Chris T's journey to powerlifting

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah I echo one plate for deficits. When I pulled off of stacked horse stall mats, I would literally only use a 3/4 " deficit. Now I use one metal 45. Too much and the lift gets really weird. I'm familiar with the cube layout, I've ran it twice, put two people on to it, and have followed about eight logs on it. Were just imparting our experience. You'll have a hard time with deficits from the jump but you'll get better at them quickly and they will carry over to your floor deadlift.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Ok well i felt good pulling off of two plates but i can go down to one if you think i should. It felt weird at first but i had no problem going full ROM 385 for 6. Honestly after the reg DL and block pulls that 385 felt almost hilariously light.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's good. Building momentum. It will get hard soon, that's how these training cycles work.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Training looks good Chris.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah I echo one plate for deficits. When I pulled off of stacked horse stall mats, I would literally only use a 3/4 " deficit. Now I use one metal 45. Too much and the lift gets really weird. I'm familiar with the cube layout, I've ran it twice, put two people on to it, and have followed about eight logs on it. Were just imparting our experience. You'll have a hard time with deficits from the jump but you'll get better at them quickly and they will carry over to your floor deadlift.
This.

IME, a deficit is the best tool to teach someone how to effectively pull out the slack, creating tension, and cueing knees out. Anything over 1-1.5" changes the biomechanics into either squatting the bar up or just a SLDL.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Shoulder day

Shoulder press

95x10
135x8
155x5
185x5 (added a little leg drive after 3)
200x1 (PR strict press)
200x5 push press
225x5
185x5
155x5
135x5

Seated DB shoulder press
70x8
80x6x2
75x8
70x8
65x8

Preacher curl SS/ upright row
90x8x3/100x8x3

Tricep press SS/ db lat raises
100x8x4/25x8x2, bump up to 30x8x2

Skullcrusher SS/ db front raises
90x8x4/ 30x8x4

Hanging leg raises SS/ decline sit ups
15/30
15/20
10/10

15 minute stair climber to finish off.
Thanks for reading.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice workout Chris, congrats on that PR then some nice work on them push press after!

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Nice workout Chris, congrats on that PR then some nice work on them push press after!
Thanks bro. Thats how i always do my OHP strict til i cant lift it then push press heavier. Its a good overload to my strict shoulder press.

Socalmk6gti

Socalmk6gti

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Almost like coated with truck bed liner. But theyre like decagon on the outside with flat sides so theyre awkward and shift every time i put them down.
They have those at most 24 hour fitness, I've almost wrecked my back a few times doing DL's because they shift so much hitting the ground. And of course most 24hours don't like you dropping weights.

Just read through this, amazing progress. I'm in! I've never power lifted, so I'm in here looking to observe and learn as much as I can along the way. I love trying new things in the gym.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
They have those at most 24 hour fitness, I've almost wrecked my back a few times doing DL's because they shift so much hitting the ground. And of course most 24hours don't like you dropping weights.

Just read through this, amazing progress. I'm in! I've never power lifted, so I'm in here looking to observe and learn as much as I can along the way. I love trying new things in the gym.
Cool brother glad to have you here

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Monopump from Nutraceutical Innovations. Follow along if you're interested in hearing my experience with it.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Good thing i followed my instincts and only took one of those burn sample pills. Holy crap.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Today was a chest/arms accessory/hypertrophy-ish day

Incline bench
135x10
185x8
205x5
185x5x2
175x6
155x8
135x10

DB flat bench SS/ spider curls
100x10x4/80x8x4

Incline DB press SS/ Incline DB FLY
70x10x3/40x10x3

Incline hex press SS/ hammer curls
60x8x3/35'sx10x3

Weighted dips SS/ standing EZ bar curls
45X10/90X10X3
90X8
45X10

Tricep pushdowns
72.5x15x3

3x10 chinups BW

Cable Tricep kickback
22.5x10x2

15 min stairs

Pump is ridiculous

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Trying low bar right now... Not comfortable ugh

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
It started feeling better after the 4th set or so... But then when i did my sets of oly squats they felt uncomfortable. Dang it lol

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Squat day! And it was a tough one...

Low bar squats (ugh)
135x10x2 (trying to get used to the new positioning)
225x8
275x3x8 (yeah 8 sets)

Oly squat
295x5x2

Paused squats
255x8x3

Note: felt like i was gonna puke halfway through the paused squats.

DB walk
3x30sec
80's, 90's, 95's

Lying leg curls
3x15 @110

Pullups
3xAMRAP

NOTES

Overall successful day. My first squat day using cube kingpin and felt like i was gonna puke several times. Felt uncomfortable alot. And now can barely walk.
Thats it. Thanks for reading.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Trying low bar right now... Not comfortable ugh
Had my friend do it for the first time last night. She bitched the whole time then hit a 40# PR

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Had my friend do it for the first time last night. She bitched the whole time then hit a 40# PR
Lol nice. Yeah it started feeling better after a few sets in. It was just weird at first figuring out the posture and where to put my hands on the bar. Had to put wrist wraps on after a couple sets cause the pressure on my wrists hurt.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lol nice. Yeah it started feeling better after a few sets in. It was just weird at first figuring out the posture and where to put my hands on the bar. Had to put wrist wraps on after a couple sets cause the pressure on my wrists hurt.
Wide hands are your friend on low bar squats. I'm just inside of the collars. That's a nice day, lots of work.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Yeah the way my racks are set up the rack is just inside the collar so im going just inside that.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice work, those legs should be feeling that tomorrow.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Yeah im sure they will be from how they feel right now lol

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are you taking a thumbless grip on the squats?

If not, I'd try that and it may help.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
I honestly cant remember if i started thumbless and had to switch to with the thumb or the other way around but i know i started one way and had to switch cause it was too uncomfortable. Lol i guess ill figure it out my next squat day

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can't low bar except for thumbless. Wrist wraps over 70%, and thumb on ring. I'd prefer a wider grip but the bar would slide down my back.

Keep at it, you'll find your groove.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Had to hit a quick one today cause my wife had been alone with the kids all day.

Back and bis accessory day

Bent over row SS EZ barcurl
135x10x3/75x10x3

Pendlay rows
185x10x3

Iso-lateral row machine

3platesx10
4px10
5px8
4px10
3px10
2px10

Iso-lateral high row
2px10
2p+25x10
3px10
3p+25x10

Smashed it quick today like i said. Had a pump like ive never had in my lats. And thats for real im not just saying that. And its kinda crazy ive got new vascularity in my legs on a day where i didnt do any legs or cardio at all. So far im very impressed with this Monopump.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Bench day! Im sunburnt and tired after roofing all day.

Comp bench
135x10
185x8
225x8
5x2 @255

CGBP
3X6 @225

BENCH pause 1" off chest
2x6 240

Lat pulldown
4x15

DB lateral raise
25's 3x10

Pullups
3xAMRAP
10, 9, 7

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ah, what a beautiful day to be on a roof! Hah! I would've been upset to roof today, 82 degrees over here. I did a little patch job at home yesterday evening. My calves refused to participate the rest of the day.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Yeah it was the first time I'd been on a roof that long for quite a while. My body isnt very happy with me now

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I had to replace my flat roof by myself unexpectedly in the middle of my contest prep. I was 3 weeks out and had to take a week off to replace my roof since it started leaking horribly after a serious storm. Talk about a stressful time!

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
I had to replace my flat roof by myself unexpectedly in the middle of my contest prep. I was 3 weeks out and had to take a week off to replace my roof since it started leaking horribly after a serious storm. Talk about a stressful time!
Yeah thats no fun

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Deadlift day

Conv. DL
135x10
225x8
315x3
335 8x3

Blockpulls maybe 1.5"
365 2x5

Deficit deads
315 3x8

Supinated grip lat pulldowns
4x15

DB shrugs 3x10
80's, 90's, 70's

DB WALKS 3x30 sec
80's, 90's, 80's

Notes: Had chinups at the end i was supposed to do but my forearms were so pumped from all the lifts i had already done i could barely hold on to the DB's for the walks.

Those deficit deads thrashed me too. All in all an uncomfortably successful day.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice work!

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Nice work!
Thanks bro. I gotta tell you after roofing the last couple days i havent exactly wanted to get into the gym but i did it anyways cause i love it even when im so tired it doesnt sound attractive.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thanks bro. I gotta tell you after roofing the last couple days i havent exactly wanted to get into the gym but i did it anyways cause i love it even when im so tired it doesnt sound attractive.
Yeah after roofing the last thing you want to do is bend over and pick up something heavy... Way to go for crushing the deads after that!

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
True story. I hurt my back pretty badly squatting after ripping shingles for a day. Since then I've learned a lot about bracing and prehab, but I also learned to listen when my back is talking to me

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Went to a BBQ with some friends from church today and i realized that you know you're getting the results you want when everyone is poking fun at you for being too big lol

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Went to a BBQ with some friends from church today and i realized that you know you're getting the results you want when everyone is poking fun at you for being too big lol
Always a good feeling!

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Shoulder/arm day

Shoulder press
95x10
135x5
185 5x2

Seated DB shoulder press SS/ front raises
70x8x3/30's x10x3 each side

DB lateral raises SS/ upright rows
30'sx8x3/90x8x3

Rear delt fly SS/ skullcrusher
25's x10x3 /90x10x3

Preacher curls SS/ overhead tricep press
80x10x3/90x8x3

Abs decline situps SS/ hanging leg raises
30/10
15/10
15/10

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice work and looking good Chris!

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Nice work and looking good Chris!
Thanks bro. Feeling great. Feeling strong and my muscles are fuller and fuller every day. Im gonna be logging Burn Xtreme from Nutraceutical Innovations soon so im looking forward to seeing how lean i can get. All in all very happy with my training and my results so far.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Got tickets for this yesterday. Was surprised something like this is coming so close to home for me. If you dont know what it is youtube it. Its gonna be so fun. Bringing the kids and my sister and brother in law and their kids. Gonna be a good time.

Attachments

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Got tickets for this yesterday. Was surprised something like this is coming so close to home for me. If you dont know what it is youtube it. Its gonna be so fun. Bringing the kids and my sister and brother in law and their kids. Gonna be a good time.
Oh man that will be so much fun! Those guys are fools!