Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

And if it’s high, do something about it ASAP. There’s no reason in this day and age to leave it unaddressed doing constant damage. We aren’t afraid to build muscle unnaturally, so it makes no sense to avoid unnatural solutions to health complications if necessary. You don’t get points for toughing it out - you get dialysis or an earlier grave.

Home BP monitors are more affordable than ever online. If you use an arm cuff, make sure you get one that fits the diameter of your arm.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah fitting the arm is important. I forget the figures, but using too small of a cuff can throw off your numbers by like 10 points or something.

beefyfan

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Yeah fitting the arm is important. I forget the figures, but using too small of a cuff can throw off your numbers by like 10 points or something.
So if I test my BP at say a CVS or drug store and the cuff is small does that mean BP is likely to read higher than it really is?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I think a standard cuff fits up to a 17 or 18 inch arm

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Haven’t linked anything in a while, hopefully that works.

Its only one study that I know of, but using a medium cuff caused higher readings for bodybuilders.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ugh it's like you guys posted this directly to me. Great discussion

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
So if I test my BP at say a CVS or drug store and the cuff is small does that mean BP is likely to read higher than it really is?
It's usually going to be higher at anywhere when you've been 'on the move'. The most accurate way to measure is having sat down a few minutes being relaxed.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
120/80 last time I donated blood.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Right on par! I need to get one and just check my BP every morning.
Even once a week, like a Sunday morning ritual or whatever. Then you never spend a long time not knowing what’s up. You will have no idea if you don’t check.