Chest shoulders and triceps lagging

justdoit40

justdoit40

Awards
All of my pushing muscles are lagging not too sure why i have a big back, big legs, big biceps but chest shoulder and triceps all soft and unproportioned should i up the volume for these groups? Heres my routine tell me if i should up the volume and maybe that will solve my problem

Its a push, leg, pull routine that i try to do no more then 5 days a week

Day 1 push
Military 3 sets 8
Bench 2 sets 8
Incline 2 sets 8
Dips 2 sets 10
Side raises 1 set 15
Triceps pushdowns 1 set 10

Day 2 legs
Wide stance squat 4 sets 12
Stiff legged deads 2 sets 12
Leg press 3 sets 12
Calve raises 2 sets 30

Day 3 pull
Pullups 4 sets 10
Bb rows 3 sets 10
V bar pulldown 2 sets 10
Chinups 1 set (f)
Face pulls 2 sets 15

Then take 1-2 days rest and repeat!

My chest shoulders and triceps and lagging bad im wondering what i should do any help is great!

Ill post a pic too and this is with a pump unflexed so you can def tell that without one I'm lagging!

Attachments

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
add a fourth day of pushing each week for a month. if it doesnt balance, do another month.

by lagging, do you mean in size or strength or both?

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What's very possible, besides being genetically inclined for those bodyparts to not adapt as quickly, could be shortened pec minor affecting growth.

I don't see a lot of rear delt work which would help balance that out, if it is an issue.

Also, its very possible that the technique you use on your lifts isn't allowing for proper pectoral recruitment. A common case of ego lifting, you may very well be using too much weight and not maintaining tension in the target muscles.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
rear delts are the most over looked muscle i see everyday.

justdoit40

justdoit40

Awards
So what do you guys think i should do? I don't ego lift i got over that phase a while ago im only doing 150x8 haha controlled reps do i need more volume? And i hit my rear delts more then medial and anterior.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
you only have 4 chest and 4 delt sets. not enough volume, i go atleast 12 sets on chest on a low day. also this assumes your diet in adequate

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
All of these smoke the anterior (and medial) deltoids.
in that case if his delts are lacking then training would not be the reasoning behind the lack of growth. i personally wouldnt consider dips in my shoulder development.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
in that case if his delts are lacking then training would not be the reasoning behind the lack of growth. i personally wouldnt consider dips in my shoulder development.
I'm not entirely sure they are lacking. He doesn't look abnormally large in other body parts but my main point with that post was to his comment that he works his posterior delts more than his anterior or medial.

And on that note, dips are a phenomenal mass builder for the entire upper body. Shoulders, Tris, Chest, the whole nine yards.

justdoit40

justdoit40

Awards
I'm not entirely sure they are lacking. He doesn't look abnormally large in other body parts but my main point with that post was to his comment that he works his posterior delts more than his anterior or medial.

And on that note, dips are a phenomenal mass builder for the entire upper body. Shoulders, Tris, Chest, the whole nine yards.
Note that i had a pump in my chest shoulders and tris in this pic so they appear bigger then they are! Im thinking add in 2 sets of db press and what shoulder exercise and how many sets are you guys thinking?

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Note that i had a pump in my chest shoulders and tris in this pic so they appear bigger then they are! Im thinking add in 2 sets of db press and what shoulder exercise and how many sets are you guys thinking?
What are you current maxes and training experience?

I think you'd make more progress with a proven program such as:

Wendlers 5/3/1
Westside for Skinny Bastards

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
i agree in that dips are an upper body squat.

TexasGuy

Awards
You just need to get bigger in general, OP.

You don't have big biceps. Maybe in relation to your triceps but as a whole you are pretty small.

I'm not being mean but you have to have mass before you can bring up lagging parts. Keep working, in 20 lbm pounds or so, re-assess as you continue to build.

Once you actually build some muscle you will look thick, have seperation and shape.

whaz

whaz

Awards
What are you current maxes and training experience?

I think you'd make more progress with a proven program such as:

Wendlers 5/3/1
Westside for Skinny Bastards
5/3/1 all the way. It has worked amazingly for me. I feel like it's a solid all-around workout plan that has taken my strength and size to higher levels all around.

brendan808

Awards
It could be muscle genetics on why some lag and some excel. You just have too sculpt yourself, if something lags you focus on it for a while(not letting up on others) until your happy with it. I had knee surgery so my legs are lagging, so i hit my legs a lot harder than i would other parts, and I'm starting to see them explode and catch up with the rest of my body.