the above, but for now, it is illegal. It would not hurt my feelings if that law were to be changed, but as for the others, I would never agree.

Do you really think that legalizing drugs would remove the criminal element? Do you think that all the drug dealers, mobsters, gangs, and cartels would just say, "hey, they legalized drugs, lets sell something else"... I doubt they would give up their billions of dollars because the government decriminalized drugs.

Most people are not able to do hard drugs and still hold a job, raise a family, perform in society. They become addicted, and their whole life changes. Priorities change, and the ride is all downhill. You say that it is a victim less crime. That's not true. The person doing the drugs is the victim. Do we have not an obligation to try to intervene and possibly save these people? I'm not talking about the person that smokes a joint before bed, but as far as the other drugs go, I just cannot agree. I've seen way too much damage done to the users, their families, friends, employers.

You can call me what you want, I'm not just following rules without thinking, I've thought about them. And I agree with them. When it comes to drugs, it is not a victim less crime.

Whiskey Steve

Awards
  • Established
Do you really think that legalizing drugs would remove the criminal element? Do you think that all the drug dealers, mobsters, gangs, and cartels would just say, "hey, they legalized drugs, lets sell something else"... I doubt they would give up their billions of dollars because the government decriminalized drugs.
There would not be billions of dollars in it for the dealers if they suddely had to compete with walmarts prices for weed.

(btw I loath walmart)

delta314

Awards
  • Established
There would not be billions of dollars in it for the dealers if they suddely had to compete with walmarts prices for weed.

(btw I loath walmart)
Wal-mart won't even sell music with explicit lyrics.....

Whiskey Steve

Awards
  • Established
But walmart sells beer and cigs so i doubt your music theory would affect them selling weed.

delta314

Awards
  • Established
If they legalize it, I might even have to give it another try...

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
I just cannot believe that someone who injects heroin, (he is an addict, as you cannot use heroin as a recreational drug) can be an outstanding citizen.
Heroin needs to be injected when the purity is low. When high enough it can be snorted,smoked or ingested.

delta314

Awards
  • Established
Heroin needs to be injected when the purity is low. When high enough it can be snorted,smoked or ingested.
It's still an addictive drug with no recreational value. If I'm not mistaken, it was used as a painkiller before it was known how addictive it really was. The people that I've seen using it were zombies....they just sit around staring into space like a vegetable. How much fun can that be.....

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
It's still an addictive drug with no recreational value. If I'm not mistaken, it was used as a painkiller before it was known how addictive it really was. The people that I've seen using it were zombies....they just sit around staring into space like a vegetable. How much fun can that be.....
All opiates are. In your line of work you will see the dregs. Research the history of opiates. You will find that people such as Ben Franklin, Marcus Aurelius, Freud, Poe to name a few either used or were addicts. At this time they were legal and controlled. Heroin was introduced in the US as the "Cure" for the morphine epidemic.
And thought to be safe and non-addictive. Companies sold kits to get high(drugs-needles-vials) in wooden cloth boxes:blink: these are now antiques.

Don`t you know someone who needs thier valium or xanax or diet pills just to get through the day? Or cigarettes or coffee?

I no longer understand what people see in alcohol. But then I am a recovered alcoholic. My 19 and 17 year old sons think thier friends are nutz because they drink beer." Tastes like crap dad and then they act stupid." I`ve never told them what to do or not as far as drinking goes, just as I won`t force Religion on them either, they`ve arrived at this on thier own. And they were young enough they don`t remember the drunk dad much at all.

Whiskey Steve

Awards
  • Established
I`ve never told them what to do or not as far as drinking goes, just as I won`t force Religion on them either, they`ve arrived at this on thier own.
That's awsome.... i plan to do the same when i have children.

(you avatar kicks ass btw)

delta314

Awards
  • Established
I wonder about some of the topics/debates that we have here on AM. I assume that we are all weightlifters, bodybuilders, powerlifters. I made a commitment to myself years ago. I do not smoke, drink, do drugs, and I eat healthy and exercise on a daily basis. I am happy with myself. I find it hard to understand why you would wan't to put chemicals into your body that have the potential to harm you.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
I wonder about some of the topics/debates that we have here on AM. I assume that we are all weightlifters, bodybuilders, powerlifters. I made a commitment to myself years ago. I do not smoke, drink, do drugs, and I eat healthy and exercise on a daily basis. I am happy with myself. I find it hard to understand why you would wan't to put chemicals into your body that have the potential to harm you.
Yes finding a site like this surprised me also. Imagine that musleheads with a brain:rofl:

I know what your talking about just joking above. I get high off of meditative techniques, the ultimate bliss. But in my day I did just about every drug know to man up to that time.

FWIW: I don`t like the term debate. It means closed mind to me. BV had a post about brain scans and a fixed view and it showed what I`ve read from many sources. That the brain locks out portions of itself when we believe we know THE TRUTH.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
People have varied interests and personalities. AM draws us together because we are all interested in fitness. Some, like yourself, lead a very safe lifestyle. Others like to cut loose once in a while. It doesnt mean that one is more dedicated than the other...its a personal choice what someone decides to do with themselves. Just like its a personal choice what religion someone chooses to follow.

I would think that most intelligent individuals knew their limits, and if it they chose to use drugs, they would do so safely and responsibly.

This is a good discussion, but we'll just keep going round and round with this topic until we get bored with it. :D

BV

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
FWIW: I don`t like the term debate. It means closed mind to me. BV had a post about brain scans and a fixed view and it showed what I`ve read from many sources. That the brain locks out portions of itself when we believe we know THE TRUTH.
I remember that one...and it is defintiely true. The brain filters out what it needs to support the view points that you believe to be true. Look how long it took people to realize the earth wasnt flat...some were even put to death for even suggesting otherwise.

BV

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Including anabolic steroids? Some people even think those who deal and take steroids should be arrested for breaking the law.

delta314

Awards
  • Established
Including anabolic steroids? Some people even think those who deal and take steroids should be arrested for breaking the law.
I cannot think of anyone that has ever been arrested for using steroids. Dealing, yes. Now I do know people that have been thrown out of competitions for using, but not arrested.
I look at steroids pretty much the same as marijuana, I'd like to see them legalized for adult use only, but till then, I have to "just say no".

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I just cannot believe that someone who injects heroin, (he is an addict, as you cannot use heroin as a recreational drug) can be an outstanding citizen. He is addicted, and cannot function at capacity.
So your definition of a good citizen, or a definitive part of it, is someone who is, as you put it, "function[ing] at capacity"? Can you please explain what this means, and why, if someone chooses to not function at what you determine to be capacity, that they should be thrown in prison/rehab even if they have done absulutely nothing else to merrit the interest of the law? Do you have any idea how many important, notable and just plain famous people throughout history, who could in little or no way be acused of not functioning at capacity because of drug use, there are? People from presidents, scientists, doctors, artists, actors, musicians, etc. Has it occurred to you that, granting you're right, some people take drugs precisely because they don't want to function at capacity for a given time, and have you ever questioned where and how you get the authority to run their lives for them and prohibit them from making that decision when it affects no one but themselves?

What about crack addicts? They say you can become addicted after the first time.
Drug War propagandists say this, and it doesn't surprise me if that's where you get most of your information. In my own experience and I believe it has been documented as such, crack can be done regularly for a few weeks to a month or so before addiction on the level that would require treatment takes hold. While I've stayed away from crack myself I've known many people who have used it. I know of one who couldn't stop without interdiction out of a group of about forty or so people. Was quite big at my high school for a while too, and while I didn't go to my ten year reunion I know several people who did. Many of those former users are currently lawyers, stay at home moms, teachers, etc. Too bad we didn't catch them and throw them in prison.

A child doesn't get a second chance. It takes over. You use the term "drugs" very vaguely. There are different classes of drugs. There can be no good that comes from crack, pcp, meth, heroin, cocaine...
Your opinion. I've done all the above but crack and meth, and I'm not out there shooting people, nor am I currently doing any of those except an occasionaly few bumps of coke when I go to a club in the city, which is once every four or five months, if that. And while crack and meth aren't my bag I do know people who have used and they are not monsters. More often than not the are students or professionals. But, according to your logic and methods I and them should be sitting in prison, and we so deserve to be there that you'd happily let the prison system release rapists and child molesters early to make room for me and my ilk. To be blunt, that's plain sick, because while in your view children don't get a second chance the system you support sure thinks the people who victimize children deserve a second chance, far more so than someone who got busted with a 50 bag of coke or, God forbid!, ounce of weed.

The nonsense you brought up about how the system treats users different than dealers is also a bit of hogwash. It's another drug warrior propoganda attempt. They will haul out federal statistics on who is in prison, and yes most of the peoplein federal prison for drugs also have a violent offense or twenty to their names. Most of the people serving time for nonviolent drug 'crimes' however are in state prisons and local Jails, not federal prisons. It's a convenient way to skew the reality though to only look at the federal picture. It also helps if you ignore the fact that many drug arrests are the result of sting operations where people busted for small time possession are used/leveraged to catch 'bigger fish', who are most times someone no more important in teh drug trade than the person who was originally busted, but who could simply be manipulated into a situation that resulted in a higher criminal charge than the police could level at the first person they busted. And that they wouldn't have committed the particular incidence of crime they were arrested for were it not for the police, entrapment anyone?, is also conveniently ignored.

Children do not get a second chance, so perhaps spending billions chasing, arresting and imprisoning adults who have not nor would ever threaten a child, sell drugs to a child or otherwise endanger a child, isn't the best way to spend your time and money on this issue.

Or did you mention kids just to get the old "Save the children" shiboleth into the argument? Quite frankly, in the absolute and ideal sense and specifically in response to the save the children crowd, I would have to say **** the children. I'm not endangering them in any way with my actions and I and others like me are the main targets of the war on drugs, so it's quite obvious these people are a lot less interested in 'protecting' children than they are in raising them in a world they find aesthetically pleasing, or one that makes their job easier. If you can't deal with the fact that your precious children will eventually have to live in a world were people do and say things they don't agree with or like, and make choices to live their lives in ways that disagree with your vision of what familial and societal perfection is, don't breed the little pricks.

I swear, sometimes I think the only reason people even have kids is so they'll have what they think is an unchallengable excuse to drag out everytime their busybody attempts to run everyone else's lives are called into question.

Personally I don't feel that marijuana is in the same class as the above, but for now, it is illegal. It would not hurt my feelings if that law were to be changed, but as for the others, I would never agree.
I wouldn't argue drugs are homogenous, but the effect of prohibition is the same no matter how extreme the drug's affects. Bottom line is most people do not want to use extreme drugs, which is why there are a hell of a lot fewer cocaine and heroin users when compared to marijuana users. Prohibition however facilities the introduction of more extreme drugs into the market, mostly for economic reasons. To reduce the cost of transportation, legal risk being one major cost, more concentrated forms of drugs are favored over milder forms where possible. They can often be sold at a higher markup too. Look at the forms of alcohol that were sold during alcohol prohibition. Bootleggers were not interested in hauling around liquid that was 5% or 6% abv, they were hauling around moonshine, grain alcohol, liquid at the highest proof possible. Less had to be moved, risk was more limited, cost was lower. It would then be diluted or just sold as is. Once more, prohibition makes the problem worse, not better. The lack of any legal quality control also leads to more adulterated products on the black market, just as it did during alcohol prohibition.

Do you really think that legalizing drugs would remove the criminal element? Do you think that all the drug dealers, mobsters, gangs, and cartels would just say, "hey, they legalized drugs, lets sell something else"
To be blunt, yes, and to be blunt further anyone who thinks otherwise is either willingly or unwillingly being extremely stupid, obtuse and oblivious, because that's exactly what does happen when you make drugs legal. Is the mafia still bootlegging? No. Why not? Because alcohol is legal and there are few if any black market profits to be made. What black markets do exist for alcohol and as another example, tobacco, are for the most part strictly aimed at cost reduction by avoiding taxes. There's a hell of a lot less violence in those black markets, if any, than there is in our current marijuana, heroin and cocaine markets. There is certainly no violence in the legal market surrounding the manufacture, distribution and sale of these products.

Why the **** would they sell these drugs if they were legal? There is no profit to be made once the black market prices get shattered. Are these dealers selling OTC sleeping pills? No. And the reason they're not selling them is not a lack of demand, it's because the legality of such products means there's no black market profits to be made even though a shitload of people are addicted to these medications. Merk and Pfizer make many products that are just as if not more addictive than most illegal drugs, and that are just as if not more widely abused by addicts. Their sales reps are not gunning each other down in the streets. This point was made before. We have the examples, we have the parallels. There's an obvious difference there to see, for anyone who is willing and mentally able to see it, in how society and the economy deals with legal and illegal drugs with similar levels of addiction and abuse.

I doubt they would give up their billions of dollars because the government decriminalized drugs.
The mafia did when it came to alcohol. If you honestly believe the black market would continue as is after legalization you're in serious need of a few history and economics lessons. This isn't a point where reasonable people can disagree, it's so blatantly obvious anyone who doesn't see it has serious problems of one kind or another, or just doesn't give a ****.

Most people are not able to do hard drugs and still hold a job, raise a family, perform in society.
This belies your bias. In my experience most people can. Perhaps their lives aren't as full or of the quality they could have been. You could say that of someone who doesn't exercise and eats fast food by the ton though. Perhaps they aren't lived in a way you would choose or approve, that's not a proper standard for a law though. And I seriously doubt their lives and the lives of their kids would be improved with a mandatory 25 year prison sentence and mandatory foster care respectively.

They become addicted, and their whole life changes. Priorities change, and the ride is all downhill. You say that it is a victim less crime. That's not true. The person doing the drugs is the victim. Do we have not an obligation to try to intervene and possibly save these people?
No, we don't. Nor do we have the right to do so. Restricting what a person does to themself is not a proper or correct use of the law. There is no objective standard that can be made to determine when and where intervention is appropriate, there is no objective standard that can be made concerning what types of behavior do and do not warrant intervention.

I'm not talking about the person that smokes a joint before bed, but as far as the other drugs go, I just cannot agree. I've seen way too much damage done to the users, their families, friends, employers.
And this damage has continued unabated and has even been exacerbated by the policy of prohibition. Pointing out that many people ruin their lives with substance abuse and addiction does not justify prohibition. People ruin their lives with all kinds of behaviors and substances, drugs and other things, and it is generally recognized their situations would not be made better by a prohibition.

Do you honestly think a return to alcohol prohibition would be a good step to solving the problems abuse of that drug causes? Do you think a prohibition of the most abused but still legal RX and OTC drugs would be the solution there? Do you think the prohibition of high salt, high saturated fat foods like McDonalds is the solution to heart disease? Do you think a prohibition of autmobiles is the solution to drivers who are reckless even when they are sober? Do you think the prohibition of free dating is the solution for people who make stupid relationship decisions that end extremely badly for them and any kids they have? Do you think the prohibition of sex is the way to solve the problem of the spread of STDs due to promiscuity? Do you think the prohibition of violent books, music and movies is the answer to stopping people from committing violent acts, sometimes in blatant immitation of what they've seen, read and heard?

Perhaps a more productive question to ask is not why you want to continue drug prohibition, but why you presumably aren't willing to apply that thinking to any and every other aspect of society where a portion of the population engaging in some activity has a negative experience or causes someone else to have a negative experience? Certainly some of the religious people you mentioned in your earlier posts take their religion to the point of abuse. I think we're all aware of a select group of Muslims intent on taking that faith to its extreme to the annoyance and often the death of many others. Shall we ban religion? Where does it end, where does it stop, what's the standard by which you can judge and decide what substances/behaviors are okay and which deserve the special treatment of prohibition?

You can call me what you want, I'm not just following rules without thinking, I've thought about them. And I agree with them. When it comes to drugs, it is not a victim less crime.
There are many people in prison who would disagree. Once you open up the legal definition of a "victim" to include a person who does something unpleasant to themselves you not only open up any and every behaviour with a possible personal negative consequence to an unending flood of regulation and criminalization, you also butcher the English language and the human condition.

If you do something to someone against their will they are a victim. By definition you cannot do something to yourself against your own will because it is your choice. That it can be a difficult choice is irrelevant. That a person may make the wrong choice, or have trouble making the right choice is irrelevant. They are not a victim. Defining them as such nullifies any meaningful definition of choice, responsibility, desire, consequence, intent and the human will. It reduces humans to the level of animals, acting on instinct and not choice, chasing every momentary thrill and pleasure with no thought of the consequences in the immediate or distant future a true possibility. Or, to be more to the point, it places humans who make choices you disagree with on that level, which I guess makes it easier to destroy their lives with ridiculous prison sentences and self defeating policies.

Last edited:
CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Although I won't do it again ever and would not recommend the drug overall to anyone, speaking from personal experience reading Trainspotting description gives you a good idea.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I cannot think of anyone that has ever been arrested for using steroids. Dealing, yes. Now I do know people that have been thrown out of competitions for using, but not arrested.
I look at steroids pretty much the same as marijuana, I'd like to see them legalized for adult use only, but till then, I have to "just say no".
I can. I can also think of several people who were not dealers of steroids or other drugs, who got calls from 'friends' asking if they could hook them up, and then when they made the 'sale,' something which they didn't profit on, just made their money back from the purchase they made off their source, they were arrested. It's another convenient way the government uses to convince people they're going after dealers and not users. They ignore the fact that it was them and/or their informant, who likely was busted for possession, who created the circumstances and often created the dealer out of no where. But most people buy this **** without question.

The Experiment

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Now how does this tie into phony christians in politics?...
Most Christians in general are phonies. They froth at the mouth at the idea of two men getting married and abortions but regularly break Commandments, ignore original seven sins (especially money), and ignore Jesus's teachings in general.

Another thing to point out is the irony of the Bible, drugs, and modern society. Narcotics directly means "numbing" but originated from Narcissus. Narcotics isn't about the addiction of drugs. Its about the isolation from society. Worshipping false idols. In the addict's case, its drugs. However society is rampantly materialistic, which is no better than an addiction.

Psalm 115:4-8​

Their idols are silver and gold, the work of human hands.
They have mouths but do not speak, eyes but do not see.
They have ears but do not hear, noses but do not smell.
They have hands but do not feel, feet but do not walk, and no sound rises from their throats.
Their makers shall be like them, all who trust in them.
The zealotry towards financial wealth, materialism, is almost as damaging, if not more, than crack or heroin. Yet we never see the issues addressed. The pursuit of the bigger house, nicer car, the coolest clothes. Its barely any better than drug addiction. All both are doing is substituting reality with a substance. I'm not suggest we burn all our new technologies but still. Its pretty much the forgotten and ignored addiction.

delta314

Awards
  • Established
Where do you get off saying that I would happily let the prison system release rapists and child molesters early to make room for you and other users? When did I ever say anything like that? If you want to know how I feel about them, there would be plenty of room in jail for the drug dealers because I would put every rapist and child molester to death, first offense. You don't agree with me and you try to make everything I say seem like I'm out to destroy the world just to throw a bunch of drug addicts in jail. Sorry, but they just don't mean that much to me. You speak of all these wonderful people you know who do drugs regularly, doctors, lawyers, mothers.....well, I've seen the mothers who do drugs also. I've seen their dirty little children with sores all over them, hungry, sick, while mom and dad sit around their filthy little hole of a house smoking crack.
You say I get my information from drug war propagandists, well, the information I hear from you seems to be pro drug propaganda. The story you tell is drugs are ok and everyone should be left alone to enjoy them. I don't agree. And I don't buy that crap about all the wonderful people doing drugs. I've never taken any of these wonderful people to jail. But I have taken the scumbags and thieves, and perverts, and most of them were high on something. And if I need a doctor, I sure don't want one that is stoned operating on me.

delta314

Awards
  • Established
I can. I can also think of several people who were not dealers of steroids or other drugs, who got calls from 'friends' asking if they could hook them up, and then when they made the 'sale,' something which they didn't profit on, just made their money back from the purchase they made off their source, they were arrested. It's another convenient way the government uses to convince people they're going after dealers and not users. They ignore the fact that it was them and/or their informant, who likely was busted for possession, who created the circumstances and often created the dealer out of no where. But most people buy this **** without question.
Seems like friends in the drug world are pretty worthless. Why would a friend do that to another friend? What type of sentence do you get for possesion of steroids that you have to make a deal and turn in your firends? All my years on the streets and I've never seen anyone busted for steroids. Seems like you know all the good drug users and all the drug users with really bad luck...